Ship Downtime Information

Wesley JWesley J Shipmate
The New Ship here seems to have been down for a couple of hours early on Sunday morning, 6 May 2018, UK time (GMT +1). I found out by a Shippie's Skype message and then checked on the Old Ship, here, where others posted the same observation.

Could I kindly ask whether this was scheduled maintenance, and if so, where on this New Place such a thing would be announced? My apologies if everything seems clear; I am still trying to find my bearings, occasionally. I'd be gladly pointed to a thread and/or post where outings might be officially commented on.

Thank you for all your good work.
Tagged:

Comments

• peasepease Tech Admin
    It wasn't maintenance. Technically, the forums were still up, but unavailable, due to "connectivity issues" at the hosting company, which meant nobody could connect to the server over the internet. It was unreachable for something like 4 hours.

Scheduled maintenance is announced in Styx.
  • BroJamesBroJames Purgatory Host
    I’m glad to know it wasn’t just me then
  • My thought was that someone had turned the server off (or a power cut) so the server needed turning on again
  • GalilitGalilit Shipmate
    I thought someone was being deliberately horrible to me personally
  • LothlorienLothlorien All Saints Host
    pease wrote: »
    It wasn't maintenance. Technically, the forums were still up, but unavailable, due to "connectivity issues" at the hosting company, which meant nobody could connect to the server over the internet. It was unreachable for something like 4 hours.

Scheduled maintenance is announced in Styx.

Thanks for info, Pease. I wasn’t sure if it was downunder trouble as it seemed to be more than a glitch onboard. Was wary as a couple of days ago the 000 emergency number went down over almost three Aussie states. A lightning strike had fried a major connection. Left a hole in ground and a mass of molten wiring and some very unhappy people who had to drive to fire station to call firemen out.
  • peasepease Tech Admin
    There was another short outage a few minutes ago due to the hosting company performing some emergency maintenance on the servers, related to yesterday's problem.
  • Wesley JWesley J Shipmate
    Thanks, pease!
  • SusanDorisSusanDoris Shipmate
    BroJames wrote: »
    I’m glad to know it wasn’t just me then
    Yes, me too.

• EutychusEutychus Admin
    edited May 2018
    This morning my brilliant refutation of allcomers' arguments was rudely interrupted by the following message for a while:
    The server is temporarily unavailable to service your request due to maintenance downtime or capacity problems. Please try again later.

Apache/2.4 Server at forums.shipoffools.com Port 443

Just for the record.
  • I got a server unavailable message too - not as informative as I was on my phone
  • peasepease Tech Admin
    edited May 2018
    That's a generic message that the server generates when the backend's not responding. Usually it's a short-lived glitch, but not always.
  • peasepease Tech Admin
    The ship will be going down for a shortish period of maintenance tomorrow (Thursday) morning, before 10:00 (UTC+1).
  • balaambalaam Shipmate
    How. Will. I. Cope?
  • balaam wrote: »
    How. Will. I. Cope?

Or. me. Gah.
  • peasepease Tech Admin
    All done.
  • Too late, I'm already in withdrawal.
  • Golden KeyGolden Key Shipmate
    Thanks, pease! :)
  • peasepease Tech Admin
    The ship will be going down for a period of maintenance tomorrow (Sunday) morning, before 10:00 (UTC+1).
  • Going down, but not sinking, we hope!
  • peasepease Tech Admin
    All done.
  • That was incredibly quick. Thank you.
  • peasepease Tech Admin
    The forums will be down for a short period of maintenance tomorrow (Monday) morning, before 10:00 (UTC+1).
  • peasepease Tech Admin
    Maintenance done.
  • I must have blinked and missed it. Thanks!
  • Thanks, pease, and everyone who keeps the Ship going.

BTW, did any of what was going on have to to with wildly enlarging everything on the page? That may well have been something on my end.
  • peasepease Tech Admin
    It shouldn't have had any effect on the size of anything.
  • peasepease Tech Admin
    The company hosting this website has scheduled server maintenance between 22:00 on Wednesday 21st and 03:00 on Thursday 22nd (GMT¹). The forums are likely to be offline for up to 30 minutes during this period.

¹or UTC, if you prefer.
  • LydaLyda Shipmate
    Thanks for the heads-up.
  • Ditto.
  • peasepease Tech Admin
    edited November 2018
    Turned out to be more like 40 minutes, from just after 22:00.

I trust you all survived the experience...
  • Just. The straitjacket finally slipped from around me at about 3.00 this morning...
  • peasepease Tech Admin
    The forums will be down for a short period of maintenance tomorrow (Tuesday) morning, before 10:00 (UTC+1).
  • peasepease Tech Admin
    edited April 2
    All done...
  • Golden KeyGolden Key Shipmate
    Thx! :)
    Thanks for your work.
  • MaryLouiseMaryLouise Shipmate
    Yes, gratitude for all who work so hard to maintain the new Ship.
  • HuiaHuia Shipmate
    I should have read this thread. I went into withdrawal for a few minutes worrying that everyone would miss my words of wisdom (snigger).

Seriously though - thanks to all who keep us afloat with the behind the scenes work. Much appreciated.
  • EutychusEutychus Admin
    edited April 2
    Thanks for relocating the servers to San Seriffe following the emergency yesterday, @pease.
  • Amanda B ReckondwythAmanda B Reckondwyth Mystery Worship Editor
    You know about the "Unknown column 'Active' in field list" error when you try to edit a comment, don't you?
  • peasepease Tech Admin
    edited April 2
    I do now...
    I had that too. Absolutely no idea what it meant.
  • RossweisseRossweisse Shipmate
    Thank you, @pease.