Keeping signed in

2»

Comments

• Well, it kept me logged in for most of October... then logged me out again towards the end of the month, and I had to try to sign in again. And STILL it isn't saving the password. Luckily I remembered this one, but they are getting very sweary.

AG
  • @Sandemaniac - the system logs everyone out monthly. It's a bit of coding that was thought to do something else (log out people not using the boards after a month), but is low priority for changing otherwise.

Your browser and/or the settings on your browser are what keeps you logged in or not, not the Ship.
  • Your browser and/or the settings on your browser are what keeps you logged in or not, not the Ship.
    Minor correction, the cookies for the Ship control whether you stay logged in (that's what causes the log-out every month-ish). Whether or not your login details and password are saved is a browser setting.
  • So why is it only the Ship that I have this problem of the remembered" password not working with? Unless I've tikced something I shouldn't have, I can't see why it can remember all the others I choose to have remembered, but not this one.

AG
  • I use an iPad hand am back to having to sign in approximately every 3 weeks.
  • Gee DGee D Shipmate
    I just got signed out mid-session. First time that's happened.
  • MooMoo Kerygmania Host
    Me too.
  • peasepease Tech Admin
    Hmm... (In the absence of anything more helpful.)

It's possible that the persistent (keep me signed-in) cookie expired during your session. Note that this cookie actually expires after 30 days. It looks like forcing users to re-authenticate at regular intervals is intentional.
  • Gee DGee D Shipmate
    As the saying has it, when your time's up, your time's up.

It is just one of those things that happens as far as I'm concerned
  • I'm know being signed out every time I go offline. It has the advantage that I have plenty of repeats to remember the dozenth new password I've had to set.

AG
  • I have the cookies set up to sign me out whenever I log out of the internet, deliberately. Have you checked your cookie settings?
  • Given that neither the Knotweed or I know how to set the cookies to sign me out, I don't think it's that. Just to add to the confusion, this evening it has kept me signed in.

AG
  • Gee DGee D Shipmate
    I have no idea how to set cookies, full stop.

On a tangent but positive note, the software sets times automatically for my zone and adjust when needed int and out of summer time. So Sandemaniac's post is timed at 10.03 am. I don't know if it understands that summer time does not operate in Queensland, which is normally in the same time zone as the remainder of eastern Aust.
  • Things like cookie settings can get reset when updates go through, which these days they do automatically. Updates to either the operating system or the browser you use could do it.
  • Gee DGee D Shipmate
    I was commenting on Sandemaniac's post. Not all posters here are computer literate.
  • HuiaHuia Shipmate
    Us is technopeasants*

* With thanks to Uncle Pete :cry: for a very useful word.
  • Gee DGee D Shipmate
    Huia wrote: »
    Us is technopeasants*

* With thanks to Uncle Pete :cry: for a very useful word.

I had somehow missed that. A very good and useful word