Please see Styx thread on the Registered Shipmates consultation for the main discussion forums - your views are important, continues until April 4th.

American Renegade Nuns?

Perhaps I'm just failing to Google accurately, but I'd appreciate information about a group of American RC nuns who are actively trying to push forward on female participation in the Mass, the end goal being the priesthood. I recall hearing of them a couple years ago. Apparently, they quite rebelliously (and, to nail my colours to the mast, bully for them!) administer communion. I heard that, when travelling as a group, they use a yellow school bus! What a great image.

Any information would be appreciated.

Comments

• finelinefineline Shipmate, Host Emeritus
    From googling nuns on a yellow bus, I find this, which looks like it could be what you’re looking for?
  • IIRC, there are a number of groups within the RCC advocating (inter alia) the priesting of women.

Sorry about the pong of Dead Horse, but it would be interesting to know (if possible) how entrenched this sort of thing is in the RCC.

My Aunt S., a devout Catholic from Kerala, India, is a firm supporter of female participation in all aspects of RCC life, and I suspect is by no means unique in this.

IJ
  • finelinefineline Shipmate, Host Emeritus
    I know quite a few Catholic nuns, from different orders, who also think women should be able to be ordained. I don’t think I actually know any who don’t believe this - it’s the priests who seem to oppose it.
  • fineline wrote: »
    I know quite a few Catholic nuns, from different orders, who also think women should be able to be ordained. I don’t think I actually know any who don’t believe this - it’s the priests who seem to oppose it.

Hmm. No surprise there, perhaps.

Apologies again for the Odour Of Decaying Equines....

IJ

• sabinesabine Shipmate
    There is this.

http://romancatholicwomenpriests.org/index.htm

Not necessarily nuns. I happen to know a woman priest ordained in this tradition. They claim that they are not outside of apostolic succession, and I don't wish to discuss that--although I suspect someone will.
  • Nuns have always been very pro-women in my experience. I do not take the position of Father Jack Hackett in Father Ted with respect to nuns.
  • sabine wrote: »
    There is this.

http://romancatholicwomenpriests.org/index.htm

Not necessarily nuns. I happen to know a woman priest ordained in this tradition. They claim that they are not outside of apostolic succession, and I don't wish to discuss that--although I suspect someone will.
    Anybody can hang out a shingle and say "Look at us! We're Catholic!" But if the Pope doesn't recognize them, they're just another heretical wannabe church.
  • Barnabas62Barnabas62 Shipmate, Host Emeritus
    I am sure this is a Dead Horses thread (the role of women in the church) and am arranging to have it moved.

Barnabas62
    Purgatory Host
  • Golden KeyGolden Key Shipmate, Glory
    Possibly useful:

Women Priests dot org
    This is a *really* good site, both for disagree-ers who are willing to at least look at some research, and agree-ers who need to know they're not alone.. I recommend using the Site Map, found in the Menu section of the top nav bar. The Introduction (in the Home section) is a good overview. Haven't been to the site in some time. Good to see it again.

Maybe 20 years ago or so, I was in a group called "Woman Church" or "Women Church". (IIRC, though I can't find it online, so far. Maybe the name's changed.) It was national or international. I participate in a women's house church. We had a small group, maybe 8 women. We'd do women-friendly liturgies--some we found, some we created. It did me a world of good, especially when I got to put together a liturgy myself. I ran into a problem, though: I was an excited happy newbie. The other women had been together for a long time, had worked through their relevant issues, and were ready to move on--they just hadn't figured out to *where* or *what*. Most were nuns and/or therapists, which was rather daunting as a laywoman!

Long ago, I read news of women ordained RC priests in Romania, of all places. IIRC, it was during very bad times, and there were few male priests. So some women were secretly ordained, and told not to talk about it afterwards. I think they had secret house churches. Apologies for not providing a link. Ongoing computer and connection problems, and I can't retrieve anything right now.
This discussion has been closed.