Please see Styx thread on the Registered Shipmates consultation for the main discussion forums - your views are important, continues until April 4th.

Heaven: Degree in Shipoffoolsology

la vie en rougela vie en rouge Purgatory Host, Circus Host
edited August 2021 in Limbo
The discussion of exam grades in hell generated this:
not speculate here on whether a degree in Shipoffoolsology would be a BSc or a BA... although I reckon we might have fun choosing the faculty. Presumably lectures would take place in the Aligator Lecture Theatre.

I suspect it would be a BS :wink:

I think this needs further exploration. What kind of degree is Shipoffoolsology? What's on the curriculum? What do you need to master to get a passing grade?

Comments

• Persistence? A thick skin?
  • BroJamesBroJames Purgatory Host
    There’s a technical 101 on Quoting, Linking and Coding. It doesn’t count towards the final award, but you have to pass it to qualify. (There’s also Advanced QLC for those who like that sort of thing, and for anyone wanting to take the integral Host and/or Admin modules. Alternatively they can be covered in a post-graduate diploma course.)
  • There's obviously a history class, which, if you weren't there, you may think isn't relevant, in the "history is bunk" kind of way.
  • alienfromzogalienfromzog Shipmate
    edited August 2020
  • BoogieBoogie Heaven Host
    Learning to use ITTWACW to good effect ...
  • Definitely a BS. Faculty are struggling since they have a well-established portfolio of modules on things like Atonement Theories and Biblical Inerrancy which are now proving unattractive to new entrants. It has been suggested that re-working existing materials for a new era ( Aulen's 'Christus Victor'; a non-binary critique and TULIP+, inclusivity and the acronym ) might serve as a workable marketing hook while the Dean contacts the unions and initiates a 90-day consultation period.
  • Boogie wrote: »
    Learning to use ITTWACW to good effect ...

I think a mandatory first year essay should be What is a Christian website anyway? or perhaps Where would Jesus browse?
  • All of the Acronyms course.

The history module should have an essey on "Who was Erin, anyway?"

A unit covering "Where to post what", "Hell calls" and an advonced unit on "crafting insults".

I feel there should be an options, but recommended, unit on "How to say sorry". Not everyone needs this, of course. I mean, I would have to take it several times.
  • How to mystery worship - including practical write-up.

Optional unit - popular pastimes on the ship
  • Bishops FingerBishops Finger Shipmate
    edited August 2020
    A course (in Russian) in the correct use of the Sacred Phrase - 'IS OUTRAGE!'
  • Extracurricular activities, which can be used for extra credit, include the annual Mornington Crescent tournament.
  • FirenzeFirenze Shipmate, Host Emeritus
    Candidates are advised to familiarise themselves with The Hunting of the Snark.
  • Group activities are called meets and usually occur at pubs.
  • Firenze wrote: »
    Candidates are advised to familiarise themselves with The Hunting of the Snark.

This, in order to avoid being envanished by Boojums (Booja?), aka Hosts and Admins...
    :flushed:

• Our Chaplaincy Studies degree had modules in tea making, explaining jokes, advanced argument and helping lost souls looking for places and people.

I think that there would definitely have to be modules on the Circus (optional) and understanding global figures of speech.
  • From experience I'd quite like some members to take a course in "Just because he's an atheist doesn't mean you have to try to convert him."
  • But...ITTWACW!
  • But...ITTWACW!

Well.... :smiley: the least they could do is form an orderly queue and compare notes. As it is it's like every one of them thinks they've got the special conversion juice, not realising that after a while an atheist has heard all of the variants.
  • NenyaNenya All Saints Host, Ecclesiantics & MW Host
    Stick close to your desk and never go to sea.
    And you all may be rulers of the Queen's navee
  • A course in “Ship abbreviations and the use thereof”, also “Ship jargon: To include a section on the correct use of rusty farm implements, and why do so many need their coats?”
    A PhD* is entry level qualification.

*Pedant holding Dictionary.
  • Firenze wrote: »
    A PhD* is entry level qualification.

*Pedant holding Dictionary.

Pfft. The true pedant has no need of such crutches.
    The Dictionary is of course the 1755 folio by Samuel Johnson AM, and is for use as a weapon not a crutch.
    edited August 2020
    /pedant alert/

I think you might mean MA, not AM (unless you refer to a chap who only functioned effectively before lunch...)
    /pedant alert/

I think you might mean MA, not AM (unless you refer to a chap who only functioned effectively before lunch...)

I give you the text of original title page:

A
    DICTIONARY
    of the
    ENGLISH LANGUAGE:
    in which
    The WORDS are deduced from their ORIGINALS,
    and
    ILLUSTRATED in their DIFFERENT SIGNIFICATIONS
    by
    EXAMPLES from the best WRITERS.
    To which are prefixed,
    A HISTORY of the LANGUAGE,
    and AN ENGLISH GRAMMAR.
    By SAMUEL JOHNSON, A.M.
    In TWO Volumes

• BroJamesBroJames Purgatory Host
    According to Professor Wik I. Pedia it can be either
    Magister Artium or Artium Magister; abbreviated MA or AM
  • I hang my pedantic head in shame, and stand corrected in the Dunce's Corner...
    :disappointed:
  • BoogieBoogie Heaven Host
    Priscilla wrote: »
    A course in “Ship abbreviations and the use thereof”, also “Ship jargon: To include a section on the correct use of rusty farm implements, and why do so many need their coats?”

🤣🤣🤣

• 'Hell 101: Metallurgy and Forging your own Heat-Resistant Underwear'

Alternative - 'Hitting the Target: Painting one on your own back and surviving the experience' (comes with pre-paid funeral plan for those who fail the module)
  • DafydDafyd Hell Host
    Advanced: why the Ship isn't as good as it was when I joined.
  • Why the previous software was better. And the software before that. (A dissertation module)

Appropriate use of the word "Fuck" in heaven, purgatory and hell.
  • How to spread concord and amity on the fora.

Tutor to be advised.
  • HugalHugal Shipmate
    Question 1
    If there is a Ship meet in the Kings Head pub, how long will it take them to drink it dry?
  • GIN and chocolate: comestibles and bribery in 21st century Shipdom
  • Hell calls: how to prepare the the fires and avoid being scorched.
  • NenyaNenya All Saints Host, Ecclesiantics & MW Host
    Priscilla wrote: »
    A course in “Ship abbreviations and the use thereof”, also “Ship jargon: To include a section on the correct use of rusty farm implements, and why do so many need their coats?”

I'm a relatively seasoned shipmate but have never understood the rusty farm implement thing, so if someone would care to explain...
  • Nenya wrote: »
    I'm a relatively seasoned shipmate but have never understood the rusty farm implement thing, so if someone would care to explain...

It was a favoured saying of Erin, of blessed memory.
  • jedijudyjedijudy Heaven Host
    And also Sarky Cow, if I recall correctly!
  • Right, then.... I've been around a while on Ship old and new, but... why are things like GIN, CHEESE, WINE so capitalised?
  • Right, then.... I've been around a while on Ship old and new, but... why are things like GIN, CHEESE, WINE so capitalised?
    I’ve always assumed it was to highlight their importance.
  • Yes, that is so. The same applies to CAKE...
    :grin:
  • Baptist TrainfanBaptist Trainfan Shipmate
    edited August 2020
    Firenze wrote: »
    [
    I give you the text of original title page:

A
    DICTIONARY
    of the
    ENGLISH LANGUAGE:
    in which
    The WORDS are deduced from their ORIGINALS,
    and
    ILLUSTRATED in their DIFFERENT SIGNIFICATIONS
    by
    EXAMPLES from the best WRITERS.
    To which are prefixed,
    A HISTORY of the LANGUAGE,
    and AN ENGLISH GRAMMAR.
    By SAMUEL JOHNSON, A.M.
    In TWO Volumes
    I didn't know there was a Welsh Assembly (Senedd) back then, nor that SJ was a member. The things you learn on this vessel ...

• Yes, that is so. The same applies to CAKE...
    :grin:
    Only Sarf of the Rivver ...

edited August 2020
    No, no - I'm sure they have CAKE in Embra...
    :confused:

(Nota bene - this is NOT a coded message to evil Russian agents)
  • HugalHugal Shipmate

(Nota bene - this is NOT a coded message to evil Russian agents)

It is a coded message to evil agents all over the world. Got you now BF
  • Curses! Foiled again! D*mn you, Moriarty!
    :confounded:

You're thinking of Dundee.

• Or Madeira.
  • I refuse to be drawn, now that my plans for World Domination, by means of CAKE, have been discovered.
    :disappointed: