Please see Styx thread on the Registered Shipmates consultation for the main discussion forums - your views are important, continues until April 4th.

Ship of Fools: Proclaimers, Norwich, England

imageShip of Fools: Proclaimers, Norwich, England

A lot to like, but loud, loud, loud!

Read the full Mystery Worshipper report here

Comments

• I was struck by the reporter's comment: "Only the projector screen hints that this is actually a church service." God forbid there should be a cross to identify the place.
  • ClimacusClimacus Shipmate
    Sorry if I'm missing something, but was that comment edited out? I did not read it (and searched the page for it but came up with nothing).

Sorry if I've missed it. Was a tiring day...
    Oh, and thank you St Hilda for a report on a church style I rarely visit.
  • Climacus wrote: »
    Sorry if I'm missing something, but was that comment edited out?

Did you click to expand "More church info"? It's the last sentence under "The Building".
    :embarrassed:

I am so sorry. I do not think I've ever clicked on it. I somehow, no idea how, missed it.

Thank you.
  • SpikeSpike Ecclesiantics & MW Host, Admin Emeritus
    I was struck by the reporter's comment: "Only the projector screen hints that this is actually a church service." God forbid there should be a cross to identify the place.

As they’re using a hired room in a hotel, I suspect they’re not allowed to put up anything permanent
  • Bishops FingerBishops Finger Shipmate
    edited March 2019
    I was rather intrigued as to why Miss Amanda herself had chosen to comment (pertinently, of course) on a Report nearly 10 years old.....
    :wink:
    Spike wrote: »
    I was struck by the reporter's comment: "Only the projector screen hints that this is actually a church service." God forbid there should be a cross to identify the place.

As they’re using a hired room in a hotel, I suspect they’re not allowed to put up anything permanent

I expect that's the case - but portable crosses are available, surely?

• edited March 2019
    I was rather intrigued as to why Miss Amanda herself had chosen to comment (pertinently, of course) on a Report nearly 10 years old.....

I have been reviewing all reports that were ported over from the old site. The porting process was not without issues -- (1) some characters (for example: accented vowels, em dashes, quotation marks and apostrophes in some instances, pound and euro symbols) were not ported over; (2) certain formatting errors occurred; (3) in some instances, entire sections of reports did not get ported over; (4) in some instances, the photo that accompanied the original report could not be successfully cropped to the dimensions required by the new software; (5) some service dates/times were wrong compared to what the original report showed; (6) some very old reports were, erm, not edited to the same standard we insist on today. I have been correcting these and other problems as I encounter them. If the tile that identifies the report on the MW home page includes a short blurb describing the report, then the report has been reviewed by me. If the blurb is not present, then I have not yet reviewed the report.

As I was reviewing the Proclaimers report, it just struck me that the presence of a projection screen was an odd indicator that a church service would be taking place, when there are so many other indicators of Christianity that could have been noticed instead.

Mind you, in one of my own reports, I found it strange that the only object of any kind visible on-stage before the service began was a drum set.
  • Thanks, Miss Amanda.

Your post just goes to remind us of how much work is involved in editing MW Reports for our edification, so thank you again for that.

BTW, I know of one church in this Diocese where the statue of Our Blessed Lady has been moved in order to accommodate drums.... :flushed: ,although in all fairness, I should add that the church is in great demand as a concert venue, as well as having a regular Sunday Mass!
  • Gee DGee D Shipmate
    Spike wrote: »

As has been noted already, portable crosses are readily available. Very appropriate in rgis gathering would be a procession with cross noting that you are bringing worship into the secular space.