Please see Styx thread on the Registered Shipmates consultation for the main discussion forums - your views are important, continues until April 4th.

Birthdays and other anniversaries and significant dates

Comments

• PigletPiglet All Saints Host, Circus Host
    Happy Thanksgiving to all Canadian Shippies. :)
  • Dragonlet 3 arrived last night at 11:27. She weighed 8lb 11oz, and is feeding a lot.

Her big brother and sister are very excited about her arrival, especially No. 2 who wants to cuddle her all the time!
  • Oh, many congratulations! The best of news!
  • Congratulations!!

Welcome to the world, Dragonlet 3
  • Congratulations!!
    edited October 2020
    Congratulations, Pendragon, and welcome Dragonlet 3! :heart:
  • bassobasso Shipmate
    Congratulations and welcome!
  • jedijudyjedijudy Heaven Host
    Congratulations!!
  • DooneDoone Shipmate
    Congratulations 🎉🎊
  • Congratulations Pendragon and family! 💐
  • FirenzeFirenze Shipmate, Host Emeritus
    Pendragon wrote: »
    Dragonlet 3 arrived last night at 11:27. She weighed 8lb 11 oz

Apparently I was about 9lbs at birth, causing my mother to remark with considerable feeling many years later, when I said 'When I was small - ' 'You were never small!'

May she have a happy life and a lucky one.
  • Today Mr. S and I celebrate our 46th wedding anniversary *hooray*

I am NOT posting a picture...

We had a Zoom curry night on Saturday with 4 friends from Back Where We Used to Live - two of whom will celebrate their 35th anniversary today :smiley:
    Congratulations, Mr and Mrs S! :smile:
  • DooneDoone Shipmate
    Congratulations from me too 💐!
  • Congrats!
  • Thank you all - it appears that the 46th anniversary is the Strimmer Year, as that was what Mr S bought for me this morning...
  • HAPPY HALLOWEEN everyone!
  • We marked hallowe’en by eating mashed potatoes and treacle scones, which was the food of childhood hallowe’en parities. These were held in the garage, with car and bikes removed, which could be lit with neepy lanterns and was a good place to dook for apples and hang treacle scones. At the parties the mashed tattles had sixpences hidden in them.

I see from social media that my daughter marked it by dressing her flatmates and herself up in her old hallowe’en costumes from High School parties and going to the supermarket to get their weekly shop!
    Some of the staff in Tesco's were in costumes yesterday.
  • Today is Remembrance Sunday in the UK.

At the going down of the sun, and in the morning, we will remember them.🕯
    Amen.

And (in this corner of the kingdom anyway), as is traditional, it's dull, grey and wet.
  • In my corner we can still gather at memorials, (with distancing). I am three down and one to go. I usually moan about this, but this year it is a privilege, and I am making the point that we are in a sense doing it on behalf of all those who may not.
  • Today is Veteran's Day in the US, so to all the veterans on the ship, a happy Veteran's Day, and thank you.
  • bunnywithanaxebunnywithanaxe Admin Emeritus
    It’s my birthday today. Best present so far is a certain non- concession concession. 😁
    Many happy returns, O wise bunny! :)
  • DooneDoone Shipmate
    Happy Birthday 🥳!
    Happy birthday, Bunny!!!
  • happy birthday bunny!
    Wishing my fellow Scots Shippies a happy St. Andrew's Day!
    Happy birthday in Heaven to David, who would have turned 65 today. :heartbreak:
  • DooneDoone Shipmate
    💔
  • To David🕯🎂
    Thank you!
  • The Giraffe is 19 today! 19!! (I feel so old.)
  • Happy birthday to the Giraffe!
    Many happy returns, Giraffe!
  • He’s a much happier Giraffe than this time last year, when he was stressing about going to S. Africa, and getting his visa on time (which he didn’t but he did love SA when he got there). Last birthday he didn’t have enough to to do. Today he is writing an essay, attending a virtual lecture and unsure if he has time to meet (outdoors) his best friend this evening. And much more cheerful!
  • MaryLouiseMaryLouise Shipmate, Host Emeritus
    ((Piglet's David))

And happy last year of his teens to the Giraffe who got to South Africa. I hope (when it is safer) that he comes back here again.
    Thanks, ML!
  • MaryLouise wrote: »
    ((Piglet's David))

And happy last year of his teens to the Giraffe who got to South Africa. I hope (when it is safer) that he comes back here again.

Oh, he would love to! As would his sister who was there a couple of years before him.
  • LydaLyda Shipmate
    ((Happy birthday to David))

And happy birthday to me. It's a quiet one. But at least me and mine are well.
  • bassobasso Shipmate
    Happy birthday to Lyda and David.
  • LydaLyda Shipmate
    Thank you, basso. I hope that you are fine. :smile:
    Happy birthday, Lyda! :smile:
  • 250 years ago today (probably) Ludwig van Beethoven was born. All sorts of celebrations had been planned this year, most of which have, of course, had to be cancelled or drastically changed.

I remember 50 years ago when I was at the height of my Beethoven idolatry. December 16th was a major feast day for me.

Alles Gute zum Geburtstag*, Ludwig!

(*All the best on your birthday.)
    I'm with you, Pigwidgeon!
    Fifty years ago, my picture was taken for the yearbook and captioned "Happy birthday, Beethoven" when he was a mere 200 years old. I was playing the school organ in the picture. It would have been better on the piano, but I understand Ludwig did play church organ, so I guess it was OK!

Time does fly!
  • JapesJapes Shipmate
    Happy 250th, Lugwig!

One of the nice things for me about being confined to home so, so much more than I have been accustomed to, has been the huge amount of Radio 3 I've listened to much more intentionally rather than just being on in the background as I've worked, and especially the anniversary Beethoven programmes and music.

There was a Google Doodle quiz for Beethoven's 245th which I enjoyed with my students! Several of them appreciated the cleverness of it, even if they were less interested in the music... but they quite surprised themselves how much they actually knew.

I'm off to play all the Beethoven in my piano repertoire, so that's today's time when I'm not in a virtual classroom sorted. Then send a message to my 2 piano students to do the same. Well, to practise the pieces by Beethoven they are each learning right now.
  • I wonder how many people get married in church on Christmas Day? We did, 48 years ago.
    Happy anniversary!
  • DooneDoone Shipmate
    Happy Anniversary!