Trumpton - the rant thread

Comments

• PigletPiglet All Saints Host, Circus Host
    edited July 2019
    It's all right, Hugal - he's not an emperor. He might think he is ...

From what I've read, Sir Kim did exactly his job - reporting truthfully on the situation in Washington - and was stitched up by that journalist woman and her handlers at the Daily Fail (or whatever rag it was) with the sole purpose of replacing him with a Brexiteer.

Aren't diplomats and civil servants supposed to be neutral?

The fact that Brexit (and Mrs. May's handling of it) has the square root of bugger-all to do with Trump seems to have passed him by.
  • CrœsosCrœsos Shipmate
    Piglet wrote: »
    From what I've read, Sir Kim did exactly his job - reporting truthfully on the situation in Washington - and was stitched up by that journalist woman and her handlers at the Daily Fail (or whatever rag it was) with the sole purpose of replacing him with a Brexiteer.

It's not the job of the press to keep the government's secrets. On the other hand I'm pretty sure that is the job of whoever in the FCO served as Ms. Oakeshott's source.
  • Just out of curiosity, is Ms Oakeshott related to Mr Michael Oakeshott, philosopher?
  • If he stripped naked in public they could probably get rid of him. Strictly on that condition, I would love to see him naked.
    I find it very disturbing that a British diplomat can be forced to resign because a foreign leader takes a hissy fit when the diplomat does his job.
  • Piglet wrote: »
    I find it very disturbing that a British diplomat can be forced to resign because a foreign leader takes a hissy fit when the diplomat does his job.

It is.

But, in many ways it was unavoidable as access to the administration is a prerequisite of the job.

Normal Presidents don't get personally offended with foreign diplomats...
  • OhherOhher Shipmate
    Normal presidents also don't get to block critics from their Twitter feed, as [url=< https://www.nytimes.com/2019/07/09/us/politics/trump-twitter-first-amendment.html>]
    as an appeals court has just ruled.[/url]

• Is there no limit to the Orange Oaf's infamy?

Just askin'.

But I think I know the answer.
    :grimace:
  • Dave WDave W Shipmate
    Piglet wrote: »
    Why? It’s unfortunate, but he really can’t do his job now, can he? Same thing happened to the US Ambassador to Mexico in 2011 when his frank, critical cables were leaked.

I’d be more concerned by the idea that someone in the Foreign Office (or elsewhere) is willing to leak this kind of thing to the press.
  • agingjbagingjb Shipmate
    Yes, it's the leak that is appalling. I wonder if anyone will be charged. We can be sure, by now, that the people responsible are known - but no arrest.

Of course journalists may not reveal their source, but in this case they can be charged with conspiracy, which should worry them.
    I can't help thinking that the whole thing stinks to high heaven, and to be fair, the stink isn't just emanating from Trump.

Johnson doesn't want a pro-European having any influence with his new best friend (ugh!), so maybe a gentle nudge to one of his chums in the media, and hey, presto ...

He may not have had the power to sack Sir Kim (yet), but he does seem to have managed to make his position untenable.
  • That would be a very dangerous move from Boris surely. He's on the cusp of being PM and he induces someone to leak classified material for such a minor result? I only know of him from British Political Satire but is he that stupid?
  • maybe not that stupid but he is that arrogant and self-serving
  • DafydDafyd Shipmate
    Simon Toad wrote: »
    I only know of him from British Political Satire but is he that stupid?
    Johnson's career so far has been based on the principle that if he acts as if he has got away with it then he does get away with it. Also, that if the consequences of his actions are such that other people have to clean up after him then they do and he doesn't have to.

• HugalHugal Shipmate
    There was an interesting article in yesterday’s Evening Standard by one of the members of his team back when he was London mayor. It basically said he had lots of energy and personality which made meeting good, but they had to steer him away from ideas that wouldn’t work and make him think the ideas that worked were his.
    We could cry at the thought of him in no 10
  • sionisaissionisais Shipmate
    Boogie wrote: »
    The ambassador spoke the truth in measured language.

The emperor has no clothes.

The emperor has plenty of clothes, but none of them fit. He looks like the aftermath of a bomb going off under a laundry van.
  • stetsonstetson Shipmate
    edited July 2019
    That would be a very dangerous move from Boris surely. He's on the cusp of being PM and he induces someone to leak classified material for such a minor result? I only know of him from British Political Satire but is he that stupid?

My guess is that someone independently leaked the cables under the assumption that it would damage the ambassador and help the Brexit/Johnson/Make Albion Great Again cause, and then after the leak Johnson just took the ball and ran with it.

• but it gets him nothing to get rid of the guy. It makes no sense.
  • O but it does get him something - Brownie points from Blump, surely?

It'll make things so much cosier when they get into bed together, and start playing with each other's wotsits.

(Sorry about that awful image. Yes, I know - it cannot now be un-seen).
  • Amanda B ReckondwythAmanda B Reckondwyth 8th Day Host, Mystery Worship Editor
    playing with each other's wotsits.
    Hair?
  • O come now, Miss Amanda! Please do not act the Sainted Aunt with me !
    :confounded:

You know very well that I am referring to bits that dangle.

O, wait...
    :flushed:
  • HugalHugal Shipmate
    Ear rings?
  • :lol:

Nice try...bits of their respective anatomies that dangle...
  • Stop, stop, stop!
    (covers eyes)
    Wait a minute. That's not helping.
    (bleaches brain)
    That stain will Not.Come.Out.
    You are on my list.
    O come now, Miss Amanda! Please do not act the Sainted Aunt with me !
    :confounded:

You know very well that I am referring to bits that dangle.

O, wait...
    :flushed:

Yes, but Miss Amanda is all out of smelling salts and her new order hasn't yet arrived from Ebay.
  • Bishops FingerBishops Finger Shipmate
    edited July 2019
    And on the Lists of one or two other Shipmates, I fear...but The Future, however Awful, must be Faced!

This is how the World now Is (or soon Will Be)! Great Orange Beasts, fighting, tearing, playing together, and perhaps even...BREEDING!!
    :fearful:

(Miss Amanda - do you, by God's grace, have your smelling-salts to hand? I feel a Swoon coming on...).
    They just arrived today. Good old Ebay. Come sit next to me, there's a dear boy, and I'll break open a sachet for us.
  • Just blur the icky bits in your mental pic--just as is done with British TV shows when broadcast in the US. ;)
  • I still think its hilarious that they blur Colbert's raised finger sometimes when the show is on after 11pm!
  • KarlLBKarlLB Shipmate
    I gather there's a petition to appoint Sadiq Khan to replace the ambassador.
  • I know he's only just been elected as an MEP, but Magic Majid would also fit the bill.
  • HugalHugal Shipmate
    Sadiq would ace the job and annoy the Orange baby at the same time. Win/Win
  • Given their names, how long would it be before T issues tweets suggesting they're terrorists? Drawing from other things he's said: "You know, I worry, yes, I worry they might be terrorists. Now, they may be upstanding, fine guys. They live in England, after all. But you never know. I heard some place, from some smart people (don't remember who), that it's likely that they're terrorists, and maybe the worst sort. Ok, maybe not the *worst*, but damn plenty dangerous. I worry about Elizabeth. She should command them to provide proof they're *not* terrorists, that should be easy enough to do. Just have them provide their baptismal certificates, check stubs for donations to their churches, the name of their third-grade Sunday School teacher. Of course, if they're not Christians,...Be careful, Elizabeth."
  • The scary thing is, of course, that that rings so true-to-life...
    :fearful:
  • KarlLB wrote: »
    I gather there's a petition to appoint Sadiq Khan to replace the ambassador.

I love that idea!
    :lol:
  • Bishops FingerBishops Finger Shipmate
    edited July 2019
    I rather hope it's an apocryphal tale, as Mr Khan is far too Good an Egg to be exiled to Trumperica Usland (sorry, cross-Pond Shipmates, but you know I'm right).

He would indeed annoy the Toddler-in-Chief, though.
    :grin:

Even more than he does already.
    :grin: :grin:

But (of course) he's probably the Bigliest Terrorororist in the World!
    Covfefe, quick! Hamberdlers! Eye Scream!
    :scream:
  • I hope Khan has a long political career ahead of him. Ambassadorships are usually for people who's political careers are over... hmmm.
  • Yes. Mr Khan deserves something better.

As does Ukland, but the chances of Mr K becoming PM are a bit remote...
    Yes. Mr Khan deserves something better.

If we get a Labour PM in the next ten years he has a pretty good chance.
  • Mrs May will be free soon, and getting out of the country might hold some appeal for her.
  • sionisais wrote: »
    Yes. Mr Khan deserves something better.

If we get a Labour PM in the next ten years he has a pretty good chance.

Rather a large if , I fear.
    Mrs May will be free soon, and getting out of the country might hold some appeal for her.

:lol:

• It would appear that experienced diplomats agree with everyone else. But whoever is leaking this stuff is doing the country no favours.

I am not sure I agree with the Daily Mail’s decision to print them, I am torn. At some level it may be useful for the wider public to understand what relying on the states rather than EU might mean - but trashing our diplomatic relationships is seriously problematic.

If the messages evidenced misconduct by our government that could not otherwise be exposed, I’d feel more comfortable about the justification for going to print.
  • very good post Doublethink. It's been a disaster for Britain. The next Ambassador needs to be an excellent golfer who is good at just throwing games.
    very good post Doublethink. It's been a disaster for Britain. The next Ambassador needs to be an excellent golfer who is good at just throwing games.

I have heard you have to be a lousy golfer to lose to Donald Trump. Those bone spurs play havoc with his stance.
  • ahh yes but it takes talent to throw a game without the target knowing.
  • KarlLBKarlLB Shipmate
    He's gone full tilt racist with his current vendetta
  • KarlLB wrote: »

And is blaming his victims. Of course.
    :rage:

Pigwidgeon wrote: »
    KarlLB wrote: »

But... isn’t that the whole point of racism? A non-causal correlation is essential!
  • I'm wondering if, in fact, Evil Insect Overlords have taken over the world (or are trying to), but haven't quite got the Humming-Bean-look correct (or convincing)...
  • Pigwidgeon wrote: »
    KarlLB wrote: »

He says shameful inappropriate things about others and then says they should apologize. Just when I think he can not get any worse he does.