Three days.

Reading the Gospel at church yesterday (John 20:19-31) was struck with two thoughts.
1 why did Jesus die for 3 days?
2 why were the noted resurrection appearances a week apart?

Comments

• I’m not sure he “died for three days.” He died on the first day, remained dead on the second day, and rose on the third day.

I think the simple answer is two-fold: the second day, the day he remained dead, was the Sabbath. Circling back to the last words from the cross—“it is finished/accomplished”—echoes Genesis, where God finished creation on the 6th day, then rested on the Sabbath.

Then the rising on the first day of the week (the day Genesis says light was created) inaugurated a new creation.
  • Gramps49Gramps49 Shipmate
    The tradition in Palestine at the time of Jesus was that a person was not considered formally dead until after three days. There were many instances at the time of Jesus where people were considered dead but then they would revive. At three days one would be considered really dead.
  • Uhm I thought that was four days and an explanation for why Jesus waited to raise Lazerus.
  • Gee DGee D Shipmate
    No idea about that tradition, but the standard understanding of the 4 days for Lazarus has long been that it was to show he was well and truly dead - "he stinketh"