Antiphons at the end of Psalms

When the Divine Office is said the antiphon follows the doxology; but this order is reversed in Common Worship morning and evening prayer. Is there a reason for this?

Comments

• I think its due to lazy rubricing. When you use a book there is simply a rubric that states "Each psalm or group of psalms may end with" and then the doxology. This is ambiguous as to whether it should come before or after the antiphon if used.

I think it was thought that everyone using it would know it went before the final antiphon if used with every psalm (I have never done it for a group). Inevitably people stopped recalling where it was said historically and just started adding it after the antiphon.
  • LeoLeo Shipmate
    Common Worship compilers were ignorant of antiphons and their purpose.
  • angloidangloid Shipmate
    Leo wrote: »
    Common Worship compilers were ignorant of antiphons and their purpose.
    I don't know if they were ignorant, just that they wanted a more flexible way of using them. After all, some psalms have their own inbuilt 'refrains' (the preferred title of Common Worship) which call out to be treated differently from the traditional before-and-after antiphon. CW is a lot less prescriptive than other liturgical books; whether that is always a good thing is another discussion. In this case I think it makes sense, but a rubric to clarify the traditional usage might have been helpful.
  • Actually, I come across a variety of liturgical arrangements of the Psalms due to begging, stealing and borrowing from where ever I feel like.

There are at least two different sorts of antiphons around:
    1. Those that fit with the psalm
    2. Those that fit with the day
    These are used in two different ways
    1. sometimes they are used between sections of the psalm.
    2. sometimes are only used at the start and end of the psalm

At least one modern RC sometimes uses type 1 antiphon with type 1 use and type 2 antiphon with type 2 use in different liturgical situations.
  • angloidangloid Shipmate
    angloid wrote: »
    In this case I think it makes sense, but a rubric to clarify the traditional usage might have been helpful.
    In fact there is one.(p647 CWDP): "Optional refrains – or 'antiphons', as they are often called – are provided for use at the beginning and end of each psalm (after the 'Glory to...' when this is included), except for those psalms already having certain verses marked by italics as constituting possible refrains."

• EnochEnoch Shipmate
    It's my impression they aren't used that much. A person who would know what was 'correct' and which rules must or need not be followed, suggested that if one did use one, for practical purposes, it was best not to use the Gloria as well, i.e. end the psalm with one or the other, but not both.
  • LeoLeo Shipmate
    Rome has both.
  • I wish Anglicans made greater use of antiphons, but I can't say the ones in CW Daily Prayer do much for me.