Here's tae us, wha's like us

124»

Comments

• Piglet wrote: »
    I don't think any self-respecting Scot would use the word "Scotch" as an adjective in any other way, unless the next word is "whisky".
    Probably not even then. Whisky is distilled in Scotland, if a national identifier is added it's to mark it out as an inferior imitation from some other part of the world. Regional identifiers ("Speyside", "Islay" etc) may be included.

Maybe if in some heathen land it might be necessary to educate the locals and specify "proper whisky, from Scotland".
  • There's a wonderful Footlights song called 'Whales should live in Wales'!

(or is it the other way round?)
  • I guess most of us have been in church youth groups or student societies, recreating the story of Jonah in a modern setting where he gets on a plane and bales out in the storm to land in Wales.
  • Wales and whales don't sound the same with a Scottish accent. Just saying...
  • And whales are not fish ...
  • Baptist TrainfanBaptist Trainfan Shipmate
    edited February 12
    Cathscats wrote: »
    Wales and whales don't sound the same with a Scottish accent. Just saying...
    My wife has this problem doing the "Zygolex" word puzzle in the i newspaper. Words which it rhymes are ones which she doesn't.

Mind you, I had a friend from north Kent. To him, a "bison" wasn't a large animal but a bowl to wash your hands in.

• FirenzeFirenze Heaven Host
    And whales are not fish ...

“The whale is, in fact, an insect...”
  • PigletPiglet All Saints Host
    I occasionally have to think in an English accent for the same reason as Mrs. BT when doing the Grauniad crossword.

Mind you, it would be a right bore if we all had the same accent, wouldn't it?
  • Cathscats wrote: »
    Wales and whales don't sound the same with a Scottish accent. Just saying...
    My wife has this problem doing the "Zygolex" word puzzle in the i newspaper. Words which it rhymes are ones which she doesn't.

Mind you, I had a friend from north Kent. To him, a "bison" wasn't a large animal but a bowl to wash your hands in.
    I have that problem. The i's puzzles are not written in a Yorkshire accent either.
  • Many thanks!
  • CathscatsCathscats Shipmate
    Today my son, known on another thread as CatsGiraffe, turns out for the first team. Shinty. And we live in the village where shinty is king and (since I have been minister, though I don't know if anyone else has noticed that) where the teams have been the most successful of late. So the Giraffe has his call up, unexpectedly. In football terms it is like getting called up for Celtic or Rangers. Even if he gets called for the firsts again, even regularly, nothing will feel this special again!

P.S. It is cold and raining and he rather hopes to be mainly on the bench!
  • PigletPiglet All Saints Host
    Best of luck, Cat's Giraffe!
  • CathscatsCathscats Shipmate
    He came in freezing after an afternoon on the bench! But not downhearted, as no one could say the loss - yes, they lost - was his fault!
  • Martin54Martin54 Shipmate
    I'm a Clarke that is of that sept of the Camerons. Just finished Espedair Street by Mr. Banks. Love his use of Scots. It has tae be read oot lood. One of my alter egos is Scots, especially when feeling whimsically cynically tight mouthed. I flew up to Glasgow on IT business February 2001 I think it was. I brought the rain from Luton and remarked upon this to the nice lady in reception at some giant engineering works HQ in the centre. I apologized for bringing the English weather with me. "Oh nohhhh." she said, "It's nice, it's warm.". 'O'-level physics explained what she meant. Latent heat of condensation. A day later it was gorgeous. I stood smoking a cheroot with my face in the sun as did the non-smoking daffodils. I went inside and commented on the lovely day, "We'll pay fer this!" she said.

Shall I tell of mine host Wee Stevie Fife? And the cleverest Scots retort to an English comic at the Fringe?

The IRA tried to kill me at the '71 Tattoo, so I'm entitled.