Please see Styx thread on the Registered Shipmates consultation for the main discussion forums - your views are important, continues until April 4th.

Ship of Fools: St Thomas More, Scranton, Pennsylvania, USA

imageShip of Fools: St Thomas More, Scranton, Pennsylvania, USA

Forbidden coffee, incense-loving insects, all things done properly – what not to like?

Read the full Mystery Worshipper report here

Comments

• Nick TamenNick Tamen Shipmate
    edited August 2020
    Thanks for this interesting report. Nice to read about an Ordinariate church.

But regarding this part of the report:
    The bishop and the pastor administered communion in both kinds, on the tongue, each carrying an intinctorium and accompanied by an acolyte holding a patella.
    Were the acolytes maybe holding patinas? The only meaning I know of for patella is “knee cap.”
  • Gee DGee D Shipmate
    I'd assumed that it was a particular piece of equipment with that shape! (Not seriously, of course). Interesting to have a report of an Ordinariate church. I don't know of many here - 3 or 4 in NSW, and small numbers in other States. Most of those joining would have been from churches which had already broken away from the traditional Anglican structure.
  • It is indeed a patina. The Latin word "patella" means "dish" and, I suppose, the word was applied to the kneecap because of the general appearance of that bone.

I should have fact-checked while editing the report, but knowing Latin, I assumed that "patella" would describe the plate held under the communicant's chin. I should have known better. I'll edit the report.
  • I’m glad to know I wasn’t totally out in left field. Again.

Meanwhile, I have learned a new word: Intinctorium. I’m not sure how I’ll work it into conversation, but I will try.

• It was new to me too.
  • This was a new word for me also but I did see ciboria which would be intinctoria in a church in Riga,Latvia.
  • Ah, let's hear it for nominative plural neuter. :yum:
  • Gee DGee D Shipmate
    Ah, let's hear it for nominative plural neuter. :yum:

Now that takes us back over 60 years!
  • For the edification of those of us who have never come across this peculiar object:
    https://sites.google.com/site/olwservers/glossary/glossary-i/intinctorium
  • edited August 2020
    A very practical bit of tat!