Please see Styx thread on the Registered Shipmates consultation for the main discussion forums - your views are important, continues until April 4th.

Ship Quotes File (New Drawer)

The old one's still kicking over here, but it's only a matter of moments before Someone says Something worth remembering.

Remember it here.

Comments

• Mr SmiffMr Smiff Shipmate
    I suppose it's appropriate that the first entry in the new drawer should be from our esteemed captain - from the "Why did you join the Ship" thread in Purg:
    Simon wrote: »
    KarlLB wrote: »
    Indeed, it was around the time of the meteor hitting Yucatán disruptive poster whom ancient texts name as "Joanne" singlehandedly caused its implementation.

Karl, you know as well as I do that there was no historical "Joanne". We believe in her by faith.

(Formerly Stejjie)
  • Here's Leaf, on Steve Langton and Gamma Gamaliel's rather verbose interactions:
    Leaf wrote: »
    You are homeopaths of shit.

• I was so much hoping that 'body is required' was going to be an eschatology thread.
  • aliehsaliehs Shipmate
    From "The Library" by Stuart Kells. Text Publishing. Melbourne 2017.
    Sebastian Brandt's 1494 Ship Of Fools is a roll call of dunces, and the foremost dunce is the man who collects "useless books" he cannot read.
    Just thought you'd like to know.
  • I don't often post outside Purgatory, so if this one isn't appropriate please delete it. Adeodatus on "Why did you join the Ship?"
    Adeodatus wrote: »
    September 2003: the powers that be (were?) at Manchester Cathedral got themselves into a spot of bother with the LGBTQ community by uninviting Bishop Gene Robinson to an event. I joined the Ship to join the discussion. So I suppose I came for the homosexuality, stayed for the banter.
  • aliehsaliehs Shipmate
    another gem from The Library[ see above for details] :
    "membranaceous bijoux" .
    Used by 19th century bibliophile Thomas Frognall Dibdin to describe precious vellum bound books. I've been dying to use it in one of the word games, but after 3 days , no opportunity has presented itself.They don't write like that any more.
  • aliesh, I'm afraid you may be missing the point of this thread. The quotations of the title are those of our fellow shipmates we consider worthy of preserving for posterity due to their wit or irony or cleverness, rather than being quotes from learned tomes.
  • aliehsaliehs Shipmate
    Sack cloth and ashes. But aren't they delicious phrases. Will confine myself to the appropriate messages i8n future. May be start one of my own?
  • LydaLyda Shipmate
    Curiosity killed:
    I'm someone else that thinks it's too much like hard work to be this paranoid.
  • RooK wrote: »
    [N]ot only does nobody have any fucks left to give about your particular special story, you are personally responsible for a global collapse of the sub-prime fuck-lending market.

• EutychusEutychus Shipmate
    Changing gears, I found this from @ThunderBunk just too profound to go unremarked:
    To my mind, faith is entirely itself: it shared characteristics with knowledge, relationships, inspiration, and gift, but it is all of those and more. To me, it's what grows when the received faith, coming through both the bible and the body of believers (i.e. the church), goes into an individual, takes root in them and dies. The last is the heart of the mystery, and to me is the key to why faith is both shared and intensely, irrevocably personal
  • KarlLB, on comments pages on the web:
    KarlLB wrote: »
    The problem with comments pages is they're like when the cat brings in a partially disemboweled mouse, you know closer examination will be truly disgusting but somehow your curiosity gets the better of you. Then you realise you can't unsee it and you knew what was there all along.

• PigletPiglet All Saints Host, Circus Host
    edited April 2018
    North East Quine on gender-balance on the Aging Parents thread in AS:
    I may have a law degree and be a qualified, though non practising, solicitor but I don't have a penis and so my brother has the Power of Attorney. Lucky him!! :)
  • Twilight wrote: »
    Why shut the toilet? ... most important, is to avoid "toilet plume." That's the cloud forced up from the flushing action that contains small particles of water mixed with tiny particles of waste. ...

It's the thought of living with an open toilet that deters me from criminal activity.

[killingme smiley]

And there's another law enforcement strategy I didn't know about...
  • mousethiefmousethief Shipmate
    Short but sweet.
    Remember, God loves unsupported assertions.
  • HedgehogHedgehog Shipmate
    Sometimes you just need to put it into perspective...
    Republicans, 2016: "It's not like Trump is going to round people up into Concentration Camps."

Republicans, 2018: "Frankly, I find it offensive that you call them Concentration Camps."
  • We like to think that we are rational beings, when in fact most of the time we are rationalizing beings.
  • from Graven Image:

In the meantime when God closes a door, dance in the hallway.
  • from Graven Image:

In the meantime when God closes a door, dance in the hallway.

:heart:
    I'm definitely stealing that!
  • LeoLeo Shipmate
    me too! Brilliant!
    Love it! :smiley:
  • :smile: Shaking my groove thang in a hallway right now
  • A gem.
    Eutychus wrote: »
    Kerygmania, meanwhile, is about the Bible and why it doesn't apply to us ;)
  • I could have sworn that "the Bible and why it doesn't apply to me" used to be the subtext under the main title of Kerygmania on the old boards. It doesn't seem to have been the last one used, but I'm sure it's not mine to own.
  • jedijudyjedijudy Heaven Host
    This is one I will keep to use at a later time IRL!
    Ohher in Purgatory:
    Ohher wrote: »
    He has all the intellectual depth of the meniscus on a drop of morning dew.
    I was impressed by that one too.

Where's that "notworthy" smilie gone?

• Ohher wrote (in the Purg thread about Trump): »
    As to nomenclature, GOP now stands for Greedy Old Perverts.
  • This is just sheer bloody makes-you-weep-with-pleasure genius.
    Starting on SOF on the Hell Board is like going up a pig's ass to get a ham sandwich. There are easier and better ways.
  • mousethiefmousethief Shipmate
    edited September 2018
    You or I could have posted this, maybe, but we didn't.
    lilbuddha wrote: »
    Issues are addressed by confronting them.
  • CK tells it the way it is:
    on the Ship we're more than three times more interested in discussing sex than unfair business practices
    edited November 2018
    Culinary optimism from Graven Image in All Saints:
    I enjoy reading cook books as they always have happy endings.

although Pigwidgeon isn't quite so sure:
    You wouldn't think that if I actually cooked one of those recipes!

• LydaLyda Shipmate
    KarlLB in Hell: I stopped using cunt as an insult when I realised the people I was using it for had neither the warmth nor the depth.
  • Golden KeyGolden Key Shipmate, Glory
    edited November 2018
    ROTFL!
    (not worthy emoticon)
  • Alas I must confess that I nicked that line from someone else, I forget whom.
  • Checking the Old Boards, it appears to have been Amos, as quoted by Spiffy.
  • TubbsTubbs Admin Emeritus
    Mark Bett's hell call spawned this gem:
    LeRoc wrote: »
    I have this niggle at the back of my brain that says Mark Betts has already converted a number of times. Each time decrying the previous church and anyone still a member of that church; the new church is all there is.
    Can't he convert to the new Church of Shutting the Fuck Up?

Which totally made me laugh ...
    I suppose he could become a Trappist ... :mrgreen:
    Trappists can still write. Thomas Merton did. And rather well.
    (Stray comment deleted.)

• jedijudyjedijudy Heaven Host
    Another gem in Purg:
    Crœsos wrote: »
    I would be in favor of any campaign that could use the slogan “Mad Dog 2020”.
  • LydaLyda Shipmate
    edited December 2018
    A fun tangent in Ecclesiantics by Gee D :

"Maniples always strike me as a liturgical equivalent of turtles all the way down."
  • LeafLeaf Shipmate
    Reporting from the Burn Unit with this comment from Eliab, in the "Victim Culture" thread in Purgatory:
    If you were arguing for the validity of inferences, and consequent bad treatment, drawn from astrology or phrenology, my arguments would need but slight amendment to allow for the superior intellectual rigour and consistency of those systems compared to your views.
  • LydaLyda Shipmate
    Eutychus: "There's a difference between being a fool for Christ and a twit for Christ."
  • Not mine but Adrian Plass', I regret.
  • LydaLyda Shipmate
    Ah. I forgot that.
  • Thank you, Piglet - I shall get good use out of this:

Firenze wrote: »
    ... In Ireland the progression was from spitting to pissing ...

With the correct local pronunciation, obviously:

passion n. heavy rain in Ballymena
  • LydaLyda Shipmate
    anoesis on our kind community on the Ship:

"Honestly - you cannot swing a cat, here, without thwacking a dozen introverts in the face."
  • LydaLyda Shipmate
    Whoa! Two worthy quotes (worthy to me :blush: ) found within five minutes!

Dafyd on a Resurrection for cats:

"There would be, but when the graves open the cats shall start climbing out, stop and hang around for a bit in the grave mouths, and then climb straight back in and sit there mewing for a bit before curling up and going to sleep."
  • Firenze wrote: »
    Gin a proofer meet a proofer
    Comin’ through the rye
    Gin a proofer tell a proofer
    All ye’s are wrang but I

Gin a proofer meet a proofer
    Comin’ through the glen
    Gin a proofer tell a proofer
    No, ye’r wrang - whit then?

On proof-texters, not proof-readers.
  • BoogieBoogie Heaven Host
    @mr cheesy said -
    If for some reason British MPs voted down the Statutory Instrument that made the change, there would be a tear in the space-time continuum. Or something.

:lol: :lol: