Please see Styx thread on the Registered Shipmates consultation for the main discussion forums - your views are important, continues until April 4th.

General Good-byes And RIPs

Comments

• Lyda wrote: »
    I don't know how many X-philes there are out there, but I remember his turn as Mr. Burt/God fondly in the episode "Improbable". Instead of playing chess with Death, the gals played checkers with God.
    This was my first thought on hearing the news.
  • I am almost a week late on this, but Anthea Bell, perhaps best known for translating the Asterix comics, has died. She was somebody whose work I have enjoyed.
  • LothlorienLothlorien Glory
    edited October 2018
    Farewell to Richard Gill a conductor and originally a secondary music teacher who started his career at Marsden High School. He caught a cab both ways for several years each day as he did not drive. Fortunately this was not far.

He had great enthusiasm for passing on his passion for music to students of all ages. He was also a conductor starting various orchestras and bands. He headed up music and TV programs and competitions.

Farewelled by neighbours, friends and musicians who played the Dam Busters outside his window early this morning.. Over 70 people gathered in his inner west street.
  • Richard Gill and Denis Condon were assistants to Terence Hunt when I was in the Secondary Schools' Combined Choir over 50 years ago. I still remember his vivid personality as he coached sometimes recalcitrant teenage boys.
  • More familiar names Barnabas. Terence Hunt called our Madrigal group probably the best in Australia at the time. Six girls. We did not sing in combined choir but as a group. Richard Gill taught my brother. Dad was Special Master at the school. His autobiography gives a good picture of him, including being put in charge of junior cricket. He hardly knew one end of a cricket bat from the other, so boys did many other things except cricket
  • PigletPiglet All Saints Host, Circus Host
    Lothlorien wrote: »
    ... He hardly knew one end of a cricket bat from the other ...
    Are you sure he was Australian? :mrgreen:
  • Burt Reynolds always came across as a decent man with a well-developed sense of humour. And the nude centrefold thing was a hoot.

My favorite Burt Reynolds moment...

He was co-hosting the People's Choice awards with Carol Burnett and a couple of other women, who were razzing him throughout the show about his somewhat checkered career.

That year, because of the rather sprawling definition of "mini-series", two of the nominees in that category were Ken Burns' Civil War, and some Jackie Collins soap opera. After The Civil War won and Burns delievered his speech, Reynolds strolled back to the podium and deadpanned "Jackie Collins or the Civil War. Must have been a tough call."

• Lothlorien wrote: »
    More familiar names Barnabas. Terence Hunt called our Madrigal group probably the best in Australia at the time.

I was the alto soloist in our all-male madrigal group, scheduled to do an individual item in 1965 or 66, but then my voice broke! Graham Russell, who was the organist at St Paul's Burwood was our music master at that time. In retirement he played the organ at Bendolba in the parish of Dungog, but left that post when a female rector was appointed to the parish.

• The Rev. Thomas Keating, Trappist monk and pioneer in the worldwide Christian contemplative prayer movement, died on Thursday at St. Joseph’s Abbey in Spencer, Massachusetts, where he had once been abbot. He was 95.
  • bunnywithanaxebunnywithanaxe Admin Emeritus
    San Francisco baseball legend Willie McCovey died today, aged 80. Many a candle will be lit tomorrow on many ofrendas.
  • bassobasso Shipmate
    Probably the best-loved Giant of them all. RIP, Stretch.
  • Thinking today of the family of S, whose thanksgiving service is today. He was the pastor of the church I grew up in. Our theologies may have diverged, but all those who he cared for admired his faithful ministry and his commitment to scripture.
  • It looks like Stan Lee, the cofounder of Marvel Comics, has died at 95.

RIP Mr Lee.
  • Golden KeyGolden Key Shipmate, Glory
    And also Douglas Rain, the man who voiced HAL the computer in "2001".

RIP both.
  • MaryLouiseMaryLouise Shipmate, Host Emeritus
    Sad to hear that that human-rights activist and long-term anti-apartheid veteran Paddy Kearney has died at the age of 76 in Durban, South Africa. He was founder and director of the Diakonia Council of Churches and wrote the biography of Archbishop Denis Hurley. He was a major force in South African Catholicism and ecumenism from the 1980s onward.
  • He may have been mentioned on other threads, but RIP George H. W. Bush.

A decent chap, not afraid to say that he was good at things, though doubtless he made some mistakes ('Read my lips - no more taxes'). And I believe he said somewhen that politics need not be nasty....present incumbent, please note.
  • @Bishops Finger I was thinking the same thing. He started his "Thousand Points of Light" program, with a declared intent that we become "a kinder, gentler nation." In retrospect, I wish we had paid more attention.
    Did you see the lovely tribute Mr. Obama paid to him?

I understand he was a real gentleman - may he rest in peace.

• RossweisseRossweisse Hell Host, 8th Day Host, Glory
    I did not always agree with him, but I always respected him, and came to admire him. He had both class and kindness. May he rest in peace and rise in glory.

• I remember the guy. It seems there's usually reluctance to criticise dead presidents. This one wasn't as bad as Nixon, Reagan, or his son, but he wasn't good at all in my memory.
    Memory has him race baiting, doing things to perpetuate Reaganomics and economic inequality, and pardoning the Iran - Contra criminals, and how guilty was he personally re that? We may never know because he hid himself with the pardoning. If you recall, the selling of weapons to Iran to support the murderous military against the gov't of Nicaragua which had overthrown a terrible dictatorship allied with the USA against its own people for economic gain. History will ultimately judge him and his kind.
  • He may have been mentioned on other threads, but RIP George H. W. Bush.

A decent chap, not afraid to say that he was good at things, though doubtless he made some mistakes ('Read my lips - no more taxes'). And I believe he said somewhen that politics need not be nasty....present incumbent, please note.

I wouldn't take GHW Bush's denunciation of nasty politics at face-value. Google "Willie Horton ad".

• MooMoo Kerygmania Host
    stetson wrote: »
    I wouldn't take GHW Bush's denunciation of nasty politics at face-value. Google "Willie Horton ad".

The Willie Horton story was originally dug up by Michael Dukakis. I don't recall what political campaign it was.

• Bishops FingerBishops Finger Shipmate
    edited December 2018
    Ah well - it's all too easy to speak ill (or good) of The Dead, as they can't answer back.

God/god(s) will judge.
    Piglet wrote: »
    Did you see the lovely tribute Mr. Obama paid to him?

From one gentleman to another...
    :wink:

(O Barack! Where art thou? America - and Earth - hath need of thee!)

• stetsonstetson Shipmate
    edited December 2018
    Moo wrote: »
    stetson wrote: »

The Willie Horton story was originally dug up by Michael Dukakis. I don't recall what political campaign it was.

Not Dukakis, since he was the guy the Horton thing was used against. According to wiki, it was Al Gore, during the primaries, and he didn't mention Horton in particular, just criticized the furlough program. It was the Bush campaign that started talking about Horton, and a Republican PAC who started showing his face in ads, just so everyone knew what his race was.

And, really, Horton was just one example of the negative attacks, many of them against Dukakis' patriotism, used by the GOP during that campaign. "What's his problem with the Pledge Of Allegiance", "Kitty Dukakis burned the American flag" etc.

And I get it, negative campaigning is part of politics, and the Democrats themselves are no slouches when it comes to that(though these days I think they usually avoid the racial angle, if only for electoral reasons). I'm just not quite buying the idea of Old Man Bush as the avatar of gentle persuasion in American politics.

wiki

• Didn't Old Man Bush once 'appear' as a guest voice in The Simpsons?
    :smile:
  • History will judge, but it has long been recognized that the evil a man does lives after him while the good is often interred with his bones. I disagreed with Papa Bush on policy and he was a politician (and thus already one of the lower classes of humanity), but I do not believe that he was devoid of goodness and I think he had more goodness in him than "political reality" (an oxymoron if ever there was one) would allow him to show.
  • I believe GHW Bush was the most recent president to actually go into Harms Way, as the saying goes. He may not have been outstandingly successful, but I am sure this gave him a different perspective to some others, both more and less recent.
  • Thanks for the laughs, June Whitfield.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-46712694
  • I missed that, so thanks for the link.
  • EnochEnoch Shipmate
    Oooh Ron.

That's sad. She has been in so many things over the years.
    She was a favourite of my dad's (they were about the same age) - I hope he's getting to meet her in Heaven.
  • RIPARIG Georges Loinger - rescuer of Jews in WW2.
    https://bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-46714673

Footballs, and gravediggers' ladder...the ingenuity of humane man, to overcome the inhumanity of man, is truly remarkable. You couldn't make it up!
    Re: Georges Loinger - I saw that. What a remarkable person he was!
  • Bishops FingerBishops Finger Shipmate
    edited December 2018
    And - in all fairness - by no means the only one who shielded/helped those persecuted by the unspeakable Nazis....

RIPARIG all those we don't hear or know about, but who did the same, as best they were able.

As Nazi-ism grows apace in Europe, doubtless there'll be more.
    ...As Nazi-ism grows apace in Europe, doubtless there'll be more.
    I hope that a new Nazification doesn't come to pass.

• HuiaHuia Shipmate
    Rosweisse - From your lips to God's ears.
    Ahh-men, Huia.
    edited April 2019
    Sad to see that anti-apartheid campaigner Sheena Duncan of the Black Sash has died at 77, of cancer. [Link is to NYT]

[edited to fix link - Piglet, AS host]
    Thank you, Piglet. I thought I had learned how to link here and must go and practise before trying again.
  • It may not be you. Some hassles around recently with links.
    edited April 2019
    That's true - I think it's been mentioned in the Styx. In this case it was a couple of extra "url" codes, but they may have sprung up of their own accord!

I suspect my ability to fix it was more down to luck than judgement ...
  • MelangellMelangell Shipmate
    RIP the amazing author and illustrator Judith Kerr, whose work has given pleasure to so many.
  • SarasaSarasa All Saints Host
    I'm celebrating Judith Kerr and her books too. The Tiger that Came to Tea and the Mog books were among my son's childhood favourites. He was fourteen when Goodbye Mog came out. I brought it home from work and read it to him and my husband. The three of us were in tears. The amazing power of children's picture books.
  • HuiaHuia Shipmate
    edited May 2019
    I read it in a public place - either a bookshop or the library, and I cried too. I sometimes imagine Georgie-Porgy giving Aroha the occasional piece of advice.
  • ZappaZappa Shipmate
    He won't be well known, ship-board, but this Melbourne Anglican human institution died the night before last. He was, as noted in the link, consecrated in 1970, so he's been knocking around a fair while. He was extraordinarily kind to me when I was a young theolog, freshly married and in a strange country, early in the '80s. Somehow he kept magically finding funds for my housing and/or training, funds which I have since often suspected came from his own pocket. He was even my next door neighbour for two years.

Vale, Bishop Jim: may you rest in peace and rise in glory.
  • Oh, Zappa, that's beautiful.
  • Gee DGee D Shipmate
    If it did come from his own resources, I don't think you were the first or last to benefit from his support. He was a good, sound churchman.
    Zappa wrote: »
    ...Vale, Bishop Jim: may you rest in peace and rise in glory.
    Even without your testimony, I would admire him for his work for Anglican church music and for the library. May he rest in peace and rise in glory, and may his memory be a blessing.
    Great tribute, Zappa.