Is there another Eamon Duffy?

I'll admit to being a fan of Eamon Duffy's various books? To me he brings the spirit of pre-Reformation English worship to life, and in a very accessible way. I read and re-read his books I have. It is clear what side he is on, but I don't mind that in an author.

Firstly, is there a similarly accessible author who may write about English, or Welsh, Scots, liturgy and piety to life before the Reformation?

Second, is there an equally accessible author who writes on the new forms of worship during and post the Reformation, in the British Isles or Northern Europe?

Thanks.

Comments

• Jengie JonJengie Jon Shipmate
    I do not think as entertaining as Eamon Duffy but certainly quite accessible were the big works of Horton Davies. Only please remember he is a Congregationalists writing; so when he says 'traditional forms' he only indirectly means 'the Book of Common Prayer' and more likely talking of the hour-long sermon, extemporary prayer, singing of Isaac Watts metrical psalms and communion after tea break with afternoon Sunday School.

• EnochEnoch Shipmate
    Climacus wrote: »
    ... Second, is there an equally accessible author who writes on the new forms of worship during and post the Reformation, in the British Isles or Northern Europe? ...
    If you can find copies in a library, you might find Nicholas Temperley's Music of the English Parish Church in two volumes or anything else by him, a profitable read.

• ClimacusClimacus Shipmate
    Thank you both. I'll see what I can find.
  • AmosAmos Shipmate
    You might also (though he's not a scholar of the subjects you mention) enjoy the work of Eamon Duffy's old friend and sparring partner, Pat Collinson, who writes wittily and cogently on the Reformation from the Protestant point of view.
  • AlbertusAlbertus Shipmate
    One Eamon Duffy, there's only one Eamon Duffy, Du-u-fi-o-o, Du-u-fi-o-o... :smiley:
  • ClimacusClimacus Shipmate
    :smiley:

Thanks Amos!