Here's tae us, wha's like us

Comments

• CathscatsCathscats Shipmate
    And it fell. Gutted.
    Now on to antisemitism, and it's definition.
    (I have suggested to a colleague that there may be another chance to bring divestment under another heading later in the week....)
    And suddenly sex has come up! To do with SU Scotland's revised lifestyle policies. It seems that it may say that you can't work with them if you are not straight (though it won't say that in so many words) and that therefore there may be trouble with the school authorities. But now someone from SU says it doesn't say that or mean that. Always knew that sex would appear at some times.
    Now we are one the usual vexed question of the CofS properties in Israel. And money.
    I spoke! Knees did not knock.
  • Day 4 C of S FB photos - 9 photos. 3 all male and 6 mixed.
    The first photo is of rugby player Doddie Weir and his wife Kath. It's been posed so that Doddie is looking at the camera while his wife gazes up adoringly at him.

The Guild Big Sing! 23 photos - 3 all male, 2 all female, 17 mostly female (shots of the audience) and one of the front of the building.
    Interestingly, someone has commented "Men in the pulpit, women in the congregation - the Guild / the Church of Scotland can do much better"
    There was one woman speaking, but she was photographed from a distance and from behind so that although you can tell she's female (peach top, floral skirt) her face can't be seen. Whereas the male speakers have been photographed focussing sharply on their faces with the audience in soft focus behind.

Day 5 - 9 photos 4 mixed, 3 all female and 2 mostly female.
    All 9 photos include Nicola Sturgeon, the three all female shots comprise two of Nicola and one of Nicola with Susan Brown.
    It gladdens my heart, but I still don't see "my" Church of Scotland, full of active and involved women, reflected in these photos.
  • There are short film clips on the C of S FB page, too, but I have done something very foolish. The NE loon asked if he could borrow my speakers and I agreed without a second's hesitation.

It wasn't until I tried to listen to the radio via my computer that I realised that without my speakers, my computer is mute..... (I know, I know!)

Thus, I can comment on the C of S FB photo albums but not on the clips.
  • BroJamesBroJames Purgatory Host
    Plug in some headphones/earphones, maybe?
    Very male this morning as the military chaplains are in the building. And I am in the refectory getting on with prep for next week.
  • BroJames wrote: »

I normally plug my headphones into the speakers...
    Ministries Council reporting now. Neil Glover the convener is always good value.....
    Big discussion about the proposal to restrict candidates to training in one or two universities - not yet decided which - in which candidates for ministry may train (always taking distance learning into consideration). Because there are not enough candidates in each of the current 5 universities for them to offer tailored courses. Some people very cross about this. Some people are not listening.
    BroJames wrote: »

I normally plug my headphones into the speakers...
    Ah. On my laptop the audio out is a standard 3.5mm socket, and will take either speakers or ear/headphones with standard 3.5mm plugs. (Apologies if I’m telling you something you already know…)
  • Anything you tell me about computers / speakers / etc etc, BroJames, will be something I do not already know.
    Former moderator referring us to the past, when this assembly has been all about the changed present and future.
  • ForthviewForthview Shipmate
    I enjoyed a short visit to the General Assembly this morning - a talk by a naval person thanking military chaplains for all that they do. There was an impressive array of military chaplains, army, navy and air force present I don't know if they were all from the Church of Scotland. after that there was an interesting talk and discussion about the various difficulties faced by those in the ministry.

When a break was called at 11 a.m .I went straight across the road to the 'other place' the General Assembly of the Free Church of Scotland. Although I should have known I was amazed to see only Fathers and Brethren, certainly no Mothers and Sisters. Instead of the large number of Commissioners at the Church of Scotland there were about 50 of the Fathers and Brethren AND it struck me quite forcibly that there seemed to be among them many more young people than present at the CofS Assembly AND there were only three people watching from the public gallery when I went in, though more arrived later , including some who were obviously tourists who had just wandered in.

Again the Free Church Commissioners were discussing the difficulties faced by ministers , including the differences between' Edinburgh man' and 'Western Isles' man.

As I expected there was more quotation of scripture than one might hear at the GA of the CofS, although I can't really talk since I wasn't there apart from this morning.

At 12 noon the doors were locked and all were upstanding for the courtesy visit of the Lord High Commissioner, his Grace, the Duke of Buccleuch and Queensberry. He told us that Her Majesty informed them all of her desire to uphold Presbyterian church government in Scotland. His Grace then told us that he had seen in London a document signed by Her Majesty on 8th February 1952,two days after her accession promising solemnly to uphold Presbyterian church government in Scotland. He gave a very nice and at times moving speech. The Moderator (Free Church) gave him a shepherd's crook as a present, made up in Skye by a former policeman who was 'still sorting out crooks' and being assured of the loyalty and affection towards Her Majesty of the Fathers and Brethren the Lord High Commissioner left - after the doors were unlocked.
    This is so ironic. We are right now hearing from the Committee on Ecumenical Affairs, and no one has mentioned that the Free Chruch of Scotland has its GA meeting next door. But it might be why there was someone at the gates at lunch time offering me a tract. Now hen I said I had heard the Gospel, he asked me (loudly) "So why would you be walking into a place of damnation?"
  • I knew because I've been keeping an eye on the GA Junkie blog Nick Tamen linked to!
    I've got enough to keep my eye on!
  • PigletPiglet All Saints Host, Circus Host
    I'm reminded of the old joke about a Scot being marooned on a desert island. Many years later, he was rescued, and his rescuers were puzzled that despite being quite alone he had built two churches. "It's quite simple", he explained, "that's the church I go to, and that's the one I don't".

I wonder if the two Assemblies are held in close proximity so that people can say "that's the Assembly I go to, and that's the one I don't"? :mrgreen:
    They are held in close proximity because they stem from the same root, and in fact the Assembly Hall we use belonged to the Free Church (and New College was a Free Church college) until the union of 1929. What is now known as the Free Church is the descendant of that part of the Free Church which did not reunite. So they set up shop next door.
    Exceptionally tedious morning, fitting in a lot of admin stuff (not saying it is not important, but...). I am getting a train home in a couple of hours, and only hope we might reach Mission and Dicsipleship (i.e. what we are really about) before that.
  • ForthviewForthview Shipmate
    And that is why that 'rump' of the former Free church, with its strong points in the Protestant Western Isles is popularly known as the Wee Free Church.

Reminds me of the French translation of a popular book about middle class Edinburgh life written by Alexander McCall Smith and called '44 Scotland St' In this book there was mention of the Wee Free Church and the translator had added in a note an explanation as to what the Wee Free Church was. First of all she explained that it was free in doctrine.Then she explained that 'wee' is a Scottish word meaning 'small' And so she explained to her French readers that it was a church which was a little bit free in its ideas.
  • There were actually three GAs in Edinburgh last week, as the Free Church (continuing) had theirs as well.
    Thanks for the explanations - churches and their divisions, reunifications an redivisions have always confused me!

I have an interview on Monday for a job in the office of a church which (I think) broke away from the United Church of Canada (a union of Methodists, Congregationalists and Presbyterians), and is now affiliated to the Congregational Church of Canada. I'm rather hoping that the job won't require too deep a knowledge of who's who (or possibly more importantly, who isn't).
  • Piglet wrote: »
    Thanks for the explanations - churches and their divisions, reunifications an redivisions have always confused me!
    I think it's universal that re-unifications follow the pattern of two churches uniting to form three different churches - the new unified church and the parts of both the original churches that didn't join the new unified church.
    That sounds about right, Alan! :smiley:
  • Pangolin GuerrePangolin Guerre Shipmate
    edited June 20
    This is going back some pages, but after an extended absence I'm only getting up to speed.

Piglet and others made comments on accents. As a child I had a speech impediment, And, in Canada, my classmates mocked me as being Scottish (in fact, I am half Scot). In the hyper-correction I received I developed a 'personal accent' which isn't quite Canadian regional English (same for French), but that has made me attuned to other accents. Having visited Scotland a number of times and various regions, I find the Orcadian perhaps the easiest for me - clean with a pleasant but not too pronounced lilt. Even the border collie who followed me everywhere had a softly pleasant woof.

It was when I was in the museum in Stromness that I found the possible reason: Stromness was often the last port of call for Hudson Bay Company ships on their way to Rupert's Land, picking up young Scots looking for a better life in an often unforgiving land.
    You may be right.

I'd be interested to hear the accents of their descendants - I wonder if there's still a vestige of their ancestors' accents?

I'm touched by how often people over here compliment* me on my accent; in over 30 years of living away, I've been determined not to lose my Orkney lilt!

* the ones who don't think I'm Welsh or Irish, that is ... :mrgreen:
    edited June 20
    I don't think that you'd find vestiges of the Orcadian accent in their descendants in Canada because the high mobility of Canadians* and high rate of intermarriage go along way to diluting accents, especially over time. I wonder when the last HBC ship called at Stromness.

*An OECD study (probably 25 years ago, so this may no longer be the case) indicated that Canadians were proportionally the most 'nomadic' of the members, the mobility being defined as settling >500km from place of birth. I'm sure that the number of people going from Newfoundland to Alberta has kept our % up.

In consequence of this, my sister and I have different accents.
  • Ethne AlbaEthne Alba Shipmate
    As someone recently landed in this good country..and struggling to get my head around Church of Scotland Presbyterianism.....Thank You So Much for the v helpful GA updates.
    Matters are clearer....
  • Clarity in Kirk procedures is usually like the Scottish weather. Long periods of rain and fog when you can't see beyond the nose on your face, with the rare moment of clear skies when you can see for miles.
  • Clarity in Kirk procedures is usually like the Scottish weather. Long periods of rain and fog when you can't see beyond the nose on your face, with the rare moment of clear skies when you can see for miles.

I don't think I've seen a better description of a presbytery meeting.
    My presbytery was having a foggy moment last Tuesday. We are a tiny presbytery, smaller than one my Kirk Sessions. But we can still get our knickers in a twist, it seem.

But then we had a wonderful induction service on Friday, and the skies were clear as clear. (And a 6 year vacancy was filled, and although I still have a wedding from that vacancy to conduct, I won't have their future weddings and funerals.)
  • A question for the Scottish hive mind. I have many Scottish novels on my bookshelves, but virtually no knowledge of Scottish films. What should I watch?
    edited July 12
    Gregory's Girl, Go Now, Local Hero, Train Spotting, and Shallow Grave (verrry different films!) would be a decent if not current start. Just off the top of my head.
  • Be warned - some are sweet, some are pungent.
    Blackbird, largely shot in and around Whithorn, is worth a watch, I think (if you can get hold of a copy).
  • We watched The Maggie last night. A good plot and a lot of scenes of the Clyde and the west coast, evoking holidays in the early 50s. Fine acting, too.
  • Nick TamenNick Tamen Shipmate
    Gregory's Girl, Go Now, Local Hero, Train Spotting, and Shallow Grave (verrry different films!) would be a decent if not current start. Just off the top of my head.
    Local Hero is my favorite movie ever. Having a score by Mark Knopfler doesn't hurt at all.

• DardaDarda Shipmate
    Sunshine on Leith
    I was just about to say that!
    edited July 12
    I had a few Local Hero moments in Orkney. The first made me run to a phone box to call my sister in Canada to tell her that I was almost run over by a scooter and then, standing outside the box, to describe to her the constellations. "It's like Local Hero! It's magnificent!"
  • I have photographs of the phone boxes near St Magnus Cathedral being removed. I am not sure how many phone boxes there are left on Orkney now
  • Oh, CK , that would make me sad. Not only was the phone box in Stromness, it was barely so - on a peripheral road! I wondered, given its location, whether it was placed there for those on the way home from the pub. "Morag! I think I'm lost!"

There is a street - a mews, really - in Stromness, very narrow and ascending the hill, named Khyber Pass. Some wag erased the "P".
  • Jengie JonJengie Jon Shipmate
    Well the phone box in Pennan is still there. It appears to still be needed due to lack of mobile coverage.
    There is a working red box in one of my villages, which was spared for the same reason - lack of mobile signal. In fact this has improved a little over the years, and the community also managed to put in their own broadband scheme, which then went out last week when the mast was struck by lightning!
    I was rather sad to see the phone boxes go from outside the Cathedral - they were a part of what made that whole corner of Broad Street. Now even the paper shop's closed, which is also very sad.
    Today was the day when they probably took all the photos for the summer sections of next year's calendars. A perfect, perfect day, so after the morning services Mr Cat and I drove to the Western sea. Somewhere between Lochailort and Arisaig we went skinny dipping off the rocks onto the soothing calm of the water. With the sea and the sky and the hills around it felt more like a sacrament than anything else.
  • Is my memory failing me, or am I correct in recalling that someone here (or a close relative of someone here) was short listed for the Kelpies prize in the last few years?