Really, Leo

mr cheesymr cheesy Shipmate
This is disgusting. You should be ashamed of yourself.

Comments

• The ship shall be held to a higher standard than politics. So there.
  • LydaLyda Shipmate
    Rope would be that much better? Okay.
  • OhherOhher Shipmate
    Nope, sorry. Not worth popping corn for.
  • mousethiefmousethief Shipmate
    edited August 10
    Ohher wrote: »
    Nope, sorry. Not worth popping corn for.
    Sucky, sucky, sucky. It is not for us to say whether somebody else's Hell thread is worthy or not. This poisons Hell and damages its effective use as the sort of steam vent it was designed to be.
  • BroJamesBroJames Shipmate
    Turning the dead metaphor of “giving someone enough rope” into something much more ‘live’ by suggesting chicken wire is at least unfortunate given recent violence against an MP here.
  • ClimacusClimacus Shipmate
    I am particularly thick. I don't get the chicken wire reference.

Skulks away...
  • Gee DGee D Shipmate
    A horrible way of hanging people (as if any were other than horrible). Used by Hitler on various of those involved in the July 20 plot, or (like Admiral Canaris) thought to be.
  • ClimacusClimacus Shipmate
    Oh. Thank you. I had thought it was piano wire (grisly either way).
  • Gee DGee D Shipmate
    On reflection, you're probably correct but I think that's the sort of use Leo had in mind.
  • Dave WDave W Shipmate
    Climacus wrote: »
    I am particularly thick. I don't get the chicken wire reference.

You're not the only one. I don't know what "chicken wire" means to Leo, but a mesh used for fencing seems poorly suited for hanging anything.
  • It's possible that leo had the abuse of piano-wire in mind. So, in addition to his vile advocacy of nasty physical harm to someone we can also include ineptitude. The lack of attention to detail that he doesn't even use the correct word. Consistent with his lack of regard for others that means he can't be arsed to make sure he uses the coding options here properly.
  • Quite.

I think the point is that chicken (or piano) wire is quite thin, and therefore capable of inflicting painful damage before death ensues.

The garrote comes to mind:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Garrote

I join those condemning Leo. He should know better. No-one, however ghastly, and however Bad his Hair, warrants such a death.

IJ
  • LeoLeo Shipmate
    he can't be arsed to make sure he uses the coding options here properly.

Tried the coding but can't get it right.
  • LeoLeo Shipmate
    Gee D wrote: »
    A horrible way of hanging people (as if any were other than horrible). Used by Hitler on various of those involved in the July 20 plot, or (like Admiral Canaris) thought to be.

I didn't know that. So I apologise.

But I think Boris is a very dangerous and calculating, nasty person.
  • Leo wrote: »

There's a thread in the Styx to ask advice if you can't get something to work, although you've been around long enough that you should know how to code.

There's a preview so you can make sure there's nothing wrong before inflicting your posts on the world.

Not taking the opportunity to learn how to code properly, nor using the tools provided to check on your code, looks very much like laziness. Not that that's even close to expressing a wish for physical harm on another.
  • EnochEnoch Shipmate
    I can't help thinking that some of us are being a bit pompous about Leo's rhetoric, which does express - perhaps a little melodramatically - a disgust a lot of us feel. And surely none of us disagree with his last and most recent sentence?
  • mr cheesymr cheesy Shipmate
    Enoch wrote: »
    I can't help thinking that some of us are being a bit pompous about Leo's rhetoric, which does express - perhaps a little melodramatically - a disgust a lot of us feel.

When one uses language which with a basic understanding implies that a politician should be killed, then I'm afraid you are scraping the barrel and that you can only expect scorn.

Be disgusted. But don't start making suggestions that an individual should be hanged.
    And surely none of us disagree with his last and most recent sentence?

I couldn't care less what you or he thinks about Boris - if you can't refrain from the language of political violence, then you have no business speaking in public. Because you are clearly a tosspot.
    Leo wrote: »
    Gee D wrote: »

I didn't know that. So I apologise.

Really. So what did you actually mean by referring to chicken wire?

• mr cheesy wrote: »
    I couldn't care less what you or he thinks about Boris - if you can't refrain from the language of political violence, then you have no business speaking in public. Because you are clearly a tosspot.
    Which also applies to former foreign secretaries who make statements that compare innocent people to criminals or incite others to physically assault innocent women (actually, inciting violence against someone who happens to be guilty of something isn't much better).

edited August 11
    mr cheesy wrote: »
    Which also applies to former foreign secretaries who make statements that compare innocent people to criminals or incite others to physically assault innocent women (actually, inciting violence against someone who happens to be guilty of something isn't much better).

For sure. Suggesting that a person wearing a particular garment is somehow a terrorist by default is clearly aggregious.

But I don't think this has anything to do anything. The problem in this instance is that some here think it is entirely appropriate to use terrible analogues (and if this was truly not about hanging, then I'm struggling to see what else it could mean - other that that "bad" politicians should be rounded up into chicken pens, which is hardly any better) about people they don't like.

--

There is a line, I think. Using colourful insults is one thing, but using references which have all the appearance of referring to the Holocaust and/or the Siberian death camps is something else.

• How about one of Mrs Mandela's necklaces? That'd be pretty awful.

I reckon the people criticising Leo are acting like wankers on this occasion. It seems pretty clear that the guy was venting. Who here hasn't done that?
  • Doc TorDoc Tor Hell Host
    And we do it in the wrong place or say inappropriate things while we're venting, we apologise afterwards.
  • Simon Toad wrote: »
    How about one of Mrs Mandela's necklaces? That'd be pretty awful.
    Why stop there? That's pretty tame compared to stuff done by people I know to other people before, during, and after killing them. Would you like me to provide graphic details so we can then idly speculate, for a laugh, about who any of us might like these things to be done to? Would you consider that appropriate for Purgatory?
  • LeoLeo Shipmate
    Leo wrote: »

There's a thread in the Styx to ask advice if you can't get something to work, although you've been around long enough that you should know how to code.

There's a preview so you can make sure there's nothing wrong before inflicting your posts on the world.

Not taking the opportunity to learn how to code properly, nor using the tools provided to check on your code, looks very much like laziness. Not that that's even close to expressing a wish for physical harm on another.

I used to - assuming you're referring to links/urls. I still do them the same way as on the old site - they worked then but don't now.
  • finelinefineline Purgatory Host
    On the old Ship, a pop-up box came up where you could write the text you want your link to be attached to. Here the pop-up box is just for the URL - the coding then immediately appears in the comment box. But the URL in the middle of the code tags is highlighted, so you can delete it and replace it with text.
  • Eutychus wrote: »
    Simon Toad wrote: »
    How about one of Mrs Mandela's necklaces? That'd be pretty awful.
    Why stop there? That's pretty tame compared to stuff done by people I know to other people before, during, and after killing them. Would you like me to provide graphic details so we can then idly speculate, for a laugh, about who any of us might like these things to be done to? Would you consider that appropriate for Purgatory?

Really, the thread was always a hell thread, a chance to yell BOO! at Johnson.