How did you get your Ship name?

This has come up a couple of times recently, and we haven't done it for a while ... so how did you get your Ship name?

I wanted to be anonymous when I joined for various reasons, rather than use my first name as I usually do on the internet, so started from the reason I joined, only to find that Curious and Curiosity were taken. At the time I had a cat that kept getting into scrapes, the one in my avatar picture, which gave me Curiosity killed ... on the Old Ship™. When I signed up on the New Ship™ the log in screen wouldn't allow punctuation, so I dropped the ellipsis.

Comments

• I picked Graven Image because if I wanted to change the picture it would still fit.
  • finelinefineline Purgatory Host
    I looked on my desk for something to name myself after, and saw my fineline pens, which are my favourite kind of pens. (Seems weird now that I was sitting to a desk, but that was quite a while back, when I had a big desktop computer, rather than a laptop or ipad - and it wasn't the Ship I joined first, but the wiblog site, and discovered the Ship through that, and gave myself the same name, so people from the wibsite would recognise me.)
  • MrsBeakyMrsBeaky Shipmate
    I imported my Twitter handle which is the name given to me by my four lovely, naughty adult daughters. For obvious reasons apparently. However I still maintain I don't see why......
  • @fineline and there was me thinking that you were an expert in drawing subtle distinctions between things!

My username was stolen from a pastor of my acquaintance who used to publish privately circulated, hardcopy satirical pieces about church life; he stole it from the name of a pseudonymous column dealing with similar material in the US magazine Christianity.

But as time has gone by I've discovered it's a good fit for something that gives me a sense of fulfilment in several areas of my life: being on the edge of two worlds, not quite belonging to either, and striving not to fall into the void as a result.
  • I was named by Ron Weasley.
    :wink:

Actually, I was enamored by the Harry Potter books when I joined the Ship. I had some privacy concerns (and still do), so I didn't want to use a name that would be recognized by certain people who knew me in real life.
  • LeoLeo Shipmate
    Pope Leo for his social justice teaching. Also my horoscope sign.
  • How do we know that people's Ship names aren't their names in real life?

;)
  • Sometimes Ship names are real names
  • Like yours?

;)
  • BoogieBoogie Shipmate
    Boogie was my dog. I got him from Battersea Dog’s Home, he was aged 6 months and I was aged 18. He went everywhere with me and lived to a happy, healthy 19 years (very nearly 20!)

:mrgreen:
  • ZekeZeke Shipmate
    My granddad had nicknames for everyone and thought Zeke was a funny name for a baby girl. I was so young, however, that I started calling him Zeke too. At one point there also was a dog called Zeke, which could be confusing.
  • fineline wrote: »
    I looked on my desk for something to name myself after ...)

This is how I choose passwords. :)
  • Well, I'm a Baptist minister who likes trains.

Better than my school nickname, which I'm not telling you.
  • Mine is a version of my family nickname. So I am not really hiding my identity. If you know me well enough to know my nickname I am happy for you to know who I am here. It is distinctive, my real name isn't. At least one other person on the internet shares my real name. Plus my real name carries a lot of baggage, probably less so now than when I joined the ship, but still some at least within URC circles. It therefore places a welcome space between who I am and who I am assumed to be by some.

I just have to remember that if I deliberately separate myself from the baggage I cannot then invoke it on a whim. It took me a while to get used to that.
  • Amos 7:14: "...I was neither a prophet nor the son of a prophet, but I was a shepherd, and I also took care of sycamore-fig trees." Which came up when being asked to do something not competent to do. The other form of "profit" being a whim in Ship 2.0
  • ChoristerChorister Shipmate
    This has come up a couple of times recently, and we haven't done it for a while ... so how did you get your Ship name?

I wanted to be anonymous when I joined for various reasons, rather than use my first name as I usually do on the internet, so started from the reason I joined, only to find that Curious and Curiosity were taken. At the time I had a cat that kept getting into scrapes, the one in my avatar picture, which gave me Curiosity killed ... on the Old Ship™. When I signed up on the New Ship™ the log in screen wouldn't allow punctuation, so I dropped the ellipsis.

When I first saw your name, I got it mixed up with Curious Kitten and was very suspicious of you for a while....
    No prizes for guessing why mine.
  • Tree BeeTree Bee Shipmate
    My name is nothing to do with trees or bees though I like both. My sister and I liked to muck about with language, and this is what she called me as a mangling of my real name. My husband uses it too, so I do answer to it still.
  • @Chorister - she's not signed on to the New Ship™, but Curious kitten is my daughter.
  • ChoristerChorister Shipmate
    @Chorister - she's not signed on to the New Ship™, but Curious kitten is my daughter.

I remember her, we also met up at a shipmeet. Thought it was your sockpuppet at first!! (or you were hers)
  • She posted so little it wouldn't have been worth having set her up as a sockpuppet. But we did end up in the café a few times to chat in real time when we needed a private conversation.
  • A local (and very fine) ALE.
    :grin:

IJ
  • NenyaNenya Shipmate
    I've always loved The Lord of the Rings books and my discovery of the films coincided with my joining Ye Olde Shippe. Nenya is one of the three Elvish Rings of Power.
  • Having been FooloftheShip, and feeling that this was cumbersome and rather presumptuous, I decided I needed a shorter name that was still in the same general area of self-deprecation and folly, and came up with this. Also, as I was starting to venture into Purgatory at the time, I was finding that this was a fairly accurate description of what I was doing.

I may have to change it at some point - I'm not overly fond, and would like to be able to whisper again.
  • RossweisseRossweisse Shipmate, 8th Day Host
    I was an opera singer in my first life. I love Wagner, and always wanted to play a Valkyrie (but was too small - I'm a Mozartian). So I picked a subsidiary Valk in the right voice part. It turned out to be fortuitous; although some people have trouble spelling it, it's easily shortened to something more manageable.

• I don't like being on ships as I have vertigo more or less constantly. My sig on the Old Ship was a cut-down quote from Ps 107: "They that go down to the sea in ships ... reel to and fro and stagger like a drunken man". Added to that, of late I never manage to stay on board here for long without a real life crisis tipping me overboard.
  • MarsupialMarsupial Shipmate
    Some time ago I was doing some IT work for a friend who had whimsically named his IT consulting company after a particular marsupial animal (at the time he was doing almost entirely project management work for one large Canadian corporation, so the name he incorporated under was a bit academic). Anyway, his firm's name was unusual enough that I found it handy to work it into various internet user names, my real name being common enough that I'm not usually the only one around. When I joined the ship and I was looking for a user name I decided to go with the generalized "marsupial".

I actually have no connection to Australia, and somewhat to my embarrassment, have never actually been south of the Equator.
  • bassobasso Shipmate
    I've used this nick for many years in different corners of the 'net. I do sing bass (and fairly low) but I'm not really a real basso. It still suits me.
  • balaambalaam Shipmate
    I Googled my date of birth and found it to be the Feast of the Ass. So I named myself after the false prophet with the talking donkey.

No not Shrek, the other one.

The avatar toy donkey was bought on the way to a shipmeet, and has been to every shipmeet with me since.
  • Character in a children's book.
  • RossweisseRossweisse Shipmate, 8th Day Host
    edited August 27
    basso wrote: »
    I've used this nick for many years in different corners of the 'net. I do sing bass (and fairly low) but I'm not really a real basso. It still suits me.

Yes, it does!
    mousethief wrote:
    Character in a children's book.

Which one?

• NicoleMRNicoleMR Shipmate
    I'm one of those people who uses their real name. I really am named Nicole, my middle name starts with M, and my last name with R.
  • NiteowlNiteowl Shipmate
    I’m a hopeless insomniac, therefore Niteowl.
  • Rossweisse wrote: »
    mousethief wrote:
    Character in a children's book.
    Which one?
    Mossflower by Brian Jacques
  • TukaiTukai Shipmate
    Well, I'm a Baptist minister who likes trains.

Better than my school nickname, which I'm not telling you.

BT: Somehow I had guessed that one.
  • TukaiTukai Shipmate
    In the Fijian (i-taukei) language, Tukai means "Grandpa", which is what most of my family call me these days.
  • LydaLyda Shipmate
    In the mists of time, when I joined the Old Ship, I had The Music Man going through my head so I misspelled "Lida Rose" as Lyda Rose of Sharon.
  • HuiaHuia Shipmate
    When I signed up I wanted a New Zealand name. Huia were a species of bird that are believed to be extinct - I say "believed to be" but another species (Takahe) which were thought to be extinct were discovered over 50 years ago in a remote valley. My middle brother always believed that Huia would be found too, but so far this hasn't happened - except in the NZ movie "Hunt For the Wilderpeople".
  • I wanted to keep it simple and easily recalled, so that if I was away from the Ship for a while I'd remember my Ship name (my first names in real life) and my dog-related password. I came across the image of Mary Ward and thought that would do as an avatar.
  • Niteowl wrote: »
    I’m a hopeless insomniac, therefore Niteowl.
    I always enjoy seeing another owl here. You remind me of my friend Hedwig.
    :smile:

Lyda wrote: »
    In the mists of time, when I joined the Old Ship, I had The Music Man going through my head so I misspelled "Lida Rose" as Lyda Rose of Sharon.
    I just saw "The Music Man" this weekend -- why is "Lida Rose" the worst earworm from that show?

• EigonEigon Shipmate
    Eigon is our local saint, and no-one's sure whether he was a Dark Ages monk or the daughter of King Caractacus. As my real name is similarly gender neutral, I thought it was a good match.
  • I tend to use names on discussion boards that align in some way with my background and how it relates to a particular board. Here, that meant looking for something that reflected a Reformed/Presbyterian background.

The image of the burning bush is both one of my favorites from Scripture and a long-standing symbol of Presbyterianism. (Yes, the two could be related.) So, I went with a burning bush-inspired nickname (and avatar), and did a play on the motto of the Church of Scotland—Nec Tamen Consumebatur ("Yet It Was Not Consumed").
  • NenyaNenya Shipmate
    That's really interesting, Nick Tamen. I'd kind of assumed it was your real name.
  • Nenya wrote: »
    That's really interesting, Nick Tamen. I'd kind of assumed it was your real name.
    Heh! That's one reason I liked the play on the motto; it looks like it could be a real name.

I'll admit I've wondered from time to time whether others pick up on the reference. There have been a few shipmates over the years who've let me know that they have.

• LydaLyda Shipmate
    Huia wrote: »
    When I signed up I wanted a New Zealand name. Huia were a species of bird that are believed to be extinct - I say "believed to be" but another species (Takahe) which were thought to be extinct were discovered over 50 years ago in a remote valley. My middle brother always believed that Huia would be found too, but so far this hasn't happened - except in the NZ movie "Hunt For the Wilderpeople".

Tangent: I loved that movie!
  • CaissaCaissa Shipmate
    edited August 27
    I play chess. Caissa is the goddess of chess.
  • I think balaam might be my winner.

Mine is a really old one I used as a teenager because I was all worked up about how internet identities are how we want to be seen and not the whole picture. Blame angst!
  • balaam wrote: »
    I Googled my date of birth and found it to be the Feast of the Ass. So I named myself after the false prophet with the talking donkey.

No not Shrek, the other one.

The avatar toy donkey was bought on the way to a shipmeet, and has been to every shipmeet with me since.
    I would go to a celebration of Feast of the Ass. I assume there's a fair bit of ribaldry, carrying on and telling tall stories involved? And eating and drinking of course. So long as it is isn't thistles, though Eeyore was a donkey I think.
  • I'm a BIG Groucho Marx fan, so when moving to the new ship, I wanted to honour him. Rufus T. Firefly is the name of Groucho's character in what I consider the best Marx Brothers film - Duck Soup.
  • PriscillaPriscilla Shipmate
    I was St. Gwladys on the old ship as Gwladys is OUR local Saint. I'd wanted to be Priscilla as one of my ancestors was one Aquilla Cable, but the old ship wouldn't allow it. The new ship wouldn't allow St. Gwladys, though I'm still StGwladys b Bob vv on the quiz!
  • I was re-reading Frank Herbert's Dune at the time I joined the Ship, and fairly quickly chose Bene Gesserit from it because I wanted to jump in on a particular thread at that point having lurked for ages.