Please see Styx thread on the Registered Shipmates consultation for the main discussion forums - your views are important, continues until April 4th.

Fucking Guns

Comments

• RuthRuth Shipmate
    But, an arsenal of weapons that would equip the army of several small nations is going to protect you from infection. Nothing scares viruses like a several AR-15s with plenty of ammunition.

Perhaps I don't actually have to explain this, but some people are afraid that what passes for civil society in the US will collapse. It won't, because most people's responses in disasters are mostly positive, but dystopian fictions and disaster movies have given some the idea that unwashed hordes will break down their front door and steal their hoarded toilet paper.
  • Alan Cresswell Alan Cresswell Admin, 8th Day Host
    Most of the time we need to apply sarcasm tags.

Though at this time I can see one benefit of an arsenal of automatic weapons. Carrying one when you need to go out might encourage everyone else to maintain a minimum of 2m distance, even the idiots who think they must be immune to covid-19 will presumably recognise that supposed immunity to a virus doesn't equate to immunity from several rounds from an automatic weapon.
  • DafydDafyd Hell Host
    even the idiots who think they must be immune to covid-19 will presumably recognise that supposed immunity to a virus doesn't equate to immunity from several rounds from an automatic weapon.
    Only if they haven't got guns themselves. Everyone knows that good guys with guns are invulnerable to bullets.
  • TwilightTwilight Shipmate
    edited May 2020
    You know it's unprecedented times when we lose interest in the gun problem, soon we'll be saying, "9-11? Pfft we're losing that many per day."

But I still have enough gun outrage left for the this Ahmaud Arbery case.

Two Georgia crackers (and I feel comfortable using that slur) take it on their ignorant selves to chase after and shoot a black man for jogging through their neighborhood. They thought he might have been a burglar and were hoping to make a citizens arrest. I think "good guys" with guns are actually more dangerous than bad guys with guns because bad guys usually have reasons.

• RossweisseRossweisse Hell Host, 8th Day Host, Glory
    The paternal half of the murderous father-son duo seems to have been a major embarrassment waiting to happen, as was the second district attorney to (reluctantly, in his case) recuse himself. I hope there are serious repercussions for all of them.
  • DoublethinkDoublethink Admin, 8th Day Host
    edited May 2020
    The guy seems to have had two heart attacks and been bankrupted by his healthcare costs. Which is not in anyway an excuse for his behaviour, but makes one wonder if his fear, anger and frustration have left him looking for scapegoats for a while.
  • Simon ToadSimon Toad Shipmate
    I think so Doublethink, and I also think that his culture directs him to find scapegoats in African Americans, among others.
  • MiliMili Shipmate
    I don't even know what to say about this new gun nut internet craze. Apparently pointing a gun at their most prized body part, with no safety and finger on the trigger proves manliness:
    https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2020/may/30/us-gun-owners-meme-feud
    If they do that before they have children then Darwin wins again
  • Ethne AlbaEthne Alba Shipmate
    Easy selection for future husbands then?

Idiot.
    Nope
  • Mili wrote: »
    I don't even know what to say about this new gun nut internet craze. Apparently pointing a gun at their most prized body part, with no safety and finger on the trigger proves manliness:
    https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2020/may/30/us-gun-owners-meme-feud

The guy's cat in the article picture throws a fit and makes him jump. Or his phone goes off and gives him a start. Or some kid sees it on the web, does it to impress his friends, and stumbles.
  • HuiaHuia Shipmate
    An earthquake could do the world a favour ensuring they don't propagate.
  • Golden KeyGolden Key Shipmate, Glory
    Well, if that's what they want to do to themselves, perhaps they should be introduced to the story of Origen. Or to a particular character in Bruce Lee's last production, "Circle Of Iron".

I hope, however, that they don't do that to themselves. I also hope there are no people or animals (or plants!) around while they're messing with the gun, 'cause unintended consequences.
  • DoublethinkDoublethink Admin, 8th Day Host
  • RooKRooK Shipmate
    Fucking guns.
  • HuiaHuia Shipmate
    How the hell can people see photos like those and not consider a change in the rules? Yes I am a bleeding heart softy - but if someone is not affected by this story I think they must be brain dead.
  • lilbuddhalilbuddha Shipmate
    Huia wrote: »
    How the hell can people see photos like those and not consider a change in the rules? Yes I am a bleeding heart softy - but if someone is not affected by this story I think they must be brain dead.
    Honestly? The pics were of black kids. White people might be sorry for the children, but many are going to think that it is a black community problem and therefore not connected to guns.
  • EigonEigon Shipmate
    There are still people who believe that Sandy Hook was a hoax - and those were mostly blond white kids.
    Eigon wrote: »
    There are still people who believe that Sandy Hook was a hoax - and those were mostly blond white kids.
    This has nothing to do with what I said.

• HuiaHuia Shipmate
    lilbuddha wrote: »
    Honestly? The pics were of black kids. White people might be sorry for the children, but many are going to think that it is a black community problem and therefore not connected to guns.

Yeah, That's what I meant - brain dead.
  • RuthRuth Shipmate

The point is that sometim

The divide in the US over the gun laws is not a white vs. black thing. It's a Democrat vs. Republican thing.
    Source: https://www.npr.org/2019/10/20/771278167/poll-number-of-americans-who-favor-stricter-gun-laws-continues-to-grow
    Ruth wrote: »

The point is that sometim

The divide in the US over the gun laws is not a white vs. black thing. It's a Democrat vs. Republican thing.
    Source: https://www.npr.org/2019/10/20/771278167/poll-number-of-americans-who-favor-stricter-gun-laws-continues-to-grow
    The gun law problem is that. My point was only that pics of dead black children are not going to be the thing that pushes gun laws forwards.
  • RuthRuth Shipmate
    My point was only that pics of dead black children are not going to be the thing that pushes gun laws forwards.

And my point is that no pics of dead children have pushed gun laws forward. A classroom full of dead first-graders who were mostly white did nothing.

I am slightly hopeful that pictures of Black people legally carrying arms in public will do something. California is not an open carry state because white people shat themselves when the Black Panthers were patrolling Oakland, legally armed, in the late 60s.
    My point was only that pics of dead black children are not going to be the thing that pushes gun laws forwards.

And my point is that no pics of dead children have pushed gun laws forward. A classroom full of dead first-graders who were mostly white did nothing.
    The difference is that when white kids get shot, people pretend they care. In fairness, they care, but not enough.
    I am slightly hopeful that pictures of Black people legally carrying arms in public will do something. California is not an open carry state because white people shat themselves when the Black Panthers were patrolling Oakland, legally armed, in the late 60s.
    I had the same thought, but with very mixed feelings.

...except white people who are terrified and/or angry might just buy (more) guns themselves. They might well try to change the laws, on the grounds that African-American ownership of guns would be curtailed; but *of course* right-thinking people like *them* would have the right to have all the guns they wanted, on the basis of the 2nd Amendment.

After mass shootings (e.g., Colorado movie theater, schools), Americans tend to buy more guns. In a situation that's much larger (especially if they're including the violence and looting, which seems to have been mostly instigated by non-BLM folks), they're going to be much more scared and angry.

Some years back, there was some place here in California where open carry was legal--with the catch that the guns were supposed to be unloaded. Of course, no way to know if they were. IIRC, there were scary scenes at Starbuck's and such. That ended, but I don't remember details.
  • RuthRuth Shipmate

The difference is that when white kids get shot, people pretend they care. In fairness, they care, but not enough.

True. It doesn't matter how much we care or pretend to care, though -- nothing's going to change until we pry the gun lobby's clammy hands off our legislators.

I had the same thought, but with very mixed feelings.

It seems extremely dangerous, but the US is a powder keg right now anyway. Everything seems dangerous.

In other gun news: The feds are snatching people off the street in Portland, Oregon, and the 2nd amendment folks claiming they need their arsenals in order to protect their freedoms in case the government went bad aren't exactly coming out of the woodwork to support them. The hypocrisy isn't surprising, but it amuses me in a sick sort of way.
    I heard about the Feds in Portland. (Gaaaaa!) Didn't know about the gun folks.
  • HuiaHuia Shipmate
    edited August 2020
    I just caught a snatch of news that the NY Attorney General is seeking to have the NRA disbanded. Not sure if it's accurate or not. What would be the chances? Would it just cover the state of NY or the whole country?
  • jbohnjbohn Shipmate
    The country - the NRA is a non-profit incorporated in NY, so they are subject to having the State of New York force their dissolution.
    Oh, yes, the state Attorney General of New York is trying to disassemble the NRA, and a good thing, too.

My father, a serious hunter (we ate the ducks and geese he and my grandfather killed), black powder target shooter, and gun safety instructor, joined the NRA as a boy because it was overwhelmingly a hunting and conservation group at that time. In the last few decades it's become primarily a pro-gun group, with no consideration for safety (to put it mildly). More power to Attorney General Letitia James and her D.C. counterpart, Attorney General Karl A. Racine. Go get 'em!
    Would there be anything to stop the NRA from simply moving, so that they become a non-profit incorporated in a different state? Presumably that would then mean the NY AG couldn't disassemble the NRA but only restrict their activities within NY. Would they take that option, which would have some financial costs as well as the appearance of running away, or would they prefer to stand and fight their ground in NY?
    I think they have to fight it out in New York. I have wondered if they could pick up the pieces and start anew in, say, Texas or Arizona, but I don’t know what that would look like. I would like to see LaPierre and his posse broken and cowering in disgrace, and I think that could well happen.
  • jbohnjbohn Shipmate
    Between their existing financial and legal issues and this new one, I don't know that they have the wherewithal to fight it out with NY and come back somewhere else. This may (one can hope) put the final nail in Wayne LaPierre and Co.'s coffin.
  • But I would imagine there are lots of millionaire gun nuts out there who would simply form a new group, in a different state, with a different name, different articles of incorporation, and different bylaws, but with the same goal, and that would attract the same nut-jobs.
  • jbohnjbohn Shipmate
    Way to harsh my mellow. ;-)

Of course, you're absolutely right. To be honest, most of the true gun nuts of my acquaintance were already pretty much done with the NRA, as they saw it as enriching itself and not *really* working to protect their guns. They're contributing to more hardline groups like Gun Owners of America and Jews For the Preservation of Firearms Ownership. Those groups do not (yet) have the money or reach of the NRA, but that could change quickly.
  • If I recall the last century correctly, the NRA started to shift in the 70s towards becoming an industry lobbying group. Their main interest in individual gun owners is as consumers - encouraging them to buy as many guns as possible, and the bigger the better.
  • RuthRuth Shipmate
    Rossweisse wrote: »
    I think they have to fight it out in New York.

The NY AG has said on Twitter:
    To be clear, no charity registered in NYS, including the @NRA, can dissolve and relocate to another state without the approval of my office or of the Supreme Court of NY.

As long as our lawsuit continues, the NRA must stay right where it is & answer for their deep-rooted fraud.
    Excellent. Thank you, Ruth.
  • CrœsosCrœsos Shipmate
    edited August 2020
    Hey, remember those guys who were posting pictures of themselves pointing guns at their naughty bits to prove . . . something? Maybe that gun safety rules aren't the boss of me? Anyway, you probably won't be surprised by this.
    Today in things you may feel you were better off not knowing, there are multiple Facebook groups in which men take pictures of themselves with loaded guns pointed towards their dicks. And, in news that should not shock you at all, one of those men has blown off his testicles and is now being hailed as a king by the members of one of these groups.

On August 11, the man, a member of the "Loaded Guns Pointed at [ B ]enis" group, started posting a live video of himself pointing a gun at his dick and balls, for reasons, when the gun "accidentally" went off, in what's more accurately called a "negligent discharge" — and how. The video was swiftly deleted, and the man subsequently posted the picture above, showing blood spattered everywhere and the caption "[ B ]ois, I think I fucked up." You will note the copy of the Constitution in the upper left corner, reminding us all that it is a man's Second Amendment right to shoot his balls off if he so chooses.

It was not a mere graze. The man later went to the hospital and discovered that it had actually gone through, which seems ... uncomfortable. But apparently he is doing okay for a guy who just shot himself in the balls. He has since been made an administrator of the group, and members have been photoshopping memes of him as a king, accepting the Presidential Medal of Freedom, etc. etc.

I'm beginning to think there are some deep-seated psychological issues behind some Americans' gun fetishism, not merely a specific mode of Constitutional interpretation.
  • jedijudyjedijudy Heaven Host
    I'm guessing he's taken himself out of the gene pool.
    It's just calling out for some one to say "what a dick!"
    Is there an overlap of these guys and *some* of the incel guys? Would almost make some kind of sense.
  • Maybe they'll all follow suit and spare the world of their progeny.
  • I recommend to that group the Judean People's Front elite Suicide Squad, as the ultimate form of protest at people telling them to wear a mask, or whatever.
  • Simon Toad wrote: »
    I recommend to that group the Judean People's Front elite Suicide Squad, as the ultimate form of protest at people telling them to wear a mask, or whatever.

Much more effective than that "Popular Front" guy sitting "over there ..." ... "SPLITTER ... !!!"
  • Simon Toad wrote: »
    I recommend to that group the Judean People's Front elite Suicide Squad, as the ultimate form of protest at people telling them to wear a mask, or whatever.

Much more effective than that "Popular Front" guy sitting "over there ..." ... "SPLITTER ... !!!"

Anyway ... whenever possible, insofar as human frailty permits, "Follow The Gourd ... !!! ... Follow The Holy Gourd of Jerusalem ... !!!"
  • Oh my God! At least no one but the shooter was hurt or killed:

PoliceFatally Shoot Man Who Opened Fire at Historic Manhattan Cathedral
  • LydaLyda Shipmate
    NicoleMR wrote: »
    Oh my God! At least no one but the shooter was hurt or killed:

PoliceFatally Shoot Man Who Opened Fire at Historic Manhattan Cathedral

Looking at the report updated as of today, the man was shooting in the air and demanding the police to shoot him. In other words, probably suicide by cop.
  • PigletPiglet All Saints Host, Circus Host
    I can't help thinking that if he'd asked a civilian to shoot him and the civilian complied, he'd be looking at a lengthy stretch of jail time.