Who represents the best in us?

Mr. Rogers is dead. If space aliens put it on you to send them one living human being they could interview, and examine the life of, to determine whether or not to destroy our planet or let us go on living, whom would you send, and why?

Comments

• mr cheesymr cheesy Shipmate
    My granny. Because she was full of laughter and big smiles.

She died a long time ago but somehow the more people I meet the more remarkable I realise she was.
  • GalilitGalilit Shipmate
    Jacinda Ardern, PM of Aotearoa New Zealand. Articulate, smart, convincing, sincere and a woman
  • Gramps49Gramps49 Shipmate
    Desmond Tutu
  • mousethiefmousethief Shipmate
    Note OP specifies one LIVING person.
  • GalilitGalilit Shipmate
    edited March 16
    Wot?? Desmond Tutu's status is "not dead yet" as far as I know
  • mr cheesymr cheesy Shipmate
    My granny is definitely dead. Sorry I missed that part.
  • RossweisseRossweisse Shipmate, 8th Day Host
    Galilit wrote: »
    Jacinda Ardern, PM of Aotearoa New Zealand. Articulate, smart, convincing, sincere and a woman

I second that.

• edited March 16
    Check put #HelloBrother. Afghan refugee who helped everyone who was newly arrived in the Christchurch mosque he attended. He said "hello brother", greeting him just likevhev did everyone, and then was the first person murdered. He was alive very recently, and seems alive to me.

I think it's people like him who represent the best of humanity. The widow's 2 little coins type of people (Mark 12:41-44, Luke 21:1-4). They who proffer kindness just because
  • mousethiefmousethief Shipmate
    Galilit wrote: »
    Wot?? Desmond Tutu's status is "not dead yet" as far as I know

Cheesy's granny. Which has been resolved.
  • MaryLouiseMaryLouise Shipmate
    Young Greta Thunberg, Swedish eco-activist.

What she sad has stirred so many: "Our house is on fire. I want you to panic. I want you to feel the fear I feel every day. We owe it to the young people, to give them hope."
  • Martin54Martin54 Shipmate
    Steve Chalke and all at Oasis. For living the socially active dream.
  • SusanDorisSusanDoris Shipmate
    Check put #HelloBrother. Afghan refugee who helped everyone who was newly arrived in the Christchurch mosque he attended. He said "hello brother", greeting him just likevhev did everyone, and then was the first person murdered.
    I hadn't heard that - that is so very sad.
  • My granny who is still around and a total legend.

Although Jacinda Ardern is also a good choice.

Maybe David Attenborough.
  • BoogieBoogie Shipmate
    Check put #HelloBrother. Afghan refugee who helped everyone who was newly arrived in the Christchurch mosque he attended. He said "hello brother", greeting him just likevhev did everyone, and then was the first person murdered. He was alive very recently, and seems alive to me.

Long may those two words reverberate in the murderer’s mind.

This man also represents the best in us.

:notworthy:

• Mohammad Zatareih

I hadn't heard of him either. He appeared on episode 3 of the BBC's excellent Inside Europe: Ten Years of Turmoil which looked at the migrant crisis. In 2015 Zatareih led a march of asylum seekers across Hungary to the Austrian border after the Hungarians refused to let them board trains or other transport. His actions changed Angela Merkel's policy.

Part of his story is here. https://www.zeit.de/gesellschaft/2016-08/refugees-open-border-policy-september-2015-angela-merkel/seite-2
  • NicoleMRNicoleMR Shipmate
    Mahlala Yousafzai.
  • Simon ToadSimon Toad Shipmate
    edited March 18
    Send them Trump. They should speak to one of the worst of us so they can make a proper decision as to our worthiness to survive. We could put a stamp on his head saying 'no returns'.

I also like the idea of sending someone who has been through a truly horrible experience and come out the other end. Brian Keenan, the bloke who was held hostage in Lebanon, might be good. Mahlala Yousafzai is also a good suggestion, but I would send Keenan. I don't want to send someone to advocate for us.
  • HugalHugal Shipmate
    This reminds me of the stage show Time. Aliens pick the person who seems to be the most important. They pick a pop star.
    Can I have two? David and Carrie Grant. US ship mates may not know them. They are encouragement on legs and see the best in people.
  • ChoristerChorister Shipmate
    One of my former vicars - a fine example of a priest and a quiet encourager of many.