Senior Moments

Guessing I am not the only senior on The Ship, I think we need a thread for us very grown up folk. A place where we can complain about our aches and pains, share the joy of hearing aids and walking sticks, and tell all what you use to cover the gray. Anyone want to celebrate your senior discounts, or talk about your brilliant grandchildren?

Comments

• BoogieBoogie Shipmate
    edited May 2018
    Oh yes - I now get free prescriptions, excellent!
  • WildHaggisWildHaggis Shipmate
    I get free prescriptions, free bus pass and free swims and aqua-fit here in Cardiff. Yippee.

Brilliant grandchildren - only got one (so far). He was due on Christmas Day but decided that he wanted Christmas presents as well as birthday ones, so held off until 28th. He's great at sticking out his tongue. Wish he lived nearer. We'll see him next Friday, yippee.

Has anyone got a skeleton in their cupboard, in good condition, 5' 3"? Or WD40 I can have intravenously. Mind you I can now dye my hair bright red with impunity now I'm over 60!!

• FirenzeFirenze Shipmate, Host Emeritus
    Ah, the joys of Not Giving a Damn.
  • Firenze wrote: »
    Yes last year at 78 I decided let the gray be gray and have not looked back. Have to admit now that it is almost all silver it looks better then the natural mouse colored two tone shade it was a few years ago. I have also given up the heels for flats, I saw a lady of age with a walker and wearing 3 inch heels. Bless her heart.

• Tree BeeTree Bee Shipmate
    I’m over 60, have retired from paid work. I’ve 2 beautiful (of course) grandchildren, and am grateful for free prescriptions and the odd concession at the theatre and such. But I’m still spitting at the fact that I don’t get my state pension or my bus pass till I’m 66.
  • LothlorienLothlorien All Saints Host
    Firenze wrote: »
    Yes last year at 78 I decided let the gray be gray and have not looked back. Have to admit now that it is almost all silver it looks better then the natural mouse colored two tone shade it was a few years ago. I have also given up the heels for flats, I saw a lady of age with a walker and wearing 3 inch heels. Bless her heart.

After years of streaks in hair from DIL hairdresser, I could not be bothered continuing with them. Current hairdresser remarks each time on my silver locks. She loves them. Certainly saves on the upkeep and on the mess when colour is growing out.

• Amanda B ReckondwythAmanda B Reckondwyth Mystery Worship Editor
    I used to tell my doctor that I was becoming increasingly aware of my joints. Now at age 73 it seems that some muscles ache too. Kneeling (or, more precisely, getting up from a kneeling position) is quite the ordeal. I never could understand why old people curtsied rather the genuflected in church -- now I do!
  • PigletPiglet All Saints Host, Circus Host
    I'm not sure if I'm allowed on this thread, as I'm "only" 56, although I'm eligible for SAGA holidays (not that I can afford them), and was offered the seniors' discount at a restaurant several years ago.
    ... at 78 I decided let the gray be gray ...
    My m-i-l did that several years ago; when I first knew her, she had it a sort of auburny brown, then she went blonde for a few years and then, probably in her early 80s, she let it go white (it's a lovely, pure white), and it really suits her.

I've been covering up my greys since my early 40s*, and while they're becoming more numerous, I'm not quite ready to let them run riot yet.

* I remember standing in front of the mirror in a hotel in Reykjavik on my 40th birthday, suddenly noticing a few grey hairs and frantically plucking them out.

It seemed significant that they'd appear on that particular day ... :worried:
  • HuiaHuia Shipmate
    Today I am officially a senior citizen and have a Gold Card to prove it. In NZ government superannuation kicks in at 65, along with free public transport between 9 am and 3pm on week days (although I think some cities have it available again in the evening) and all day in the weekend. My bank also stops charging fees (probably because there is no money in the account anyway).

I know that one electrical goods seller offers discounts, but have yet to investigate other vendors offering special deals. In the past the local supermarket has had discounts available for Gold Card holders on Tuesdays, but I don't know whether they still do.

I already have glasses and hearing aids and I take my Nordic walking poles with me everywhere because of the uneven footpaths ( caused by earthquakes). One unintended consequence of the poles is that kids stand up for me in the bus, although my greying hair is also a factor there.
  • MMMMMM Shipmate
    I feel a bit guilty about getting prescriptions free as I'm over 60 (not that I've needed any yet) (although I didn't have to pay for my recent eye test). I think perhaps it should be linked to pension age, rather than a blanket 60.

I don't mind having to wait for my pension until I'm 66 too much, although it's a bit inconvenient. It always seemed daft to me that men and women got their pensions at different ages and it's clear that the pension age needs to rise.

My old person's rail card is great.

MMM
  • BoogieBoogie Shipmate
    I gave up heels this year too @Graven Image. I used to love my very high heels - but now - liberation! :mrgreen:
  • My wife says we're "older adults" because senior makes her think we have to get walkers. My father is a senior (he's 90 or 91, there's conflicting info).
  • BoogieBoogie Shipmate
    Seenagers :smiley:
  • DormouseDormouse Shipmate
    I am bald as a coot at the moment, due to chemo. I await new growth with interest - will it be the same rat-brown, or will I be grey (I was finding quite a lot of grey before losing it)? Will it still be fine and straight, or will I be given curly as a change? We shall see.
    And AmandaBReckondwyth I hear you, sistah! My knees are very painful - I can't kneel unless I have a cushion, and getting up is a nightmare! And due to being overweight, having painful knees and having poor upper body strength I got myself trapped in a deep bath...It was slippery and I couldn't hoik myself out. That was an unpleasant experience!
    Dormouse wrote: »
    I got myself trapped in a deep bath
    The smartest thing I ever did was to invest in one of those walk-in bathtubs. What a luxury it was to relax in a deep bath but not have to worry about standing up from it or getting out. Standing up was no more difficult than rising from a chair, and to get out I merely stepped through the door opening.

Unfortunately that was in my condo, which I sold a year ago. I'm now in a rental apartment that has a standard bathtub. Too narrow to take a bath in even if I was able to stand and get out when the bath was done (which I can do only with the greatest of difficulty!).

Pity, as I much prefer a bath to a shower. Occasionally I'll find a hotel in my travels that has a tub wide enough and long enough to accommodate me, but getting out is still a problem.
  • HuiaHuia Shipmate
    I have a cheap version of one of those kneelers, but my back hurts more from using it as the user is kneeling higher above the garden bed, so more bending is necessary. I always keep the large fork embedded nearby in case I need assistance getting up. I would love the 2'' thick kneeling pad though as I've never found one that thick here. The ones I do own are smaller and thinner and have been commandeered for feline comfort and the kneading of claws.

I have a bath and a shower. When I bought the house a bath was an absolute requirement (because reading in the shower wrecks books :wink: ), but after the old shower was damaged by an earthquake I had to put in a new one, which combined with a new hot water cylinder, is absolute bliss.
    I clearly have sloth DNA when it comes to exercise - but I chivy myself out to t’ai chi twice a week. I credit donyus with keeping the knees working.
  • I sit cross-legged on the floor a lot anyway and at Guides every week and am trying to do it more now I realise that it's important to keep that flexibility.
  • MiffyMiffy Shipmate
    I’ve recently taken up Pilates again and am hoping it’ll help hold back the ravages of time.

I’m also allowing myself just a little excitement in that I’ve less than a year to go until I’m eligible for my Senior Railcard. It’ll save me a fortune!

Unless the powers that be decide to move the goalposts in the meantime.
  • BoogieBoogie Shipmate
    Miffy wrote: »
    I’ve recently taken up Pilates again and am hoping it’ll help hold back the ravages of time.

So have I :mrgreen:
    My experience of pilates is that it points up the ravages of time in a decidedly marked manner.

As does yoga.

Otoh, my Carry Tiger to Mountain is better than ever.
  • Penny SPenny S Shipmate
    I got out the loyalty card for a local store and realised my bus pass was out of date. checked the pile of my post put aside to be dealt with - no sign. Emailed the local gov. office, and was told one had been issued, but not used, so must have been lost in the post and they would send another one. Checked the pending pile again, and the pile of not important stuff that can wait. No trace. The new card arrived very quckly, went to replace the old one in its wallet in the zipped pocket in my bag.

You can guess where this is going, can't you?

Wrapped round the wallet was a folded paper which had escaped attention before. Inside the folded paper, which was th eoriginal letter from the council, was the original replacement pass. It arrived over a month before needed, so I must have just slipped it in the bag ready.

Have grovelled to lovely lady on council.
  • daisydaisydaisydaisy Shipmate
    At my latest birthday I began to get free prescriptions and treated myself to a rail card - a bus pass is a future dream, if it still exists by the time I get there, I had great plans of using it but those will have to wait.

On that birthday I acquired a discount card for a large DIY chain, only to find I got a better one for that chain with my pension as I had worked for them. Not that I plan to use it much!

My hair went white a while ago, and as it had been so dark that no dye worked on it I changed it to pink which I love, although it needs redoing and I'm mustering the confidence to try a beetroot concoction.

just over 3 years ago I was fortunate to be offered voluntary redundancy so began a sort of retirement - lots of voluntary work with a bit of paid work via exam invigilation and electoral services posts. But a recent broken leg has meant that I have had to cancel much paid & voluntary work, so I am seriously considering being more retired that I had been.

I will have no grandchildren to boast of, but on the other hand I will not be asked to do grandparently duties and it's only the cat that I need to think about.

Due to aforementioned leg breakage I have an embarrassment of gadgets that one might associate with seniority - 2 walking frames, a trolley, a stool and a knee walker (another on order) but these will disappear in a few weeks and I'll be back to normal (whatever I want that to be).
  • Not 60 till early next year. It's been many years though since I voluntarily knelt. Getting down is ok - getting back up is a bugger. I blame it on playing too much 5-a-side soccer in my 20s & 30s - I usually played in goal and was over fond of diving about on the hard floors, although I did wear knee-pads.

I try to cycle regularly and that's good. But I've just been prescribed tablets for (mildly) high blood pressure. Looks like I'm on them permanently now. Can't complain - it's pretty much the first health problem I've had since childhood.

I've amazed myself in recent months by starting to think longingly about retirement.

No grandchildren (or any likely, either). Never been a problem for me but there are a few couples in our church who have just become grandparents and have gone decidedly gooey!
  • NenyaNenya Shipmate
    I'm 58 but as I have December birthday I'll be 60 next year. No grandchildren yet - will be wonderful if and when it happens. I didn't have good experiences of either Pilates or yoga but have in the past few years developed an appetite for Zumba and on a good week I'm up to four classes. Sometimes it's the only thing that alleviates the periods of low mood/depression that I'm susceptible to.

Dealing with the very grey hair with woven highlights, administered at a price by my very friendly hairdresser. I was naturally blonde so got away with doing nothing for a good long time, but now it's a necessity. I had 25 grey hairs in my fringe when I was 25 - yes, I stood at the mirror and counted.

Nen - not yet ready to Embrace The Grey.
  • ChoristerChorister Shipmate
    I used to think I was getting old. But now I have grandchildren, I feel really old. But a great delight to see the world through their eyes, with everything being fresh and new. They live too far away though, so only one way to rectify that...
  • jedijudyjedijudy Heaven Host
    I covered my gray for years with a color as close to my normal strawberry blond as I could get. Now, I regret it. About ten years ago, I just let it go, and it turns out a lot more red has showed up in my hair, which I would have enjoyed. So, now I'm a calico! Red, white and gray. (And my hair dresser finds clumps of golden blond, which is a hoot!)

Senior moments can be really fun. We can still make our adult children roll their eyes, and the grandchildren get a huge kick out of that! :blush:
  • Hair! I forgot about my hair!

When I see myself in a photo, I am still surprised at how grey my hair is - it doesn't look that grey when I am looking at myself in the mirror.

I've never had any inclination to try and colour it. Mrs Teasdale has coloured hers for years - so much so that it's hard to know exactly what colour it is now in "real life". She's adamant that she's not going to colour it anymore and will let her natural colour grow through - I remain sceptical about that.

(I will confess, though, that I check my eyebrows regularly and any obviously grey hairs are plucked. Such vanity!)
    When I began turning grey (somewhere in my 40s) I began coloring my hair too. At first, just touch-up. Finally the whole kit and kaboodle. I stopped when I turned 60.

My sister, five years my junior, was a natural blonde when we were kids. She began coloring her hair red sometime in early adulthood. She recently had to stop on doctor's orders -- a medication she is taking causes her scalp to itch. And lo and behold -- she discovered that now she's a natural redhead!
  • Mr Image and I are around the same age. This morning happened to be a day when we needed to help each other get some chores done. ( example turning our what now seems very heavy mattress) We decided knowing what we know now we should have both married someone way younger. I told him polygamy may not be such a bad idea, as long as the second wife would dust all things near the floor and be able to climb on ladders. .
    Chorister wrote: »
    ... now I have grandchildren, I feel really old ...
    My mother-in-law said that becoming a granny didn't bother her in the least, but when D. turned 40, she felt ancient - "I can't be old enough to have a son who's 40!". He's now 62 ... :astonished:

I won't be having any grandchildren either, but the year I turned 50, I also became a great-aunt, which seemed like a bit of a double whammy!

• LeoLeo Shipmate
    Penny S wrote: »
    went to replace the old one in its wallet in the zipped pocket in my bag.

You can guess where this is going, can't you?.

Similarly, I thought I'd lost all my credit andother cards, cancelled then all, got new ones and then found the old ones in a compartment of my briefcase.
  • What is this hair of which many of you speak?

I started going a bit thin on top quite a few years ago, but about 6 years back decided that a comb-over was not an option.

I now give myself a DIY Number Nought once a week, and was delighted to hear from a young lady acquaintance that it gave me the look of a certain actor - think Patrick Stewart, with a short goatee beard!
    :grin:

Free prescriptions, free bus pass, heating allowance every December - what's not to like?

Also, of course, the excuse Not To Givvadam....
    :wink:

IJ
  • Bald is beautiful.
  • I'm on the young end (54) to be including myself here, but an injury to my hip has required the occasional use of a cane first thing in the morning. I'm unmarried, no children, so no grandchildren, just a terribly charming great grand nephew and two godsons, all of whom I love deeply. I told friend of mine when he took me out for my birthday dinner that the best thing about getting older is that I owe no one an explanation. You want an explanation? How does "Fuck off" suit you?
  • NenyaNenya Shipmate
    Patrick Stewart... mmm... :smile:

Not Givving-a-Dam is something I need to keep working on and hope my skill develops as my age enhances. I find it hard to balance against my perceived responsibilities to beloved family and friends.
  • Bald is beautiful.

You are so right....!
    :wink:

IJ

• LeoLeo Shipmate
    Depends on the shape of your head.
  • Alright seniors, so much for grey hairs, when did you first notice your memory going a bit iffy? I'm not yet 50, and now the 'aha, *that's* what I was searching for' moments come in with less of a sharp crack and more of a wet splodge. 'aha - perhaps *that* is what I had thought I might have been trying to remember' :smile:
    I've been somewhat absent-minded for years. One moment I'll resolve to do something and then promptly forget all about it in the next moment. I've never really thought much about it -- it's just me. But lately "senior moments" have been occurring now and then. I don't know if they're just an extension of my absent-mindedness or something to worry about. I think the former.
  • I was happy to read somewhere that as we age our memory files get full and take a bit of sorting. When we were age 5 we perhaps knew 1 Mary, as we age we add more and more Marys to our memory so when we are trying to remember the name of someone named Mary our mind has to filter back through all the Marys we have ever known and it may take a while to make the connect. This means when I see Mary and can not remember her name it explains why at 2 AM I wake up to go to the bathroom and suddenly remember Mary. It is my excuse and I am sticking with it, even if I doubt that it is true.
    I think we all have moments of absent-mindedness like that: who's never gone upstairs or into another room and had to go back again in order to remember why?

I often find myself if we're out saying to D. "When we get in, remind me I need to set a batch of loaves going*/put the bin out/whatever". Not that he often does remind me - he's even more "senior" than I am ... :mrgreen:

* The bread machine takes 2 hours, plus proving, rising and baking, so remembering just before I go to bed is un fat lot de bon.
  • HuiaHuia Shipmate
    And slow cookers need to be turned on early if it's tonight's evening meal that you're cooking . Yes, I can write myself a message on the fridge - which I forget to look at the next morning. :confounded:
    edited June 2018
    I have to think about a week in advance* if I'm cooking something in the slow-cooker for a specific event - will it need to cook overnight, or should it be started in the morning? If the former, how far in advance will it have to be turned on for the contents to be at the right temperature when we want to eat them?

* slight exaggeration

eta: my kitchen-timer has just pinged, reminding me it's time to take the bread out of the machine - I'd better go!
  • I make shopping lists and then forget to take them with me.
  • The Doorway Effect - that getting upstairs and forgetting why you'd gone there - is a known phenomenon. Going through doorways wipes the memory.
  • I make shopping lists and then forget to take them with me.
    I do too, but the action of writing them does reinforce what I need in my mind, so I usually remember almost everything. When I get home, the thing I needed most is, of course, the thing I forgot.

• I've found that my memory has been improving since I finished working in a particularly stressful job. It seems that my poor little brain could cope with only just so much, and any extra just fell off.