Another Australian Politician

anoesisanoesis Shipmate
So, tell me - do you guys have a machine, that, like, spurts them out, assembly-line style? I'd never heard of Andrew Broad before today (though the story being told is tiresomely familiar) - but my first thought, on seeing a photo of him, was that he was a slightly younger Peter Dutton, with a less austere approach to hairstyling, and a bit of a hangover. Having seen that, I now realise that if you were to bake the both of them in too much sun for a couple of decades, until their skin's just really giving up, and add wine, lots of wine, voila! Replacement Barnaby Joyces, two for the price of one!

On a more serious note: How is it even possible that none of these people realise that the days of double lives are just over? Everything is logged. Everything is cached. It's going to come back and bite you. It's only a matter of time.

Comments

• LothlorienLothlorien All Saints Host
    Supposedly a lay preacher in his church.
  • Title of an article in the Sydney Morning Herald says it all, really : "Andrew Broad built himself a pedestal, then fell off it". If you're going to bag Barnaby Joyce for dubious morals, you'd better have a pretty clean pair of paws yourself.

Comedy gold.
  • We really need an overhaul of the preselection process ( and the whole party system), starting with a questionnaire asking how many closets full of skeletons they have, and when did they lose the keys to those closets... Anyone who looks like Mr Potato Head should be immediately barred.
  • Gee DGee D Shipmate
    Yes, all 4 of the big players seem to have a real problem with it.
  • Simon ToadSimon Toad Shipmate
    edited December 2018
    Athrawes wrote: »
    We really need an overhaul of the preselection process ( and the whole party system), starting with a questionnaire asking how many closets full of skeletons they have, and when did they lose the keys to those closets... Anyone who looks like Mr Potato Head should be immediately barred.

I heard ages ago and from a disreputable source that the Sydney Anglicans had a questionnaire like that for aspiring candidates for ministry, the first question being 'Are you or have you ever been a woman?'

The most amazing thing about this story is that New Idea seems to have broken a salacious story that is not bullshit.
  • "Simon wrote:
    The most amazing thing about this story is that New Idea seems to have broken a salacious story that is not bullshit.

God, I wish we still had that emoticon/gif where the little yellow guy's beating the floor with his fist, he's laughing so hard...
  • Kittyville wrote: »
    Title of an article in the Sydney Morning Herald says it all, really : "Andrew Broad built himself a pedestal, then fell off it". If you're going to bag Barnaby Joyce for dubious morals, you'd better have a pretty clean pair of paws yourself.

Comedy gold.

The knack some have for kicking the pedestal out from under their own feet is quite something.
  • The implosion of the current government is quite something to watch.

If I didn't know better, I'd actually suspect some of the Coalition of working for the Labor election campaign for 2019 - it's that much of a shitshow, you can't believe they're serious.
  • I had a small exchange of views with someone who compared Morrison with Trump. I objected on the basis that Morrison just wasn't in Trump's league for evil. Thinking about it, I should have compared Morrison with a post-Trump aneurysm Pence. He's just sort of flailing about, out of his depth, and mesmerised by the headlights of an oncoming and distinctly unfriendly Colin the Campaign Bus. Beep beep!
  • Simon Toad wrote: »

Agreed. Absolutely fucking astonishing.

I suggest, by the way, that we keep this thread open for the many egregious examples of total wankers we have in politics Down Under. This week's example is Fraser Anning, whose appearance at a fascist rally in St Kilda on my dollar and yours is perhaps the only thing that could possibly unite Labor, the Coalition, and the Greens. Anning, who before today was infamous for his Final Solution maiden speech, and for being Malcolm Roberts' barely sentient replacement, also went to two more of these rallies last year. Again, funded by the taxpayer.

He is, as they say in the classics, an utter cunt.
  • Gee DGee D Shipmate
    One of my uncles died fighting Hitler. Now this fuckwit gets up and sprouts the same hatreds.
  • Meanwhile, the upcoming NSW state elections need a "May contain nuts" warning. Mark Latham, David Leyonhjelm... What a feast we have to look forward to.
  • Dark KnightDark Knight Shipmate
    edited March 15
    Fraser Anning is a total cunt. I'm not only ashamed to be from the same country as him - I'm ashamed to be the same species.
  • sionisaissionisais Shipmate
    How did I just know this guy was a Queenslander?
  • anoesisanoesis Shipmate
    sionisais wrote: »
    How did I just know this guy was a Queenslander?

I'm thinking two things, here.

I'm thinking; That's not really fair to the very large majority of Queenslanders who are nothing like that.

And I'm thinking; Yeah.

Which just goes to show, how deep the instinct to divide people along some abitrary line and then aggregate them within the category you've created, goes. And if you allow the instinct to fester, and overrun your rational capacities, you wind up - as an extremist, ism.

To be clear - I am not calling sionisais out here, any more than I'm calling out myself, or anyone else.
  • AthrawesAthrawes Shipmate
    As an actual Queenslander, I would say we *don’t* all reflect the politicians that are foisted on us. This senator is one of the true disasters of the preferential voting system I’ve come across. He got very few actual votes, and gained his seat on preferences. In fact, I’ve started to refer to him as the Senator 19 people actually voted for. I don’t think he needs the courtesy of using his name.
  • ClimacusClimacus Shipmate
    edited March 15
    I've also heard him referred to as "Mr 19".

For those wondering how it is possible to get a senate seat with 19 votes out of 3,096,281 votes in Qld, behold. Or as everyone's favourite psephologist tweeted:
    @AntonyGreenABC: Out of 122 candidates on the 2016 Qld Senate ballot paper, Malcolm Roberts finished 98th and Fraser Anning 121st. They were elected only because of Pauline Hanson's popularity, polling more than a quota in her own right and attracting strong preference flows. #auspol

Also: agree Qlders are wonderful. But there is a strong thought from other, southern, states that there is something in the water up there.
    Very large state, with a small population, many isolated communities, and a South East corner that sucks all the funding and infrastructure out of the rest of the place. People get frustrated, and angry enough to vote for ‘anyone who says they’ll fight for us’.
  • ClimacusClimacus Shipmate
    To finish the thought...

Something in the water given some (very few...but often in positions of power...) strange people up there. Not sure what you think of the mad 'cockroaches' down south.
    About the same as the ones here, tbh. Some are great, some are rubbish, and nearly all of them get tarnished by the corrosive effect of our political system. A lot of them become corrupted by it. Look at Tony Abbott ( whose name I can’t spell today)...
  • sionisaissionisais Shipmate
    My thanks to Queensland shipmates (and others) for “getting” my post better than I could have hoped. The memories of Sir Joh and Pauline Hanson are powerful.
    I live not far from Sir Joh’s Old stomping ground. The memories are pretty strong here, but we’re working on it...
  • Gee DGee D Shipmate
    Anning is unspeakably bad. His comments are a disgrace and it's good to see that he will not be a senator for much longer.
    What makes you say that, Gee D? Has he been forced to resign?
  • HuiaHuia Shipmate
    Sir Joh was born in New Zealand. I was always glad he didn't try for Parliament here.
  • Gee DGee D Shipmate
    Athrawes wrote: »
    What makes you say that, Gee D? Has he been forced to resign?

The last election was a double dissolution, so all Senate seats had to be filled. Only half the Senate seats are to be vacant at the upcoming election. Accordingly the last half elected in each State (or Territory) have to stand again. I don't know who would nominate Anning this time, but it would be very unlikely that he'd get a quota* and so be back in the new Parliament. He can go back to a well deserved obscurity and quietly ponder why that is so.
  • KittyvilleKittyville Shipmate
    He's founded his own party, can't remember the name - Conservative something, something Conservative. Perhaps the AEC frowns on the use of "Fascist" or "Racist" or "Scumbags" in party names...
  • Gee DGee D Shipmate
    The attempt was to try to include "National", which drew the expected response. He has Buckley's of getting a quota at a half-Senate election.
    The sooner he sinks beneath the waves, the better.
    I'd like to nominate Bernie Finn as the most horrible Victorian politician. He's a right-wing Catholic in the Victorian Upper house. He has the usual views you would expect from an uptight bastard in the 1950's.
    I would like to agree with you, Gee D re Senator second last’s chances of re-election, but history has proven me wrong too often for optimism. I would like to see him face the consequences of his actions, though.
  • Gee DGee D Shipmate
    He may be facing charges of assaulting a minor (and the may have that of assaulting a despised politician, one of the most serious there is).
    Pauline has confirmed on national television that she will vote against the censure motion in the Senate. Entirely to be expected, she can't risk alienating the white supremacist voters that she spends the rest of her time courting.
    That's when she's not harassing Senator Brian Burston.
  • Gee DGee D Shipmate
    At least she's probably not harassing Ashby.