Mark Betts you are a total plank

mr cheesymr cheesy Shipmate
Rarely have we seen a new shipmate who is as much of a prick as you. Congratulations.

Comments

• He doesn't seem to give a fig about making friends. Which may not be so bad as some people don't seem to like figs, strange people that they are.
  • Nobody likes figs really. There are some who say they do, but they're just lying to themselves and everyone else.

Anyway, back to Mark Betts.

• KarlLBKarlLB Shipmate
    Not so fast. Fig rolls are nice. *Now* back to Bettsy.
  • LuciaLucia Shipmate
    Is he a new shipmate? I thought I remembered him from the old ship, and that he was in much the same vein there. Or am I mixing him up with someone else?
  • It's a strange thing, but fig rolls taste almost nothing like figs.
  • Anyway, I've now taken away the reason to talk about figs.
  • KarlLBKarlLB Shipmate
    Lucia wrote: »
    Is he a new shipmate? I thought I remembered him from the old ship, and that he was in much the same vein there. Or am I mixing him up with someone else?

I think this too, but can't be arsed to look.
  • Doc TorDoc Tor Hell Host
    No, he was on the old Ship. His re-appearance was, shall we say, noted.
  • Mark Betts was the subject of a number of Hell threads on the Old Ship™, while he was around. His views don't seem to have mellowed, unlike some other returnees.

When he was trying to make the Martin thread all about him I wondered when he would garner his very own Hell thread.
  • One thing I can say for sure about him is that he has absolutely no idea how to carry on a rational discussion or debate.
  • RossweisseRossweisse Shipmate, 8th Day Host
    mousethief wrote: »
    One thing I can say for sure about him is that he has absolutely no idea how to carry on a rational discussion or debate.
    None at all. And he doesn't seem to understand the rather basic requirement to support his statements with reliable sources.

• All Christian traditions have representatives that are good, had or indifferent. Mark Betts does Orthodoxy no favours and none to Russian Orthodoxy in particular.

Trouble is, he doesn't perceive that in any way, shape or form and no doubt blames everyone else for the way he is received and perceived.

Rather than countering and modifying negative perceptions of what Russian Orthodoxy might be all about he simply ends up reinforcing them.

He must be among the worst ambassadors of any tradition or viewpoint aboard the Ship for many a while.

Trouble is, he can't see it.
  • Maybe he'll go from being an obnoxious Russian Orthodox convertitic to being a born-again atheist convertitic, like that guy whose name I disremember. Dang it what was his name?
  • RooKRooK Admin Emeritus
    Squiggle.
  • Andrew. Thank you.
  • Ahem, I'm hoping for some atheists (none of them shipmates) to convert away from atheism.
  • Curiosity killedCuriosity killed Shipmate
    edited December 4
    I have this niggle at the back of my brain that says Mark Betts has already converted a number of times. Each time decrying the previous church and anyone still a member of that church; the new church is all there is.
  • I couldn't care less.

This is much less about what Mark Betts believes and much more about his stubborn insistence that other people prove his assertions for him.

It's like talking to a particularly annoying five year old.
  • mr cheesymr cheesy Shipmate
    edited December 4
    Also he illustrates the phenomena that a shipmate with an unusual perspective demands that other people debate on his terms.

It appears that otherwise informed Orthodox shipmates are reluctant to weigh in on Mark Bett's pet issue - and yet he continues to berate everyone for not knowing what he knows.

Most of us admit we know little about the situation in Ukraine. Most of us are not Russian Orthodox and can only speak tangentially about the issue based on what we've read and heard.

Yes, that makes all of us biased and media-influenced and ignorant. Yes, we all know that the issues look different from different perspectives.

But fundamentally, we don't know. Coming to the discussion with the intention to berate others for not knowing "the truth" about the situation is hardly constructive.

• BoogieBoogie Shipmate
    Yep - he was on the Old Ship - he was very interested in priestly genitalia.
  • JonahManJonahMan Shipmate
    Boogie wrote: »

That thread was a load of old bollocks.
  • LeRocLeRoc Shipmate
    I have this niggle at the back of my brain that says Mark Betts has already converted a number of times. Each time decrying the previous church and anyone still a member of that church; the new church is all there is.
    Can't he convert to the new Church of Shutting the Fuck Up?

• BoogieBoogie Shipmate
    JonahMan wrote: »
    Boogie wrote: »

That thread was a load of old bollocks.

:lol: :lol:

• Rossweisse wrote: »
    One thing I can say for sure about him is that he has absolutely no idea how to carry on a rational discussion or debate.
    None at all. And he doesn't seem to understand the rather basic requirement to support his statements with reliable sources.

TBF, that's not a unique problem :wink:

I'm quite impressed ... Back less than a month or so and called to Hell for pulling the same old, same old already ...
  • LeRoc wrote: »
    Can't he convert to the new Church of Shutting the Fuck Up?

Quotes file.
  • I have this niggle at the back of my brain that says Mark Betts has already converted a number of times. Each time decrying the previous church and anyone still a member of that church; the new church is all there is.
    Not saying MB doesn't also fit this, but that description brings to mind a different person. I'll refrain mentioning the name for fear of summoning.

• mousethief wrote: »
    Maybe he'll go from being an obnoxious Russian Orthodox convertitic to being a born-again atheist convertitic, like that guy whose name I disremember. Dang it what was his name?....

...One thing I can say for sure about him is that he has absolutely no idea how to carry on a rational discussion or debate.

It shows what sort of a Christian you are doesn't it mousethief. You are a convert too, aren't you - and now a convert from the OCA to the Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America of the schismatic Constantinople Patriarchate - whom you bankroll to carry out the US administration's "projects".

You seem to wish for people to leave Christianity and become atheists? Shame on you.

Well that shows the sort of person you really are. A nasty snide condescending and arrogant twerp who tries to make himself "the face of Orthodoxy" on the ship.

And since when have you ever tried to have a proper rational debate with anyone, unless they agree with your liberal views in the first place?
  • Mark Betts wrote: »
    You seem to wish for people to leave Christianity and become atheists? Shame on you.

May I politely ask what you find the matter with atheists?
    No, wait, this is Hell.
    So, tell me.
    Not everyone who has rejected Christianity for atheism is dumb or a fool.
  • Mark BettsMark Betts Shipmate
    edited December 4
    Mark Betts wrote: »

May I politely ask what you find the matter with atheists?
    No, wait, this is Hell.
    So, tell me.
    Not everyone who has rejected Christianity for atheism is dumb or a fool.
    You're not a Christian, so the question doesn't concern you. I'd fully expect an atheist to want to de-convert Christians - I'd be surprised if you didn't.
  • mr cheesymr cheesy Shipmate
    edited December 4
    Maybe he'll go from being an obnoxious Russian Orthodox convertitic to being a born-again atheist convertitic, like that guy whose name I disremember. Dang it what was his name?....

...One thing I can say for sure about him is that he has absolutely no idea how to carry on a rational discussion or debate.

It shows what sort of a Christian you are doesn't it mousethief. You are a convert too, aren't you - and now a convert from the OCA to the Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America of the schismatic Constantinople Patriarchate - whom you bankroll to carry out the US administration's "projects".

Well that shows the sort of person you really are. A nasty snide condescending and arrogant twerp who tries to make himself "the face of Orthodoxy" on the ship.

And since when have you ever tried to have a proper rational debate with anyone, unless they agree with your liberal views in the first place?

And this just shows what you are: a contemptuous, pompus prick.

Why don't you go somewhere that you can be a convinced of an audience for your bullshit?

Do you have a shed?
    edited December 4
    mr cheesy wrote: »

Why don't you go somewhere that you can be a convinced of an audience for your bullshit?

Do you have a shed?

I couldn't give a shit what you think. Creep.
  • Point of Order, Chair.

Is Mark Betts "outing" another Shipmate?

Do you have a shed?

I couldn't give a damn what you think.

Brill. Find a couple of people who give a flying fuck what you think.

• Too thick to distinguish expectation from desire too, it seems. The only desire I've seen expressed in this thread is that Mark Betts STFU. One which I heartily share.
  • mr cheesy wrote: »
    Point of Order, Chair.

Do you have a shed?

You're just a creep, in case you missed it the first time.
    edited December 4
    Too thick to distinguish expectation from desire too, it seems. The only desire I've seen expressed in this thread is that Mark Betts STFU. One which I heartily share.
    That's OK - I wish you would too. I like how you presume to speak for everyone else on the board.
    Point of Order, Chair.

Do you have a shed?

I am many things, but I try very hard not to be a creep.

In contrast you are not even trying to be anything other than a total prick.
    Too thick to distinguish expectation from desire too, it seems. The only desire I've seen expressed in this thread is that Mark Betts STFU. One which I heartily share.
    That's OK - I wish you would too.

Yeah, because @Arethosemyfeet is famous for continually pontificating about.. oh wait.

FFS, get some insults that are actually relevant you lazy bastard.
    edited December 4
    Point of Order, Chair.

Do you have a shed?

I am many things, but I try very hard not to be a creep....

No, that's exactly what you are - go slither back into your hole.
    Point of Order, Chair.

Do you have a shed?

I can only conclude that you don't actually know the meaning of words. Are you literate?
    Point of Order, Chair.

Do you have a shed?

I can only conclude that you don't actually know the meaning of words. Are you literate?

Yes thanks - and I know a creep when I find one.
    Point of Order, Chair.

Do you have a shed?

A creep seems to be your definition of someone who doesn't play by your rhetorical rules.
  • KarlLBKarlLB Shipmate
    Bloody hell, what an utter knob!
    That's OK - I wish you would too. I like how you presume to speak for everyone else on the board.

Ok, new theory. Mark Betts is actually a not-very-sophisticated chat bot. The designers are working on the language parsing algorithms but currently when it draws a blank it just substitutes in random complaints culled from past hell threads in the hope it passes for a response. A literate human would have noticed that I made no claims to speak for anyone other than myself, I merely noted the desire expressed by a wide range of posters that you kindly fuck off, keep fucking off, and then when you've finished that fuck off again. They may not have used those precise words but the sentiment is certainly there.
    edited December 4
    Point of Order, Chair.

Do you have a shed?

A creep seems to be your definition of someone who doesn't play by your rhetorical rules.

I notice how nobody is defending you. That's funny isn't it? I know what "creep" means.
  • look it up - "creep" (noun, informal)
  • RooKRooK Admin Emeritus
    I notice how nobody is defending you.
    1. He doesn't need defending.
    2. You're an asshole, and everybody can see that. So why bother engaging?
    3. Technically, nobody likes mr cheesy - but I would place a very high probability that the majority agree with him in this case.
    4. Namely, that you're an asshole who would do better to shut all the fucks up.
    5. Even more technically, popularity is not the same as being right.
    6. Also, you are a lazy fucker for expecting people to prove things to you when all you do is make idiotic assertions.
    7. Because you're an asshole.
    Point of Order, Chair.

Do you have a shed?

You are hilarious.

That's isn't it?

Yes, quite extraordinary. But in contrast they are lining up to tell you to fuck off.
    I know what "creep" means.

As someone who has had teenage daughters, I also am aware what it means.

And I can assure everyone that I try very hard not to be creepy.
  • LeRocLeRoc Shipmate
    edited December 4
    I've been in Hell rather long. Insults fly fast here, but it has always had a history of cheering on insults that are witty and to-the-point, and frowning on those that are gratuitous and off-the-mark. I have some gripes with mr cheesy also, but calling him creepy definitely falls in the latter category.

If you want an example of an insult that hits the mark, I can give you one. You Mark Betts are an arsehole.
    Point of Order, Chair.

Do you have a shed?

You are hilarious.

That's isn't it?

Yes, quite extraordinary. But in contrast they are lining up to tell you to fuck off.
    I know what "creep" means.

As someone who has had teenage daughters, I also am aware what it means.

And I can assure everyone that I try very hard not to be creepy.

That's it, resort to childishness - it rather proves my point.
  • LeRoc wrote: »
    I've been in Hell rather long. Insults fly fast here, but it has always had a history of cheering on insults that are witty and to-the-point, and frowning on those that are gratuitous and off-the-mark. I have some gripes with mr cheesy also, but calling him creepy definitely falls in the latter category.

If you want an example of an insult that hits the mark, I can give you one. You Mark Betts are an arsehole.

LeRoc - so are you, and I suppose we'll have to agree to differ on cheesy's creepiness.