Please see Styx thread on the Registered Shipmates consultation for the main discussion forums - your views are important, continues until April 4th.

Praise & Thanksgiving

Comments

• I think notes would be much appreciated. Not often done nowadays.
  • RossweisseRossweisse Hell Host, 8th Day Host, Glory
    Lothlorien wrote: »
    I think notes would be much appreciated. Not often done nowadays.
    Some people seem quite shocked to receive them. But they seem to enjoy getting Real Mail and recognition of their kindness.

• SarasaSarasa All Saints Host
    The lovely woman at the train station who sorted out me travelling on a different train to the one I was booked on when I missed it. No fault of my own, I set out with plenty of time, cancelled trains and queues at the tube buggered everything up. She was charming, sympathetic and efficient all the things you want after a horrid journey across London.
    Oh, Sarasa, that's such a good thing to read!
  • HuiaHuia Shipmate
    Giving thanks that I am now eligible for cheaper visits to the doctor due to a change it government policy for those on low incomes.

All children under 13 now get free visits.
  • jedijudyjedijudy Heaven Host
    Huia, what great news! Health care can be such a stressful thing especially for those of us with health problems. I'm very happy for you and for free visits for children!!
  • My brother got his car loan without me having to co-sign it! He picks up the car on Monday.
  • Great news, NicoleMR!
    That's very good news, NicoleMR!
    NicoleMR wrote: »
    My brother got his car loan without me having to co-sign it! He picks up the car on Monday.
    Hurrah!

• HuiaHuia Shipmate
    Yay Nicole, such good news,
  • MaryLouiseMaryLouise Shipmate, Host Emeritus
    Good to read this, Huia and Nicole.
  • HuiaHuia Shipmate
    A leak has developed in my roof because the ridge was incompetently mended following earthquake damage. EQC, the government insurance agency that covers earthquake damage had a reputation of being nasty and unapproachable and I was thinking of paying for it myself because I didn't want to have to deal with them again ever!

A friend told me they had changed so, to use a phrase of Erin's, I "put on my big girl bloomers" and dealt with it today.

My friend was right. I have an appointment on Monday. I am o relieved.
  • Elder daughter's wedding went off splendidly on Saturday (1st December). I felt very proud walking her up to the front of the hall. A civil ceremony but nicely done. May L & R have many happy years together.

TBTG.
  • Now that the wedding is done we can start preparing for Christmas. Choir practice tonight. I have Mrs Sioni's Christmas present and we have some food in already.
  • HuiaHuia Shipmate
    Further to my note on cheaper doctors visits - I was paying $50 per visit, I thought it might go down to $30, but I looked up the website today and it is now $18.50!!!!

I am utterly gobsmacked - in the best possible way. :j
  • Huia, that is truly Good News.
    Mazel tov, sionisais!
  • HuiaHuia Shipmate
    Yes, I am raiding my medical bank account to contribute towards a pair of summer sandals. (only expensive ones will fit the orthotics I need so it is kind of medical).
  • I hate French bureaucracy. I had another tax bill to pay (yet another!)today which has to be done online & last year caused no end of problems. As my medication causes heightened anxiety I had already started getting worked up about it before I began. I accessed the page and stuff started going wrong - numbers not being recognised etc. - which caused tears and swearing; but then, by chance, I clicked on a particular link which was exactly the one I needed (carefully hidden where one would least expect it to be) which led me to a bish-bash-bosh and you've paid! page. Thank God! Then I made sure I saved the PDF of the confirmation just in case!
  • Thank you God, for @Piglet, @Telepath, @Rossweisse , @MaryLouise (to name but a few) and all the other faithful prayer warriors who attend these pages like ministering angels. For them, and for their ministry of love and support, we give gratefulthanks.
  • HuiaHuia Shipmate
    Amen!
  • PigletPiglet All Saints Host, Circus Host
    Aaahhh, shucks! :blush:
    (Piglet beat me to the obvious response.)
    What Piglet said. Thank you, Mrs S.
  • I'm grateful that
    a) on Saturday, I realised that the foreign object in my lunch was one of my fillings before I caught the eye of a passing waitress to complain, and
    b) that my wonderful dentist managed to fit me in yesterday to refill the tooth. (Not an emergency as I've had root canal on that tooth and hence no pain, but having a hole in a tooth was very unpleasant).
  • MrD has a job!! It isn't quite the one he was hoping to get, but it's going to be different. After 3 months of training, he will have a temporary contract for 6 months. If everything goes well, it will become a permanent contract, which isn't easy to get in France. Hell be working for the planning team in a fibre optic company. He will also be paid a certain amount during the training period. Thank you, God.
  • Great news, Dormouse! What a wonderful Christmas present!
    :smiley:
  • HALLELUJAH!
    Congratulations Mr. D! :smiley:

We really need that "yipee" icon, don't we?
    Oh, Deo gratias! (Yes, Piglet, we do.)
    Well done, Mr D!
  • HuiaHuia Shipmate
    YaY for Mr D.
  • I'm 67 and Mr S, 68. So many of the annual Christmas letters speak of illness - cancers, renal failure, God knows what-all - that I really have to give heartfelt thanks for our good health. Long may it last; thank you Lord!
    Hang in there, Mrs. S!
  • I give thanks for good health, for myself and for the whole family; for faith and the honour of service, and the Church which facilitates it; and for the freedoms to practice my faith and to speak openly.
  • Amen to that!
  • HuiaHuia Shipmate
    edited December 2018
    The Council have halved the chlorine in the water. Happy dance by Huia and Georgie-Porgy, mine because the taste has improved, hers in solidarity as she mainly drinks rain water.

I am so grateful to the workers who have spend months improving the well heads, and still have a way to go. Christchurch's water comes from acquifers and was one of the things I prized about the place when I moved here.
  • No names or detail, but a work colleague and friend has been awarded an MBE in the New Year's Honours list for services to Mental Health in the Workplace. This one really is well deserved.
    Excellent, SS! I had quite a haul of friends and acquaintances who got gongs this time round - two in Orkney, two in Northern Ireland and one who was an organist colleague of D's.
  • My mammogram & ultra sound (a year after my lumpectomy/chemo/radiotherapy ) were clear. So was the X-ray of my rib - so it's not broken. Why it still hurts when I cough/sneeze/blow my nose is still a mystery. But that's small fry.
  • Brilliant news that the mammogram and ultrasound were clear. Ribs have lots of fiddly little muscles that can have conniptions and hurt.
  • Brilliant news Dormouse. Hope your existing pain soon disappears.
  • Lovely news,Dormouse.
    Excellent news, Dormouse - hope your rib starts behaving too!
    Dormouse wrote: »
    My mammogram & ultra sound (a year after my lumpectomy/chemo/radiotherapy ) were clear. ...
    Wonderful news! You remain in my daily prayers.

• HuiaHuia Shipmate
    Dormouse - delighted for you. :spinning smiley:

Ribs can be really annoying though.
    Dormouse, that's wonderful news!
  • Super to hear!
  • Thank you for your good wishes. And, Ross, for your prayers in the midst of your problems.