Please see Styx thread on the Registered Shipmates consultation for the main discussion forums - your views are important, continues until April 4th.

Ship of Fools: (Virtual) St Bartholomew the Great, London

imageShip of Fools: (Virtual) St Bartholomew the Great, London

Evensong via podcast – ministry worth remembering

Read the full Mystery Worshipper report here

Comments

• Hmmm ... two thoughts. One is simply, "How long will they be able to keep it up for?" More seriously, my denomination has warned very strongly against musicians getting together to lead worship - this is especially pertinent now in the light of the CofE now saying that there should only be 5 people present at a wedding.
  • Yes - those 5 are the clergyperson, the couple, and the two legally-required witnesses.

Re podcasts - it does seem a bit mean to criticise, but I think it is the case now that musicians and/or choir must NOT get together to lead services.

I guess it's hard for clergy, choirs, and congregations to accept the fact that, for some time to come, corporate worship CANNOT and MUST NOT be held.
  • Box PewBox Pew Shipmate
    Quite apart from government guidance, the Archbishop of Canterbury has ruled it out in the Church of England.

I notice several London churches—not least Westminster Abbey—saying they will continue with their round of daily services but with only clergy present. Worship FOR the community rather than BY the community.

I suppose Westminster Abbey has a chapter's worth of resident clergy on the spot and that counts as corporate worship. But sadly I dont know of any churches who have yet put out their worship as podcasts (I mean as audio, not the more ambitious video).

Its such an obvious thing to do in this time of epidemic, I feel sure it being done somewhere. I must keep searching.
  • edited March 2020
    Miss Amanda hates to snuff out your fires, but let's limit this thread to a discussion of the Great St Bart podcast specifically, and let's discuss the wisdom or legality of podcasts in general elsewhere, shall we?
  • Bishops FingerBishops Finger Shipmate
    edited March 2020
    Yes, Miss Amanda.

Two points, then - which prayer from the Church of Ireland was included (and why?), and Lord let me know mine end was an inspired choice of psalm/anthem!

Here it is:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-R3GztApbHA
  • Can we know who the “well-known prolific novelist and historian” who preached was? I assume it wasn’t a secret.
  • We do not identify "the cast" by name. GDPR (General Data Protection Regulation) and all that, you know.
  • The name is on the church's website, but I will not publish it here.
  • I shall go looking then. Thanks.
    I know there are the GDPR requirements—though I won’t pretend to a good understanding of the ins and outs—but I guess I am a little surprised that it’s a problem identifying someone who is publicly identified elsewhere. Not by any means trying to make trouble or suggesting a change to the current protocol on the Ship though.
  • We have no control over what is done elsewhere. We can only control what is done on the Ship. And on the Ship we do not identify people by name in Mystery Worship reports.
  • Yes, understood. These days, one can't be too careful...
  • And like I said, while I was puzzled, I was not suggesting the Ship do anything differently.
  • Box PewBox Pew Shipmate
    I see St Barts church has now put several virtual services online - though they are not so obvious on their website.
  • edited March 2020
    Yes, Miss Amanda.

Two points, then - which prayer from the Church of Ireland was included (and why?), and Lord let me know mine end was an inspired choice of psalm/anthem!

Here it is:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-R3GztApbHA

It was the prayer "in the time of any Common Plague or Sickness." There is a prayer of the same title in the 1662 BCP, but I can see why the more modern Irish one was preferred!

Compare:

England, 1662:
    O ALMIGHTY God, who in thy wrath did send a plague upon thine own people in the wilderness, for their obstinate rebellion against Moses and Aaron; and also, in the time of king David, didst slay with the plague of Pestilence threescore and ten thousand, and yet remembering thy mercy didst save the rest; Have pity upon us miserable sinners, who now are visited with great sickness and mortality; that like as thou didst then accept of an atonement, and didst command the destroying Angel to cease from punishing, so it may now please thee to withdraw from us this plague and grievous sickness; through Jesus Christ our Lord.

Ireland, 1926:
    O ALMIGHTY God the Lord of life and death, of health and sickness; Have pity upon us miserable sinners, now visited with great sickness [and mortality]. Withdraw from us this grievous affliction. Sanctify to us, we beseech thee, this thy fatherly correction. Enlarge our charity to relieve those who need our help. Bless the remedies applied to assist them. Give us prudence to see, and vigour to use, those means which thy providence affords, for preventing and alleviating such calamities. And, above all, teach us to know how frail and uncertain our condition is, and so to number our days, that we may seriously apply our hearts to that holy and heavenly wisdom, whilst we live here, which may in the end bring us to life everlasting; through the merits and mediation of Jesus Christ, thine only Son our Lord. Amen.
  • Thank you!
  • Pangolin GuerrePangolin Guerre Shipmate
    edited March 2020
    The choice of 'Lord, let me know mine end' is, given the line "Take Thy plague away from me", especially appropriate and touching, not just for these times, but also because Parry was to die of the Spanish Flu.