Rossweisse
RIP Rossweisse, HellHost and long-time Shipmate.
Please see the thread in All Saints remembering her.

Coast to Coast to Coast - Canada 2019

1234568»

Comments

• His rants are well beloved by many (whom I would likely deem to be "redknecks") and they paid to have hockey on their tvs. The number of people who are angry that he was made to leave far outweigh the people who are glad that there were consequences. I don't think many understand what the issue is at all. There's a certain privilege at work here.
  • PigletPiglet All Saints Host, Circus Host
    Interesting that three out of the top ten Greatest Canadians were actually Scottish ... :wink:
  • Leaf wrote: »
    I can't imagine how Mississauga must have changed, from his perspective, in the last 50 years or so. I would have hoped that Hazel McCallion, another parishioner at Trinity, Streetsville, might have tuned him up.
    Ah... another memory. In my commuting days Hazel was a well known traffic hazard in Mississauga, but she had a personalised licence plate, which was a useful warning to keep clear.

• Oh! This is fun! Andrew Scheer resigned as Con leader in the Commons at noon today. The knives had been out since the election, but it was expected that he'd hang on for a bit. But he resigned, all for the good of the party, bark bark woof woof. Less than two hours later I hear that the Conservative coffers were paying the difference for Scheer's children to go to a school in Ottawa rather than back home in Saskatchewan. I'm sure that that would play well among the "back home". "I gave $50 to the Conservatives so Scheer's kids can go to Ashbury [or wherever]" would be the cue to grab your torches and pitchforks.

So, so long, then, Andrew. We barely knew ye.
    Can't say I'm shedding any tears.
  • It's not happy to have the strident conservatives in Sask emboldened to blame everything on Trudeau (always said wrongly btw). Particularly that they were young, barely finished highschool, went to Alberta or western Sask and drilled for heavy oil sludge, were paid $150k or more for almost 10 years, bought a $90k extended cab 4 wheel drive truck, went on tropical holidays twice per year, over mortgaged themselves on McMansion style badly constructed houses. And when the bottom fell out, as it always does, knew that the world owed them. That Trudeau owed them. Not willing to understand their own role in their lives.

Meanwhile Jason Kenney goes hat in hand whining to Ottawa that he must maintain a low tax regime with no sales tax and that Canada must compensate them for saving nary a penny of the profit from the toxic pudding that's bitumen (oil sand extract, and it is really tarry and not at really sand).

And even though the feds have bought an ill conceived pipeline to send that diluted sludge to China, it's never their fault.

I live in a version of hell if ever I speak of the environment, immigration, the French language, taxation on pollution. A teacher in Alberta tried to teach both sides of the issues with a fossil fuel economy. The school had to call the RCMP, cancel a school event: https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmonton/social-media-threats-force-cancellation-of-blackfalds-elementary-school-holiday-dance-1.5390831

I've teacher friends. They're all wary.
  • A few years ago, The Report on Business in The Globe&Mail (so, hardly The Daily Worker) published an analysis very critical of recent Alberta governments (up to that point, conservative for decades - this was pre-Notley) for cutting the the resource royalties x->0, and having spent the nest egg before that, cf. Norway's amassing and subsequently prudent management of their sovereign fund. Even Peter Lougheed was advising the provincial government that This Wasn't A Very Good Idea.

Moreover, Albertan governments complain about having to kick in for equalisation payments, while Ontario did it for years and years, and (mostly) viewed it as the unfortunate cost of Confederation.

Lastly, Wexit makes me roar with laughter. Have any of its proponents ever looked at a map? If they think that getting a new pipeline now is a pain, I wish them luck when they are the Republic of Alberta, of Albertawan, or whatever. Perhaps once independent they can turn themselves into a tax haven.

As an aside, Notley should have realised that she was screwed anyway and done something that would in Alberta pass for revolutionary, like hiking royalties and imposing a sales tax. Viva la revolucion!
    ... [they] went to Alberta or western Sask and drilled for heavy oil sludge, were paid $150k or more for almost 10 years, bought a $90k extended cab 4 wheel drive truck, went on tropical holidays twice per year, over mortgaged themselves on McMansion style badly constructed houses. And when the bottom fell out, as it always does, knew that the world owed them ...
    A shed-load of Newfoundlanders did exactly that, and a combination of the fire at Fort McMurray and the bottom falling out of the oil market sent them scuttling back. The effect on the Newfoundland economy was to play silly-buggers with house prices, which cost us dearly when we were selling ours.
    ... A teacher in Alberta tried to teach both sides of the issues with a fossil fuel economy. The school had to call the RCMP, cancel a school event ...
    I take it the parent was objecting to the Greenpeace side being put, rather than the oil sands side?

I know "Wexit" seems like a joke, but if what is essentially giving pupils a chance to make a balanced judgement gets people so worked up that the police need to get involved, maybe Canada would be better off without them.

• Oh! This is fun! Andrew Scheer resigned as Con leader in the Commons at noon today. The knives had been out since the election, but it was expected that he'd hang on for a bit. But he resigned, all for the good of the party, bark bark woof woof. Less than two hours later I hear that the Conservative coffers were paying the difference for Scheer's children to go to a school in Ottawa rather than back home in Saskatchewan. I'm sure that that would play well among the "back home". "I gave $50 to the Conservatives so Scheer's kids can go to Ashbury [or wherever]" would be the cue to grab your torches and pitchforks.

So, so long, then, Andrew. We barely knew ye.

I gather that it is not general knowledge all political parties have trust funds for leaders' expenses (this was not the same as trust funds established to replace pensions lost by entering politics, as was done for Lester Pearson). Funds were for travelling costs and then came to include representational costs (which means picking up the tab, as well as dry-cleaning and clothing costs over one's normal practices, i.e., needing weekly touchups for the cameras and repeated shirt changes for interviews). Some leaders who were personally wealthy, such as Robert Stanfield, or remarkably parsimonious (Tommy Douglas) only made very limited withdrawals. A friend of mine was involved with administering the NDP funds during the 80s and early 90s but even under the influence of considerable drafts of Spanish wine, was as discreet as a confessor.

Mila Mulroney was well-known for dipping into the Conservative leader's fund for personal expenses of a sort generally not thought to be necessary-- hairdressing and clothing costs of five figures a year. Apparently the Scheer costs were approved by one internal mechanism, but not by another, which puzzles me. I wonder if the PC fund was transferred over to the CPC leader's fund with the same procedures and conditions-- it is possible that the confusion was innocent if there was no clarity here.

It used to be that donations were directly made to the leader's fund, but one of my contacts tells me that there were party funds transfers from time to time. As details of the parties' leaders' funds are not publicly available, we can't be certain.

I knew of past instances where riding association trust funds made transfers to leaders' trust funds, but that was thirty years ago, and I do not know if this practice continues. As long as tax receipts are not issued, and these funds are not used for election campaigns, I believe this to be legal. I know we have a few shipmates who have recent direct experience of the Elections Act, and they likely know more than I do.

So even if it was not the $50 fundraiser donation which made it into the Scheer kids' school costs, it didn't look helpful to Mr Scheer, and gave those disappointed with the 2019 results a big stick with which to beat him (or pull out the pitchforks etc of which @Pangolin Guerre so poetically writes). His .... unclear signals in response.... just helped hammer in the coffin nails. I can't say that I'll miss him, as he was perhaps the most flawed of the major parties' flawed leaders, but I am curious as to what will be his next act. Will he play the loyalist, as Joe Clark did for Brian Mulroney, or will he be the simmering Saskatchewanian salamander, as John Diefenbaker was for Robert Stanfield? As he's 41, and 14 years away from being able to draw his parliamentary pension (which will be comfortable) and has no law degree, he'll need to find something to do.
  • Perhaps he could become an insurance broker...
  • Now who's being poetic? "Simmering Saskatchewanian salamander"... very nice sibilant alliteration. It sounds like an endangered species highlighted on a Hinterland Who's Who. Well played, sir.

I also have wondered about Scheer's future. I suppose that it would depend on who becomes leader, and to what degree, if at all, s/he changes the ideological complexion of the party. I was wondering whether he might be offered a seat on a board of some sort, but he doesn't seem to have any expertise outside politics, but he's been an MP for over 15 years, so perhaps he's been able to form enough contacts to be of some use to someone. I think that he'd have to wait a bit for a Senate seat. "[Beating the devil's tattoo] What to do? What to do?"

BTW, I don't think that it was a secret that political parties maintain "maintenance" trust funds for their respective leaders, and I think that most people don't especially care about how they are administered. I think the nub of the issue here was that it wasn't suits, dry cleaning, etc., but the much more substantial school fees. I don't know which school(s) is/are involved, but for four children of school age, that could be an embarrassing chunk of change.
    I don't imagine he'd be well enough known outside Canada to make a killing on the after-dinner-speaking circuit either ..
  • You've heard him speak. People would be face down in their pudding.
    Actually, I don't believe I have - I'm very bad at not listening to the news. I seem to get more news than I'll ever need via the interweb, and I usually keep the sound off, as I don't want to inadvertently hear Trump ... :naughty:
  • john holdingjohn holding Ecclesiantics Host, Mystery Worshipper Host
    Piglet wrote: »
    I don't imagine he'd be well enough known outside Canada to make a killing on the after-dinner-speaking circuit either ..

I'm not sure he's well enough known in Canada, for that matter
  • As I read this my first thoughts were game show host. But then I thought he could team up with Harper and be a lounge singer. Stephen and Andrew playing at the Senate Cafeteria. At noon of course as the senators will all be in their jammies by 8pm.
  • The franco-ontarian barista at my local wished me a "Bonne vingt-vingt" this morning.
  • MarsupialMarsupial Shipmate
    I suppose we can now look back on last year with 2020 hindsight.

Happy New Year everyone.
This discussion has been closed.