Time to talk 2020 or who do you see as our next leaders?

With the passing of the last WWII president, and the aging out of the baby boomers, maybe it is time to start talking about who will run (or stand) for the 2020 election.

I hope this tread can be separate from the Trump thread, though, without a doubt, he will have a big impact on the race.

Someone mentioned they through Joe Biden would be a good candidate.

I think not.

Age is a big factor.

I would much rather see a Gen X run or even an older millennial

We baby boomers have done enough damage.

I would prefer a female, but I cannot think of anyone in that category. Elizabeth Warren in many ways has the mind of a Gen Xer but she is 69 and is therefore a baby boomer,

But, this is not only an United States problem. Merkel is retiring. May is on her last legs.

Here is an article to get the discussion going.

Comments

• CrœsosCrœsos Shipmate
    edited December 2018
    There's already a thread on the 2020 elections, though one devoted specifically to the presidential race may have some utility.
  • From a generational standpoint the Baby Boomers seem to have gotten short-changed by how long the World War II generation held on to power. Every American president from Eisenhower through Bush I (that's eight presidents) was of that generation, representing forty years in power. By contrast the Boomers have held the presidency for twenty-six years so far and produced four presidents (Clinton, Bush II, Obama, and Trump).
  • I don't want to exclude people on the basis of age, especially not Elizabeth Warren. I love her policy platform and the reforms she has championed in her career. I worry about whether she has been wounded by attacks from conservatives in the same way Hillary has, and whether her programme is just too radical to get her the electoral college votes she needs. I also wonder whether she can do more in her current position to promote her agenda under a democratic president like Joe Biden.
  • Barnabas62Barnabas62 Purgatory Host, Dead Horses Host
    Crœsos wrote: »
    There's already a thread on the 2020 elections, though one devoted specifically to the presidential race may have some utility.

Fair point. On balance I think one thread is enough so I'll close this one and link the contents to the other one.

Barnabas62
    Purgatory Host
This discussion has been closed.