Trumpton - the rant thread

Doc TorDoc Tor Hell Host
In conjunction with the comrade hosts of Purgatory, this is the thread for rants, fumes, exasperations, and general name-calling of 45.
Tagged:

Comments

• So, Hope Hicks has gone, admitting that she had told (in her words) "white lies" for her boss.

Any chance we'll get to know what those white lies concerned? Ms Hicks should know that partial confession doesn't ease the conscience, only full confession will do.
  • Indeed, but not 'under the seal', please. Enquiring minds need to know!

:innocent:

IJ
  • Lily PadLily Pad Shipmate
    Stephen Colbert's monologue referenced her on the Late Show last night. He said, "Well, duh, telling lies to white people is what got Trump elected." I sure take a lot of pleasure in hearing him talk about current affairs.
  • CrœsosCrœsos Shipmate
    So the White House has lost Hope. :worried:

Hicks was the fourth person to hold the White House Communications Director job in the current administration. Any bets on how long her replacement lasts?
  • “There are no words to adequately express my gratitude to President Trump,” was what she said. Not a great thing for a communications director.
  • chrisstileschrisstiles Shipmate
    edited March 2018
    I see there's a new evangelical flavoured apologia for Trump:

http://www.latimes.com/opinion/op-ed/la-oe-downes-the-faith-of-donald-j-trump-20180301-story.html

I hadn't realised that Metaxas had gone so culture war:
    Then read the foreword, by Eric Metaxas. He says "many serious Christians" embrace this president because they understand God's grace better than others. He says moralizing naysayers are like "the elder brother in the parable of the Good Samaritan."

I think the author of the piece is right to call out the ethnic culture war aspects.

Contra Eutychus in purgatory I suspect that being anti-abortion serves less as an issue in itself and more a marker of righteousness for some.
  • I knew the bloke who is probably going to be the next Prime Minister at University. If I ever get the chance, I am planning to ask him whether he is prepared to put himself between a gunman with an AK47 and a cowering child. Trump is redefining leadership!
  • Barnabas62Barnabas62 Purgatory Host, Epiphanies Host
    chrisstiles

You may well be right, but what that shows is just how warped the understanding of righteousness is.

This is a rant thread but I'm going to defer, because I cannot do better, to two of the best known rants in the bible. Both of which show how utterly shallow it is to base righteousness on current obsessional hot button issues.

Amos 5 v 7-24

Let justice roll down like a river, righteousness like a never failing stream.

And then this

Isaiah 58 v 1-12

They miniaturise, even trivialise, righteousness and do not know that they do so.

• Simon Toad wrote: »
    I knew the bloke who is probably going to be the next Prime Minister at University.

So, were you at U Syd with Albo, or Monash with Bill?
  • Monash with Bill, and I suppose this is not the place to discuss the leadership :wink:
  • Doc TorDoc Tor Hell Host
    You would be correct.
  • CrœsosCrœsos Shipmate

I posted another review of this book at the old site which claims the book is actually mis-titled and "should have been titled Our Faith in Donald J. Trump". It's not a book about Trump's faith, it's a book about white evangelicals' support of Trump and trying to explain it in a way that doesn't sound craven, self-serving, or "transactional".
  • I see there's a new evangelical flavoured apologia for Trump
    I'm eagerly awaiting my copy from Amazon.

Well, awaiting it.
    Monash with Bill, and I suppose this is not the place to discuss the leadership :wink:

No idea why you brought it up, other than to name drop.
  • DafydDafyd Shipmate
    There's something essentially undignified about all words ending in -ump. Bump, dump, slump. The least undignified is pump. The sound starts at the back of the mouth, escapes through the nose for the m with the lips closed, and then finally escapes through the lips as well for the p to come to a plosive stop, as if dropping and then hitting the floor in a dull splat.
  • DaffodilDaffodil Shipmate
    “There are no words to adequately express my gratitude to President Trump,” was what she said. Not a great thing for a communications director.

But maybe it expressed exactly what she wanted to say...
    edited March 2018
    You say it best when you say nothing at all.

:mrgreen:
  • Wesley JWesley J Shipmate
    The WaPo currently has this as one headline:
    White House softens tone on gun-control measures after Trump meets with NRA

So, again, as we've learnt from claims in the 'Fire and Fury' book (which I've now finished reading!), whatever 45 said before, it is always the last person he spoke to who is parroted by him. Shockingly true.

He should be removed from office ASAP. This guy is a danger to the nation and to the world. But it has been said before, hasn't it.
  • jedijudyjedijudy Heaven Host
    edited March 2018

http://www.latimes.com/opinion/op-ed/la-oe-downes-the-faith-of-donald-j-trump-20180301-story.html

I hadn't realised that Metaxas had gone so culture war:
    Then read the foreword, by Eric Metaxas. He says "many serious Christians" embrace this president because they understand God's grace better than others. He says moralizing naysayers are like "the elder brother in the parable of the Good Samaritan."

So after I was confused about the elder brother thing, I looked at the link. The next sentence says this:
    But wait, you say: There is no elder brother in the parable of the Good Samaritan. Maybe he meant the Prodigal Son.

Just another stupid thing said by someone (Metaxas) talking out of their hat, trying to convince us that we who don't drink the Trump koolaid know nothing of God.

I'm proud to be a naysayer. Perhaps the folks who don't even notice what was wrong with that quote should actually crack that Bible open. Maybe they might get hit over the head with a bit of wisdom from above.

I am not a Bible expert!!! :naughty:

• jedijudyjedijudy Heaven Host
    Sorry about the poor editing. Still trying to get used to New Things™!
    Monash with Bill, and I suppose this is not the place to discuss the leadership :wink:

No idea why you bought it up, other than to be an arsehole.
    Simon Toad wrote: »

He didn't bring it up. You did. Try to pay attention to what you yourself write.
  • bassobasso Shipmate
    Wesley J wrote: »
    ...whatever 45 said before, it is always the last person he spoke to who is parroted by him.
    One of my professors was fond of quoting an English politician (don't remember which one) that "Lord Derby's mind is like his pillow. It bears the imprint of whoever sat on it last."
    I've carried that thought with me long after other things from that class are gone.

• mousethief wrote: »

He didn't bring it up. You did. Try to pay attention to what you yourself write.

Thanks for bringing this up Mousethief, because it gives me an opportunity to repent of the post. I apologise to you and of course to Dark Knight, who I not only offended by seeking some reflected glory for myself by referring to a passing acquaintance with a famous politician of some thirty or more years ago, but sought to denigrate by referring to him as an orifice through which passes fecal matter. I grovel in the dirt, but I do not beg forgiveness because I do not deserve it.

Incidentally, I once had dinner with Adam West. Did you know that he actually speaks like Batman in real life? Apparently, he grew up next to an elevated train line, and so the pause is just something that comes naturally to him.
  • Amanda B ReckondwythAmanda B Reckondwyth Mystery Worship Editor
    edited March 2018
    Meanwhile, the despicable Roy Moore, whom bedfellow Fartletter-in-Chief supported so strongly, claims he is strapped for cash but has not lost his faith in God. Hey, I could use a little help with my car payment too, but I'm not looking to God to make a surprise deposit into my checking account. Nor will the Fartletter-in-Chief, I don't imagine.
    King Chaos

A new derogatory name to add to Fartletter? Or simply a very accurate description?

I'm for that second choice.
  • Meanwhile, the despicable Paul Moore...

I think you mean Roy Moore. (Paul Moore was the Bishop of New York.)
    :wink:
    Good Lord, yes. And far from despicable. I'll correct the post (it will make yours redundant, but it's the right thing to do).
  • I love little mistakes like that Amanda. It's good to see that bastard Moore in trouble. I'll bet Trump is not returning his calls anymore.
  • I'd actually like to contribute to his victim's legal defense fund.
  • Meanwhile, the despicable Roy Moore, whom bedfellow Fartletter-in-Chief supported so strongly, claims he is strapped for cash but has not lost his faith in God.

Fortunately, all these good Christian Republicans hovering about after every school shooting have shown us how to respond to these life tragedies. "Thoughts & prayers", Mr. Moore.

• NicoleMRNicoleMR Shipmate
    Some people have sent him checks, made out in the amount of "Thoughts and prayers".
  • CrœsosCrœsos Shipmate
    I like this bit of his pitch for contributions:
    The future of our children and grandchildren is at stake.

Gotta keep an eye out for his future dating prospects!
    Perhaps he's channelling his inner Doc Brown?
  • SparrowSparrow Shipmate
    Dafyd wrote: »
    There's something essentially undignified about all words ending in -ump. Bump, dump, slump. The least undignified is pump. The sound starts at the back of the mouth, escapes through the nose for the m with the lips closed, and then finally escapes through the lips as well for the p to come to a plosive stop, as if dropping and then hitting the floor in a dull splat.

You forgot Rump.

• Plump?
    :lol:

IJ
    You're welcome.

This is not the Circus. Let the reader understand...
    The Trump talented team strikes again.

You couldn't make this up. You'd be laughed at for "Fake News".
  • My old facebook pal, Elizabeth Warren, is not very complimentary of Betsy DeVos. Oh dear. Did I namedrop again? How careless of me.
  • Simon ToadSimon Toad Shipmate
    edited March 2018
    So am I right in thinking that stories like this one about teenager Trevor Marshall being arrested with loaded weapons in a restaurant carpark are happening all over the United States? Or is it that California's gun control laws give the police wider scope to arrest people carrying guns in a larger range of circumstances?

I note that this report is labelled 'Education'. It came up on my phone, and I got the website article by searching the boy's name, so not so relevant these days. I think I would have freaked right out if it had appeared in my local paper's Education Supplement.
    My brother, a retired schoolteacher who does some substitute teaching and also teaches part time at a community college, has e-mailed me with news of several incidents that have occurred recently in his area that have not made the national news. So it is happening all over the United States? Apparently yes, and it's so common place as not to be newsworthy anymore. God help us all.
  • :votive

I get angry watching the news on our commercial TV networks with their three-crime openings every night, subliminally pushing a law and order agenda. But I think I'd want to hear about that stuff...
  • How long now before the Two Toddlers have their willy-waving contest?

And will the latest executions at Toddler Tower, USA, have any effect thereupon?

Meanwhile, the grown-ups in Russia and China, Uncle Vlad and Uncle Xi, continue their plotting, laughing quietly to themselves...

IJ
  • Simon ToadSimon Toad Shipmate
    edited March 2018
    I watched one of those panel interviews about Torturing Mike on the PBS Newshour, and the panelists were all saying what a great relationship he'd built up with Trump and how he'd be able to give Trump a nudge on the right way to go on international affairs. Apparently he gave Trump a daily briefing as Director of the CIA. Man, how many times have we heard that one?

This guy Tillerson was a senior executive at one of the biggest petro-chemical companies on the planet, and influential enough to have as his retirement job Secretary of State. He is one of the small number of rich men at who's feet can be laid the degredation of the planet and the ever-widening gap between rich and poor in the Western world. Fuck Tillerson. He is an enemy of justice.

• JacobsenJacobsen Shipmate
    Sparrow wrote: »
    Dafyd wrote: »

You forgot Rump.

Chump?
  • BoogieBoogie Shipmate
    and Chump
    Apparently so...

Don't make me crack open the hostly implements, people.
  • TukaiTukai Shipmate
    [[/quote]

So, again, as we've learnt from claims in the 'Fire and Fury' book (which I've now finished reading!), whatever 45 said before, it is always the last person he spoke to who is parroted by him. Shockingly true.

/quote]

So it will be interesting to see what he says when the last person he spoke to was Kim Jong-Un.
  • One almost feels, in despair, that it doesn't matter any more what The Lord Of New Mordor says or does.

Uncle Vlad will invade from the east, Uncle Xi will invade from the west, and Trumpauron the Great (Not) will be toast.

There. A nice plot for a new fillum!

IJ