Please see Styx thread on the Registered Shipmates consultation for the main discussion forums - your views are important, continues until April 4th.

Birthdays and other anniversaries and significant dates

Comments

• Apparently it was a popular date in the days before paid leave as one didn't have to miss work for a wedding. (I think it was the Church Times that has had some correspondence about mass Christmas weddings recently.)

Happy anniversary
  • DooneDoone Shipmate
    Pendragon wrote: »
    Apparently it was a popular date in the days before paid leave as one didn't have to miss work for a wedding. (I think it was the Church Times that has had some correspondence about mass Christmas weddings recently.)

Happy anniversary

Yes, doing some ancestry research some years ago, I thought it was very romantic that quite a few of my agricultural labourer ancestors got married on Christmas Day. That is, until I read later that that was the only day guaranteed off with the boss’s permission and without loss of pay!
  • PigletPiglet All Saints Host, Circus Host
    Christmas Day wasn't actually a public holiday in Scotland until the mid-1950s.

My parents (and my in-laws) got married near the end of March: I understand it was something to do with the tax year running from the 5th of April and how long you'd be taxed as a married man.
  • Congratulations!

One of my local heroines got married on Christmas Day 1884. She was the headmistress of a public elementary school. She gave the school a discretionary Christmas Day holiday, wrote to her employers, the School Board, informing them of her forthcoming marriage on Christmas Eve, got married on Christmas Day, and was back at her desk on Boxing Day.

On 26th Dec she wrote in the school log book "“Work continuing as usual according to timetable. School closed yesterday on occasion of Headmistress’ marriage.”
    She's quite rightly a heroine!
  • Hi folks. I was 50 today. That went quick :smile:
  • Happy birthday @mark_in_manchester!
    Many happy returns, M-in-M! :)
  • I tied the knot as they say with Mr. Image 54 years ago today.
  • MaryLouiseMaryLouise Shipmate, Host Emeritus
    Happy birthday, @mark_in_manchester!

Congrats on 54 years of marriage, @Graven Image
    Congratulations, Graven and Mr. Image! :)
  • DooneDoone Shipmate
    Congratulations!
  • TheOrganistTheOrganist Shipmate
    edited January 2021
    Today is the 39th birthday of the Duchess of Cambridge - happy birthday Catherine.
    Many happy returns to her indeed!
  • Hi folks. I was 50 today. That went quick :smile:

A bit late with greetings, young man, but happen to have just been reminded elsewhere that old engineers never die; they just lose their bearings...
  • On 15th January 1535 Henry VIII was proclaimed supreme head of the Church of England, removing the English from papal authority.
    I wouldn't call myself an apologist for old Harry, but it did lead to the composition of some rather good music ... :smiley:
  • We think alike on that one! Plus it led to the invention of the non-monastic cathedral choir.
    Absolutely! :heart:
  • FirenzeFirenze Shipmate, Host Emeritus
    My birthday today. Had it been yesterday, I could have played that well-known folk song 'Seventy-one Come Sunday'.
    Many happy returns! :)
  • MaryLouiseMaryLouise Shipmate, Host Emeritus
    Belated happy birthday, Firenze!
  • DooneDoone Shipmate
    Happy Birthday, @Firenze!
  • bassobasso Shipmate
    Happy birthday!
  • Many happy returns, Firenze, and wishes that your birthday improves into an enjoyable day (as it doesn't sound much fun so far)
  • FirenzeFirenze Shipmate, Host Emeritus
    Thank you. A bottle of champers and a Penfold Chardonnay helped dull the pain.

Today 5 minutes of Polish plumber seems to have sorted the boiler (here's hoping it stays sorted).
  • The wonderful Dolly Parton is 75 today 🎂
  • edited January 2021
    A year younger than me . . . and she looks a great deal better! :smile:
    If I looked that well now, I'd be well chuffed, and I'm only 58.
  • jedijudyjedijudy Heaven Host
    Happy belated birthday, Firenze...and to the rest of the Birthday Quartet. Rossweisse is one of the quartet and I hope she had a happy, pain-free celebration in Heaven!
  • Today is the anniversary of the founding of the Sydney Cove penal colony in 1788.

On a lighter note, Happy Birthday to Andrew Ridgeley of Wham! - 58 today.
    Happy birthday in Heaven to my dad, who would have been 96 today. :heart:
    (((Piglet))) <3
    Thanks, JJ!
  • Piglet wrote: »
    Happy birthday in Heaven to my dad, who would have been 96 today. :heart:

Another on the 6th? Clearly a good man - I took over where he left off!
  • And I joined in! Belated happy mutual birthday @Stercus Tauri .
    Happy birthday to you both!
    Thinking of my brother-in-law, who died 12 years ago today, the day after his 56th birthday.

RIP, R, who was probably the nicest man on the planet. :heartbreak:
  • DooneDoone Shipmate
    Happy Birthday @Piglet 🎉
    Thank you! :)
    Things happen in my family in February: today I'm thinking of my dad, who died three years ago.
  • We have 5 birthdays coming up between now and Friday 😯
    We used to have five birthdays in February, but now just two; we now have two "in memoriam" days, as my brother-in-law and my father both died within days of their birthdays - my b-i-l the day after his, and my father a week after his.
    (((Piglet and family)))
    Thanks, JJ!
  • HuiaHuia Shipmate
    Tomorrow is the 10th anniversary of the mag 6.3 quake that flattened 80% of the CBD here in Christchurch and killed 185 people. Thousands were injured. I intend getting up early so I can put a bunch of white roses in a road cone, which is one of the informal ways we mark the anniversaries. There will be a civic gathering at the earthquake memorial that will be livestreamed so family members of international students can take part. Many of those who died were in one building where there was an International Language School.

It's weird - in some ways it feels like it was a long time ago, in others it feels like it was only last year. I remember being surprised that the seasons and the phases of the moon continued on their usual way, when so much else had changed. Also the over 10,000 aftershocks and related earthquakes that continued that year made life challenging.

I also remember with gratitude the support I got from various Shipmates. Thank-you all.
    {{{Huia and the people of Christchurch}}}
  • {{Huia and the people of Christchurch}}}
  • ((Huia and all affected by the earthquakes))