Here's tae us, wha's like us

Comments

• Someone linked to here was a winner of the 2015 Scottish Children’s Book Awards, if that's what you're thinking of? The book I'm thinking of is part of the Kelpies range.
  • @Alan Cresswell NEQ's son was not just listed, he won if I recall correctly for this book
  • Aha. Not all in my imagination then.

The reason for my inquiry? A son of another elder in my church has been shortlisted for this year's Kelpies. As has a sister in law of the same elder. I wonder if an aunt and nephew have both been shortlisted for such a prize before?
  • North East QuineNorth East Quine Shipmate
    edited July 2019
    The Kelpies team are lovely. It's a great prize to win, because the Kelpies authors are a friendly, supportive group.
  • PigletPiglet All Saints Host, Circus Host
    Well done to one and all! :smiley:
  • Jengie Jon wrote: »
    @Alan Cresswell NEQ's son was not just listed, he won if I recall correctly for this book

I don't like to brag, of course, but I have a first edition autographed by the author
  • Something @Firenze posted on the translate a song thread reminded me I had seen this on FB. The author wants it to get out there and has not copyrighted.

Fareweel tae a’ oor European gain,
    Fareweel the peacetime story,
    'Fareweel', the path by which we are constrained
    By Labour and by Tory;
    Atlantic flow enfolds these island lands -
    A tideway of constant motion
    That marks the shame o' Johnson’s band:
    Sic a parcel o’ pro-rogues in a nation!

By force or guile they wid subdue,
    Contriving warlike malaises;
    For sought now by this coward crew
    Are priv’leged craturs’ wages;
    Their bold sequester’d spiel we wid disdain -
    Secure in vainglory’s station;
    But calumny cold wid see us no' remain -
    Sic a parcel o’ pro-rogues in a nation!

O wid, that I had never seen the day
    That reason in want would fell us,
    That auld grey heads wid line their nests the day,
    Than think on the children before us,
    But people hae the power, and til my last hour,
    I'll mak this adjuration:
    Let us not be sold for ithers’ gold -
    Sic a parcel o’ pro-rogues in a nation!...

(Mary Ann Kennedy)
  • Dear resident Scottish friends, expats and those with fond touring memories: there is a thread in Heaven, where a vacation-planning Shipmate could use your kind suggestions about what to do in Scotland on a two-week visit.

• Thanks @Cameron, not being in the mood for Kipling I had not looked at that one!
  • A happy St. Andrews Day to all. Who is planning to have a haggis?
  • JapesJapes Shipmate
    Not planning on haggis, but I am going out for a meal to celebrate and wearing my new St Andrew's Cross lapel pin badge which my colleagues brought me back from a conference they'd gone to as a "Saw this, thought of you and wished you'd been here" moment.

Happy St Andrew's Day!
  • There is a street - a mews, really - in Stromness, very narrow and ascending the hill, named Khyber Pass. Some wag erased the "P".

I have a photo of Celtic Knotweed stood by the sign, which Fartbook resolutely refuses to let me post as it "does not meet our community standards". I can only assume it is because I titled it on Flickr "Taking the missus up the Khyber Pass".
    Those Stromnessians have no class ... :mrgreen:

Happy St. Andrew's Day (what's left of it), one and all!
  • Happy St Andrews Day to all here who celebrate it. Possibly a bit late but well meant all the same.
  • We marked it by walking in the hills above Balnasporran and watching the rare Capercaillie. Lovely, sunny, freezing day. When we were descending Mr Cats wondered hat the birds were saying to each other, but I was convinced they were saying “If those humans don’t get down soon it will be dark and we will have to look after them all night!” Safely home.
  • There is a street - a mews, really - in Stromness, very narrow and ascending the hill, named Khyber Pass. Some wag erased the "P".

I have a photo of Celtic Knotweed stood by the sign, which Fartbook resolutely refuses to let me post as it "does not meet our community standards". I can only assume it is because I titled it on Flickr "Taking the missus up the Khyber Pass".

Late to the party (as usual) - but when I visited Stromness, the "P" was spray painted over.
    I'm delighted to say that this time on Friday (God, Air Canada and Aer Lingus willing), I should be in Edinburgh enjoying the hospitality of my family.

quite excited piglet
  • Quite excited for you! I love flying alone - you get into a mental bubble and it is quite relaxing.
  • quick, we need to get out the bunting and the welcoming party !
    I'll pop the kettle on.
  • DafydDafyd Shipmate
    Should we try to arrange a welcome Piglet to Edinburgh meet (if Piglet has time that is)?
  • FirenzeFirenze Shipmate, Host Emeritus
    I'd be up for that.

Not next week, as have to go with Mr F to that London for a business meeting (at London Bridge, as it happens) on the day of the GE. Tres fun.

The following week is a positive whirl - period performance of Messiah at the Queen's Hall, tree decking (and wine downing) party at friends, mince pies and mulled wine with the neighbours. But after that it quietens down.
  • I don't think I can travel to Edinburgh from the Frozen North East prior to Christmas. Of course, we don't need to confine ourselves to only one Welcome to Piglet (assuming Piglet would be happy to have more than one).
  • True. I am swithering over whether to attend a meeting in 121 on the 18th (a week before Christmas, when I have 12 services in the next 7 days! - what are they thinking of? - but I know what they are thinking of, so never mind.) But if I were to have time for a coffee with a shippie or two - especially the porcine one, that might help me decide (and work out which trains to book).
  • P.S. you are frozen, NEQ? I thought we were all just wet at the moment! Looking forward to the freeze returning next week....
  • We are more wet than frozen, but the bits of the garden in shade have been permafrost for quite some time. However (hurrah!) we are no longer on Flood Alert.
    A meet of some sort would be lovely! I'm here until 8th January, after which I'll be heading back to full-on winter in Fredericton, but I should be able to fit something in, especially as I'm hoping to start familiarising myself with Edinburgh's public transport..

Name a day (or maybe a couple of options), and I'll try and be available. I'm very chuffed you'd even think of it!

@Cathscats, what on earth are the Kremlin* doing expecting you at a meeting a week before Christmas?

* that's what D. always called 121. :mrgreen:
  • @piglet. The Organ Club Journal arrived this morning. Not usually on my list of must-reads. But he who reads it showed me another nice obit of D. And great pictures. Will you see this one? If not, I could scan and email.
  • He did get a brief mention in the Ringing World as well, though just a two-line notice rather than an obit.
  • The possibility of a Piglet-meet has prompted me to get back on board for the first time in ages (thank you NEQ for the prod). We're around over Christmas and New Year, so if anything is arranged then I will try to make it. The next couple of weeks are a bit bonkers (school Christmas concerts, church services, parties etc - I still can't get over how mad school goes over Christmas), but if I'm free on a chosen date then I'd love to come!
  • DerfDerf Shipmate
    Another NEQ prodee here, also checking in to say I'll keep an eye on anything that's planned as scz and I would love to meet you Piglet. (I haven't actually mentioned it to scz, but he's never been one to turn down a shipmeet).
  • DafydDafyd Shipmate
    edited December 2019
    I'm in Edinburgh until the schools break up, and then from New Year.
    I can do morning or midday on 18th; or most evenings and weekends.
  • On the 18th I would only be free between 3.30 and 5.30. In the vicinity of George Street or Princes Street. Might not work for others.
  • I'm away between Christmas and New Year, but otherwise could probably manage a meet - though the week of the 16th I'm delivering a training course so can't skip out of work early to get to Edinburgh at a sensible time.
    A scanned copy would be lovely, @Cathscats - I can't remember whether D. was still getting paper copies of the Organ Club journal.

Re a possible Shipmeet, I'll start a separate thread and we can see what transpires - I'm really excited about the idea of meeting a few more of you!

• @piglet, if you PM me an email address, I will get on to that this afternoon. 2 services to take first.
    Will do!
  • As a result of the ghastly election results in England (the Scots, Northern Irish, and Welsh, clearly have more sense), I am seriously thinking of relocating from SE England to my Scottish roots.

There are properties for sale in Alba, which I could just about afford, one of which is a very nice little house near Thurso.

I can't say why, but Caithness attracts. My late Ma's family, however, came from SW Scotland (Dumfries and Galloway), and that's where Ma lived very happily for her last 17 years.

Comments (or recommendations) welcome. An easily-accessible Scottish Episcopal church/parish would be a bonus!
  • Not bringing the ark then? And eschewing the bright lights (other than the northern lights)?

I’m not sure if, with your health issues, Thurso or anywhere in Caithness would be easy. It’s a long way to the hospital in Inverness, from which all non-G.P. Treatment flows. There is a train, which takes a couple of hours or more, or a bus, which takes even longer....

Seriously, we would love to have you, but you might want to look into things other than Piskie churches.....

• Yes indeed, and thank you for your comments. Piskie churches are not the be-all and end-all, athough catholic liturgy, and liberal theology, do tick my boxes!

Your remarks about healthcare are pertinent, though. At the moment, I simply need a regular prescription of two principal meds. One is an anti-seizure med ('Keppra'), and the other is a form of hydro-cortisone, to counteract the effects of my adrenal glands being embu**erated by the brain tumour removed in 2016.

Both of these conditions are monitored by King's College, London, but by simple telephone calls (though King's want me back for MRI scans in 2020 and 2021, before they finally discharge me).

• Well, there is a Piskie church in Thurso, though I couldn’t speak to its liturgy or theology. As far as I know I am one of the more northerly shipmates, and you would only be another 200 or so miles north of me. (The centre of Scotland is in my parish, or at least the stone that says it is!)
  • I lived in Sutherland for a while - Strathnaver to be exact - and there was so much about it that I loved. Travelling to Inverness certainly takes a couple of hours and the A9 can be tricky in the long, dark winter but the people were the nicest, friendliest folk. I don't think I could live there now because of problems driving at night - but I still miss the place.
    I lived in Helmsdale for the first 3½ years of my life, and it's lovely (and not too far from Inverness).

Caithness itself can be a wee bit bleak imho*, but it does have the advantage of leading to Orkney. :heart:

* I'm allowed to say that - one of my grandfathers came from Caithness.
  • Cathscats wrote: »
    Well, there is a Piskie church in Thurso, though I couldn’t speak to its liturgy or theology. As far as I know I am one of the more northerly shipmates, and you would only be another 200 or so miles north of me. (The centre of Scotland is in my parish, or at least the stone that says it is!)

Thinks... Centre of Scotland... Newtonmore or thereabouts? I wonder if anyone still remembers the Newtonmore Haggishound?
  • Spot on, but I have not heard of the Haggishound! Tell me more....
  • Cathscats wrote: »
    Spot on, but I have not heard of the Haggishound! Tell me more....

The Haggishound was the creation of Duncan Gillespie, husband of a former minister of St Bride's. It's a long story (I have plenty of background information) but it was essentially a fundraising project for the church. He invited donations along with the name of your nondescript mutt and you would receive a handsome certificate attesting the dog's membership of the Haggishound breed. The Press & Journal ran an article that was seen by a certain exile who alerted the Canadian Broadcasting Corporation, who then called him for an interview that ran, I think in 1999 or so (I have a copy). Duncan was a wonderful writer of tall and otherwise generally non-conforming stories and had a regular column in the immensely influential Strathspey and Badenoch Herald.
  • Duncan is fondly remembered (possibly more so than his wife, who died this past year, not here any more, of course). He did a lot to keep the church in the pages of the local press. He also was an adventurous gardener and we have him to thank for the camellia and the magnolia in my garden, which he managed to get to grow in these chilly climes. I will ask some of the church old guard if they remember the haggishound!
  • My thanks to Scotland for the warm words!

Sadly, the chances of my being physically able to 'up sticks', and move to your fair land (from which my late Ma's family came), are vanishingly small, despite the attractions. Still, one never knows...

BTW, although I am an Anglican of a High-Church Perswasion, that wouldn't stop me from attending a local Kirk, if I could be assured of a friendly welcome, some good preaching, and the lusty Singing of Hymns.

Being accustomed to frequent Communion, however, I might have to hie myself off to a Piskie place now and then, if it wasn't too far off!

The SEC place in Thurso looks OK - although Parish Eucharist at 0930 on Sundays is in the wee small hours IMHO...

O, and I like haggis.

And WHISKY (neat, no water, or ice :grimace: ). Slainte mhath!

I understand from a friend who used to be the manager of the Highland Park distillery that a splash of spring water is the correct additive to good WHISKY, or if you prefer, you could serve it neat in brandy glasses, as a digestif.
  • We went on the tour of the Highland Park distillery a couple of years ago and were shown the correct amount of water to add. The guide used a pipette and added no more than two or three drops to a small glass. The difference between neat and the addition of a few drops was quite remarkable, and an important moment in my education, finding the spectrum of aroma and taste to be thereby expanded. (One of my cousins will only take single malts from a brandy balloon, and I believe he is right in so doing).
    My friend reckoned that if you didn't tell people it was whisky, they could easily believe it was a good brandy. And that was back in the days when the "oldest" whisky you could get was 12yo.
This discussion has been closed.