Please see Styx thread on the Registered Shipmates consultation for the main discussion forums - your views are important, continues until April 4th.

Purgatory: Oops - your Trump presidency discussion thread.

Comments

• The Dumpster is just itching to get into the war game! O boy. Cruise missile tests. Tanks on parade. Military shenanigans. Troops on border defense. Longing to drop bombs on Iran.
    I live quite close to a factory that makes tanks. They have one customer. The USA. The employee parking lot is full to capacity. If this place would shut down or cut back, it would seriously hurt the local economy. Lots of people out of work.
    Please God- please thinking Americans, don't let this maniac drag us into a war. The Orange Beast surely thinks (sic) a Holy War would assure him billions of votes in the coming election.
  • As I've said before, I don't think Trump is actually hoping for a war. He was hoping he could force Iran to renegotiate. That was a severe miscalculation and in the current situation a war could easily erupt with a false move or even a misperception from either side. But anyone who looks at Iran and who isn't bonkers knows the war would be an unmitigated nightmare for everyone involved. The difference being that Iran is prepared to endure the horror whereas we are not. I think even Trump knows that.
  • Yep. Trump balked when he had a perfectly good excuse to bomb the shit out of Iran. He wanted to bully the Iranians into renegotiation and they have repeatedly told him to stick it.

I read an article a few months ago that said that Trump's idiotic announcement that the USA was withdrawing from the de facto agreement and the re-imposition of sanctions has resulted in a shift in Iranian politics in favor of the anti-American faction in the Government. Trump cut the ground out from the pro-engagement faction when he fulfilled the warnings given to the supreme dude by the (from our perspective) extremists.

I reckon that analysis makes sense in a broad brush way. Thank God for the Europeans. Even if the US changes stance now, it is no longer in the consensus leadership position it was under Obama. If I was the Iranians, I wouldn't talk to the yanks. I would walk out if they tried to lead negotiations and I would make them negotiate through Europe.
  • Lot of stuff happening with the poor man. He gets into a tiff with his former friend Scaramouchi because the Mooch is trying to start a Republican movement to oust 45. He wants to buy Greenland (actually take over Denmark's $600 mil subsidy of the island. He snubs the Queen of Denmark because it was something her PM said. He gets into a row with Jews for either being terribly uninformed or disloyal for voting Democrat. He now comes out claiming he is the second coming of Christ and the greatest king Israel has ever had. Did I mention he has called the Danish PM a nasty woman?

Poor man. Whatever marbles he had at the beginning of his term appear to be lost now.
  • Golden KeyGolden Key Shipmate, Glory
    Did he really claim the Second Coming, etc.???
    Thx. Was trying to post this, but missed window:

"ETA: I just searched on "Trump Second Coming". Quickly skimmed the hits. Looks like someone else said something, and T retweeted it.

Will this be enough to get his followers--especially fund/evo--to finally see?"
    Whoops. If that post shows an insult in place of T's name, I apologize. I use a "Trump blocker". It can be hard to tell when an insult actually shows up in a post.
  • CrœsosCrœsos Shipmate
    Gramps49 wrote: »
    He gets into a row with Jews for either being terribly uninformed or disloyal for voting Democrat. He now comes out claiming he is the second coming of Christ and the greatest king Israel has ever had.

"I'm like the Second Coming but those Jews refuse to bow down to me" combines a huge amount of theological confusion with two scoops of very dark history.
  • Golden Key wrote: »
    Whoops. If that post shows an insult in place of T's name, I apologize. I use a "Trump blocker". It can be hard to tell when an insult actually shows up in a post.

🤩🤣🤣🥰🤣🇨🇮

Post of the day!
    LOL. So I take it the insult did go through?
    Hmmmm...I wonder if there's anything in the Bible that could possibly be construed, twisted, painted over to suggest that the Anti-Christ will try to take over Greenland? Or "a place in the far north"? Etc.

People would have to rethink and rewrite all their end-times explanations.
    ROTFL

(I grew up fundamentalist, with all the end-times stuff--and I still have much of it in my muli-purpose "don't know" stack. So I can say this. ;) )
    Hmmmm again. A Duck Duck Go search on "Bible prophecy Greenland" shows a whole bunch of climate and seismological events have people linking them with Biblical prophecy.
  • Okay I thought the Greenland thing was a joke. The guy actually meant it. Response of the Danish PM "Mette Frederiksen reacts to Pres. Trump's idea of buying the semi-autonomous Danish territory of Greenland: "Thankfully, the time where you buy and sell other countries and populations is over,"

Then he's all upset and cancels a meeting with her. This is more than embarrassing for Americans. But I suppose you're used to that by now.

I'm remembering the phrase Ugly American from the 1960s (I think) book title today. So bad.
  • And multiple talking heads are into it, supportive of. https://twitter.com/mmfa/status/1164241594419204096?s=20

So utterly Heathers: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e-utTyBdkC0
    Just change "me" to "him". Yes it contains one of the bad swear words but it isn't bad enough.
  • PigletPiglet All Saints Host, Circus Host
    Okay I thought the Greenland thing was a joke ...
    Same here, NP. I had to do a double-take to check that what I was reading wasn't from News Thump or the Onion.
    Golden Key wrote: »
    I wonder if there's anything in the Bible that could possibly be construed, twisted, painted over to suggest that the Anti-Christ will try to take over Greenland? Or "a place in the far north"?
    I bet there's something in Nostradamus, if you look hard enough and a bit sideways. :mrgreen:

Piglet--

Cagey old (?) coot didn't want to get burned at the stake.

One head of the Federal Reserve was known for undecipherable remarks. After he left office, he admitted he did it on purpose, because people might make too much of anything he said.
  • Gramps49Gramps49 Shipmate
    edited August 2019
    When 45 was pontificating (pun intended) about no one would take on China but him--he was the chosen one--he looks to the sky god Ostensibly it appears he was "only joking" but he really believes it Go to the video

Fixed broken link. BroJames Purgatory Host
  • Gramps49 wrote: »
    When 45 was pontificating (pun intended) about no one would take on China but him--he was the chosen one--he looks to the sky god Ostensibly it appears he was "only joking" but he really believes it Go to the video
    Malformed link. This one works https://www-m.cnn.com/2019/08/21/politics/donald-trump-chosen-one/index.html

Chosen as the desolate one I think. The link says he looked up. Wrong direction. Or perhaps he needed a mirror.
  • ECraigR wrote: »
    Wow. I guess I shouldn’t be surprised that Fox would support the ridiculousness. They’d support anything he says. But still, insane.

I thought Fox tells Mr Trump what to say.
  • EnochEnoch Shipmate
    Okay I thought the Greenland thing was a joke. The guy actually meant it. Response of the Danish PM "Mette Frederiksen reacts to Pres. Trump's idea of buying the semi-autonomous Danish territory of Greenland: "Thankfully, the time where you buy and sell other countries and populations is over,"

Then he's all upset and cancels a meeting with her. This is more than embarrassing for Americans. But I suppose you're used to that by now.

I'm remembering the phrase Ugly American from the 1960s (I think) book title today. So bad.
    Perhaps the Danes don't view it this way, but if I were Danish, I think the two insults to my country would be a price worth paying to be let off having him visit.
  • There was an interview this morning with a Danish MP. He was very careful to say that under normal circumstances the sudden cancellation of the state visit on the basis of the word absurd would be considered a diplomatic affront, but Danes view 45 as a anomaly and he hopes our friendship can be restored very quickly.

One of the reasons why Trump took a sudden interest in Greenland is that they are in discussions with China for investments in Greenland's infrastructure. The Chinese also have a mining interest in Greenland; and there is some indication the Chinese want to build an airport in Greenland.

Liinks follow:

Infrastructure: https://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2019/aug/21/buying-greenland-trump-haters-mock-the-idea-but-ch/

Chinese Airport: https://www.defensenews.com/global/europe/2018/09/07/how-a-potential-chinese-built-airport-in-greenland-could-be-risky-for-a-vital-us-air-force-base/

Chinese Mining Interest: https://thediplomat.com/2019/02/china-steps-up-its-mining-interests-in-greenland/
  • Who's preferable the Chinese or Americans? The fact that this is a serious question is how far the USA has slipped.
  • Yeah, Donald Trump invented American imperialism.
  • Yeah, Donald Trump invented American imperialism.
    The funny thing is, if you asked him, he would agree with that. After all, he is the Chosen One, the Second Coming of God.

• Who's preferable the Chinese or Americans? The fact that this is a serious question is how far the USA has slipped.

It isn't a serious question, NP.

It didn't get through GK. I used my imagination :smiley:

Question: when was the last time the Chinese were at with anyone? Last I can find is the Sino-Vietnamese (undeclared) War. Last flare-up was in 1980.

Question: When was the last time the United States was at peace?
    Simon Toad--
    Simon Toad wrote: »

Whew! ;) BTW, I use Detrumpify, one of many T blockers out there. And it's free.
    Who's preferable the Chinese or Americans? The fact that this is a serious question is how far the USA has slipped.

Question: when was the last time the Chinese were at with anyone? Last I can find is the Sino-Vietnamese (undeclared) War. Last flare-up was in 1980.

Here's a list. I reckon your're pretty right Gramps.
  • BoogieBoogie Heaven Host
    Simon Toad--
    Simon Toad wrote: »

Whew! ;) BTW, I use Detrumpify, one of many T blockers out there. And it's free.

Shame it doesn’t work on his twitter feed!

🙄

LOL. Well, you could set it to block his name there, and his picture, and other related people.

But if you don't want to see the content of his tweets, you'll just have to skip reading them. ;)
    LOL. Well, you could set it to block his name there, and his picture, and other related people.

But if you don't want to see the content of his tweets, you'll just have to skip reading them. ;)

I don’t read them - that doesn’t stop them popping up and being discussed everywhere.

But I was talking about blocking them at source.

Who's preferable the Chinese or Americans? The fact that this is a serious question is how far the USA has slipped.

There were some skirmishes between China and Vietnam up to 1990 I believe. That war was particularly shameful on China’s part, IMO. A key purpose was to expose the Soviet Union’s impotence and show that the PRC was the big kid on the block.

BTW, I use Detrumpify, one of many T blockers out there. And it's free.

Will it work on the White House? If so, I wouldn't care if it were free -- I'd happily pay!

• I saw a National Review article basically saying that liberals were stupid to take Trump's "jokes" seriously, such as his joke concerning the Medal of Honour. I looked at the comments expecting to see a wall of conservative braying. While that was there, there were also quite a few comments, broadly unchallenged, criticising the publication and the author for excusing and enabling Trump's behavior.

While some of these comments will be from people like me, taking a squiz at the other side, and I also heard today that Trump's support in running at something like 90% among Republicans, I am prepared to take it as an indication that not all conservative readers of the National Review have lost themselves to the madness.
  • Simon Toad wrote: »
    I saw a National Review article basically saying that liberals were stupid to take Trump's "jokes" seriously, such as his joke concerning the Medal of Honour. I looked at the comments expecting to see a wall of conservative braying. While that was there, there were also quite a few comments, broadly unchallenged, criticising the publication and the author for excusing and enabling Trump's behavior.

While some of these comments will be from people like me, taking a squiz at the other side, and I also heard today that Trump's support in running at something like 90% among Republicans, I am prepared to take it as an indication that not all conservative readers of the National Review have lost themselves to the madness.

When you consider that the Republican party makes up around 30% of the population, 90% would be 27% which was about the total percentage of the total potential voters who voted for 45 in the first place.

I know of several conservative Lutherans who are saying his last claim of being the chosen one and the King of Israel crossed the line. Might not be enough to change most conservatives, but cracks are appearing.

I am really afraid by this time next year we may see 45 in a straight-jacket--for real.

• Sorry for the double post

SimonToad

Do you mean, this article? https://www.nationalreview.com/2019/08/trump-jokes-freaking-out-great-way-to-make-sure-he-wins-in-2020/

Piece of advice, when you refer a known article it is advisable to post a link to it so others can review it.

My problem is with the article is considering Trump's mania he is not joking. He really wishes he could have a Medal of Honor. I think there was a time during the campaign when a veteran did give him a medal the veteran earned.
  • LadyleftfieldloverLadyleftfieldlover Shipmate Posts: 17
    I am really afraid by this time next year we may see 45 in a straight-jacket--for real.

mmmmm - I would not be afraid if this was the case, I would be drinking champagne. However, it would be better if he was in that straight-jacket rather sooner before he causes any more damage to the world and his country!
  • It absolutely is blasphemy of the highest order to claim you are the second coming of Jesus Christ. He reckons, again, that he was being sarcastic. He would have been better off claiming it as a metaphor. Sarcasm makes him the son of the Devil, but only if you are a dualist a suppose.

Sorry Gramps. I was referring to the comments. But it would have been better to post the article. On the phone, the dropdown menu for links doesn't appear.
  • CrœsosCrœsos Shipmate
    Gramps49 wrote: »
    When you consider that the Republican party makes up around 30% of the population, 90% would be 27% which was about the total percentage of the total potential voters who voted for 45 in the first place.

27%. Why does that number sound familiar?
    John: Hey, Bush is now at 37% approval. I feel much less like Kevin McCarthy screaming in traffic. But I wonder what his base is --

Tyrone: 27%.

John: . . . you said that immediately, and with some authority.

Tyrone: Obama vs. Alan Keyes. Keyes was from out of state, so you can eliminate any established political base; both candidates were black, so you can factor out racism; and Keyes was plainly, obviously, completely crazy. Batshit crazy. Head-trauma crazy. But 27% of the population of Illinois voted for him. They put party identification, personal prejudice, whatever ahead of rational judgement. Hell, even like 5% of Democrats voted for him. That's crazy behaviour. I think you have to assume a 27% Crazification Factor in any population.

Bear in mind that this was first posted in 2005 when Barack Obama was the newly elected junior senator from Illinois.
  • PigletPiglet All Saints Host, Circus Host
    Isn't "but I was only joking" the usual defence of a bully when he's been caught out?
    Piglet wrote: »
    Isn't "but I was only joking" the usual defence of a bully when he's been caught out?

Exactly.
  • It looks like we no longer have a Federal Election Commission. One of the GOP members resigned and that reduces it to below quorum. It cannot meet. Replacing him would require that Moscow Mitch allow a vote on it. Why should he, when not having a FEC works to the benefit of the GOP? I fear that 40 years from now we will look at this as the moment when Herr Reichsführer Trump's dictatorship was guaranteed.
  • don't say that Mousethief. I've spent too much emotional energy elsewhere to be able to cope with that.
  • CrœsosCrœsos Shipmate
    mousethief wrote: »
    It looks like we no longer have a Federal Election Commission. One of the GOP members resigned and that reduces it to below quorum. It cannot meet.

Now you're just being alarmist. That resignation doesn't become effective until the 31st. I'm sure the Senate will come around on this issue in the next . . . [ checks calendar ] . . . three days.
    mousethief wrote: »
    Replacing him would require that Moscow Mitch allow a vote on it.

BTW, Moscow Mitch really hates being called "Moscow Mitch", so perhaps we should have a discussion about whether calling Moscow Mitch "Moscow Mitch" is okay or if referring to Moscow Mitch as "Moscow Mitch" is going too far in criticizing Moscow Mitch.
  • Interesting infogram showing 45 is now losing in most key battleground states. Probably a number of reasons behind it.

Mitch is facing a very strong challenge from the left. Amy McCrath, the Democratic challenger just released a blistering political ad/ claiming Mitch has forgotten the coal miners. Moreover, some of Mitch's largest campaign contributors have been pharma. There are no over 50 law suits against pharma for the opioid crisis. Purdue pharma, in particular is now proposing to go into public receivership. Money drying up, + base being ignored = ?. I hope he will be history this go around.
  • I think the "Moscow Mitch" schtick is a very silly bit of neo-McCarthyist theater that isn't going look good in retrospect. There are many loathsome things about the man that don't require that kind of nonsense to point out.

As a Lovecraft fan I can't help but notice that he has the Innsmouth Look.
  • stetsonstetson Shipmate
    I think the "Moscow Mitch" schtick is a very silly bit of neo-McCarthyist theater that isn't going look good in retrospect. There are many loathsome things about the man that don't require that kind of nonsense to point out.

If it's meant to imply that the Republican Party is currently being run out of the Kremlin, I agree, there's not much evidence to support that, even just looking at Trump's foreign policy, which has hardly been one big gift-basket to Russia.

That said, Putin HAS gone on record as saying he wanted Trump to win, so it's not like the connection is being fabricated out of whole cloth. There still doesn't seem to be much hard evidence that Trump actively sought out official Russian assistance, however.