Recovery

GalilitGalilit Shipmate
My paperback Tao Te Ching is beginning to look the worse for wear. I read it after taking my sleeping pill, before I actually fall asleep.
Has anyone had experience with professional re-covering, with whom and how has it worked out? Conversely, how would or could I re-cover it myself?
Or would I just be better to buy 5 more copies and give up on the "acccumulation of sentiment" of this particular "slim volume"?

Comments

• I thought this was going to be something else, but that's ok. :)

I'll be interested to know, too. Oh, and if I may ask, is this the big edition with black and white photos?
  • GalilitGalilit Shipmate
    No - it's Ursula Le Guin's one.
    Purists will be shaking their heads but I love it
  • Lily PadLily Pad Shipmate
    Have just looked it up and Amazon has copies for as little as $2 and several audio and e-versions for free. The hardcover is about $30 CAN. Then again, you could really splurge and get the leather covered edition for $500. :) @Golden Key, I was also thinking this would be something else!
  • I had the same thoughts, and wondered why it was in Heaven rather than All Saints.
  • edited February 3
    Used on Abebooks hardcover for $12.00. Shipping may increase the cost by $5 or so or will be included depending on where you live.
    Yes, I just had this fantasy of doing a fancy re-binding the one I have. (Which has been "vibed up").
    I am pleased to see there is in fact a hardback of it.
    Thanks all so far
  • I used to have a copy of the Tao (the bigger one with the beautiful black-and-white pictures by Jane English) that was irreplaceable because of the 20 years' worth of comments I wrote in the white spaces around the words and photos. Then I lent it to somebody and I can't remember who. If it had gotten shabby, I would definitely have wanted to refurbish rather than replace.
    edited February 3
    Thank you, dear mousethief ... I was wondering if I was "a bit funny". (I know I am but sometimes I forget just how funny!)
    In other news - there are some clips on Youtube about That Sort of Thing. Not that I am especially good at "crafty".
    If only I had a friend who was a restoration librarian at a Cathedral or something
  • I took a class given by our local library on making a book which had a heavy cardboard cover, also using a special book binding material made with paper and cloth for the spine, It was fairly easy and I am not a big crafter. You might check the internet under making a book as well as book binding as the cover could be the same.
    I also thought of taking it apart and putting in a ring binder
  • Lily PadLily Pad Shipmate
    If you are choosing a ring binder, it might be worth going to a large business supply store or stationers of some sort and getting them to do the hole punches. They have machines that clamp down on the whole book and punch it once to make holes all the way through. There are an assortment of binding options there too.
  • EnochEnoch Shipmate
    From recollection and I may be out of date, check how the pages are bound. If they are down the old way, a series of pages folded over and sewn, then it can be taken apart and rebound. If they are done the way most cheap paperbacks are these days, just individual pages pushed into some sort of sticky material on the inside of the spine, I get the impression that once the page start to fall away from the spine, they're almost impossible to rebind.
  • BroJamesBroJames Purgatory Host
    Even they are bound the way Enoch says, a printer who also binds (e.g. theses etc.) may be able to clamp the book and effectively plane off the old spine and re-cover the book in a new cover - if you have room to spare on your inside margins.

Alternatively a local bookbinding hobbyist, or someone who makes handmade books may be able to help. If there’s a local bookbinding class, the instructor may either be able to do it themselves, or direct you to a current or ex-student who can.
    Enoch wrote: »
    From recollection and I may be out of date, check how the pages are bound.

Yes I looked at it hard before I posted and it was not made in "signatures" and I feared the same thing.

Thanks to you also, Bro James...I will ask at the regional library

• You might want to flag @Doc Tor who book binds.
  • McMaverickMcMaverick Shipmate
    Did you manage to cover/save it?
    Its condition seems to have stabilised ... so I decided to wait till it really falls apart - Evo style.
    There is a new edition out in May as well
  • Schroedingers CatSchroedingers Cat Shipmate, Waving not Drowning Host
    The "accumulation of sentiment" is really important. If you can save it, do.
    Thank you - that is very affirming

[p.s.I gather you have wifi in the box]
  • Schroedingers CatSchroedingers Cat Shipmate, Waving not Drowning Host
    edited April 22
    It is a very well appointed box.

And the history of a physical book is why I like second hand works. They come with history. I like that, even without knowing the history.