A General I Need Help place

In the Circus, Utterly Awful Headlines thread, I have somehow retained a post I tried to make, but screwed up badly. I have tried to get rid of it. Ive tried "edit" (there's no erase button), "save" (hoping to see a DO NOT SAVE button), and I cannot get rid of the dang thing. Is there no way to over-ride the "draft saved" instruction? Be kind. I'm old and doing the best I can. Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Pearl B4 Swine

Go to the 'my drafts' list, which is obtained by pressing the fifth button under "New Discussion". Find the relevant post there and click the little cross in the top right of the box. It should disappear.
  • Is there any reason for me to stop using the massive urls that you sometimes get in news articles? Is it better for the smooth running of the ship that I use Tiny URL or some such site?
  • We shouldn't have any problem with any URL here (unlike the old Ship where some gave problems, and TinyURL or similar was needed). The use of alternative text to describe where the link takes you is appreciated.
  • FirenzeFirenze Purgatory Host, Host Emeritus
    How do you do the @Shipmate thingie so that it becomes a live link to their profile and shows up in notifications?
  • finelinefineline Kerygmania Host
    @Firenze - Here is how I did it just then. I typed the @ and then I started typing your username. When I typed f, I got a drop down menu of all users beginning. I could have just selected you, but I kept going to r, because by then you are the only option, as no other shipmate begins with fir. Then I clicked your name.
  • FirenzeFirenze Purgatory Host, Host Emeritus
    Thanks. I did try typing the @ plus the username, but perhaps I moved too fast.
  • Curiosity killedCuriosity killed Shipmate, 8th Day Host
    If there are two parts to the name - for example my user name - you need inverted commas around both parts to make it work. The system reads a space as finishing the name off. Mostly for more complicated names I wait for the system to give me answers on the drop down menu - but it only gives me five names until I type in some more letters.
  • Oh. I thought this was going to be about shipmates gofundmes.

But it could be ...

AFF
    @A Feminine Force - wouldn't that be found in All Saints?
  • @A Feminine Force - wouldn't that be found in All Saints?

I don't know ... I guess so. I ran in here and never noticed it was the Styx.

LOL.

AFF
  • finelinefineline Kerygmania Host
    If there are two parts to the name - for example my user name - you need inverted commas around both parts to make it work. The system reads a space as finishing the name off. Mostly for more complicated names I wait for the system to give me answers on the drop down menu - but it only gives me five names until I type in some more letters.

If the name appears in the drop-down menu after you've typed a couple of letters after the @, you can just click on it, and it will appear in the text box already with the inverted commas, so you don't have to put them in (though that may be what you are saying anyway). I will do this now with your name to check I'm correct.

@Curiosity killed

Yes, I typed @ and then cu, and your name was there, and I clicked it, and that is all I have to do. I think the number of names it shows is about how many people have names beginning with those letters, and five is the maximum it shows, but there were only two names beginning with cu.

Yes, and it really needs two or three letters to pull up the names with several parts.
  • SusanDorisSusanDoris Shipmate
    May I ask for some assistance, please? If someone could find where the posts were which mentioned Ursula LeGuin, I would be grateful.

In one of the book discussions the subject of Ursula LeGuin came up and I obviously had to remedy a lack in my life, since I had never read anything of hers! I tried the first of the Earthsea Chronicles' but could not find a connection, even though I listened to the first part. I then ordered (from the NLB) a copy of 'Compass Rose' short stories and have listened to most of the first section. Here again, though, I cannot find a link between the stories and me. The reader is very goodand the use of language is of a high quality, but I find it well, not exactly pretentious, but failing to communicate. This wouldn't matter if some kind of image, or background picture comes to mind, but there is nothing for me. It is not even a black and white, it just is a voice from a blank background. So far, the "characters" have no shape or size, even though with an effort I could work out the latter in two of the stories.

I think it was mousethief who was particularly recommending the author, and I would be interested in being guided in what I am missing and why. Unfortunately, the NLB only have about three of her books.
  • Colin SmithColin Smith Shipmate
    SusanDoris wrote: »
    May I ask for some assistance, please? If someone could find where the posts were which mentioned Ursula LeGuin, I would be grateful.

In one of the book discussions the subject of Ursula LeGuin came up and I obviously had to remedy a lack in my life, since I had never read anything of hers! I tried the first of the Earthsea Chronicles' but could not find a connection, even though I listened to the first part. I then ordered (from the NLB) a copy of 'Compass Rose' short stories and have listened to most of the first section. Here again, though, I cannot find a link between the stories and me. The reader is very goodand the use of language is of a high quality, but I find it well, not exactly pretentious, but failing to communicate. This wouldn't matter if some kind of image, or background picture comes to mind, but there is nothing for me. It is not even a black and white, it just is a voice from a blank background. So far, the "characters" have no shape or size, even though with an effort I could work out the latter in two of the stories.

I think it was mousethief who was particularly recommending the author, and I would be interested in being guided in what I am missing and why. Unfortunately, the NLB only have about three of her books.

Here https://forums.shipoffools.com/discussion/1197/what-we-are-reading-the-2019-edition#latest
    Colin Smith

thank you for posting that link, but unfortunately the one I was referring to was back in January or February I think.

• RooKRooK Admin Emeritus
    I think you mean this post from another Styx thread.
    RooK wrote: »
    I think you mean this post from another Styx thread.
    Thank you for your help. Yes, that was the thread. I'd never have found it!