Trumpton - the rant thread

Comments

• Soror Magna--
    As one commenter explained, "You're either with John Wayne or Jane Fonda." (Although the divisions go much further back. )

Was this recently, or back in the day?

Thx.

• Recently.
  • John Wayne was arguably a draft dodger, not serving in the Second World War. The studio pulled strings for him to avoid service, though it's not entirely clear whether Wayne himself was aware of this or just didn't ask too many questions. Director John Ford would mercilessly taunt Wayne about this after the war, mostly because Ford had spent the war making films for the navy and had wanted Wayne in his unit.
  • An argument might be made that having John Wayne in the military could be disruptive, and endanger the troops with him. They'd probably either haze or idolize him during training. If they were on the front lines together and the other side figured out who he was, they might especially target him--which would endanger the other troops.

And, based on what you said, Ford was a jerk.
  • Golden Key wrote: »
    An argument might be made that having John Wayne in the military could be disruptive, and endanger the troops with him. They'd probably either haze or idolize him during training. If they were on the front lines together and the other side figured out who he was, they might especially target him--which would endanger the other troops.

Before the war Wayne wasn’t that famous. He was more of a C-lister and not much of a target. Kind of like Ronald Reagan, who spent the war as a captain making propaganda and training films for the Signal Corps. Wayne could easily have done likewise, or joined Ford’s unit with the Navy and served the war Stateside. It’s arguable that Wayne’s stardom can be traced to dodging service when a lot of Hollywood’s more popular leading men left to join the military.

The U.S. military seemed to do a decent job integrating Hollywood stars into active duty when put to the test. Clark Gable, who was a bigger star than Wayne at the war’s outset, was part of a bomber crew that flew combat missions over Germany. I think he was a tail gunner, but I’m not sure.
    Golden Key wrote: »
    And, based on what you said, Ford was a jerk.

Yes, he was. And yet Wayne was willing to make twelve films with him in the postwar years.

In news of the other half of the John Wayne/Jane Fonda dichotomy, apparently Ms. Fonda was arrested at a climate protest on Friday.
  • Yes, I think Jane has done 3 of them, now, inspired by Greta T.

BTW: As far as Jane's behavior in Vietnam during the war, she's apologized to veterans, IIRC, and tried to make up for it.
  • BoogieBoogie Shipmate
    “The White House press secretary, Stephanie Grisham, confirmed Trump’s response: “I worked with John Kelly, and he was totally unequipped to handle the genius of our great President.”

Where does such delusion come from?

🥺🤔😫😵🙄
  • O, I dunno - the 'genius of our great President' is of such an ineffably peculiar nature, that no-one is capable of handling it...
    :flushed:
  • DoublethinkDoublethink Shipmate
    edited October 2019
    Trump has announced US forces have killed Abu Bakr al-Baghdadi - do we believe him ?

Claim is Russia opened their controlled airspace, Kurds provided the location, special forces raided somewhere in Idlib and:
    • He was chased by US military dogs (why would you take dogs on a mission like this ?)
    • Into a deadended tunnel
    • Whilst wearing a suicide vest (unclear why or when he put it on)
    • He detonated the vest.
    • Killing himself, his three children who were with him at the time (why would he have his three children with him ?)
    • Collapsing the tunnel on himself
    • His death was confirmed by a DNA test
    • Special forces were in the area for two hours
    • (During which time they presumably had to dig out a collapsed tunnel)

No US troops were hurt, one dog was injured, Trump’s situation room photo is a staged pic but that in itself is not surprising.
    edited October 2019
    My scepticism here is partly owing to Trumps’s ridiculous lie rate along with the rather bizarre ‘facts’, but also articles like this, mean I don’t always believe the government’s statements about who they have killed.
  • When Russia claimed to kill Baghdadi a while back he eventually released a recording to prove he was alive. If he survived this time we’ll probably know eventually.

Journalists should really be asking about why he would choose Idlib as a safe place to regroup. But they probably won’t ask that as it would expose years of journalistic malpractice.
  • It's a little point that pisses me off, but that's Trump mocking the man for dying "a coward." You don't mock anyone dying, regardless of how they do it. I have this very unhelpful urge to suggest Trump ... no, I'm going to shut up now.
  • RossweisseRossweisse Shipmate, 8th Day Host, Hell Host
    Trump lacks all decency, in every aspect of his life. I wish he'd get bored with being President and stand down, even if that did mean we'd be getting President Pence.
  • It's a little point that pisses me off, but that's Trump mocking the man for dying "a coward." You don't mock anyone dying, regardless of how they do it. I have this very unhelpful urge to suggest Trump ... no, I'm going to shut up now.

It couldn’t have happened to a nicer mass murdering rapist psychopath. There are many things to hate about Trump but I not going to shed a tear for this asshole. If it’s true that he had his kids with him, though, that is indeed tragic.

• OhherOhher Shipmate
    I'm afraid my cynicism has got the best of me today. I am suspicious about both the timing and actual purpose of this event (cobbled together to distract from impeachment?) and the nature of US contributions to it (exaggerated to bolster the Trumpian image?). I regret I'm unlikely to live long enough (50 years or so) to read about who *really* masterminded this operation, what country or countries *really* pulled it together, and how it *really* went down.
    @Ohher, I had the same thoughts about the timing.
  • Timing is one of the reasons I doubt the veracity.
  • Yep. It wouldn't surprise me to find out it was all a distraction, or lied about.

As for the moral quality of the guy who died, I don't care if it's Judas Iscariot. You just don't mock someone that way. At least until you yourself have died better.
  • When I read about this earlier today, my initial reaction was to wait for proof. It says something about our present administration that when a statement like this is made I automatically wonder if the POTUS is lying.
  • According to NYT, intelligence officials are claiming the raid happened largely despite, not because of Trump.

One thing I have to say I enjoy about this administration is watching the various branches of the American scumbag elite pissing on each other in public.
  • OhherOhher Shipmate
    It's hard to say which activity is more prevalent in this administration: the grifting or the lying. It now appears that Seizure Obstructis informed the Russians about this operation before informing Congressional Democrats. If this con artist gets re-elected, I wonder if I'll have cause to regret my family's move, back in my 9th-grade year, out of the school district that offered courses in Russian. I was only far enough along to have mastered the Cyrillic alphabet and a little basic vocab (Spasibo! Sdrastvotye!) when we moved to a district that only offered French, Spanish, and German.
  • Yeah we’ll all be speaking Russian in a couple of years. The Statue of Liberty will be holding a hammer and sickle. Burger King will become Burger Czar. Our only hope is for the high school football team to head to the hills and form a guerilla army. Wolverines!
    edited October 2019
    The Russians are now stating it didn’t happen and the president’s announcement is propaganda.

Whose more likely to be telling the truth, Putin or Trump ? I genuinely don’t know.

From CNN.
  • If it didn’t happen we can probably expect an audio or video recording from Al-Baghdadi after a while. It took about 2 months after the Russians claimed to have hit him in an air strike for a recording to surface.

My guess is that, with so many people claiming to have a hand in his killing, and with the detailed narrative on offer, they wouldn’t risk the huge embarrassment without some kind of verification. So he’s probably dead. Of course no one is impervious to doing/saying stupid shit. Maybe Baghdadi will show up in a video giving Trump’s press conference the MST3K treatment.
  • My initial and continuing response is severe doubt.

And if the man *did* detonate a suicide vest, then I doubt the US gov't can legitimately take credit for it. I wonder if the military, accidentally or on purpose, blew up the tunnel--then found out that kids were killed, and they and/or T decided to cover it up.

I also noticed that many of the bad things T said about the man apply to *him*, too.
  • Wow Doublethink... I didn't see any real reason to doubt Trump's account. Now I do.
    No, @SirPalomides, our children will be speaking Chinese, and not Cantonese but Mandarin. I don't think that Russia has the staying power than China has.
  • Simon Toad wrote: »
    Wow Doublethink... I didn't see any real reason to doubt Trump's account. Now I do.

I immediately had my doubts when I heard about it -- precisely because Trump said it.
  • Rossweisse wrote: »
    No, @SirPalomides, our children will be speaking Chinese, and not Cantonese but Mandarin. I don't think that Russia has the staying power than China has.

Muahahahaha!

Or should I say, 哈哈哈哈哈!
  • Gloating over a fallen enemy is not a pretty sight, especially given the deaths of the children.
  • Eirenist wrote: »
    Gloating over a fallen enemy is not a pretty sight, especially given the deaths of the children.

With Trump it was always going to be regarded as primarily a PR opportunity, and that means "tough guy" rhetoric.

On a purely speculative note, but proceeding out from the PR observation, I'm guessing the planning for the al-Baghdadi raid was finalized around Thursday (24 October). That was the date that Trump announced he'd be attending Game 5 of the World Series (27 October, a.k.a. one day after the al-Baghdadi raid took place). Trump has avoided making public appearances in Washington, DC. The only exceptions are either government facilities or properties that he owns or leases. That makes it easier to control the audiences. Yet Trump decided to break from this pattern and show his face at Nationals Park. If he just wanted to put in an appearance at the World Series, why wait until Game 5, given that there was no guarantee the series would go five games? Consistent with this theory that the appearance was an attempt to capitalize on a military victory Trump's face gets put up on the Jumbotron in the middle of a "Salute to the Troops". The Jumbotron sequence went something like this:
    • Video of waving sailors: Intense cheering
    • Video of Trump and company in stands: Loud booing, chants of "Lock Him Up" and "Impeach Trump"
    • Video of waving Marines in the stands: Intense cheering

My guess is that Trump broke with his pattern of avoiding public appearances in DC because he thought that giving the order to kill al-Baghdadi would win him the adulation of the crowd, one of the few things he truly craves. There is a video which allegedly shows Trump's facial expression at the exact moment he realizes the whole stadium is booing him. As with many such things, Melania's reaction is of equal interest.
  • Simon Toad wrote: »
    Wow Doublethink... I didn't see any real reason to doubt Trump's account. Now I do.

OK, now I believe the man is dead.
  • CrœsosCrœsos Shipmate
    edited November 2019
    Donald Trump will be attending the University of Alabama vs. Louisiana State University football game on Saturday. I guess he's just going to keep going to sporting events until he finds one where he doesn't get booed. Everyone needs a hobby I suppose, and it's probably a better use of his time than just about anything else he could be doing with it.
  • Got to thinking about this film "Two Minute Warning". No doubt Mr. Twitterfart's protection posse has watched it too.
  • Has T been to a pro wrestling match lately? He used to be involved with it. If folks *there* booed him, that would hit him hard.

I might worry about what he'd do in response--not necessarily at the match, but trouble he'd wreak.

I hope the person who minds the "nuclear football" attache case is vacationing far, far away.
  • Pro-wrestling might be a smart move. Getting booed at those events could just mean that you're an effective heel and a good showman. Of course that means getting into the ring too.
  • Golden Key wrote: »
    Has T been to a pro wrestling match lately? He used to be involved with it. If folks *there* booed him, that would hit him hard.

He's also a fan of Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC). He went to a match recently and got booed. Maybe he figures the problem is that he picked a venue in New York City. (i.e. where they know him.) That may be the impetus for going to the Alabama/LSU game.
  • PigletPiglet All Saints Host, Circus Host
    edited November 2019
    If he gets booed at any more football matches, he'll probably just ban it by executive order.

Or tell the managers to fire the players, like he did with Mr. Kaepernick.
  • Pro-wrestling might be a smart move. Getting booed at those events could just mean that you're an effective heel and a good showman. Of course that means getting into the ring too.

Oh, but he *has* been in the ring! That's a YouTube search on "trump wwe". (A pro-wrestling organization.)

And Psychology Today has Trump and the Psychology of Pro Wrestling: Psychology research shows how Trump uses wrestling tactics to get ahead" (May 19, 2017). BTW, it was written by a retired, female wrestler!
  • Russia's take on American foreign policy in the Middle East: http://www.pravdareport.com/world/144019-russia_middle_east/

It does tie into the milinki mile-chik trumpski (little boy trumpkin) being the agent of the ex-pinkos.
    Russia's take on American foreign policy in the Middle East: http://www.pravdareport.com/world/144019-russia_middle_east/
    I can't make your link work, NP. Are you sure that's the correct address?
  • it worked for me
  • Russia's take on American foreign policy in the Middle East: http://www.pravdareport.com/world/144019-russia_middle_east/

It does tie into the milinki mile-chik trumpski (little boy trumpkin) being the agent of the ex-pinkos.

Pravda.ru is not “Russia’s take.” It’s a privately owned tabloid with no relation to the government or what’s left of the CPSU. As a news source it has about as much seriousness as Breitbart or National Enquirer.

There is much to criticize the way it’s being done, or whether it’s being done at all, but the US getting out of Syria is simply a good idea. Doing stupid shit just to say you’re foiling the Russians is a bad idea. That’s how you ended up with 9/11.

NP - you're at liberty to post whatever chum-scattering links you want, but if you can't find a verifiable and trusted news source to support your tin-foil-hattery, then I'd rather you simply not post them at all.
    The organisation has been accused of supporting the Russian government's position on various subjects both within and outside the country and also of producing neo-Soviet, Russian nationalist news and outright conspiracy theories.
  • If you're going to link to pravda.ru, there really are a lot more interesting stories to choose from than that one, like how Aliens forced Americans out from the Moon.
  • It's Russia's take. That's the point. It's what they think. Breathe people.

Yes, I added a silly little comment because it's hell.
  • It's Russia's take.

Literally, fuck off with your dubious links. Fuck right off, and then fuck off some more.
  • It's Russia's take. That's the point. It's what they think. Breathe people.

Who are they? This is like taking some shit from the National Enquirer and saying, this is America's take.

• Doc Tor wrote: »
    It's Russia's take.

Literally, fuck off with your dubious links. Fuck right off, and then fuck off some more.
    Chill, and maybe take a laxative. Russia and wrestling. It's a recursive joke. All media is fake. You're fake. I'm fake.
  • Doc Tor wrote: »
    It's Russia's take.

Chill, and maybe take a laxative. Russia and wrestling. It's a recursive joke. All media is fake. You're fake. I'm fake.

Are you channelling @Martin54?