Where shipmates come from

On the Old Ship when I was just a lurker I found it helpful to see where posters came from as it sometimes helped me assess and understand better what people were saying.
Now I think we can't know this?
Please don't shoot me down for saying this - it's not as if I was thinking "Huh! What do you expect from an American/Canadian/NZ-er/Scandinavian?"
I guess if it can't be included then so be it, but I just thought I'd ask.

Comments

• Tree BeeTree Bee Shipmate
    When a shipmate commented along those lines a few years ago, those of us of a contrary nature amended our location to something rather more cryptic, just for fun, don't you know? It made no difference, so I'm guessing that's why it hasn't survived the transition.
  • MiffyMiffy Shipmate
    Yes, over the years I’ve been found in the study, the kitchen and on my physiotherapist’s couch.
  • Doc TorDoc Tor Hell Host
    Well, when two shipmates love each other very much, they give each other a special hug, and ... that's where shipmates come from.
  • Amanda B ReckondwythAmanda B Reckondwyth Mystery Worship Editor
    The stork brought us. You mean you didn't know . . . ?
  • The information is available as a profile option, but it doesn’t pull through to individual posts.
  • BoogieBoogie Shipmate
    I’ve always been from Boogie Wonderland :naughty:
  • MiffyMiffy Shipmate
    My finger automatically moved towards an imaginary “like” button. Oh, the shame.
  • Miffy wrote: »
    My finger automatically moved towards an imaginary “like” button. Oh, the shame.

Yeah, we got rid of those pretty early in the testing. Because we still hate them.
  • RossweisseRossweisse Shipmate, Hell Host
    edited March 2018

Yeah, we got rid of those pretty early in the testing. Because we still hate them.

Thank you!

• Yeah, we got rid of those pretty early in the testing. Because we still hate them.
    :+1:
  • HedgehogHedgehog Shipmate
    The stork brought us.
    Hmph! Typical magical religious thinking! Science has conclusively proven that we come from the cabbage patch!
  • BoogieBoogie Shipmate
    :+1:

Hehe. This was the point my itchy finger mover to the phantom like button
  • Third planet from the sun.

Hehe. This was the point my itchy finger mover to the phantom like button
    We told you there were invisible buttons.

• Tree Bee wrote: »
    When a shipmate commented along those lines a few years ago, those of us of a contrary nature amended our location to something rather more cryptic, just for fun, don't you know? It made no difference, so I'm guessing that's why it hasn't survived the transition.

I was one of the many to make my location more cryptic following that discussion - Internet safety and all that, y'know.
  • rufikirufiki Shipmate
    Doc Tor wrote: »
    Well, when two shipmates love each other very much, they give each other a special hug, and ... that's where shipmates come from.

My parents are here?

Where is the :paranoid: emoticon when you need it?
  • bongowoman wrote: »
    On the Old Ship when I was just a lurker I found it helpful to see where posters came from as it sometimes helped me assess and understand better what people were saying.
    Now I think we can't know this?
    Please don't shoot me down for saying this - it's not as if I was thinking "Huh! What do you expect from an American/Canadian/NZ-er/Scandinavian?"
    I guess if it can't be included then so be it, but I just thought I'd ask.
    Aside from the privacy issues; where someone is located, is from, has been and what they have learned in those places can be very different things. Add in the barriers between being so much thinner now and I am not certain that a location field gives a much info as you might feel.
  • I'm another person who can sometimes find it helpful to know where a poster is from. Since wherever (or whenever) the person wishes to lay claim to is in the profile, I can see why it doesn't have to be on every post. I'll also miss the witty ones.

We are a community, and if you get to know people you can usually work out roughly where they come from at some point anyway, even if it's just by which weather they complain about and when!
  • rufiki wrote: »

My parents are here?

It would be interesting to see how many Shipmates are the product of two other Shipmates. I know of at least one...
  • Or one. My daughter was on the Old Ship, as Curious Kitten, but has chosen not to move across (another dyslexic struggling to read this font).
  • Thank you all - enlightening and made me laugh.
  • RuthRuth Admin Emeritus
    lilbuddha wrote: »
    ... where someone is located, is from, has been and what they have learned in those places can be very different things. Add in the barriers between being so much thinner now and I am not certain that a location field gives a much info as you might feel.
    Sure, but it still tells you something. And some people don't move much. Me, for instance. I don't know how helpful it is to know that I've lived in California almost my whole life, but it at least explains why I'm given to addressing people as "dude."
  • Addressing people as dude is something I picked up from watching films. So...
  • PantsPants Shipmate
    Mine always said useful things like 'The Stables', 'A Cottage', which I thought lots of others had similar too. Surely that's the joy of somewhere like this... we don't know!
  • AnnieDAnnieD Shipmate
    Eutychus wrote: »
    rufiki wrote: »

My parents are here?

It would be interesting to see how many Shipmates are the product of two other Shipmates. I know of at least one...

Our children are too young... you'll just have to wait another 6 years. And then he'll have to find the place!

Just an aside, I did like having my custom (I would pay again) avatar description (ship's galley maid). I'd have to change it though, since I my career has ceased to be linked with food. Suppose those have gone too?
  • LothlorienLothlorien All Saints Host
    Pants wrote: »
    Mine always said useful things like 'The Stables', 'A Cottage', which I thought lots of others had similar too. Surely that's the joy of somewhere like this... we don't know!

I had a phrase girt by sea from our anthem. I was asked if I lived in Girt in US. Not something I would ever have considered researching.
  • sabinesabine Shipmate
    edited March 2018
    I live in the Heartland area of the US.....not the Canadian TV show, although I wouldn't mind visiting Alberta one if these days.

sabine
  • RossweisseRossweisse Shipmate, Hell Host
    I would also like to see the custom avatar descriptions return, said the erstwhile High Church Valkyrie.
  • I've put mine in my profile.
  • RuthRuth Admin Emeritus
    Addressing people as dude is something I picked up from watching films. So...

Do you do it on the Ship? And do you address inanimate objects as "dude"?
  • NicoleMRNicoleMR Shipmate
    I used to say New York City in my location. Then, the day after 9/11, one of the city newspapers had as a headline "The City Carries On", and I thought that was so apropos I added it to my location in quotes. After some years had passed, I thought maybe it was no longer so apropos, but I could never bring myself to change it.
  • Ruth wrote: »
    Addressing people as dude is something I picked up from watching films. So...

Do you do it on the Ship?
    I've done it on the Ship. Speaking in vernacular, much as I do it in person, feels strange online. Not sure why. Though I am trying to change that.
    Dude, BTW, is not limited in usage to California, nor even to America.
    And do you address inanimate objects as "dude"?
    There you have me, madam, I did not know that was a thing.
  • Dunno about inanimate objects, but I definitely address men, women, and dogs as "dude." Mostly when they befuddle me. I'm also originally from California.
  • Jesus of Nazareth, King of the Dudes (because ITTTWACW) :wink:
  • UrfshyneUrfshyne Shipmate
    I was told that I came from my mummy's tummy. Ugh! Yucky!
  • Lily PadLily Pad Shipmate
    edited March 2018
    Or one. My daughter was on the Old Ship, as Curious Kitten, but has chosen not to move across (another dyslexic struggling to read this font).

I'm having so much trouble with it that I am wondering if I might have dyslexia! Sorry, I don't mean to trivialize dyslexia but it is really hard to read. Editing to apologize for the tangent and then not at least posting in keeping with the thread. Anyone who doesn't know yet would assume I must be Canadian. :blush:
  • AnnieD wrote: »
    Just an aside, I did like having my custom (I would pay again) avatar description (ship's galley maid). I'd have to change it though, since I my career has ceased to be linked with food. Suppose those have gone too?

Sadly yes. As you can see, we do have the capacity to assign posters to different roles (Shipmate/Admin/Board Host/etc), but to do so we have to actually create the role and assign posting/editing privileges to it. That's a lot more work than simply typing a phrase into a textbox as we did on UBB!Ship.

Long story short, we have neither the time nor inclination to create a separate role for each individual poster just so that it can show a different bit of text at the top of their posts. If a plugin can be found that enables such bits of text to be added more easily then I'm sure we'll be prepared to consider it. In the meantime, feel free to use the "About" section of your profile as @Eutychus says.
  • And re: the "I would pay again" comment. The Floating Fund still exists.
  • sabine wrote: »
    I live in the Heartland area of the US.....not the Canadian TV show, although I wouldn't mind visiting Alberta one if these days.

sabine

I'd suggest waiting until summer for that visit.
  • No. Go in winter. Bring skis.
  • aliehsaliehs Shipmate
    Did I say I lived in Geelong? 75 kms from Melbourne, and rapidly becoming subsumed by the wannabees moving for a sea change, or a bush change? House prices are cheaper here. And there's a brilliant commuter train service which breaks down every day, and a super highway that is clogged at the Melbourne end Lovely place but windy.