Here's tae us, wha's like us

1234568»

Comments

• If you don't fancy going so far North, Linlithgow (where I live) has the Union Canal going through it, and I believe they've been making preparations for more residential berths, should you wish to bring the ark :smiley:
  • What an excellent idea! Linlithgow is not too far from Edinburgh, yes?

Perhaps an even better idea would be to buy a new Ark in Scotland, as the present Ark may not be up to a long voyage up the North Sea...
    :worried:
  • BroJamesBroJames Purgatory Host, 8th Day Host
    Is the present Ark narrow enough to do most of the journey on inland waterways?
  • What an excellent idea! Linlithgow is not too far from Edinburgh, yes?

15-20 minutes on the train, and the station is less than 5 minutes walk from the Canal Basin.
  • Bishops FingerBishops Finger Shipmate
    edited December 2019
    BroJames wrote: »
    Is the present Ark narrow enough to do most of the journey on inland waterways?

Alas, no. The Ark comes from The Netherlands, built for the inland waterways (and shallow neighbouring seas) of that estimable country, but far too long, broad, and high for our (almost) mediaeval system!

Being flat-bottomed, with a draught of only 1 metre, she would Not Enjoy another open sea voyage (though she was brought over from The Netherlands to England - Den Haag to Harwich - some 35 years ago. It took them 24 hours.).

I don't know how long it took them to get her into her present tidal estuary, but I bet it was Fun. Not.

Having experienced navigating my previous Ark (a former sailing Klipper, also Dutch) over the waters of the Scheldt in a Force 8 December north-westerly gale, I have a great respect for (a) Dutch shipbuilders, and (b) the power of the wind, and sea. The two Dutch barge-skippers who were assisting me thought a Force 9 wind was a bit risky (!), so we didn't cross the Channel, but laid the ship up in Nieuwpoort in Belgium for three weeks...
    Wet Kipper wrote: »
    What an excellent idea! Linlithgow is not too far from Edinburgh, yes?

15-20 minutes on the train, and the station is less than 5 minutes walk from the Canal Basin.

I shall check it out!
    :wink:

• Weel, the nichts 'll be fair drawin' oot soon :)
  • FirenzeFirenze Shipmate, Host Emeritus
    Have ye had yer summer holidays yet?
  • PigletPiglet All Saints Host, Circus Host
    Looking forward to the long evenings! :)
  • PigletPiglet All Saints Host, Circus Host
    As it's now a new year, it's time for a new thread.

While you're all nursing your hangovers*, I'll close this one.

* OK, maybe not all of you ... :mrgreen:

Piglet, AS host
This discussion has been closed.