DH ruling in Purg lighter?

LeRocLeRoc Shipmate
Some two weeks ago, biblical inerrancy was discussed rather extensively on the Universalism thread. Now, on the Social-Progressive thread, people are discussing the gay-bakery-cake case.

Not to criticise the Purg hosts, but has DH ruling in Purg become lighter? A big reason for DH's existence is to free Purg from these discussions, concentrating them in a separate place. I rather liked that, and am a bit unhappy with seeing them pop up in Purg again.

Comments

• GwaiGwai Purgatory Host, Epiphanies Host
    I do not speak for the other Purgatory hosts but for me it's about what is the essential issue. The gay bakery case is coming up in many posts, but they are still really arguing about social progressivism. If we moved the discussion to DH, everyone in DH would wonder on earth SPism was and what Russ was on about, and so forth.
  • My rule of thumb is a) whether the OP is on a Dead Horse topic b) whether a Dead Horse tangent overwhelms the thread. The Universalism thread ventured down the inerrancy road but then returned (before dying a death over dispensationalism).

Dead Horses qualification has never been a Ship version of Godwin's Law whereby the merest mention of a DH topic gets the thread sent straight to Hell. That might tempt certain Shipmates in the way those informational radars displaying your speed tempt some drivers.
  • LeRocLeRoc Shipmate
    Gwai wrote: »
    If we moved the discussion to DH, everyone in DH would wonder on earth SPism was and what Russ was on about, and so forth.
    I wasn't thinking about asking for the thread to be moved. But I have the feeling that in the past, something like this would get a hostly nudge quicker: "If you want to discuss the gay bakery, please take it to DH."

(PS Even with the thread being in Purgatory, I don't have a clue what SPism is and what Russ is on about.)

Eutychus wrote: »
    The Universalism thread ventured down the inerrancy road but then returned (before dying a death over dispensationalism).
    Okay, and people may have different perceptions about when it has veered into such a road for too long. As a Host that's your call, fair enough.
  • SP = social progressive (not sure anyone knows exactly what that means though)
  • NenyaNenya Shipmate
    I'm interested to know why the "Other faiths receiving communion" thread remains in Purgatory when closed communion is specifically listed as a Dead Horse subject, please.
  • Hi @Nenya, it looks like nobody answered your question immediately, probably due to the hosting changes and various bits of shore leave, so having spotted it, I'll venture an answer.

To the best of my recollection, the decision to keep it where it was resulted from the fact that it addresses the question of communion being extended to those of other faiths, and not communion excluding other Christian traditions/denominations.
  • Barnabas62Barnabas62 Purgatory Host, Epiphanies Host
    Sorry I missed this, Nenya. Given I wear both Purg and DH Host Hats, it's probably right that I reply.

The OP topic is wider than the DH topic. That issue was created as a Dead Horse specifically to cover closed (and open) communion policies as they affect Christians wishing to receive communion as visitors to churches of different denominations to their own. (That was a recurring topic in the early days of the Ship, but it has been very little discussed in recent years and there has been some discussion about removing it from the list of DH topics).

As the thread has developed, discussion has ranged much wider than the DH topic so I think the decision to leave it in Purg was a good one.
  • Eutychus wrote: »
    Hi @Nenya, it looks like nobody answered your question immediately, probably due to the hosting changes and various bits of shore leave, so having spotted it, I'll venture an answer.

To the best of my recollection, the decision to keep it where it was resulted from the fact that it addresses the question of communion being extended to those of other faiths, and not communion excluding other Christian traditions/denominations.
    Eutychus wrote: »
    Hi @Nenya, it looks like nobody answered your question immediately, probably due to the hosting changes and various bits of shore leave, so having spotted it, I'll venture an answer.

I would question whether it has stayed there. It appears to have wandered right into the DH territory, and is wallowing there.
    That's fair. I'll stick a guideline on the thread.
  • NenyaNenya Shipmate
    Thank you for coming back to me about it.
  • Sorry to resurrect this thread, and I hope this doesn’t come across as snitching or wannabe-junior hosting, but I was wondering what the Hosts' view was of the "I have a problem with the OT" thread in Purg, which seems to have deviated quite heavily into DH areas of creationism/evolution and inerrancy of Scripture: are you hanging on to see if it will return to the OP's subject? I don't have a dog in that fight since I haven't been part of the thread, although I'll admit from a lurker's point of view it was slightly frustrating that an interesting discussion seems to have devolved into the topics that are covered now.
    Quite right. I've redirected traffic.
    edited October 2018
    And on further reflection, decided to use the new Split Thread facility to move the Horsey posts to a new Dead Horses thread, entitled "OT difficulties - a Dead Horse diversion."
  • Thanks, Barnabas.
  • Thank you, Barnabas.
  • LeRocLeRoc Shipmate
    Happy with Mamacita's decision.