It's about a Time Lord

Comments

• Another nail in the coffin of (Sunday) evening worship?
  • Schroedingers CatSchroedingers Cat Shipmate, Waving not Drowning Host
    Fawkes Cat wrote: »
    Another nail in the coffin of (Sunday) evening worship?

I suspect there will be more worship happening on a Sunday Evening.

Just not in church.

Oh, and not of your God.
  • I'm really looking forward to it
  • SO want this to work. Please give her some good scripts!
  • ClimacusClimacus Shipmate
    edited September 2018
    Sunday! We used to get a live screening down here Sunday morning, and a repeat in the evening, in the Antipodes on our national broadcaster. May be turning up late to work Monday morning if that continues ...

I hope Whovians is coming back too... https://bit.ly/2oJq8C0

edit: strange characters in URL... shortened
  • Also excited! I gather here in the US the first episode will be simulcast on BBC America...so it will be showing early Sunday afternoon. Later episodes will be shifted to the evening.

With each new Doctor I like to identify one moment where I think "Yeah, that's the Doctor." Lines like "Pleased to meet you, Rose. Run for your life!" or "No second chances. I'm that sort of man." It will be interesting to see when that moment happens with the current Doctor.
  • Is the change of date an indication that the BBC no longer see Who as prime time material?
  • Doctorwhonews.net observes:
    The switch means that Doctor Who will avoid direct competition with the ITV talent show The X Factor. No timeslot has been confirmed but the series is likely to be shown early evening along with the Strictly Come Dancing Results show.
    So it looks like a calculation was made not to compete head-to-head with X Factor.
  • Meanwhile, the Doctor shatters the glass ceiling.
  • Of course it's well known that being a two-hearted time-travelling alien is just fine, giving said two-hearted time-travelling alien a vagina automatically means they can't do the job...

(I wish there weren't people out there who genuinely seem to believe that)

AG
  • Of course it's well known that being a two-hearted time-travelling alien is just fine, giving said two-hearted time-travelling alien a vagina automatically means they can't do the job...

AG

That's because all previous Doctors have won cybermen, daleks etc. using their penis,
  • Are you saying that the 'srewdriver' was actually a detachable part of the Doctor's anatomy?
  • balaam wrote: »
    Of course it's well known that being a two-hearted time-travelling alien is just fine, giving said two-hearted time-travelling alien a vagina automatically means they can't do the job...

AG

That's because all previous Doctors have won cybermen, daleks etc. using their penis,

I now have visions of a really weird game of quoits.
  • Of course, being a family show, we've never seen inside the Doctor's trousers, and even within the canon the mechanical details of Time Lord reproduction don't seem to have been discussed. But assuming that Time Lords (an alien species from a far-away planet) do have males and females, the only evidence we have that all previous incarnations of the Doctor have been male, and that the forthcoming one is female, is the use of the gender-specific pronoun - and that could always be down to lousy translation from TimeLordese to English.
  • We have seen other Timelord characters change gender, and not just the Master. Some characters in the classic series did. Though this is the first time The Doctor or any main Timelord character has.
  • I'd like to see some more experimentation with companions. OK OK, they do a good job. I just found both Clara and especially the Scottish woman quite annoying, especially the Scottish woman. If it wasn't for Rory and the magnificent whats-her-name the wife and that episode with the time shifting when Amy (yes, that's her name) gets stuck in a faster timeline, I would have been very unhappy watching every episode at least three times.

Yes, I talked myself out of the argument I was going to make. Its allowed.
  • NuWho has had a tendency to construct whole series around the companion--sometimes demoting the Doctor to a supporting character. Amy and Clara in particular suffered from this. (Bill probably would have suffered from it--what with Wet Heather and Bill's mother--but because she was only around for one series it didn't have time to wear on me.)

I am actually quite pleased to have 3 companions for the coming series, because if there are more of them, the odds are that we won't spend every episode obsessed with just one of them!
  • Simon and I won't be watching retrospectives together...I loved Amy from the moment she was dressed as the policewoman kiss-o-gram. And is River Song the wife you're looking for: she was a star.

I was also a fan of Martha. In fact, I really have liked them all in different ways. But Hedgehog makes a good point about series being structured around the companion.

As Hedgehog wrote, I'm looking forward to 3 companions and how the dynamics play out.
  • My favourite companion in the modern era is Donna. Different to all the others. Loved her Grandad Wilf
  • Mine too
  • Hedgehog wrote: »
    NuWho has had a tendency to construct whole series around the companion--sometimes demoting the Doctor to a supporting character. Amy and Clara in particular suffered from this. (Bill probably would have suffered from it--what with Wet Heather and Bill's mother--but because she was only around for one series it didn't have time to wear on me.)

RTD was not so bad, blame The Moff.
  • I wasn't keen on Donna or Amy, but Wilf and Rory were amazing.
  • It's great seeing Wilf in old films. He looks exactly the same, but less wrinkly and more hair!

I loved Donna, but I don't like the Gran character that is so popular in Britain. The Am I Bovvered girl is quite funny, but for teenage takeoffs you can't go past Vicky Pollard, another creation of the brilliant Mat Lucas.

So many luminaries have graced the screen of Dr Who! I am very very troubled in an unpleasant way by The League of Gentlemen, but Mark Gatiss is one of those 'good at everything' blokes. I think I'm over men dressing up as women for a joke.
  • Rory. Top bloke. "Would you like me to repeat the question?"
  • I thought we might get an Asian or African heritage Doctor before a woman. Not that I think a female doctor is wrong. I just thought the program might explore those issues first. Doctor Who and Strictly results on the same night. I am happy
  • balaambalaam Shipmate
    edited September 2018
    Hugal wrote: »
    I thought we might get an Asian or African heritage Doctor before a woman.

There is one of each among the new companions. Racial issues could still come up.

The lead is playing an alien, how diverse do you want?
  • Doctor Who Trailer 2
    "I'm just a traveler..."

Getting so excited for the new season!
  • As am I. Especially after watching that. October 8 (timey wimey thing means we get it here then) can't come soon enough for me.
  • balaam wrote: »
    Hugal wrote: »
    I thought we might get an Asian or African heritage Doctor before a woman.

There is one of each among the new companions. Racial issues could still come up.

The lead is playing an alien, how diverse do you want?

Yes but it would be interesting to see how the Doctor deals with the attudes when related to him/her personally.
  • ClimacusClimacus Shipmate
    edited September 2018
    For those in Australia, Whovians (a panel show discussing the episode) is back on: https://twitter.com/ABC_COMEDY/status/1043018093314756610

@ABC_COMEDY: With a new Doctor comes brand new #WhoviansAU! Join @Rove and friends on Mon 8 Oct at 7.30pm. #DoctorWho https://t.co/uDrl8yAypI

Wonder if this means Doctor Who will be on Mondays at 6.30pm?
  • 2 more sleeps for us here...
  • tessaBtessaB Shipmate
    Ok, I know I have very little discernment, I just love everything Doctor, but I am impressed with the start of this. I think Jodie Whittaker is going to be a great Dr. I love the accent, the enthusiasm and the touch of madness which is essential to the role.
    Very good start.
  • KarlLBKarlLB Shipmate
    Well, with a woman doctor, a mixed race couple and black and Asian main characters we should have had a few Daily Mail readers drop dead of Apoplexy.
  • Agreed that it was a good start. One of the Roguelings is still scared about the appearance of the baddy so that's one Dr Who tradition well preserved. I'm not sure about the accent but I hope that I will be able to blank it out if it's a problem.
  • BoogieBoogie Shipmate
    I enjoyed it, I love her energy.

(And her accent but I would, it’s the same as mine :mrgreen: )
    That was good. Enjoyable first episode.
  • Love the northern straight up, down to earth nature & her energy. The characters carried a weak plot well.
  • BroJamesBroJames Purgatory Host
    Agreed. I think she looks like being an excellent Doctor. First episodes always tend to be about assembling the dramatis personae so plotting can be a bit thin. I wonder what has been seeded in there for future episodes.
  • Agreed. For a regeneration episode, it went very well. The Hershey Kiss from Outer Space notwithstanding.

Early days yet, but I will go so far as to say that I love Ryan. He has a Harry-Sullivan-like feel to him. And that's a good thing.

Following up on my earlier post: when did Jodie Whittaker feel like the Doctor to me: "C'mon Yaz. I'm calling you Yaz 'cos we're friends now." Yeah, that's the Doctor.

Was it my imagination or was there no opening title sequence?
  • BroJamesBroJames Purgatory Host
    No. There wasn’t an opening title sequence. I was watching for it to WhatsApp it to my daughter in Africa.
  • A somewhat parochial gripe/rant here: I was very disconcerted by the opening scenes, where the family are sitting right on the edge of a cliff.

I live on the East Sussex coast, where there are frequent incidents of people who think it is clever or brave to pose/sit/stand/picnic/pee on the cliff edges - even where there is a visible crack down the side of the cliff.
    There have been several rock falls in the past year or so, and at least one death, and there are warning signs aplenty - along the cliffs, around the visitors centre, even on the buses running along the coast.
    Tourists don't understand the difference between the soft chalk hereabouts and the harder rock such as that in other parts of the country, and it is to the despair of the various rescue services that film and TV productions portray sitting/standing on cliff edges as a perfectly ordinary way of behaving.

Having recovered from my disquiet about that scene, I enjoyed the rest of the show. I am very happy with the new Doctor, the accent was not a problem, the alien was suitably behind-the-sofa scary (Mr RoS thought it was too scary for children, but we no longer have any at home so I leave that judgement to those who do). Obviously the three about-to-be-companions were going to be transported along with the Doctor, and would land in some scrape, but quite where they ended up was a surprise. A cliff-hanger in a good way!
    Looking forward to watching how it developes.
  • BoogieBoogie Shipmate
    I’m not sure about that @Roseofsharon - it’s fiction, we don’t want people to climb up and jump around on cranes either :)
  • That was fun! I think I am going to enjoy the interactions between the four of them.
  • Loved it. Whittaker is very good, kind of barmy. Plus the Bradley Walsh middle aged ballast. Some bits are a bit boring, of course.
  • Boogie wrote: »
    I’m not sure about that @Roseofsharon - it’s fiction, we don’t want people to climb up and jump around on cranes either :)
    But they don't do that - they do play about on the edge of crumbly cliffs.

Boogie wrote: »
    But they don't do that - they do play about on the edge of crumbly cliffs.

I think I agree - most people wouldn't see that and want ot run about on cranes. But they would want to sit on cliffs.
  • KarlLB wrote: »
    Well, with a woman doctor, a mixed race couple and black and Asian main characters we should have had a few Daily Mail readers drop dead of Apoplexy.
    As it turns out, the show was even more inclusive than that. I find it quite moving that so many afflicted with dyspraxia were thrilled to be represented on screen.

• tessaBtessaB Shipmate
    My daughter has dyspraxia and texted me about 15 minutes in to tell me that (not for the first time) Dr. Who had reduced her to a blubbering wreck. I think it may be the first time I have seen a character with dyspraxia on the telly.
  • Gill HGill H Shipmate
    Inter-racial couples are almost compulsory on NuWho. Rose and Mickey for a start. Martha had a white boyfriend after she left the Tardis, before marrying Mickey. Donna’s fiancé (Lance?) in the Christmas ep was black. Then there’s Clara and Danny Pink. And Bill and Wet Heather. We forget that Amy and Rory were the exception (both white and both ginger - how did River end up blonde?!)

Anyway...

As someone with dyspraxia who still can’t ride a bike, I was cheering on Ryan!

Total,y loved Jodie. From her entrance on, she was the Doctor. Completely.

Anyone else think her big speech to ‘Tim Shaw’ (hee!) was addressed to the disgruntled fanboys? Honour what was, move on, etc, etc?

Oh, and Swiss Army sonic ‘Not knife. Only idiots carry knives.’ Preach it, Doctor.

• tessaB wrote: »
    My daughter has dyspraxia and texted me about 15 minutes in to tell me that (not for the first time) Dr. Who had reduced her to a blubbering wreck. I think it may be the first time I have seen a character with dyspraxia on the telly.
    It turns out that Sunday was the start of Dyspraxia Awareness Week and the production team worked with the Dyspraxia Foundation. I have to say, the show has certainly brought a higher level of awareness.