Please see Styx thread on the Registered Shipmates consultation for the main discussion forums - your views are important, continues until April 4th.

Ship of Fools: Downtown Presbyterian, Nashville, Tennessee, USA

imageShip of Fools: Downtown Presbyterian, Nashville, Tennessee, USA

Not locusts and honey, but a holy meal served by a holy host

Read the full Mystery Worshipper report here

Comments

• Nick TamenNick Tamen Shipmate
    edited December 2020
    Thanks for this report, Miss Amanda! It provided just the smile and lift I needed today.

In case anyone is interested and didn’t see it in the other thread recently, the, as you say, “wildly colorful interior … awash in Egyptian motifs” can be seen here.

A cousin of mine was a minister at Downtown Pres some decades ago. When he first accepted the call there, he sent my parents a postcard showing that interior, much like the picture I linked to. On the other side he wrote simply “This is my new office. Ain’t it purty?” :lol:

And I really like the line that “John the Baptist invites us to a dinner table where the host is our meal.”

• Nick Tamen wrote: »
    I really like the line that “John the Baptist invites us to a dinner table where the host is our meal.”
    Me too.

• Gee DGee D Shipmate
    Agreed. It brings you up with a jolt.
  • LydaLyda Shipmate
    I'm sorry. I understand the theology, but it reminds me of the Meat of the Day at the Restaurant at the End of the Universe.
  • Lyda wrote: »
    I'm sorry. I understand the theology, but it reminds me of the Meat of the Day at the Restaurant at the End of the Universe.
    :lol: Yes, I can see that.

But to me it brought to mind George Herbert’s “Love (III).”

• Yes indeed. One of the finest Christian poems ever written. Thank you @Nick Tamen.
  • Gee DGee D Shipmate
    Indeed - it's years since either of us read that, but it really does deserve a place in a special liturgy
  • Gee D wrote: »
    Indeed - it's years since either of us read that, but it really does deserve a place in a special liturgy
    Especially when sung to Vaughan Williams’ exquisite setting.

• Gee DGee D Shipmate
    Many thanks for that - we'd never heard that before, but it's an excellent setting and a beautiful rendition.
  • Glad to introduce you to it. It’s the third of Vaughan Williams’ Five Mystical Songs, which comprises settings of four George Herbert poems. (One—“Easter”—is divided between the first and second songs.) The fourth song, “The Call,” has long been one of my favorite pieces to sing.

• Lovely, but let's not have this thread wander too far from the service in question at Downtown Presbyterian.

@Amanda B Reckondwyth
    Lead Editor, Mystery Worship