Here's tae us, wha's like us

Comments

• Piglet wrote: »
    I don't think any self-respecting Scot would use the word "Scotch" as an adjective in any other way, unless the next word is "whisky".
    Probably not even then. Whisky is distilled in Scotland, if a national identifier is added it's to mark it out as an inferior imitation from some other part of the world. Regional identifiers ("Speyside", "Islay" etc) may be included.

Maybe if in some heathen land it might be necessary to educate the locals and specify "proper whisky, from Scotland".
  • There's a wonderful Footlights song called 'Whales should live in Wales'!

(or is it the other way round?)
  • I guess most of us have been in church youth groups or student societies, recreating the story of Jonah in a modern setting where he gets on a plane and bales out in the storm to land in Wales.
  • Wales and whales don't sound the same with a Scottish accent. Just saying...
  • And whales are not fish ...
  • Baptist TrainfanBaptist Trainfan Shipmate
    edited February 12
    Cathscats wrote: »
    Wales and whales don't sound the same with a Scottish accent. Just saying...
    My wife has this problem doing the "Zygolex" word puzzle in the i newspaper. Words which it rhymes are ones which she doesn't.

Mind you, I had a friend from north Kent. To him, a "bison" wasn't a large animal but a bowl to wash your hands in.

• FirenzeFirenze Purgatory Host, Host Emeritus
    And whales are not fish ...

“The whale is, in fact, an insect...”
  • PigletPiglet All Saints Host, Circus Host
    I occasionally have to think in an English accent for the same reason as Mrs. BT when doing the Grauniad crossword.

Mind you, it would be a right bore if we all had the same accent, wouldn't it?
  • Cathscats wrote: »
    Wales and whales don't sound the same with a Scottish accent. Just saying...
    My wife has this problem doing the "Zygolex" word puzzle in the i newspaper. Words which it rhymes are ones which she doesn't.

Mind you, I had a friend from north Kent. To him, a "bison" wasn't a large animal but a bowl to wash your hands in.
    I have that problem. The i's puzzles are not written in a Yorkshire accent either.
  • Many thanks!
  • CathscatsCathscats Shipmate
    Today my son, known on another thread as CatsGiraffe, turns out for the first team. Shinty. And we live in the village where shinty is king and (since I have been minister, though I don't know if anyone else has noticed that) where the teams have been the most successful of late. So the Giraffe has his call up, unexpectedly. In football terms it is like getting called up for Celtic or Rangers. Even if he gets called for the firsts again, even regularly, nothing will feel this special again!

P.S. It is cold and raining and he rather hopes to be mainly on the bench!
    Best of luck, Cat's Giraffe!
    He came in freezing after an afternoon on the bench! But not downhearted, as no one could say the loss - yes, they lost - was his fault!
  • Martin54Martin54 Shipmate
    I'm a Clarke that is of that sept of the Camerons. Just finished Espedair Street by Mr. Banks. Love his use of Scots. It has tae be read oot lood. One of my alter egos is Scots, especially when feeling whimsically cynically tight mouthed. I flew up to Glasgow on IT business February 2001 I think it was. I brought the rain from Luton and remarked upon this to the nice lady in reception at some giant engineering works HQ in the centre. I apologized for bringing the English weather with me. "Oh nohhhh." she said, "It's nice, it's warm.". 'O'-level physics explained what she meant. Latent heat of condensation. A day later it was gorgeous. I stood smoking a cheroot with my face in the sun as did the non-smoking daffodils. I went inside and commented on the lovely day, "We'll pay fer this!" she said.

Shall I tell of mine host Wee Stevie Fife? And the cleverest Scots retort to an English comic at the Fringe?

The IRA tried to kill me at the '71 Tattoo, so I'm entitled.
    School is closed for a snow day here - busses cannot (or will not) run!
  • I do not miss snowy mornings spent with the Aberdeenshire Council website open, and the kids constantly refreshing in the hope of an announcement that their school bus was cancelled.

The North East Loon would stay in his PJs till the last possible moment, whilst saying "Mum! Clatt's closed! We might be next!" despite the fact that we live nowhere near Clatt.
    What will be particularly joyful today is that I think nearly all the rest of Scotland is already on Easter holidays, but the Highland Council still tries to take in Easter in the holiday, so that term doesn't end until this Friday...
  • Jengie JonJengie Jon Shipmate
    Oh, St Andrews University is back after its 'Easter'* holidays.

*They call them 'spring' for a reason.
    Yes, I have a niece there studying for her finals. I didn't at first realise that that brief time she had home earlier was her Spring break.
  • Jengie JonJengie Jon Shipmate
    edited April 3
    Yes St Andrews has always been rigid in its term timing. There may have been slight changes (I think they now make more of Meal Monday as it marks the change in semesters) but in my time the timetable was:

10 weeks Martinmas term
    3 weeks Winter break
    10 weeks Candlemas term
    3 weeks Spring break
    9 weeks Whitsun term

All this is set so as New Year falls in the second week of the Winter break. Since time immemorial, some years students have celebrated Easter during term time. I am finding it weird as here the students do not even go down until this Friday.
  • Wet KipperWet Kipper Shipmate
    Our (West Lothian) schools are still "in" this week, our holidays are the 2 weeks in the run-up to Easter
    When Easter falls as late as it does this year, the schools risk running into the start of the O grade exams. D. and I got engaged on a very late Easter Sunday (many moons ago); he was teaching, and had just come back from "Easter" holidays and would go back to work on Easter Monday.

@Cathscats - you're in good company: it's been snowing for several hours here, and we've got about 6 inches. :cry:
  • Piglet, you are behind the times. O Grades are no more - they're called Nat 5s now. At least Highers are still called Highers.
    :blush: Elderly piglet ...

Do they still happen at the same time though? When I sat them (crikey - 41 years ago!) they began before the end of April, so the teachers presumably needed one last week of cramming before Block Release started.
    Yes. My Giraffe will be back at school for two days after the holidays before he starts his study leave, and so effectively leaves school except for his three exam days. I don't think any of his are in April this year, but the exam schedule begins the week of April 28th.
  • Stercus TauriStercus Tauri Shipmate
    Today's useful life tip: Before going to a funeral, switch off your mobile. Do not leave it in your sporran set to vibrate.
    Is that the Voice of Experience I hear blushing there, ST? :mrgreen:
    I took a funeral last year where I was told that they had placed a phone in the coffin with the deceased "so that he can get the shinty scores". And yes, they had left it on, so I was glad no one tried phoning during the burial or the service!

Folk religion is alive and well.
  • Stercus TauriStercus Tauri Shipmate
    Piglet wrote: »
    Is that the Voice of Experience I hear blushing there, ST? :mrgreen:

Keeping very quiet on this...
    I'm of to the Church of Scotland's General Assembly tomorrow - for the whole week. Since I have been made a Teller, I will have to sit through pretty much everything - no popping out to avoid the bits that make me cross (my usual habit). Apparently the Tellers will, this year for the first time, each have to have an assigned seat beside a microphone, to help people get the things to work with their swipe cards. This means there should be less of otherwise intelligent people putting cards in upside down and then pressing the button more than once so that the whole thing goes haywire - it's funny the first time or two but gets old.

Anyway, now that they have Wi-Fi in the Assembly hall, if anyone wants some running updates, I could be persuaded to oblige. (Not that you want to hear about the Queen's letter and the other rigmaroles that take so much time, make people feel unduly important and are nothing to do with the Kingdom of God - not that I have any opinions about this, you understand!)
  • Wet KipperWet Kipper Shipmate
    Sounds fun, Cathscats. I have some friends and family who are CoS ministers, but I'm not sure how much they will be in attendance.
    It's not every minister every year. You go on average every three or four years, depending on how your presbytery works things and if they send retirees. (They shouldn't. Filling the place full of retired people remembering how it was in their day does not help. There is an elder to every minister and most of them are in the retired category... Opinions, no, not me!)
  • Nick TamenNick Tamen Shipmate
    Anyway, now that they have Wi-Fi in the Assembly hall, if anyone wants some running updates, I could be persuaded to oblige.
    Oooo. Not Scottish, but me! Me! I actually do follow it online most years. (If you’re a PresbyGeek like me, The GAJunkie is a must-bookmark site.

It's not every minister every year. You go on average every three or four years, depending on how your presbytery works things and if they send retirees.
    This always interests me. Here, most ministers probably go to GA 1–3 times in their career.

• I'd love running updates!

I didn't get a photo because I was driving, but yesterday I saw a sign outside a church in Dundee which said "Jesus is looking for sinners" with a picture of a pair of binoculars. Apparently sinners are so few and far between in Dundee that Jesus needs binoculars to spot them....
    It’s changed a lot then...

I see the good weather is ending, and Saturday promises to be cool and wet and normal.
    Nick Tamen wrote: »
    Anyway, now that they have Wi-Fi in the Assembly hall, if anyone wants some running updates, I could be persuaded to oblige.
    Oooo. Not Scottish, but me! Me! I actually do follow it online most years. (If you’re a PresbyGeek like me, The GAJunkie is a must-bookmark site.

It's not every minister every year. You go on average every three or four years, depending on how your presbytery works things and if they send retirees.
    This always interests me. Here, most ministers probably go to GA 1–3 times in their career.

Gosh, that's a blog page I could never imagine anyone devoting themselves to. This year we will be largely about re-structuring, and not before time, because everyone has been saying that things need to change for years and then thinking that the saying was the doing. Finally someone has said that you can't change things at presbytery level without changing the centre at the same time (and vice verse). I think most of what is proposed is a Good Thing, but there will be the anti change people, and those who think that to debate structure is a waste of time (though the structure is what pays their stipends) and those who seem to think that if we just prayed more it would be 1956 (Cof S high point) again.

Will I put my occasional comments etc on here, this thread? Or should I start another one?
    I’d say here. It’s not like there’s a lot else going on in Scotland.

Until Indyref2 obviously.
    Nick Tamen wrote: »
    ... PresbyGeek ...
    I must find an excuse to use that word sometime! :smiley:
    ... but there will be the anti change people ...
    In a church? Surely not!!! :mrgreen:

PS I agree with Firenze that this thread's fine for GA observation and discussion - it's been fairly quiet recently.
    OK, in my place, having run the gamut of just one placard this year (no sex on the agenda for once). Edinburgh looking suitable chaste not to say dreich and damp, just how you want it. And we're off. Trumpets are sounding outside for the high heid yins.
  • tangent // - I lost marks in a French translation for translating something - can't remember the French- as one of the "high heid yins" instead of "a big fish." Although the teacher did say that "high heid yin" showed I'd understood the French perfectly. // end tangent
    We have had 17 former moderators enter, then three men dressed by playing cards, a man with a mace, a man whose job is to carry a velvet purse (oh yes), and the Lord Provost of Edinburgh with the First Minister all processed in with the Lord High Commissioner.

Worship. The swell of Psalm 121 sung unaccompanied by 900 voices (there are about 100 visitors).

New moderator elected, Colin Sinclair,Mano will be a steady pair of hands, slightly old fashioned in his manner of speaking.

Next up is the letter from the Queen....
    Retiring Moderator ends her address by challenging HM gov. re asylum seekers. Well done her!
  • tangent // - I lost marks in a French translation for translating something - can't remember the French- as one of the "high heid yins" instead of "a big fish." Although the teacher did say that "high heid yin" showed I'd understood the French perfectly. // end tangent

That should have been allowed - standard English really doesn't get there. It's a bit like the beautifully precise description of a person's medical condition: "Is she affa nae weel, or just nae affa weel?"
    Afternoon about to begin, and it looks as though it should not be too startling (the startling stuff is Monday and Tuesday) but I'll keep you posted.
    Worship. The swell of Psalm 121 sung unaccompanied by 900 voices (there are about 100 visitors).
    Tune?

There is only one tune for "I to the hills will lift mine eyes". I think it is called French, but sometimes is known as Dundee.
    Absolutely right - and with the long notes - metrical psalmody at its best. :smiley:

I'm kind of surprised it was unaccompanied though - don't they have an organ?
    They do, but it was a Psalm! Organs only came in in the 1870s and Psalms were sung long before that. Even my husband (like your D a professional organist) sometimes suggests we sing a Psalm u accompanied.
    On Monday I have been asked to help with the precenting of the introit for the Communion service. I had probably better wear a skirt. Maybe.

P.S. Predictive text does not like the verb to precent. All sorts of alternatives offered before it shrugs its showers and says "Have it your way, but you must be wrong!"
    There is only one tune for "I to the hills will lift mine eyes". I think it is called French, but sometimes is known as Dundee.
    Thanks. That’s the traditional tune here—and it’s on my “funeral list.” But I've learned on the Ship not to assume that what know as the traditional tune for a psalm or hymn in the PC(USA) is the traditional tune elsewhere. :wink: