Please see Styx thread on the Registered Shipmates consultation for the main discussion forums - your views are important, continues until April 4th.

General Good-byes And RIPs

Comments

• OhherOhher Shipmate
    (Sorry; I wrote this some time back but apparently neglected to hit "post." I'm still sorry he's left us though. His poem was read by my first class of the semester Tuesday night.
  • Jim Lehrer of the Lehrer Report just died at 85.
  • PigletPiglet All Saints Host, Circus Host
    @Ohher - I can't get that link to work - could you give me the title of the poem, and I'll see if I can find it?

Thanks,

Piglet, AS host
  • Nicholas Parsons has died.

He may have been 96 but it still feels as though he was taken too soon.

Indeed - truly a Broadcasting Legend.
  • On my Facebook feed came up the news that David Adam had died.
  • HuiaHuia Shipmate
    Nicholas Parsons has died.

I loved his voice when listening to reports from the BBC.
  • The Queen's English!

RIPARIG - he'll be able to teach any awkward Apprentice Angels how to enunciate properly...

Oddly enough, he came as an after-dinner speaker to a big conference when I worked for the Big Computer Company. He was like Krusty the Klown on that occasion - completely inappropriate material for an audience at least 50% female :astonished:

I have never been able to think of him in the same way as everyone else ...
  • Without making excuses for him, maybe he was of his time (i.e. the age of the dinosaurs)...

Oddly enough, he came as an after-dinner speaker to a big conference when I worked for the Big Computer Company. He was like Krusty the Klown on that occasion - completely inappropriate material for an audience at least 50% female :astonished:

I have never been able to think of him in the same way as everyone else ...

People have been surprised by Kenneth McKellar too. And as for Bob Monkhouse, some of his material never got near broadcast.
  • Monkhouse, yes - couldn't stand the man, but McKellar?
    :astonished:

Well, well. A generation, perhaps fortunately, passing away...
    I always thought of Kenneth McKellar as more of a singer than a comedian - what would I know?
  • There's a very, very er... lively version of "The Ball of Kirriemuir" by Kenneth McKellar that I have a feeling North East Quine posted a link to on here once. It was most definitely NIACWSFW (Not In Any Conceivable Way Suitable For Work)
    I think I may know the ditty whereof you speak ... :mrgreen:
  • Gee DGee D Shipmate
    It's on You Tube, but very difficult to make out the lyrics
    That's probably just as well! :blush:
  • Gee DGee D Shipmate
    The bits I could hear were both predictable and pretty tame by today's standards.
  • North East QuineNorth East Quine Purgatory Host
    edited February 2020
    There's a very, very er... lively version of "The Ball of Kirriemuir" by Kenneth McKellar that I have a feeling North East Quine posted a link to on here once. It was most definitely NIACWSFW (Not In Any Conceivable Way Suitable For Work)

Yes, yes I did! :)
  • ITTWACW :grin:
  • And just to cap that:
    IS OUTRAGE!
    :wink:
  • A well known 'rugby song' I was aware of back in the 1960s, and which had presumably been around even further back
  • ...except it was Inverness in those days, not Kirriemuir
  • ... to rhyme with four-and-twenty less :grin:
    edited February 2020
    Quite so. :mrgreen:

eta: how did we get on to that in the course of a thread for short obituaries? :confused:
  • A well known 'rugby song' I was aware of back in the 1960s, and which had presumably been around even further back

I learned it at Guide camp :)
  • KarlLBKarlLB Shipmate
    edited February 2020
    The farmer's boy he was there
    Swinging on a gate.
    He struggled with the social niceties involved in impromptu casual couplings and therefore had to fall back on entertaining himself.
  • Joe Coulombe has died at 89. You probably know him better as "Trader Joe," founder of the chain of stores described by the New York Times as "equal parts gourmet shop, discount warehouse and Tiki trading post."
  • bassobasso Shipmate
    Quite a lot of comment at work today.

According to the obits, he once said that he opened the chain to serve "the overeducated and underpaid." I hollered "Brother!"
  • Wesley JWesley J Circus Host
    edited March 2020
    Ernesto Cardinal has died (1 March 2020), see e.g. here. Nicaraguan priest, poet, revolutionary and long-time government minister, he was one of the 'saviours' of my undernourished teenage mind.

His poems and other books, given to me by a well-meaning young RC priest, started me on a long journey to discovery, and which is ungoing. They showed me that revolution is not just an adolescent's dream, but all humanity's, and that there is more to words than just facts, and that poetry and artistic creativity can in fact transcend it all.

RIP.
    Is see he's spelt Cardenal. My apologies.
  • Trader Joe's is now owned by Albrecht Discounts, parent company of Aldi.
  • James Lipton, whose interviews on Inside The Actor's Studio were fascinating, and popularised the so-called Proust Quiz in English, dead at age 93.
    edited March 2020
  • North East QuineNorth East Quine Purgatory Host
    There have been a number of excellent obituaries for Peter Macdonald, former leader of the Iona Community.

https://www.heraldscotland.com/opinion/18279106.obituary-peter-macdonald-radical-church-scotland-minister-whose-brilliance-preacher-inspired-many-people/

Only 61, and with so much still to offer.
  • Last May, avoiding the General Assembly service in St. Giles, I was in his church (which was where I met my husband, long before he was minister there) and he had a very good but elaborate children's talk. about Peter and the vision of the unclean animals. He looked around the church and quipped "Of course it is the week when you go to a lot of trouble for the children that they don't turn up..." He was such a good minister for that congregation, which I know well.
  • Henri Richard, has passed away. One of the greatest hockey players of his time, he has his name inscribed on the Stanley Cup a remarkable 11 times.
  • Max von Sydow, age 90.

Some years ago at the Toronto International Film Festival I saw him host a special presentation of an archival print of Virgin Spring. He did a Q&A afterward, starting off by saying that it was long ago that he worked with Bergman on that film, and that he was uncertain how much he could answer about the film. He prowled the stage with considerable energy, and could remember in great detail how they composed certain shots, resolved certain problems, etc. Bergman had just recently died, and von Sydow was asked to recall something of their friendship, and it was the only moment of the evening when he faltered, and then, only slightly. He said after pausing, "No. It's too soon." He was in great form. It was a delight to see such a master.
  • EigonEigon Shipmate
    I remember Bishop Barbara Harris being consecrated - it was an exciting time for Anglican women!
  • DooneDoone Shipmate
    Sad to hear that Roy Hudd has died 🕯
  • I was unaware of Roy Hudd, and just read his obituary on The Guardian website. He sounds lovely, and his grandmother a formidable woman. I would have liked to have known them both.
  • DooneDoone Shipmate
    Yes, I think a lovely, genuine guy and part of my radio / television growing up years.
  • He was a quiet but sincere Christian man. My wife once spoke to him briefly - at the Suffolk Show I think - and said that he was charming.
  • MaryLouiseMaryLouise Shipmate, Host Emeritus
    The iconic Cameroon saxophonist and musician Manu Dibangu has died in France of Covid-19.
  • EigonEigon Shipmate
    David Colling the actor has died - he was the voice of Monkey in the dubbed version of the 1970s Japanese TV series (I think he was Lin Chung in The Water Margin, too) and played several characters on Doctor Who, as well as Silver in Sapphire and Steel.
  • Albert Uderzo, illustrator of Asterix, has died at 92.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-52016721

I spot on another tribute to him that "These Roman's are crazy!" is 'Sono pazzi questi romani' in Italian

SPQR!
  • RossweisseRossweisse Hell Host, 8th Day Host, Glory
    There's also "Questi porci sono questi romani," "What pigs these Romans are." (This is a theme in the north of Italy.)

• MaryLouiseMaryLouise Shipmate, Host Emeritus
    Credo Mutwa has died at the age of 98, an internationally known African traditional healer and Sanusi (prophetic shaman) as well as a sculptor.
  • Pangolin GuerrePangolin Guerre Shipmate
    edited March 2020
    Playwright and writer of books for musicals, Terrence McNally, died yesterday of complications of Covid, age 81.