BBCode practice thread

Comments

• finelinefineline Kerygmania Host
    Or another possibility is this one: https://www.stthomas.edu/logos/archives/
  • RublevRublev Shipmate
  • finelinefineline Kerygmania Host
    :smile:
  • Nick TamenNick Tamen Shipmate
    edited May 5
    I think the article Rublev was trying to link to (referred to in another thread) is this one: https://www.stthomas.edu/media/catholicstudies/center/logosjournal/archives/2003vol06/64/6-4Article.pdf

So, Rublev, is would be
    [url=https://www.stthomas.edu/media/catholicstudies/center/logosjournal/archives/2003vol06/64/6-4Article.pdf]here[/url].

Or you can just paste the link itself, and it will show as hypertext, like It did above.

• RublevRublev Shipmate
    edited May 5
    Thanks to everyone for their help. I think my urls are now acceptable in the sight of the Lord :innocent:
  • Wet KipperWet Kipper Shipmate
    RooK wrote: »
    You do realize that you are putting a space before your ™ mark, right? Otherwise it seems Fine™.

both of your examples show up as a new line when I look at it. Is nobody else seeing the same ?
  • Nope. But it took me several goes to get rid of a random enter/return on a post I made earlier, putting a line break in a strange place.
  • peasepease Tech Admin
    edited May 8
    Wet Kipper wrote: »
    RooK wrote: »
    You do realize that you are putting a space before your ™ mark, right? Otherwise it seems Fine™.

both of your examples show up as a new line when I look at it. Is nobody else seeing the same ?

Well ... it depends.

The system, in its infinite wisdom, has started converting some unicode characters to images (that's why ™ looks a bit fuzzy) - but not for everyone (I think). I suspect it's conditional on whether it thinks your browser can display (particular) unicode characters.

As for the newlines, there's a bug in the code it's inserting round the replacement image.
  • peasepease Tech Admin
    If you're seeing newlines and ™ in a different font, you're probably using an older browser/operating system.
  • Wet KipperWet Kipper Shipmate
    Thanks Pease

at w*rk it's Chrome v74 ("up to date") or IE11 on a windows 7 machine, and it shows a new line and it looks like an image
    on my phone it's Chrome on the newest Android OS and it is superscript text

thanks for the explanation
  • BabyWombatBabyWombat Shipmate
    Testing entering a URL. [/URL]https://diovermont.org
  • ZappaZappa Ecclesiantics Host
  • BroJamesBroJames Purgatory Host
    Meh!
    Meh
    Meh
  • caroline444caroline444 Shipmate
    edited June 11
    I would have liked to (embed) a photo hosted on flickr. Tried to copy and paste the BBCode, but it was rejected. Let me see if I can do it again, and see the reject message...

Ah, it says "IMG is not permitted"

Alternatively is it possible to upload pix from one's computer?
  • You can't upload pictures on this site. The option has been disabled. It occasionally returns on updates, but then gets disabled again.
    edited June 11
    @Curiosity killed

Thank you....
    edited June 14
    Practising (error) (heart) (innocent)
    :error :heart :innocent
    :(error) :(heart) :(innocent)

No.....I'm afraid I'm still stuck....
    @caroline444, if you type a : and follow it with the first two or three letters of the name of the emoji you should get a drop down list from which you can select. For me
    :error:

produces :error:,
    :heart:

produces :heart: and
    :innocent:

produces :innocent:.

It looks to me as though you are omitting the final :.
    edited June 14
    @BroJames

:error: :heart: :innocent:

Thank you so much!
  • TukaiTukai Shipmate
    checking how to flag a spoiler.
    Example: Australia 4 - Jamaica 1 in the women's football.

How's that?
  • BoogieBoogie Shipmate
    edited July 24
  • MiffyMiffy Shipmate
  • I'm sorry, but I can't find the method of linking to a posting in another thread. I want to give an example for my latest Hell post, but I keep messing it up.
  • If you right click on the time of the post you can copy the address for the specific post you want. Then paste it as your link as usual.
  • Ah right, *that's* where it is. Thank you
  • just trying this out before I introduce myself properly
  • :smile: it works!
    And again!

Try
    [URL]https://tinyurl.com/y4bgjqpk[/URL]

Which gives https://tinyurl.com/y4bgjqpk

Or
    [url=https://tinyurl.com/y4bgjqpk]text for your link[/url]

Which gives text for your link
    edited August 19
    More testing:

link is here

Oh hooray!!!!

Thank you BroJames!
  • Now.
  • ó Ł ż ź
  • How do you do candles these days?
    This text
    [b][sub] [[/sub]`[sub] ][/sub][/b]

will produce this
    [` ]

Or there is a Unicode emoji
    🕯️
    but I don’t know how it appears on different browsers/ devices.
  • Can someone help me with responding to quotes from shipmates? I can format the quote OK, but I would like to include the shipmate's name in red, as I see others do. How to do this??
    TYVM
    Use the ‘quote’ button at the foot of the relevant post. It does it automatically and creates a link to the quoted post. Here’s the code I get if I do that to yours
    [quote="Moyessa;c-192657"]Can someone help me with responding to quotes from shipmates?  I can format the quote OK, but I would like to include the shipmate's name in red, as I see others do.   How to do this??
    TYVM
    [/quote]

and here’s how it appears:
    Moyessa wrote: »
    Can someone help me with responding to quotes from shipmates? I can format the quote OK, but I would like to include the shipmate's name in red, as I see others do. How to do this??
    TYVM

• Thank you - will there be a problem when I extract just the part of the post/quote that I want to respond to?
    No, it should be fine so long as you don’t delete the square brackets of the quote tags. I sometimes insert an ellipsis or ‘<snip>’ to show that something has been removed.
  • BroJames wrote: »
    This text
    [b][sub] [[/sub]`[sub] ][/sub][/b]

will produce this
    [` ]

Or there is a Unicode emoji
    🕯️
    but I don’t know how it appears on different browsers/ devices.

The second is what I would like to be able to do, if it isn't too difficult. Sadly the words "Unicode emoji" don't get me any further.
  • If you simply copy and paste that image—🕯️—into your post, it will show up as a votive candle in at least some browsers. My experience is that on Apple devices, it shows up as a thicker and taller candle on a flatish candle stick.
  • 🕯️

That seems to have worked! But can I do it if there isn't an existing candle nearby?
  • My experience is that if you're doing it in the Prayers of the Faithful thread, there likely will be one relatively nearby.