Please see Styx thread on the Registered Shipmates consultation for the main discussion forums - your views are important, continues until April 4th.

Ship of Fools: Christ Church, Clifton, Bristol, England

imageShip of Fools: Christ Church, Clifton, Bristol, England

The Invisible Man enjoys the sermon but little else in this very unfriendly church

Read the full Mystery Worshipper report here

Comments

• I’m not sure why people need more than a general welcome at the beginning of a church service. Are they looking for circus clowns doing backflips and cartwheels throughout the sanctuary all the while screaming welcome, welcome!?!?
  • DooneDoone Shipmate
    No, but a friendly smile and introduction from a couple of people should surely be the norm?
  • There's a world of difference between (1) being either stared at or ignored; (2) being greeted with a "Good morning, glad you could come;" and (3) "Oh, we're so happy to see you. Step right over to this table and sign up for every group we have. Give us your address and phone number." Personally I've never witnessed circus clowns doing backflips and cartwheels throughout the sanctuary all the while screaming welcome, welcome, but it would come close to the latter, if you ask me.
  • Ebenezer HampshireEbenezer Hampshire Shipmate Posts: 2
    How very, very sad to read this. Having just watched a "service" on their YouTube channel, things have clearly deteriorated since your Reporter visited. What I saw looked more like "Britain's Got [not much] Talent" with the church staff acting (and yes, I do mean acting) as the judges and MCs rather than reverential worship of Almighty God and any serious theological teaching. Here sadly is a church masquerading as "evangelical" when in reality it seems to be little more than empty vessels making too much noise. (PS: In much happier days, under previous and godly leadership, I was married here. That's why it's so sad to see this.)
  • Welcome aboard @Ebenezer Hampshire !

At the risk of Hostly Admonition, as it's nothing to do with this MW Report, one of our local parishes has recently gone down the same road.

A *Sarum Use* Parish Eucharist has been replaced by the *Vicar Show*, with no servers, vestments, traditional hymns, or reverence - but presumably this is all with the approval of the PCC and the remaining congregation...

OTOH, Christ Church Clifton may be more welcoming to strangers these days, and that would be an improvement!