Please see Styx thread on the Registered Shipmates consultation for the main discussion forums - your views are important, continues until April 4th.

Today I Consign To Hell -the All Saints version

PigletPiglet All Saints Host, Circus Host
This is Today I Consign To Hell, the All Saints version.

We've been tossing this idea round in the Hosts' lounge for a wee while now, so here it is.

If you have a grouse or a grump, or next door's cat is getting on your nerves, or even if you're just really hacked off about something, tell us here.

Just one topic per post, please, and while responses of support and advice are OK (this is AS after all), if a particular topic becomes a bit overwhelming, we may suggest it gets its own thread. Please remember, too, that All Saints rules apply, so no personal attacks on Shipmates.

Have at it!
Tagged:

Comments

• By hook or by crook....

TICTH our Churchwarden and her partner (our Treasurer) who delight in passive-aggressive emails, blaming everyone else for the (largely unnecessary) overwork they've heaped upon themselves, and treating everyone who dares to disagree with them as an ignorant dummy.

They act in such an unpleasant way towards otherwise willing helpers that no-one wants to work with them any more, and people are beginning to walk away from our already small congregation.

I avoid them like the plague, in case I erupt into Levetiracetam-induced rage*. I take a hefty dose daily of Levetiracetam (aka Keppra) as an anti-seizure medication.

(*This is a rare neurobehavioral adverse effect of Levetiracetam, characterized by seething rage, uncontrollable anger, fits of fury, depression, violence, and suicidal tendencies. I have had a couple of bouts of this within the past year or so.)

:rage:

IJ
  • TICTH the bright spark who locked their bike to mine with an enormous lock. Luckily, they locked it to my carrier rather than the frame, so I could unbolt it and get home, but I still have to hope that they've unlocked it, left the carrier, and no other bugger has nicked it...
  • RooKRooK Shipmate
    #TICTH
    Having discovered the perfect way to maximize aesthetic readability for my personal preferences, then discovering that my paranoid employer won't let it function at work. What do they expect me to do? My job?!?
  • Other people. I should pray for them but for now I shall stick to practical stuff and try to avoid getting caught in the crossfire
  • RossweisseRossweisse Hell Host, 8th Day Host, Glory
    RooK wrote: »
    #TICTH
    Having discovered the perfect way to maximize aesthetic readability for my personal preferences, then discovering that my paranoid employer won't let it function at work. What do they expect me to do? My job?!?

The nerve!

1. Vaseline*: it may well give softness and blur as a camera filter but I'd prefer not to be looking at the world through glasses acting as soft filters, the rainbows cascading from the smears on my phone or using it as an unattractive hair gel.
    2. Cooking and eating with an impaired sense of smell: food is varying from soft, bland and tasteless to tasting of whatever I have tried spicing it with, apparently - last night's stir fry I overdid the coriander (cilantro). Me, I can't tell.
    3. Having to plan to move† - my delightful neighbour has a legal right to her flat until she is convicted. If she pleads not guilty, she can come back home on bail. So to keep us safe, we have to move.
    * Vaseline needs applying to facial burns 3 or 4 times a day and spreads everywhere.
    † I'll go chunter about this on the moving thread .
  • JacobsenJacobsen Shipmate
    Smeariness is not nice, as my glasses prove several times a day. But I'm glad that there is something which you can apply to the burns, Curiosity. That's two separate comments with no intention of suggesting that you look on the bright side - just relief on your behalf. And even so, it can't be easy.
  • Apologies Piglet and Lothlorien, I have just read the bit that says only one issue per post. (Although the gripes are all connected.)
  • BoogieBoogie Heaven Host
    My TICTH is small but still makes me sad.

So I consign the East Wind, which destroyed my beautiful Rowan tree, to hell.

:cry:
  • Apologies Piglet and Lothlorien, I have just read the bit that says only one issue per post. (Although the gripes are all connected.)

We are still settling in to this too, even though it was first raised backstage a long time ago.

Apologies accepted as we get used to this.

• Doc TorDoc Tor Admin Emeritus
    I find adulting a real stretch some days, so when people ask for non-existent paperwork and refuse to countenance alternatives with the exact same information... yeah, Student Finance England, I'm looking at you. This the second day I've wasted on you.
  • agingjbagingjb Shipmate
    The extraordinary rule which apparently forbids further PSA tests if one is having medication for benignly expanded prostate.
  • That PSA rule in asinine. Or come to think of it, it's the digital exam that's asinine. The PSA test is analogue. (sorry, not sorry for that)
  • Not happy. My boss told me off this morning for addressing a client in French in an email I sent them, on which he was copied. The client is French and is in France, I thought it only good manners to start the email with French pleasantries, I always start the conversation in French if I have to call them.
  • Snow on pavements.
    Yes, the roads are clear, and some pavements are clear, but then you encounter an impassable - for a mobility scooter - mound of snow which means I have to risk my life on the roads.
    On second thoughts, maybe it should be snow in general I condemn to hell?
  • North East QuineNorth East Quine Purgatory Host
    Doc Tor, the Student Awards Agency Scotland was the same when we were applying for the North East Loon six years ago. I recall consigning them to Hell in the TICTH thread in Hell then.
  • The well-meaning parishioner who heads up a key task force and is always the one to give updates, whereupon our long-winded friend digresses into long, long, long tangents-- long narrative analogies to help explain truly simple concepts, accompanied by video clips and powerpoint charts, long completely unnecessary anecdotes full of needless name-dropping, even some tangents-within-tangents-- turning what could have been a 5 min. update into a 40 minute rambling monologue. All introduced with a deceptive teaser that had us all anticipating a Big Announcement to keep us held captive throughout the loooong long talk-- only to be disappointed and walk away with essentially no new developments.
  • Penny SPenny S Shipmate
    The GP, who said last week she would be in to review my guest's staph infection's response to the second antibiotic course this afternoon. The surgery says this would be between 1 and 5. It is now 5.30 ish. There were things I needed to go out and organise, but have had to hang around the place. I know they are busy, but....
  • mrs whibleymrs whibley Shipmate Posts: 36
    Roadworks. Not on my route to work, as I'd presumably benefit from those, but elsewhere, with traffic diverted onto 'my' route, so it now takes me an extra 20 minutes to get to work and an extra 10 home. I blame Hull being city of culture last year, as we were blessedly clear of them then, and there is presumably catching up to do.
  • TICTH the laryngitis/throat infection thing that's led to me having to cancel or absent myself from any number of work related stuff that Lent inevitably brings. And not knowing when I'll be fit - and audible - for work again. Messaged the elderly lady I was supposed to visit on Tuesday - though she hadn't picked it up ("I never look at my phone.") So she phoned me. I croaked back at her that I wasn't in good shape for visiting; infection, coughing, no voice etc. Pause. "So does that mean you're not coming after all?" At least, I think that's what she said. I was too busy wheezing and coughing like a sack of wet mud to properly hear her.
  • Immigration paperwork. Pages and pages and PAGES of immigration paperwork. Did I mention the number of pages?
  • PigletPiglet All Saints Host, Circus Host
    TICTH this horrid flu bug, which seems to be giving an encore after I thought it was on its way out. :(
  • FirenzeFirenze Shipmate, Host Emeritus
    Cold. Cold rooms. Scullery so cold that meat taken from the freezer first thing is not totally thawed by dinner time. Bedroom so cold the windows are gloomy with condensation. Never comfortable, always cold.
  • The children of the old lady (81) whose dogs I've been walking 3 times a week (minimum) for the past 2 years. (History: old dear is frail, has daily help in the house, can potter in her garden but can't cope with walking animals; this was meant to be a temporary solution after she became less mobile but...)

The lurcher died last week - old lady a bit upset but not overly: the dog was 14 and just fell asleep one evening and didn't wake up. Her daily help and I sorted out funerary rites in the garden and we both felt slightly guilty that our reaction was the one dog would be more manageable for everyone - old lady, daily and me. The only time the dogs get more than a brisk 20 minutes is when I take them for a (usually) 2 mile or more run.

Message on the ansaphone last night: the children would like to discuss with me their plan for mother's new dog, etc, etc, etc. When I called the daily I discovered they're thinking a puppy amd thought it could stay overnight with me or daily! Have told daily I'm not prepared to do it and she isn't either; further, we're going to suggest that they get a dog walking company from now on because, to be blunt, its a hell of a tie to have to gear Monday to Friday around walking someone else's animal.

Children of the old dear have told her that the daily and me are being unreasonable!
  • No, you're not. Dogs can be a real blessing, and a real bane.

Sorry, dog-owners...

(Are we allowed to comment on these posts....?)

IJ
  • anoesisanoesis Shipmate
    TITCH the [officious prick of a] security guard in our local mall who bristled up to myself and my children when we were less than five metres into the place, having been blown in on a freezing southerly, to insist that my [pint-sized] six-year old remove the hood of his jacket...yeah...he's about as close to a gangsta as you are to a genuine authority figure, matey...
    @TheOrganist Organist - and where were these children over the last two years while you were walking their mother's dogs? Their comment sounds like a case of projected guilt. :grimace:
    Tried to edit after posting and failed. Whaaaaa..... :anguished:
  • Penny SPenny S Shipmate
    She never came, the GP. OTOH, I managed to get some housework done that needed it.
  • HuiaHuia Shipmate
    anoesis wrote: »
    TITCH the [officious prick of a] security guard in our local mall who bristled up to myself and my children when we were less than five metres into the place, having been blown in on a freezing southerly, to insist that my [pint-sized] six-year old remove the hood of his jacket...yeah...he's about as close to a gangsta as you are to a genuine authority figure, matey...

The less power they have the more it goes to their heads - that being their weakest part.

The Organist - the arrogance and sense of entitlement from the children is mind boggling - I think Jacobsen has it right.

Huia

• Roadworks #2. I'm sure I mentioned this on t'owd Ship (the full-rigged one) but in addition to the line of three roundabouts that are being extensively altered on the western side of Newport there are now works underway on the main road going north of Newport and the main road east. Coupled with night time motorway closures that doesn't leave much and today, just to put the tin lid on it, the motorway was closed during the "rush" hour because of an accident.

One fine day there will be a proper southern relief road instead of these Band-Aid solutions

• passerpasser Shipmate Posts: 18
    TICTH the RC church. Pope Frankie is not looking so progressive since he settled into his role.

"Irish-born US cardinal Kevin Farrell, a senior Vatican official, said it was "not appropriate" for the women to be taking part in the conference."

Did he now, did he really? Quelle surprise.....

bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-43330026
  • Jacobsen/ Huia
    The children (both 50+) are both busy - as in I have an extremely stressful career and need my free weekends to keep up with friends and my children - so despite living less than 40 minutes away she only sees them about 3 times a year. After the old lady became incapable of doing her own housework it took 2 months for these children to accept that the daily needed to have someone else do her stuff on weekends...

I've tried hard not to be too judgmental but to me it looks and feels like selfishness on a grand scale.
    ... (Are we allowed to comment on these posts....?)
    Yes, although if one topic looks as if it's getting unwieldy, we might suggest a separate thread.

Piglet, AS host
    Snow. In March, when we don't need it. And on Thursday, when it threatens choir practice, which we do need.

I'll add my voice to those who think TheOrganist's neighbour's children are being unreasonable: if their mum can't cope with one dog, why in blazes are they talking about getting her another one?
  • Gath fach wrote: »
    Not happy. My boss told me off this morning for addressing a client in French in an email I sent them, on which he was copied. The client is French and is in France, I thought it only good manners to start the email with French pleasantries, I always start the conversation in French if I have to call them.

Common courtesy. Your boss is a dick.
  • MargaretMargaret Shipmate
    Our boiler. With perfect timing it went cold and silent about twenty minutes after we got home from a weekend away, and refused to be revived. Our call-out service finally sent someone round this lunchtime who prodded it about and declared it needed a new part - which would have to come from the manufacturers in Italy as they're running down stocks here, and they should be able to fit it, er, next Wednesday. Another six days of huddling over electric heaters and washing in cold water. Evil piece of scrap metal.
  • Have you checked to see if the condensate pipe has unfrozen?

Last week's Beast from the East affected many boilers thusly.

Just a thought.

IJ
  • MargaretMargaret Shipmate
    No, alas, it's not that - when we rang the (supposed) emergency service we subscribe to they suggested that. Some vital bit has seized up and nothing will bring it back to life until a replacement arrives from somewhere near Verona, sigh.
    Boilers never break down in the summer, do they? :(
  • North East QuineNorth East Quine Purgatory Host
    The man who had mugged up on the Suffragettes for an International Women's Day event, and assumed that if he hadn't known previously that there was only partial female suffrage in 1918, then I wasn't likely to know this either, and explained it to me.

I tried to steer the conversation round to my PhD subject, just to give him a hint that I do actually have a passing knowledge of Women's History, but he then explained my PhD to me, too.
    Is that what "mansplaining" is? :rage:
  • APWAPW Shipmate Posts: 46
    Gout. The gift that keeps on giving (since 15 January). And its medications, all of which I turn out to be allergic to (as I have discovered the hard way). You'd think being a vegetarian teetotaller would be useful for something, but no.
  • Open plan offices. Can't hear myself think here.
  • Men who refuse to go to the doctor when they need to. I love Mr Image and he is a good guy but getting him to look after his medical problems is like I am asking him to hang himself. When he finally goes of course it is much worse then if he had gone sooner.
  • "We use cookies to give you a better user experience, tailored just for you"

No. You. Don't

You use cookies to track me. You put so many cookies up that the web browser takes 2 minutes to load the page. And then the browser freezes up while it debates with you about your cookies about whether it is absolutely stuffed full and wants to vomit.

TICTH browser cookies. Come to think of it, The Internet too.
    APW wrote: »
    Gout. You'd think being a vegetarian teetotaller would be useful for something, but no.
    There's something deeply unfair about a TT veggie getting gout.
  • RossweisseRossweisse Hell Host, 8th Day Host, Glory
    passer wrote: »
    ..."Irish-born US cardinal Kevin Farrell, a senior Vatican official, said it was "not appropriate" for the women to be taking part in the conference."

Did he now, did he really? Quelle surprise.....

bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-43330026

That is highly disappointing, if not particularly surprising. Alas.

• JapesJapes Shipmate
    Cafes with computer controlled tills which will allow swapping of items for a set menu pre-11.30 a.m. but not 15 minutes later and which cannot be over-ridden.
  • Slobs who buy cheap plastic sleds as soon as half-an-inch of sn*w falls, and who then immediately leave the broken fragments anywhere on street, road, pavement, or grassy bank (the bl**dy things can't stand the weight of the Slobs' morbidly-obese offspring).

IJ