Please see Styx thread on the Registered Shipmates consultation for the main discussion forums - your views are important, continues until April 4th.

Timeless Test Continued

Comments

• Although they seem to have lost a word there!
  • SipechSipech Shipmate
    I think we can kiss the Ashes goodbye now. The ECB have so focused on the short form game that there's been next to no effort put into the Test Match format. Supposedly the best batsmen the country has to offer are just lacking basic technique. A sorry state of affairs.
  • Nooooo I call bodyline! It's Adelaide in '33 all over again!
  • Fair dinkum, if Smith was a chook he'd be dead after that blow from Archer.
  • TukaiTukai Shipmate
    And once again it's finely balanced going into the final day, even if Smith was out for "only" 92.

Here in Australia, the Ashes are on free-to-air TV, but I only watch the first session of each day, after which it's bedtime for me. Still saw enough to reckon that Archer does not look out of place in a Test match.
  • SipechSipech Shipmate
    So the Aussies had a lucky escape then. Think it shows they are very much a one-man team at the moment.

For the next Test, let's assume Jimmy Anderson enough to play. Does he get back in the team? If so, who gets dropped to make room?

It would be a brave selector to take out Jofra Archer after he instilled Fear into the Aussie batsmen. Broad, one of the world's most experienced and consistent bowlers, can't be dropped and it would seem harsh to drop Woakes, given his performances thus far. So would you countenance dropping a frontline spinner at Headingley for an all pace/swing attack, or drop one of the failing batsmen on the basis that they don't contribute much anyway?

Given we are behind in the series, I'd be tempted to gamble on dropping a batsmen. One of: Roy, Denly, Buttler. If Smith can't bat and if England field a strong bowling attack, I doubt this Australian team could muster up 300 on a flat batting track.
  • It would be very surprising if a fit Anderson was not picked. If you look at his figures, he just keeps getting better. Broad is on form, Archer is undroppable and and an all-Pace attack would be foolish.

Thus I would predict Woakes will be dropped. Of course, what they should do, is drop a batsman.

AFZ
  • Oh I don't know if Australia is a one man team. I think we are rotating fast bowlers at the moment, and we seem to do OK in the field.

I'd like to see Smith rested after that knock, and give some of the young blokes a chance to show their mettle. Its only been our top order that has failed consistently.

I'd like to see Archer bat. I don't follow the one day shit.
  • Justin Langer on the Smith injury: It's a no-brainer.
  • 54-6. :disappointed:

On the positive side, England managed to get to lunch without being bowled out.
  • Yes, but it should have been by lunch tomorrow.
  • <Hedgehog checks the rule book. No. No. Australia CAN'T enforce the follow-on when it only has 179...>
  • Yet another batting collapse. And whose bright idea was it to put Root in at number 3?
  • 67? 6-fucking-7?
    I wish I could rejoice at this. The sandpaper incident broke my heart.
    A decent match might have been nice, though. At least all the wickets has been exciting in its own way.
  • Hedgehog wrote: »
    <Hedgehog checks the rule book. No. No. Australia CAN'T enforce the follow-on when it only has 179...>
    Although in a four-day match the follow-on is only 150 runs.

And England survive 4 overs to lunch.

It's the hope that kills.
  • Justin Langer on Marcus Labuschange: I don't think he minds being hit in the head. I think he might enjoy it.

• England is very much in this game you know.
  • It's the hope that kills!

156 for 3 at stumps.

But it can all go belly-up very quickly tomorrow morning.
  • :smiley:

I watched the middle part of the day, most of the second session and some of the third. I thought Root was very good indeed - a captain's innings. The commentators suggested there wasn't as much movement there for the quicks, and that was reflected in the Australian strategy.

It ain't over till its over.
  • at 4/235 I am not in control of my bowel.
  • 5/245. I've taken a panadol for my stress headache.
  • Oz on top at the mo!
  • Told you! 6 down now.
  • rhubarbrhubarb Shipmate
    Time for toast and Vegemite here.
  • 9/310 - Stokes is on fire 49 to get for England one wicket for Australia. Wife standing by with the defibrillator.
  • PigletPiglet All Saints Host, Circus Host
    Exciting match, is it? :mrgreen:
  • My wife does not believe that the words "exciting" and "cricket" can be used in the same paragraph.

She is Scottish.
  • Simon ToadSimon Toad Shipmate
    edited August 2019
    Make no mistake, if England win this game it will be huge, not only for the record win but for the whole series. If they don't make it, they have done enough. Sure the series is lost, but it is lost with honour.
  • Not yet ... but Leach is now on strike.
  • Simon ToadSimon Toad Shipmate
    edited August 2019
    What a game. England bowled like demons in the first innings and batted with guts and determination in the second - not just Stokes but Root as well. Ashes cricket at its very best.
  • Amazing. I never thought that was on the cards. But that's cricket, isn't it?
  • To quote Son No 1 Well! Bu**er me (to which, of course, the answer is always no, thank you. :grin:

Amazing!
  • Cor. That was exciting. I feel like Victor Meldrew.

I hope the win won't paper over the cracks of 4 scores under 100 in the last 18 months.
  • What is stunning is that, in this match, England's first innings were one of the worst innings in English test history. And then they follow it with one of the best innings in English Test history.

It occurs to me that, when people complain that cricket doesn't make sense, they aren't always talking about the rules...
  • 67? 6-fucking-7?
    A decent match might have been nice, though. At least all the wickets has been exciting in its own way.

I think you got your wish...

AFZ
  • Ben Stokes amazing innings only goes some way towards disguising the weakness of England’s top order, which isn’t relatively weak but demonstrably weak. Roy isn’t an opener in first-class cricket, Denly is no more than a bits and pieces player who isn’t filling the Jonathan Trott role and only Burns looks serviceable. Added to that Buttler and Bairstow are out of form and Woakes & Broad can’t handle short-pitched bowling leaving us with two proper batsmen and a number eleven!

As things stand, if Jimmy Anderson is fit he may as well come in for an out of form batsman as a bowler.
  • GalilitGalilit Shipmate
    Dear Dead Dad is communicating to me and my brother from the Ethereal Regions Beyond the Boundary: "Now, children, you can take that game as a lesson for Life."

• Not yet ... but Leach is now on strike.

There’s an important difference between Jack Leach and just about everyone else in the team, who all have some claim to being regarded as a batsman (despite a stack of evidence to the contrary).

Leach had been instructed to ignore everything (leave or duck) that was not going to hit the stumps. In that case he got forward and blocked down the line. He did not play for the turn or play the spinning ball later off the pitch. He followed those instructions until he had faced about twenty balls which is pretty much what he did against Ireland and coincidentally, what Stokes did too. Everyone will remember remember the Grande Finale, but Stokes has the sensible habit of not feeling the need to “get going”. He understands better than any batsman since Boycott that you’re a long time out.

• 67? 6-fucking-7?

I think you got your wish...

AFZ

Sure did. Good to fall in love with Test cricket again. And forget about all the nonsense.
    Brilliant innings by Stokes. Sublime.
    My wife does not believe that the words "exciting" and "cricket" can be used in the same paragraph.

She is Scottish.

I can identify with all of that!

Still, well done England - being married to an Englishman I'm happy to celebrate as long as you don't win against Scotland ... :naughty:
  • Well, my sleep patterns are officially stuffed.
  • I just bagged Khawaja to my wife as we were watching a news item on the 4th test. I had to stop, because of all the people who have played competitive cricket as an adult, I reckon there is a fair chance that I am in the bottom 100.
  • My apologies for the #Brexit cross-over in what should definitely be a safe space but I had to share this.
    My apologies for the blatant showing off too but I was quite proud of this and figured more people would understand it than on the Brexit thread...

The legend that is Michael Vaughan asked on Twitter for people to explain the current political situation in cricket terms:

This is my humble effort:

#Boris is trying to bowl Bodyline with an attack made up of second rate spinners.
    #Corbyn is playing a forward defensive stroke to every ball.
    #Swinson is standing at the non-strikers' end saying she can hit a 6 every ball but when on strike only takes a single.

and #Farage never made the squad but keeps being invited on Sky to explain why he's better than everyone else...

AFZ
    Love it, AFZ, and I don't even understand cricket! :mrgreen:

<notworthy>
  • Baptist TrainfanBaptist Trainfan Shipmate
    edited September 2019
    Presumably the Scots don't play cricket and the Welsh are assumed to play rugby (actually I watched Glamorgan beat Hampshire by 28 runs last Friday). The Ulster folk aren't playing at all as they've been locked out of the pavilion till they learn to behave.

PS So who, in this current impasse, might we accuse of ball-tampering or sledging? (Answers on a postcard, please).
  • Excellent work AFZ. May I add that #Boris is whingeing about the umpiring, but he is out of reviews.
  • sionisais wrote: »
    Excellent work AFZ. May I add that #Boris is whingeing about the umpiring, but he is out of reviews.

Thank you. And Yes, I completely agree with your addition. :smiley:

To be fair to Mr Corbyn, I think it's accurate to say that for yesterday at least, his innings had a Stokes-esque quality to it - just for that short time frame.
  • At last, Craig Overton gets to bowl. He is England's fifth bowler of the day and Leach already has it bouncing and turning, which is less surprising at Old Trafford than anywhre else. Maybe Root will get to bowl at left handers today.
  • My wife is demanding I go to bed at lunch for the whole test. She's right though. I'm a mess.