Junior Hosting

I just received the following notification in Purgatory:
Barnabas62 wrote: »
Mark Betts

Leave Hosting to the Hosts. We will post if we believe correction is necessary. The posts which are risking corrective action are yours, for junior Hosting.

Barnabas62
Purgatory Host

I think this means that the Hosts don't like shipmates drawing things to their attention. If that's so then OK, sorry and I won't do it again - but I need to be sure. If it's something else then tell me about it.
Tagged:

Comments

• Baptist TrainfanBaptist Trainfan Shipmate
    edited December 2018
    That's how I've interpreted it, yes -more specifically, for telling people off for infringing the Commandments. I think it's to prevent a "too many chiefs" mentality developing.
  • I must admit I tend to react to too many posts - I have to learn to ignore most of them, especially the ones which just rubbish my own posts without adding anything constructive. The best and most appropriate response is very often no response.
  • Junior hosting is posting on a thread to say"this is against the rules", or to imply that by saying the hosts need to look at something. If you have concerns about whether something is OK or otherwise alert the hosts then you can send them a message, that way they can act if needed and there isn't an unnecessary interruption to the thread if everything is OK. The new software allows you to message all the hosts at the same time, and the names of the hosts are listed at the bottom of the board guidelines..
  • I would add something but that might be junior hosting ...
  • The Rogue wrote: »
    I would add something but that might be junior hosting ...

Said the barber who shaves all barbers who do not shave themselves...
  • Mark Betts wrote: »
    I must admit I tend to react to too many posts - I have to learn to ignore most of them, especially the ones which just rubbish my own posts without adding anything constructive. The best and most appropriate response is very often no response.
    You made claim that GeeD was doing something against the board guidelines. You were criticising his actions. This is the hosts' job to assess. You were acting as a host. This is not complicated.
  • Barnabas62Barnabas62 Purgatory Host, Epiphanies Host

Mark Betts.

A couple of further thoughts. As Alan Cresswell, said, you can send a message to any Host about any post you see as crossing the guidelines. Or you can call another Shipmate to Hell if their posts get your goat.

Or you can challenge a ruling (or a non-ruling) in the Styx, either by quoting the ruling with reasons for challenge, or by quoting a post which you think should have had a ruling but didn't.

Any of these actions is fine.
  • Mark BettsMark Betts Shipmate
    edited December 2018
    lilbuddha wrote: »
    Mark Betts wrote: »
    I must admit I tend to react to too many posts - I have to learn to ignore most of them, especially the ones which just rubbish my own posts without adding anything constructive. The best and most appropriate response is very often no response.
    You made claim that GeeD was doing something against the board guidelines. You were criticising his actions. This is the hosts' job to assess. You were acting as a host. This is not complicated.

Like I said, there are many who have little to actually contribute, but just enjoy rubbishing other people's posts. Hard though it is, such people don't even deserve a response. Re. GeeD, I didn't mean to imply he was breaking any rules, but was engaging in the forementioned - my mistake was to feed him.
  • Mark Betts wrote: »
    Like I said, there are many who have little to actually contribute, but just enjoy rubbishing other people's posts. Hard though it is, such people don't even deserve a response. Re. GeeD, I didn't mean to imply he was breaking any rules, but was engaging in the forementioned - my mistake was to feed him.

For your information, the Admins take an extremely dim view of using the Styx as a fig-leaf for thinly-disguised personal attacks, as you did in the above post.
  • lilbuddhalilbuddha Shipmate
    lilbuddha wrote: »

Like I said, there are many who have little to actually contribute, but just enjoy rubbishing other people's posts.
    Not your job(or mine) to make this determination.
    Hard though it is, such people don't even deserve a response. Re. GeeD, I didn't mean to imply he was breaking any rules, but was engaging in the forementioned - my mistake was to feed him.
    Responding is not what got you in trouble, but how you responded. Not rocket surgery.