Here's tae us, wha's like us

Damn few and they're all deid. Like the past Scottish thread. People have been saying start one, so here is a thread for all things Scottish.
May I begin by saying what I dared not in the British thread, in the face of all the weather moans. Hasn't it been/isn't it being a lovely summer. A few weeks of heat in June and nice temperate weather with little rain, and most of that at night since! Fewer midges than usual. Good to be alive in Alba!

P.S. I will test the weather and the midges this Sunday when one of my churches hosts it's annual church and community picnic by the Lochside!

Comments

• I met a lovely Scottish couple (from Aberdeenshire if I remember) a few weeks ago who had driven from east to west across this land and back again. Delightful to talk to them.
  • The version I know goes "Here's tae us. Wha's like us? Gey few - and they're a' deid"
  • I like yours better - it's more polite!
  • Bishops FingerBishops Finger Shipmate
    edited August 2018
    Ma Uncle Wullie had fufteen wains - an' they're a' deid!

My late Ma's family came originally from Dumfriesshire, before emigrating to Ulster in the 19thC, but Ma went back to her roots, living in a tiny village near Thornhill for 17 years before her death in 2005.

Despite my eligibility for Irish citizenship (Ma's father was a Dubliner, though not quite of James Joyce's type), I still relate to my Scottish ancestry, and would happily apply for a Scottish passport, (a) should such things ever exist, and (b) should I be eligible for same.

I did seriously think of moving to Scotland some years ago, when various doors closed for me here, but it seems unlikely now.

BTW, I like haggis (but not neaps), and, of course, proper Scotch WHISKY is the best in the world. I also like Irn Bru.....
    :grin:

IJ
  • FirenzeFirenze Shipmate
    A neap is a tide. What you have with your tatties is a neep.

There will a test paper, come the Day (as come it will for a’ that).
    edited August 2018
    :blush:

Oops.

Perhaps, living on a tidal river as I do, I may be forgiven? We have neaps round about now...

I'll get ma bonnet.

IJ
  • Yes, it's been a glorious summer. Sunshine and enough rain to keep almost everything green, but not enough to encourage the grass to grow. I've had a summer devoid of mowing the lawn, and I've loved it!
  • You’d feel different, I guess, if you were relying on the cut grass to feed your livestock through the winter. (Though I too have been grateful for reduced lawn duties.)
  • PigletPiglet All Saints Host, Circus Host
    I've just been speaking to my sister, who's up in Orkney for a few days, and she says it's glorious up there - warm and sunny but not too hot.

Am I envious? Too bleedin' right! :frowning:
  • On the topic of the Scots passport... I seem to recall the SNP, before taking power the first time, saying that anyone in Scotland at the time of the Declaration of Independence would be eligible for a passport. I'd go just for that. I don't know that my great grandparents alone would help me clear the hurdle.

And, ah, Orkney. One of the happiest times of my life.
    And, ah, Orkney. One of the happiest times of my life.
    You and me both, PG! :smiley:
  • Many moons ago, when I was a green probationer minister, I was asked to peach for the nominating committee of Hoy and Flotta in a "neutral pulpit" - in this case Stromness. (As if there could be a neutral pulpit in Orkney, where everyone knows everything!) We had a great weekend in Orkney, but I did not accept their call to be sole nominee because it would have meant a weekly trip on the oil terminal launch between Hoy and Flotta on Sunday afternoons, and when they let me have a trial run, I was most decidedly sick!
    Orkney certainly isn't the place for those who suffer from the mal de mer!*

Hoy is absolutely stunning, and a lovely place to visit, but I can't say I blame you for not wanting to live there.

* sea-sickness
  • If we had to go back to the UK for whatever reason, I think we would be seriously tempted to relocate to Scotland - at least we know they're against Brex-shit.
    edited August 2018
    Albeit caught up, alas, in the fallout - but yes, Scotland is what might be classed as a Civilised Country.

The scenery is (in many parts) stunning.

The WHISKY is stunning (perhaps literally, after one or two too many wee drams, if that's not an oxymoron).

The language is stunningly beautiful and poetic, if rather difficult for a Sassenach to pick up....

There are lots of stunningly lovely ISLANDS to explore.

The midges are a bu**er, but there you go - nowhere's perfect.

I could go on....

IJ
  • FirenzeFirenze Shipmate
    God is outlining his plans for creating Scotland to an archangel. ‘The scenery will be magnificent. It will have green and wooded lowlands, majestic mountains, islands like jewels. Moreover, the wildlife will be splendid: salmon will teem in the rivers and eagles soar above the glens. And - and the land will yield a drink that will gladden the heart -‘
    ‘Forgive me, Lord, but is this not too much for one people?’
    ‘Ah, you haven’t seen the Neighbours’.
  • :lol:

O, well said....
    :mrgreen:

IJ
  • I went to see The Scottish Diaspora Tapestry today. There is far too much to take in in one visit. It is visually stunning, but it also conveys a message about the movement of people. It primarily celebrates the contribution made by Scots to the world, but there are panels celebrating the arrival of immigrants to Scotland. The panels tell big stories and little stories. It's going to take several visits to absorb it all.
    Where is it, NEQ?
  • It's been touring Scotland. It's currently in the Garioch Heritage Society in Inverurie. I'm hoping to go again later this week with my Beloved God-daughter. The North East Man is currently furth of Scotland, but I hope to make a third visit with him when he comes home. Today I focussed on the panels which depicted women, and the Australian panels.
  • Re: the Scottish Diaspora.

I think that I recommended it on the Old Ship: there is a novel, by Alastair MacLeod, No Great Mischief, which deals with the clearances, immigration to Cape Breton Island, and thence to northern Ontario. Cape Breton looks a great deal like the forested parts of Scotland (especially in a mist), and was one of the last redoubts of native Gaelic speakers. At least until the 1970s, there were still Catholic masses in Gaelic, and Gaelic still inflects the argot to an extent.

Piglet: I have to tell you, that I went to Orkney because in university I used the Orkneyinga Saga as a source material, having read it previously as a teenager. I've even crawled through the passage to the ossuary of Maes Howe! Hiked from Stromness to Skara Brae and back with my hostess's hyper-intelligent border collie (clever lad, that Bobbie). Got drunk at the St Olaf in Kirkwall. I once had a conversation with George Mackay Brown. The mere mention of Orkney brings back nothing but the happiest of memories.
    I've been known to get less than sober in the St. Ola ... :blush:

Rather you than me going right into the chambers at Maeshowe though!

We were offered the opportunity to crawl into them when we had the obligatory school trip to Maeshowe and Skara Brae in Primary 4, and the thought scared me rigid. Not so much because of the contents, as the cramped nature of the spaces - even though I was considerably smaller than I am now, the idea of getting stuck was enough to send me scuttling back along the entrance passage pronto.
  • KarlLBKarlLB Shipmate
    Albeit caught up, alas, in the fallout - but yes, Scotland is what might be classed as a Civilised Country.

The scenery is (in many parts) stunning.

The WHISKY is stunning (perhaps literally, after one or two too many wee drams, if that's not an oxymoron).

The language is stunningly beautiful and poetic, if rather difficult for a Sassenach to pick up....

Are you referring to Scottish accented English, Scots or Gaelic?
  • We had our lochside picnic today. Overcast but mainly dry, so better than last year(!) but being non windy, a great day for the midges. But we had a whole heap of fun, eating talking running, playing games and laughing. A lot of non Church came as well, so it fulfilled all its purposes. So glad Queen Victoria turned down the chance to buy the estate whose beach we were on, otherwise we would have all the Dee-side busyness!
    Glad to hear you had a good time, Cathscats!
  • I knocked something off my bucket list today. I climbed Ben Bhraggie and mooned "The Mannie". :smiley:
  • BroJamesBroJames Shipmate
    edited August 2018
    Evidence? 👀
  • Yes, there are photos, no, I'm not sharing them!
  • We ticked something off Mr Cat's bucket list on his birthday a week ago by taking a train to Corrour station, in the middle of nowhere, having supper and a walk to Loch Ossian, then taking the last train back again. No, not my idea of a bucket list item, but we did all enjoy it.
  • Yes, there are photos, no, I'm not sharing them!
    :neutral:
  • I think there's something quite special about Loch Ossian. I'm not sure what, the quiet (since the only ways in are on foot, with the nearest start being a station without public road access). Then the trees wrapping around the hills. The relatively compact size that means from the path down from the station you can take in the whole thing. It's a beautiful place, I've used a photo (from a bit further up a hill than the station) as my FaceBook cover photo. It's been a very long time since I was last there.
  • My late grandfather was the postman at Corrour when he married my grandmother. Their house would have been a very lonely place while he was out delivering letters on his pony, but fortunately for my grandmother, the house had a ghost. This ghost, the ghost of an elderly lady, was delighted when my aunt was born, and was so fond of the baby that my grandmother could go out to see to the hens etc, leaving the ghost in charge of my infant aunt.

By the time the next baby, my father, was born, they had left Corrour.

The house is no longer there. Trying to locate the site of the house is on my son's bucket list.
    Having a ghost as a baby-sitter - have you considered selling that as an idea to a film company?

It's no sillier than having a Newfoundland dog as a nanny, like the children in Peter Pan.
  • And cheaper to feed.
  • Which is no doubt the appeal to the Scots ...

(I'll get me coat. Although if it's any consolation the Welsh tell jokes about the alleged meaness of West Walians, particularly the Cardis from Cardiganshire.)
    It's quite all right, Gamma - we'll fetch your coat for you. :mrgreen:
  • What do you mean you had a coat when you arrived? Did anyone see a coat? No? Off you go, it's not too cold!
  • As they say in South Wales, 'Whose coat is that jacket hanging on the door by there?'
  • I had a splendid dessert today. Deep-fried Mars bar Sundae. Deep-fried mars bar bites, Mackie's salted caramel ice cream and a whisky toffee sauce.

I love Scotland!
    edited August 2018
    I've never had the nerve to try a deep-fried Mars bar (I love them as they are, or better still, chilled), but in little bite-sized bits it might actually be all right, especially with some good ice-cream.

My teeth are hurting just thinking about it though ... :smiley:

@Cathscats - that's a very good point. It's August - you won't need a coat for at least another six weeks.
  • Mackie's ice cream is seriously good.
  • Piglet wrote: »
    @Cathscats - that's a very good point. It's August - you won't need a coat for at least another six weeks.
    You might be better off with a swimsuit, the rain isn't too cold yet.

You're getting warm rain too?
  • No, just not cold rain. Which is probably as close to warm rain as we ever get.
  • I once took a bite of a deep fried Mars bar just so I could say I'd done it, even though it was in a pub in Burlington, Ontario. Never again. However, in a few weeks I'll be back near its birthplace, the Carron chipper in Stonehaven. The story, as it has been handed down through the generations - well; maybe half a generation - is that some teenagers from the Mackie Academy went in there and bet the man behind the counter that it couldn't be done. The rest is history.
  • I've been to the new V&A in Dundee!

We went on Saturday. It was heaving with people, and we had to queue for 15 mins to get into the main, free, exhibition. The other exhibition (£12 a ticket) wasn't an option because tickets had sold out. The large cafe was also stowed out, so we didn't have a coffee there. The whole place was so busy the North East Man was glad to get out afterwards. The queue was longer as we were leaving than it had been when we arrived.

Verdict? The exhibition was fantastic! My favourite item was the scenery prop for The Cheviot, the Stag and the Black, Black Oil but there was so much there it was hard to single anything out. I can't wait to go back after the initial rush has subsided, see the exhibits properly, have lunch in the first floor restaurant with its glorious view, then drift round the exhibition again, with coffee and a scone in the ground floor cafe to finish off.
  • Kinda the point of the new law. It will, however, be pretty unworkable, I think, and will probably result in Shetland just not being on the map at all!
  • Climacus wrote: »

Shetland is indeed a rather remote (but stunningly beautiful) part of the UK.

For some reason, my email log-in page is currently advertising lots of properties - various sizes and prices - in far-flung outposts of Empire.

A rather neat little bungalow (which would suit me just fine) has appeared, at what ISTM is a very reasonable price. It is, however, situated in Halkirk, Caithness - about as far from the present Episcopal Palace as it is possible to get in the UK, without crossing the sea!

I am tempted.....Halkirk Station closed in 1960, but it's only a mile or so from Georgemas Junction, which is very much open, so it's not entirely cut off....
    :wink:

Once, travelling by train down from Caithness to England, I was told that I had a Caithness accent, which, I understand, is not at all 'Scottish'. Is this likely? The chap so opining hailed from Edinburgh....

IJ

edited October 2018
    I've never heard you speak, BF, but I'd be surprised if you had a Caithness accent. It's not really like any other Scottish accent; to my ears, the nearest I've heard to it was a bloke from Ballymena in Northern Ireland - presumably the "Ulster Scots" connection.

On the map thing, someone (I can't remember who) wrote a book about Orkney and Shetland called A Box of Islands; Orkney used to be put in a box off the Moray Firth as well.