Shutdown II?

Does anyone want to bet the USA is going to see another shutdown?

Comments

• OhherOhher Shipmate
    Individual One's first shutdown worked so well, why not have another go?

I doubt the Republican leadership would let T Rumpus get away with a repeat. Twenty-two senators with R after their names will be up for re-election in 2020, and I'm pretty sure they know how popular this stunt was with their constituents.
  • NiteowlNiteowl Shipmate
    Trump is probably going to bypass congress and declare a national crisis at the border, triggering a court battle. It will be interesting to see how it plays out, especially with conservative majority on the Supreme Court. I can’t wait until Trump is out of office.
  • Amanda B ReckondwythAmanda B Reckondwyth Mystery Worship Editor
    Ohher wrote: »
    I doubt the Republican leadership would let T Rumpus get away with a repeat.
    They'll let him get away with anything he wants so long as they don't have to disconnect their lips from his big fat you-know-what.

He will declare a national emergency. It will move immediately into the courts. The courts will declare him the laughing stock of the free world (and the not-so-free world to boot) and will nullify his declaration.
  • But if the courts overrule Trump's national emergency, Trump will be able to attack the courts more in his rhetoric, earning points with his base. It also solves his problem with the shutdown because the government will reopen and he will be able to tell his base that he did all he could but the horrible courts got in his way.
  • Well for Pete's sake, and for the sake of the country, he needs a good excuse to stop pursuing this dog's breakfast of a policy.

Another alternative to Trump's wall.
  • RussRuss Shipmate
    Pity they can't shut down in a way that means paying all the frontline staff and not paying all the elected representatives and policy advisors...
  • I'm starting to think that all those intimate, one-on-one conversations with Putin were about how to turn the USA into a military dictatorship / kleptocracy like Mother Russia. There are vast numbers of USA military deployed along the border with no external enemy in sight. Maybe it's Jade Helm for real.
  • RossweisseRossweisse Shipmate, Hell Host
    I'm starting to think that all those intimate, one-on-one conversations with Putin were about how to turn the USA into a military dictatorship / kleptocracy like Mother Russia. ...
    I would not be surprised. I would bet money that they were not in the American public's best interests.

• OhherOhher Shipmate
    Well, I may have to eat my words about there being no second shutdown. According to WaPo, McConnell is trying to stave off an emergency declaration in private talks with T. Rumpus, which perhaps makes another toddler-tantrum more likely:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/powerpost/mcconnell-privately-cautioned-trump-about-emergency-declaration-on-border-wall/2019/02/01/5ff1262c-2646-11e9-81fd-b7b05d5bed90_story.html?utm_term=.2787c17e9d46

• Amanda B ReckondwythAmanda B Reckondwyth Mystery Worship Editor
    Well, at least McConnell seems to have come back from his little do-nothing break.
  • Wishful thinking that Congressional Republicans, courts, etc. will responsibly do their jobs is...well, not a solid foundation to stand on, IMHO.

AIUI, some Congressional Republicans are regaining some contact with consensus reality, outside their cult. Whether that lasts...and whether anyone joins them...is up in the air.
  • I'm starting to think that all those intimate, one-on-one conversations with Putin were about how to turn the USA into a military dictatorship / kleptocracy like Mother Russia. There are vast numbers of USA military deployed along the border with no external enemy in sight. Maybe it's Jade Helm for real.

Vlad is ex-KGB, and AIUI wants to be czar of all the Russias. If he wants to restore the world he grew up in, and improve it (by his lights), and run it, then he's trying to create the Soviet Union 2.0 and Cold War 2.0.

I also wonder if T is trying to do similarly--maybe mid-20th century America 2.0. I haven't had a chance to look up his timeline. But his father insisted that only winners deserve to be loved; his childhood pastor was Norman Vincent Peale, who...wasn't just a happy, positive-thinking guy; as T grew up, there were lots of "strong man" leaders, forcing themselves on the world; sometimes, people who've been badly hurt try to simultaneously hide from the world and control it; and most of the time, ISTM, he's not capable of truly focusing on anything other than his own self and needs.

I'm not sure how he thinks of Vlad: an equal? A stand-in for his late, beloved big brother? Some sort of improved father figure? Maybe he desperately wants male approval.

So, whether or not T and Vlad actually like each other, they may be feeding each other's needs.

If we could just send them off to a nice dacha country house in Russia, where they could shore up each other in private, then maybe the world could just get on.

If we can't, then we're in trouble.
  • Golden Key wrote: »
    I'm not sure how he thinks of Vlad: an equal? A stand-in for his late, beloved big brother? Some sort of improved father figure?
    The holder of the "pee-pee tapes"? I really do suspect that Vlad has something to hold over Trumpty Dumpty.

• On February 5th, I will stand before YOU, the citizens of this great nation, and give my second Official State of the Union Address as President.

Nancy & Chuck don’t want me to speak, Mainstream Media outlets don’t want me to speak, and the Hollywood Elites don’t want me to speak.

But I know, Simon wants me to speak.

That’s why, before I prepare my remarks, I want to hear from the ONLY people who can truly describe the state of our union -- YOU, the American people.

Last year, I used over 3OO,OOO Americans’ survey responses to help me prepare for my State of the Union Address. I need your help again.

Please take the Official State of the Union Prep Survey before 11:59 PM TONIGHT so I can review your answers. >>
    Official State of the Union Prep Survey
    1. Do you approve of the job done by President Donald J. Trump?
    Answer
    2. Do you believe the media has painted a false image of what’s happening at our Southern Border?
    Answer
    3. Do you think the media did a proper job of blaming Democrats for the Shutdown?
    Answer
    4. Do you think news outlets should be held accountable for writing FALSE stories?
    Answer
    5. Are you happy with the current state of the economy?
    Answer

This is the text of an email I got from the Trump campaign. I find it chilling. I think it is the imprecise identification of enemies that is troubling, as well as the groups broadly identified. It's nasty marketing too, using some tried and true manipulative tricks, although I don't think his target audience needs manipulation.

Is this a typical bit of base-baiting?
  • RossweisseRossweisse Shipmate, Hell Host
    Simon Toad wrote: »
    It is for that crowd.

• Dave WDave W Shipmate
    How odd. Why 3OO,OOO instead of 300,000, I wonder. O and 0 are close on the keyboard, but 0 doesn't require a shift.

It's reminiscent of tricks scammers use to make deceptive URLs and email addresses.

• Simon Toad wrote: »

Yes, but Democrats do it too. That doesn't make it right.
  • Dave W wrote: »
    How odd. Why 3OO,OOO instead of 300,000, I wonder. O and 0 are close on the keyboard, but 0 doesn't require a shift.

It's reminiscent of tricks scammers use to make deceptive URLs and email addresses.

I wonder if it is to make the number look bigger in size on the screen.
  • Or could it be that the man is only semi-literate and genuinely thinks that O is the same as 0?
  • In some fonts, it's hard to tell 0 from O.
  • Golden Key wrote: »
    In some fonts, it's hard to tell 0 from O.
    But I assume it's not difficult to tell them apart on your keyboard when you're tweeting.
  • Simon Toad wrote: »
    On February 5th, I will stand before YOU, the citizens of this great nation, and give my second Official State of the Union Address as President.

Nancy & Chuck don’t want me to speak, Mainstream Media outlets don’t want me to speak, and the Hollywood Elites don’t want me to speak.

But I know, Simon wants me to speak.

That’s why, before I prepare my remarks, I want to hear from the ONLY people who can truly describe the state of our union -- YOU, the American people.

Last year, I used over 3OO,OOO Americans’ survey responses to help me prepare for my State of the Union Address. I need your help again.

Please take the Official State of the Union Prep Survey before 11:59 PM TONIGHT so I can review your answers. >>
    Official State of the Union Prep Survey
    1. Do you approve of the job done by President Donald J. Trump?
    Answer
    2. Do you believe the media has painted a false image of what’s happening at our Southern Border?
    Answer
    3. Do you think the media did a proper job of blaming Democrats for the Shutdown?
    Answer
    4. Do you think news outlets should be held accountable for writing FALSE stories?
    Answer
    5. Are you happy with the current state of the economy?
    Answer

This is the text of an email I got from the Trump campaign. I find it chilling. I think it is the imprecise identification of enemies that is troubling, as well as the groups broadly identified. It's nasty marketing too, using some tried and true manipulative tricks, although I don't think his target audience needs manipulation.

Everybody seems to think this is a genuine email, not some satire that ST made up.

WTF. It is real.
  • Did you reply?
  • noooooooooooo. I got on the bloody list by clicking on an ad out of interest and being tempted to tell trump exactly what I thought he could do next. I'm not making that mistake again. I've had a couple more since I posted that one above.
  • But if the courts overrule Trump's national emergency, Trump will be able to attack the courts more in his rhetoric, earning points with his base. It also solves his problem with the shutdown because the government will reopen and he will be able to tell his base that he did all he could but the horrible courts got in his way.

Quite probably. And that is good politics for the GOP who's entire platform is rapidly being reduced to "These are the judges we want..."

Which is, of course, a thoroughly undemocratic power-grab. But probably the inevitable consequence of a politicized judiciary.

AFZ
  • I have fingers, toes, legs crossed that the Trump appointees are going to have a value beyond just being partisan hacks. I am hoping against hope that they are invested in the legal system and are lovers of the Constitution. I am hoping that they act as a conservative bulwark against radical reform from the right. I say to myself, whenever I think about it, that writing an opinion for a client, or an article in a journal is not the same as when you are sitting in your office and the crushing weight of your authority and the significance of what you are doing bears down upon you.
  • OhherOhher Shipmate
    Is your retirement fund also a pot of gold at the end of some leprechaun's rainbow?
  • Simon ToadSimon Toad Shipmate
    edited February 8
    Is this the time for me to crow about Australia's superannuation system, in operation for most of my working life, and which requires employers to contribute an amount calculated as a percentage of my wages each year (it has gone up, so I can't remember) to a fund which I can access at an age which I also can't remember - maybe 55, maybe 65, dunno? Many people in Australia spend time and energy worrying about this stuff, but I'm not one of them. I did consolidate my funds a few years ago, which is a systemic problem that arises when people move employers and don't give a stuff about their retirement because they are 30.

The system has its problems, and a big one is that women tend to spend more time out of the workforce caring for children than men, but there will be another slab of reforms when the Shorten labor Government takes office. I reckon dealing with systemic disadvantage for women will be right up there on their list.

Still, don't want that creepy capitalism with a social conscience coming in and making you all slaves to the good life. Maybe I'll call it Government speaking softly to business but carrying a big stick...

It's probably not the time or the thread for me to crow like that, but Ohher you tempted me and I couldn't resist. I know what I'm saying about the Supreme Court is a naive hope, and I also know that it is a cold comfort when women's reproductive rights are directly in the line of fire. Respecting judicial tradition just doesn't help on that and other substantive issues.
  • ClimacusClimacus Shipmate
    edited February 12
    Simon Toad wrote: »
    Is this the time for me to crow about Australia's superannuation system, in operation for most of my working life, and which requires employers to contribute an amount calculated as a percentage of my wages each year (it has gone up, so I can't remember) to a fund which I can access at an age which I also can't remember - maybe 55, maybe 65, dunno?

Currently an amount equal to 9.5% of your salary. Except if you work at a uni like I did -- 17% of your salary then (that helped me get my super up).

Accessing it? https://www.moneysmart.gov.au/superannuation-and-retirement/how-super-works/getting-your-super#legally

• I got my Colbert Shutdown Protest Mug in the mail today, a bright spot in a dark and teary day (George Pell). It says "Don't even talk to me until I've had my paycheck." So far, I've posted a picture of it to facebook, and had one cup of coffee and one cup of black tea with honey. Actually, I'm waiting for the last cup to ccol a bit before I drink it.