Coast to Coast to Coast - Canada 2019

PigletPiglet All Saints Host, Circus Host
Happy new year, shiny new thread!

Have at it with your hockey team's woes, your addiction to Timmy's and how much snow you had to shovel this morning!

Comments

• Lily PadLily Pad Shipmate
    Woe to the Juniors and the shattered hockey stick at the worst possible moment. Sigh.

No Timmy's addiction here. Bakin' Donuts all the way. :)

And no snow to shovel this morning, thankfully, as we are having a record low for this day of -21 degrees Celsius. Only a -25 degree wind chill though. No sweat.

Off to the vet for a certain therapy dog to maintain her 2019 credentials and then a little play at the dog park.
  • Bacon donuts? Who said bacon donuts?

Happy New Year to everyone may all our fondest dreams be made manifest in 2019.

AFF
  • CaissaCaissa Shipmate
    The juniors suffered three misfortunes. 1) Fluky tying goal; 2) Comtois' questionable penalty shooting technique; 3) broken stick followed by self-deflected losing goal. GRRRR!!!!!
  • LeafLeaf Shipmate
    Since the hockey-loving members of the family were not able to gather this year, I was peacefully unaware of the World Juniors this year until news feeds mentioned something about a broken stick. This past Christmas, the family room was freed from its annual forced domination by hockey and the hours of yelling accompanying it. I missed the family members but not so much the games.
    Maybe tennis will get a higher profile? Loving the news out of New Zealand this morning about Bianca Andreescu of Mississauga.
  • CaissaCaissa Shipmate
    edited January 4
    She is indeed on a roll. It will be interesting to see how she does at the Aussie Open.
  • Caissa wrote: »
    The juniors suffered three misfortunes. 1) Fluky tying goal; 2) Comtois' questionable penalty shooting technique; 3) broken stick followed by self-deflected losing goal. GRRRR!!!!!

Yes, but if they'd played better for the first three periods, there would have been no problem. They seemed to be off their game.
  • HuiaHuia Shipmate
    The title of this thread makes me smile.

In NZ we have a kind of race/triathlon called the Coast to Coast where contestants from all around the world bike, run and kayak from a tiny place called Kumara Junction on the West Coast of the South Island to Sumner or New Brighton Beach in Christchurch on the east Coast. Some do it in teams while others do "The Longest Day" as sole competitors. I live close to Sumner and have often seen them cycling the last lap - residents line the street and clap or shout encouragement.

I wonder how long it would take to get from the west to the east coast of Canada?
  • PigletPiglet All Saints Host, Circus Host
    edited January 5
    Huia wrote: »
    ... I wonder how long it would take to get from the west to the east coast of Canada?
    Even flying, quite a while - I just fed Victoria, British Columbia to St. John's, Newfoundland into Sky Scanner and the fastest flights (with flight changes) took between 10 and 11 hours. :mrgreen:

Biking, running and kayaking ... eek!!!
    I regularly host cyclists who are doing a cross-Canada tour. Most take about three months. Good friends of mine did it in 2017 and are now in New Zealand and Australia for four months. I hosted this guy and was amazed at how little he was carrying. He literally cycled coast to coast to coast. Needless to say, cycling around town is quite enough for me.
    http://www.jabigjourney.com/
  • TrudyTrudy Heaven Host
    Piglet wrote: »
    Huia wrote: »
    ... I wonder how long it would take to get from the west to the east coast of Canada?
    Even flying, quite a while - I just fed Victoria, British Columbia to St. John's, Newfoundland into Sky Scanner and the fastest flights (with flight changes) took between 10 and 11 hours. :mrgreen:

True enough. The one time our family went to Australia, after the endless flight back from Sydney the plane landed in Vancouver and everyone around us was so happy to be "home at last!" We still had a 10-hour flight to go.
  • Trudy wrote: »

True enough. The one time our family went to Australia, after the endless flight back from Sydney the plane landed in Vancouver and everyone around us was so happy to be "home at last!" We still had a 10-hour flight to go.

Yes it's a big place isn't it? Hard to believe it's a shorter flight from Toronto to Paris than it is from Vancouver to St. John's.

AFF
  • MarsupialMarsupial Shipmate
    Why we don't live in Vancouver. :smile: We travelled to Europe last year with a friend from the west coast. It was noticeable how much worse his jet lag was.
    I don't know about you, but I always find jet-lag is much worse going east than west: whenever we go home to the UK I'm not worth tuppence for the first couple of days, and that's only on a flight from Eastern Canada.
    I think it usually works that way for me too -- though (unusually) we were in Europe twice this year and it was much worse the second time (Prague) than the first time (UK).
  • Mrs Teasdale and I had to fly back to the UK in November. Flying there wasn't too bad (we got into regular sleep patterns after a couple of days) but returning to the West Coast was a new form of hell - much worse than I had experienced before. We struggled for days before deciding to knock ourselves out with sleeping tablets (something we've never done before). It seemed to work and we finally got into a decent pattern of sleep.

We go back to the UK in late spring and I am now not looking forward to the jet lag (either way).

But I have to admit that I am not tempted in the slightest to move to the East Coast. Flights to the UK may be easier but that's about all, as far as I can see. We have a church member who is a born'n'bred Newfie, who has been back "home" for Christmas with his mother. His wife has just told me that he is returning west sooner than expected as he can't stand the weather any more!
    They got a pretty nasty dump of snow in St. John's over New Year - about 45cm - which would be enough to send the most dedicated East Coaster scuttling westward!

Having said that, I really wouldn't want to be any further west than I am.
  • In B.C. today, the RCMP arrested 14 people at the barricade in the traditional lands of the Wet’suwet’en in support of a natural gas pipeline company. It isn't very good. Link.

In my view it's another one of those "we care about indigenous people except when there's lots of money involved". As John Ralston Saul stated "no solid relationship is possible so long as the Canadian government continues to rise in courtrooms and begin cases against the rights of Aboriginal nations by first arguing before the law that they do not exist as a people. This is our government. What could sympathy possibly mean if it is preceded by a denial of existence..." (The Comeback, 2014).
    This may be getting way too Purgatorial way too fast, but I'm actually not sure exactly what JRS means with this accusation...
  • What I gather from hearing him on CBC radio a while back is that Canada has mythologised itself re indigenous people and that it isn't okay to keep up the delusion. We either lose the myth that we're nice polite people or we admit that we have real work to do with the first peoples of the country. I think he's also pointing out, without saying it directly, that when the gov't goes into a courtroom to argue that first nations don't have this or that right, it is in the corporate interest of which the gov't is far to dependent.

You may be right that there's a Purg topic in this, but is it something to say that much more about? I personally see that we're going in the right direction, though we could discuss the timing and route.
    We do seem to be generally moving in positive direction, though as we've seen with the pipeline issues, there are still lots of issues we need to navigate.
    Reading the Globe on this (much of which is behind a paywall), it seems that part of the problem is that the elected and traditional hereditary chiefs are taking different positions on the issue. The elected chiefs are onside, and have been promised economic benefits for their communities; the hereditary chiefs are against. The actual disputed territory is land that is not on a reserve (which would be within the jurisdiction of the elected chiefs) but traditional lands over which the hereditary chiefs claim Aboriginal title. The actual process of attempting to prove Aboriginal title is incredibly long and involved and having attempted once, with ultimately inconclusive results at the Supreme Court, no one apparently has the appetite for a second attempt in respect of these particular lands.

The Courts have established mandatory consultations with Aboriginal groups when government projects have potential impacts on disputed lands -- this is the process that the Federal Court of Appeal said wasn't done properly in the case of TransMountain. I assume something similar would have happened here -- and clearly a number of affected aboriginal groups came onboard -- but I don't know what the result ultimately was in respect of the hereditary chiefs.
  • edited January 9
    I can't find anything on the Wet'suwet'en elected chiefs' website which could clarify this, but I knew of instances in the past where some elected councils claimed jurisdiction on undetermined claims. Hereditary chiefs have a strong presence on the west coast, much less so in other regions. In many Pacific councils, hereditary chiefs have sought election and have been in places the majority on councils. My usual contact in such matters doesn't know what the situation is that council, but the elected chiefs have an agreement with the pipeline agency.
  • LothlorienLothlorien All Saints Host
    edited January 13
    If any of you over there would like to warm up, let me know. I will put some heat in an envelope with cottonwool to keep it warm. and will post it. Today is fine, just 32°C but the next five consecutive days are forecast for here as 39°C. I will gladly send you some. I can send you some humidity too which will intensify the heat.
  • Lothlorien wrote: »
    If any of you over there would like to warm up, let me know. I will put some heat in an envelope with cottonwool to keep it warm. and will post it. Today is fine, just 32°C but the next five consecutive days are forecast for here as 39°C. I will gladly send you some. I can send you some humidity too which will intensify the heat.

I read 32F and thought Why yes, that would be lovely, please send some of that warm weather this way.

My blood is so thin after 3 years in southern Spain that -9 might as well be -90.

AFF
    32°F would be a shock to the system here. It has been a very hot summer here with long spells of consecutive hot days. There is still February to come and March can be hot too.
    At the moment, 32°F would feel positively tropical - it's currently 6°F (-14°C).

Brrrrrrr ...
  • edited January 14
    You would like it here-- only -12C. I expect to see people running about in shorts and Tshirts, with cats politely petitioning for buzzcuts.
    Supposed to go up to -10 today and not much of a wind. I'll believe it when I see it. Still -14 which, I suppose, is warmer than it has been for a few days. Funnily enough, the dog doesn't seem to be able to tell so we go out regardless. I will not be in shorts nor a t-shirt though. I wait until it is into the double digits on the + side of the zero mark for that.
  • I worry quite a bit about the lack of really cold weather. It should be in the -20°C level at least, and a month or so of -35s is required to kill some of the insects which are destroying the boreal forests. We had -4°C at 9:30pm last night, which made going home quite dangerous. Ice on top of snow on top of ice on top of snow is falling and fractures waiting to happen.

On completely different wintry experience, we were skiing through a trail system in one of the provincial forests and came upon a wolf kill of a white tailed deer. Not much left, even of the hide. 6 sets of tracks. The dog was with us. Needless to say we did not linger. My thought was that we're probably safe as they have eaten yesterday.
  • CaissaCaissa Shipmate
    -17 this morning in Saint John, N.B. with a windchill of -24. Nippy.
    -24°, wind-chill -30 in Freddy this morning. Up to -10° now, and beautifully sunny, but as NP says, snow on top of ice on top of snow is no fun.
    Was a beautiful sunset out at the beach and a refreshing change to be able to see well - no frost on the eyelashes today. It was pretty cold out but the wind had died down. It is going to be very cold tonight but then will warm up quite a bit during the day tomorrow - just about -5 or -6, I believe. We've set records in the past couple of months for wind. It makes such a difference in the feels-like temperature. We also rely on the low temperatures to keep the bugs at bay. I don't know how we're doing with frost in the ground but if this keeps up, there will be no problem.
  • If anyone is extra cold I can send a couple more degrees C from this nation's capital. Forecast is 41 tomorrow, and it's 39.5 right now. (4pm). AFF, 32F (0C) is quite often a pleasant winter morning here, still and sunny.
    38 here. DIL’s brother and family are down from Darwin on start of year around Australia with their two young children. He is mowing our back lawn. Heavy rain from storms and lots of heat has made grass calf length in the two weeks since Christmas. It was mown Christmas Eve.
  • The car is plugged in every night now, but I still managed to ruin a $40 pair of windscreen wiper blades yesterday after forgetting that they were frozen solid to the glass and had to be peeled off very carefully with the edge of a credit card (the same one that I needed to buy the new ones).
    We're contemplating buying one of those heated thingies for de-icing your car windows - if they work the way they do in the adverts, they'd save a lot of time and hassle.

We also want a cordless electric snow shovel but I suspect the chances of any of the local hardware shops having them in stock before the winter storm we're being threatened with at the weekend hits is a bazillion to one.

We inherited a snow-blower with the house, but it's a huge plug-in affair, and it lives in the shed, which is snowed in ... :blush:

We don't really have enough land to justify a big snow-blower anyway - we have a double drive (but only one car, which isn't very big), a narrow path and a small deck leading to the house. It's enough to make shovelling a pain (sometimes literally), so we reckon that a shovel with a bit of extra oomph should be just what we need, and would be small enough to store in the house during the winter.
  • MooMoo Kerygmania Host
    The car is plugged in every night now, but I still managed to ruin a $40 pair of windscreen wiper blades yesterday after forgetting that they were frozen solid to the glass and had to be peeled off very carefully with the edge of a credit card (the same one that I needed to buy the new ones).

When my windshield is frosted over, I start the car and turn on the defroster. It takes a while, but I can clear the windshield that way. For the side windows, I use a defroster spray. I hold the bottle in one hand and the scraper in the other. I spray, wait a few seconds, and then scrape. It works very well.

OTOH I am far south of you, and none of this may work for you.

• The car is plugged in every night now, but I still managed to ruin a $40 pair of windscreen wiper blades yesterday after forgetting that they were frozen solid to the glass and had to be peeled off very carefully with the edge of a credit card (the same one that I needed to buy the new ones).

When I'm stuck in the cold, I try to remember to lift the windshield wipers every evening, unless parked indoors.

When I'm stuck in the cold, I try to remember to lift the windshield wipers every evening, unless parked indoors.

That is the sensible thing to do with almost all cars. This particular VW doesn't let you lift them far enough. The arms foul the back of the bonnet (hood) - the only car I've ever seen like that.
  • CaissaCaissa Shipmate
    You need to move the Cathedral to Saint John, Piglet. We will get more rain than snow this weekend.
  • I swear a more Canadian conversation could not be found anywhere.

AFF
    Caissa wrote: »
    You need to move the Cathedral to Saint John, Piglet. We will get more rain than snow this weekend.

Indeed - we still don't seem to know exactly what we're going to get - just that there's likely to be too much of it.
  • Piglet wrote: »
    Caissa wrote: »

Indeed - we still don't seem to know exactly what we're going to get - just that there's likely to be too much of it.

You might want to recall that from 1879 to 1919 that the then-Diocese of Newfoundland was held jointly with Bermuda-- I don't see why this could not be reinstituted. In any case, it would signally improve the average temperatures and perhaps the health and temperament of clergy and choristers.
    @Augustine the Aleut - I don't know where you've been for the last wee while - we moved to Fredericton in the summer of 2016.

We got about 2 feet of snow, ice and freezing rain on Sunday, and by Monday both our storm doors were completely snowed in, so D. had to cut out the fly-screen from the front one, open the sliding glass pane and climb out to dig us out. Then it was a matter of taking turns at shovelling - I reckon I must have totalled nearly an hour.

Now we have a Weather Statement warning of rain - with any luck it'll clear away some of the snow before we get any more.

@Caissa - are you flooded or was it not as bad as they suggested?
  • That is the worst sort of weather, where things cannot decide themselves between winter and spring and back again. Thankfully we are consistently winter now and the nice sort of winter weather I love: -10 in the day, not quite -20 overnight. Went skiing along the river with the dog who had a lovely time (cross country skiiing). Shifting gears on the winter bicycle is so much easier too when things are warm. I'm saying hello to the community of rabbits every morning on the way to work.
  • Piglet wrote: »
    @Augustine the Aleut - I don't know where you've been for the last wee while - we moved to Fredericton in the summer of 2016.

We got about 2 feet of snow, ice and freezing rain on Sunday, and by Monday both our storm doors were completely snowed in, so D. had to cut out the fly-screen from the front one, open the sliding glass pane and climb out to dig us out. Then it was a matter of taking turns at shovelling - I reckon I must have totalled nearly an hour.
    *snip*

I remembered; but the Newfoundland/Bermuda trivia had been floating around my head for years and it just leapt at the first almost-plausible excuse to jump out.

We have a lovely heat wave in Ottawa, only -9C!

Quite right - an average between Bermuda and Newfoundland temperatures would be nice. The arrangement worked well - Newfoundland sent the Bermudans cod, and they sent back rum in return. I think the Newfies got the better deal!

We're apparently heading for a (rather damp) heatwave too: it's forecast to be 8° tomorrow with heavy rain - hopefully enough to get rid of some of the snow ...
  • We're in the middle of an early Spring rainstorm at the moment, but regularly scheduled winter is supposed to return tomorrow.
    Very damp here too and supposed to get worse. Ground is still frozen so nothing will drain and rain is freezing on contact on the roads. Making for quite an interesting morning. This seems to be the winter where the down parka and the raincoat are sharing a hook.