A General I Need Help place

In the Circus, Utterly Awful Headlines thread, I have somehow retained a post I tried to make, but screwed up badly. I have tried to get rid of it. Ive tried "edit" (there's no erase button), "save" (hoping to see a DO NOT SAVE button), and I cannot get rid of the dang thing. Is there no way to over-ride the "draft saved" instruction? Be kind. I'm old and doing the best I can. Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Pearl B4 Swine

Go to the 'my drafts' list, which is obtained by pressing the fifth button under "New Discussion". Find the relevant post there and click the little cross in the top right of the box. It should disappear.
  • Is there any reason for me to stop using the massive urls that you sometimes get in news articles? Is it better for the smooth running of the ship that I use Tiny URL or some such site?
  • We shouldn't have any problem with any URL here (unlike the old Ship where some gave problems, and TinyURL or similar was needed). The use of alternative text to describe where the link takes you is appreciated.
  • FirenzeFirenze Shipmate, Host Emeritus
    How do you do the @Shipmate thingie so that it becomes a live link to their profile and shows up in notifications?
  • finelinefineline Kerygmania Host
    @Firenze - Here is how I did it just then. I typed the @ and then I started typing your username. When I typed f, I got a drop down menu of all users beginning. I could have just selected you, but I kept going to r, because by then you are the only option, as no other shipmate begins with fir. Then I clicked your name.
  • FirenzeFirenze Shipmate, Host Emeritus
    Thanks. I did try typing the @ plus the username, but perhaps I moved too fast.
  • If there are two parts to the name - for example my user name - you need inverted commas around both parts to make it work. The system reads a space as finishing the name off. Mostly for more complicated names I wait for the system to give me answers on the drop down menu - but it only gives me five names until I type in some more letters.
  • Oh. I thought this was going to be about shipmates gofundmes.

But it could be ...

AFF
  • @A Feminine Force - wouldn't that be found in All Saints?
  • @A Feminine Force - wouldn't that be found in All Saints?

I don't know ... I guess so. I ran in here and never noticed it was the Styx.

LOL.

AFF
    If there are two parts to the name - for example my user name - you need inverted commas around both parts to make it work. The system reads a space as finishing the name off. Mostly for more complicated names I wait for the system to give me answers on the drop down menu - but it only gives me five names until I type in some more letters.

If the name appears in the drop-down menu after you've typed a couple of letters after the @, you can just click on it, and it will appear in the text box already with the inverted commas, so you don't have to put them in (though that may be what you are saying anyway). I will do this now with your name to check I'm correct.

@Curiosity killed

Yes, I typed @ and then cu, and your name was there, and I clicked it, and that is all I have to do. I think the number of names it shows is about how many people have names beginning with those letters, and five is the maximum it shows, but there were only two names beginning with cu.

• Yes, and it really needs two or three letters to pull up the names with several parts.
  • SusanDorisSusanDoris Shipmate
    May I ask for some assistance, please? If someone could find where the posts were which mentioned Ursula LeGuin, I would be grateful.

In one of the book discussions the subject of Ursula LeGuin came up and I obviously had to remedy a lack in my life, since I had never read anything of hers! I tried the first of the Earthsea Chronicles' but could not find a connection, even though I listened to the first part. I then ordered (from the NLB) a copy of 'Compass Rose' short stories and have listened to most of the first section. Here again, though, I cannot find a link between the stories and me. The reader is very goodand the use of language is of a high quality, but I find it well, not exactly pretentious, but failing to communicate. This wouldn't matter if some kind of image, or background picture comes to mind, but there is nothing for me. It is not even a black and white, it just is a voice from a blank background. So far, the "characters" have no shape or size, even though with an effort I could work out the latter in two of the stories.

I think it was mousethief who was particularly recommending the author, and I would be interested in being guided in what I am missing and why. Unfortunately, the NLB only have about three of her books.
  • Colin SmithColin Smith Shipmate
    SusanDoris wrote: »
    May I ask for some assistance, please? If someone could find where the posts were which mentioned Ursula LeGuin, I would be grateful.

In one of the book discussions the subject of Ursula LeGuin came up and I obviously had to remedy a lack in my life, since I had never read anything of hers! I tried the first of the Earthsea Chronicles' but could not find a connection, even though I listened to the first part. I then ordered (from the NLB) a copy of 'Compass Rose' short stories and have listened to most of the first section. Here again, though, I cannot find a link between the stories and me. The reader is very goodand the use of language is of a high quality, but I find it well, not exactly pretentious, but failing to communicate. This wouldn't matter if some kind of image, or background picture comes to mind, but there is nothing for me. It is not even a black and white, it just is a voice from a blank background. So far, the "characters" have no shape or size, even though with an effort I could work out the latter in two of the stories.

I think it was mousethief who was particularly recommending the author, and I would be interested in being guided in what I am missing and why. Unfortunately, the NLB only have about three of her books.

Here https://forums.shipoffools.com/discussion/1197/what-we-are-reading-the-2019-edition#latest
    Colin Smith

thank you for posting that link, but unfortunately the one I was referring to was back in January or February I think.

• RooKRooK Admin Emeritus
    I think you mean this post from another Styx thread.
    RooK wrote: »
    I think you mean this post from another Styx thread.
    Thank you for your help. Yes, that was the thread. I'd never have found it!

• anoesisanoesis Shipmate
    Can anyone tell me, is a full PM box still a 'thing' on the new ship? I've been happily PM'ing someone for a couple of months, having a tangential but informative discussion on a subject likely of interest only to we two, and I seem to have been ghosted in the last week or two - but the shipmate in question is still posting on threads, so obviously not taking a hiatus. Confused.
  • LuciaLucia Shipmate
    Last couple of months using SoF on my phone has gone horribly laggy. Every page takes ages to load and then I have to wait to be able to scroll down the page. Samsung phone with Android. Same problem on Wi-Fi or 4G. I'm not having this problem with any other websites . Any suggestions how to fix it?
  • DardaDarda Shipmate
    Lucia wrote: »
    Last couple of months using SoF on my phone has gone horribly laggy. Every page takes ages to load and then I have to wait to be able to scroll down the page. Samsung phone with Android. Same problem on Wi-Fi or 4G. I'm not having this problem with any other websites . Any suggestions how to fix it?

I have also found SoF to be slow in recent weeks on both my android phone and android tablet. Like Lucia, other websites are OK
  • anoesis wrote: »
    Can anyone tell me, is a full PM box still a 'thing' on the new ship? I've been happily PM'ing someone for a couple of months, having a tangential but informative discussion on a subject likely of interest only to we two, and I seem to have been ghosted in the last week or two - but the shipmate in question is still posting on threads, so obviously not taking a hiatus. Confused.
    I don't think there are any restrictions on the number of messages you can have stored.
  • Simon ToadSimon Toad Shipmate
    edited June 14
    A few months ago, I stopped getting a little squiggly line under words that were misspelled, or not suitably American. This line helped the editing process. I could check my spelling, pick up typos and rage at imperialist z-creep. I have decided now that I want this option back. Is there a check box that needs checking?
  • Lamb ChoppedLamb Chopped Shipmate
    edited June 14
    In Word, right? Go to the File menu, pick Options, pick Proofing, and click all the stuff you want to show up. Oh, and have a few extra u's in your honor and color on me.
    lol. No, I mean on the Ship. I'm actually not so fussed about u's. It's the z that gets me :tongue:
  • It will be on your browser options. So where the spellchecker is will depend on the browser you're using.
    Thanks CK. It must have turned itself off in an update. I found it amusing that a swear word for a dump was listed in my custom dictionary.
  • Jengie JonJengie Jon Shipmate
    Or there is Grammarly, which has an app for several browsers that does this.
  • caroline444caroline444 Shipmate
    Would be grateful to know how do I access a wider variety of emoticons to use here - as I have seen some people doing?
  • Well, there's @RooK's preferred list or there's the list I put together with discussions on how to post them around that date. You need to a colon : with the words or letters given
    @Curiosity killed

Many thanks!
    edited June 22
    Secondly, I'd be grateful to know how to do a link with just one word. On the website flickr I am used to using the following <a href="link code goes here">WORD</a>
  • That's html code, here you need BB Code.
    [url=(link ref)]WORD[/url]

• BroJamesBroJames Purgatory Host
    Yes. I can follow the link. And what Curiosity killed said.
    edited June 22
    @Curiosity killed and @BroJames ...Thank you so much.

Hopefully this will work....

Charlie
    it works.
    I hope you don't mind me bothering you again, but could you let me know if this link works (this time it's to a pic posted privately.)

Jemima
  • Nope, need to be signed in to see that (and luckily for you I'm not currently signed in to Flickr)
    edited June 22
    @Jengie Jon - Many thanks!

@Curiosity killed - Thank you so much for checking that out, but what a bore, it means I can't link to pix by hosting them at flickr. Grrrrr!
  • HelenEvaHelenEva Shipmate
    I saw on the Transgender thread (or one of it's related threads) that IngoB has "departed". Is that departed in the sense of departed this life or departed the ship? I hope the latter.
  • Curiosity killedCuriosity killed Shipmate
    edited July 12
    IngoB left Ye Olde Shippe™ with leaving threads and all, some time ago.
    @caroline444 , it’s been a long time since I used Flickr, so I may be mistaken, but I believe you can change privacy settings, for either individual photos or the whole lot, to make them public. Then people can see without being signed in.
    edited July 12
    fineline - thank you, what you say is quite right. That used to be fine in the old days. I would be able to zap a photograph back to the end of my steam on flickr (by giving it an 'uploading date' in 2006). Then I would make it public, and show it to whoever I wanted to. None of my flickr friends would see it because it was right at the end of my steam. Nowadays pix appear on people's feeds on the actual days they are uploaded. I can't pretend that a pic was uploaded in 2006. So, I can't display pix here, without showing them to my flickr friends too, and that would very seldom be what I would want :confounded:
  • I'm needing to find an alternative to Flickr as my photo collection there exceeds the maximum they now permit.
    That also happened to me, Alan Cresswell. I hadn't even posted very much. I have an Instagram account now. I haven't yet used it much, but I think there isn't a limit to how many photos you can post.
    Many of my old friends at flickr have moved on to Instagram...
  • I've not tried Instagram, I know Facebook is awful when it comes to archiving photos. I share things there as they happen, but organising photos into collections so that it's easy to find them again is awful. When it comes down to it, I'm not looking for a social media photo sharing, but a more organised archival place where I can easily collect my pictures with the associated stories that go with them (at the least, descriptions of individual pictures and collections), I don't feel any need to have friends in the same place as my pictures.
    I'm afraid I can't help...I'm only familiar with flickr.
    Google photos?
  • Gramps49Gramps49 Shipmate
    I had thought I knew how to put links in a conversation, but recently it seems that I cannot link anything. I will enter a url to the link tab, hit ok, but then when I move to name the link, I cannot. Frustrated.