Please see Styx thread on the Registered Shipmates consultation for the main discussion forums - your views are important, continues until April 4th.

Ship of Fools: St David's Cathedral, Pembrokeshire, Wales

imageShip of Fools: St David's Cathedral, Pembrokeshire, Wales

Organ drowns out cantor, dog (almost) eats sermon – and a big surprise!

Read the full Mystery Worshipper report here

Comments

• Dewi Sant, surely (though I am not a Welsh speaker).
  • Nor am I, but that's what I get for not fact-checking. :anguished:

I'll make the correction.
  • Alan29Alan29 Shipmate
    I have very fond memories of that place because decades ago my university choir sang Choral Evensong (in English) there for a week. The precentor didn't know the sung responses we were using so I stepped into his shoes, despite being RC. I went back a couple of Easters ago for Easter Morning Eucharist. Grand mix of languages, English, Latin (Choral Mass - not a very nice setting by Langlais) and lots of Welsh as is only proper. Polyglot service book. It was packed solid. We took a look at the shrine to Dewi, as my wife contributed - her Grandfather was a Cardiff lawyer who was part of the team that framed the legislation that disestablished the Church of Wales.
  • @Urganda - please would you explain what you mean by *schism*, as in this sentence:

The schism between Celtic and Roman, Welsh and English, local and tourist, is as corrosive as ever.
  • Urganda reports that the gremlin that periodically blocks her from logging in has struck again. While she sorts it out, she begs me to tell you that she does know what a schism is and that she will reply as soon as she can get on-line again.
  • Thank you, Miss Amanda.

It's not a question requiring an urgent reply, by any means, and I think I might hazard a guess at the answer in any case, but I'm always interested to hear @Urganda's sometimes quirky 'take' on things ecclesiastical!
  • Schism: breach, rift, split. I love Wales and all things Welsh, but I am English, so I notice there is still a certain sensitiveness to invasion. The position of the Tudor tomb where the saint should be sums up the whole situation quite poignantly.
  • Thanks @Urganda - not sure that quite explains your remarks, but I think I see what you mean.