Cool Britannia (sort of): the British thread 2019

Comments

• Bishops FingerBishops Finger Shipmate
    edited January 13
    O dear - the Diet Ing imp strikes again!

Let's talk about the weather instead - we don't often do that....
    :wink:

A grey start here, but getting sunnier now - and still Very Mild Indeed. Not that I mind this, personally, but it does seem a little unnatural, even in Kent (and we often get sn*w here on the north coast of that fair county, blowing straight from Siberia on the Black Breath of Putin).

Ah, I remember the Big Freeze of 1962-63, when the sn*w was so deep that it came over the top of my wellies, making my little legs and feet all wet and cold....
    :cry:

Umm....can we mention ALE? Well, sort of - I have a nice bottle of Czech beer in the fridge, which I shall drink later with That Which Must Not Be Named.
    :smiley:
  • We have a thread for ale in Heaven! And lots of us have been talking about healthy food and rainbows, not temptations.
    edited January 13
    O - I'd better buzz off to Heaven, then (IYSWIM). I've not paid a visit to the Elysian Fields for quite some time....
  • balaambalaam Shipmate
    Fancying a BACON sandwich, I accordingly mobilised the Palace Frying-Pan, and placed in it some olive oil and some rashers of BACON. The Palace Stove duly obliged by providing me with a suitable filling for the said sandwich after no more than a few minutes' sizzling.
    :yum:

Tomato sauce was, of course, applied to the bread-and-butter beforehand.

Buttered bread for bacon sarnies, what are you thinking? The butter is used for frying the bacon then one side of the bread slice is dipped into the butter then bacon is added. My preferred sauce is HP. Bacon should be cooked fast until the edges start to become crisp but the centre of the rasher is soft.

Serve with unsweetened black coffee (not instant).

• balaambalaam Shipmate
    Boogie wrote: »
    My diet starts again tomorrow - so you can all stop talking about food, as of now!

:tongue:

My birthday is tomorrow so you can spend all day talking about CAKE.
  • balaam wrote: »
    Fancying a BACON sandwich, I accordingly mobilised the Palace Frying-Pan, and placed in it some olive oil and some rashers of BACON. The Palace Stove duly obliged by providing me with a suitable filling for the said sandwich after no more than a few minutes' sizzling.
    :yum:

Tomato sauce was, of course, applied to the bread-and-butter beforehand.

The butter is used for frying the bacon then one side of the bread slice is dipped into the butter then bacon is added.

You do realise, I hope, that the use of butter for this purpose is probably now illegal?
    :astonished:

• It'll be OK after March 29th.
    edited January 13
    O, please God - NOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

(Ahem. I do apologise for this unseemly outburst. I will forthwith compose myself by drinking WHISKY.)
  • I forgot - you're nearer the Continent than we are. We can all hide behind Offa's Dyke.
  • BoogieBoogie Shipmate
    balaam wrote: »
    My diet starts again tomorrow - so you can all stop talking about food, as of now!

:tongue:

My birthday is tomorrow so you can spend all day talking about CAKE.

Happy birthday for tomorrow!

🎂 🍰

• PigletPiglet All Saints Host, Circus Host
    My diet starts again tomorrow ...
    Diets always start tomorrow ... :wink:

I'm glad I made that SOUP last night (minestrone with rice) - along with the bread I made yesterday it should warm us up nicely. It's a glorious day - sunny and not a cloud in sight - but as the temperature has only risen to -13° (-19° with the wind-chill) it's jolly cold, even for this warm-blooded little piglet.

• It'll be OK after March 29th.

My birthday so we can talk about lots of nice non-political things. Including CAKE.
  • My wife's birthday too.
    edited January 13
    I forgot - you're nearer the Continent than we are. We can all hide behind Offa's Dyke.

Fog in the Channel - Europe isolated.....
    :flushed:

Today's Life Lesson: when laundering an elderly shirt with "foil dots" (i.e. sequins that have been stuck on rather than sewn) don't tumble-dry it.

If you do, the little sparkly bits (which have stayed put for the last 10 years) will detach themselves and cleave with frightening tenacity to most of the other garments in the load, in particular your Better Half's underwear.

:flushed: :flushed: :flushed:
  • Sorry, coming back a bit late, but banana pudding receipt here. It’s cooked in the microwave and ready in 20 minutes from start to finish. I suspect you could also bake or steam it, which might be even nicer, although I’ve never tried. I halved the quantities and it worked fine. I served it with crème fraiche because that’s what we had, but it’s also yummy with CUSTARD. And now I’ll stop talking about food for the present :wink:

The gas explosion was right on the opposite side of the city from where we live (with a gilets jaunes protest in the middle, which the wise stay well away from). Nothing to report from us.
  • Piglet wrote: »
    little sparkly bits
    I bought a top covered with stuck-on sparkly bits last spring. Not the first I've bought, but definitely the cheapest, and only bought because I needed something that colour in my wardrobe.

I knew it was a mistake as soon as I removed the outer wrapping from the package and a shower of sparkly bits fell on the floor. I moved to the garden to finish unwrapping it and scattered more sparkles on the path, so gave it a good shake and hung it on the line in a good stiff breeze for a couple of hours.

It still shed every time I moved it, so I turned it inside out, put it in a bag, shoved it in a drawer and forgot about it until we went away for a weekend and I wore it to travel in.
    By the time we reached our destination the areas where the car seat belt crossed my front, and down the sides where my arms brushed against it, were almost bald - and the car footwell was all glittery!
    It went in the bin - and will now be in landfill somewhere, adding to the plastic & man-made fibre pollution of the planet. :(

That was at the end of July, and we are still finding odd bits of sparkle in the carpets or the car.
    A lesson learned!

• Forgive me, I have sinned. I appear to have purchased two books on Italian baking, admittedly one is intended for my husband as he loves panettone and it has several appropriate recipes. But the other is mainly dessert and filled with lovely cheesecakes, most of which are low carb - my idea of dessert.
    Though I’m tempted to use up the two bananas in the fruit bowl on that banana pudding recipe.
  • Piglet wrote: »
    little sparkly bits
    In desperate need of some sparkle I bought some glittery trainers, and lo and behold created a sparky trail behind me as the glitter fell off. These trainers are now at the back of the wardrobe, replaced by some cheap Aldi glittery trainers which don’t shed sparkle at all.

I make a mean “minute chocolate microwave mug cake” with a whole pear in the middle (ok, so it takes more than a minute and is in a deep pudding bowl, but it’s the same recipe) which is yummy and i can easily convince myself that it is 2 of my 5 a day.
  • What a great idea, I might suggest my children put half a pear in the bottom of a chocolate mug cake later.
  • MooMoo Kerygmania Host
    But the other is mainly dessert and filled with lovely cheesecakes, most of which are low carb - my idea of dessert.

Would you please post some of them on the recipe thread?

• I’ll search out some of the traditional cheesecake recipes, don’t want to copy anything too original for copyright reasons.
  • On a slightly different note, I've decided to catch a trend for once in my life, and self-identify as a unicorn. Okay, two trends. That way, as my friend points out, I can sell my p** on the internet!

Mrs. S, the only unicorn in the Deep Dark Woods
  • Baptist TrainfanBaptist Trainfan Shipmate
    edited January 14
    Ah, but how do you know you're the only one? Someone else in the woods nearby might self-identify as another unicorn!
  • Hey, I’m a unicorn! That’s why I’m wearing green dreads in my avatar, it’s camouflage.
    I don't think we have any unicorns round these parts, but that might be because they've flown south for the winter. At -10°, I don't blame them, although it's a beautiful sunny day.

After finishing de-sparkling the laundry*, we had sausages and D's cheese PIE (which is really just slightly spicy, cheesy mash with onions that's baked in the oven) for lunch, and very nice it was too.

* I've no doubt we'll still be picking sparkles out of things for a while yet; I'm reminded of a costume (made by my mum) that I had to wear for an opera in my last year at school. It was made of shocking pink flocked lurex, which shed all over the place, and Mum was complaining of finding pink sparkles in the carpets nearly 20 years later.
  • BoogieBoogie Shipmate
    Sparkling laundry? Sounds unicornish to me!

🤔
    I hadn't thought of that ... :mrgreen:
  • Perhaps the Canadian unicorns have morphed into narwhals for the winter?
    edited January 14
    Not in this bit of Canada - I think we're probably too far south.

For all the silly temperatures I quote here, at 46°N we're actually several degrees further south than you, even if it doesn't feel like it sometimes!
  • Indeed you are - and it doesn't!
  • SarasaSarasa Shipmate
    I used to do craft events in the school library when I worked as a school librarian. It's amazing how far a bit of glitter will go.

We had a lovely day yesterday with our son. Walk across Richmond Park, stopping to have a chilly picnic on the way. Then a theatre visit to se Martin Jarvis read a couple of Jeeves and Wooster stories for Radio 4. Back home, where son made us some very nice soup and an evening playing board games. My sort of day.
  • I pointed out that glitter is on the list of unfriendly things to use ecologically at the Guide District meeting, which meant I thought we ought to stop using it in Guides / Brownies / Rainbows. That went down like a lead balloon with one leader. The rest of my group reckoned it was a good reason to stop, as we hate cleaning it up. Not helped by running a group in a hall after the Brownies and Rainbows who don't have time to clear up properly so leave us with glitter to clear up whether we've used it or not.
  • Sounds a lovely sort of day.
    I’ve had a dull day doing my usual Monday admin work and prepping for marking later in the week. For lunch I had an omelette with homemade garlicky curd cheese and for tea we had mushroom and lentil curry served with a fried egg. I am now sipping a rather hoppy Saltaire Cascade, which probably wouldn’t meet the strict criteria in the beer thread!
  • I pointed out that glitter is on the list of unfriendly things to use ecologically at the Guide District meeting, which meant I thought we ought to stop using it in Guides / Brownies / Rainbows. That went down like a lead balloon with one leader. The rest of my group reckoned it was a good reason to stop, as we hate cleaning it up. Not helped by running a group in a hall after the Brownies and Rainbows who don't have time to clear up properly so leave us with glitter to clear up whether we've used it or not.

One of our Rainbow groups did half a term on reducing use of plastics. So much tat gets produced that it’s nice to focus on activities and causes as an alternative. Glitter does get everywhere!
    edited January 14
    Indeed. We're still hoovering it up from the chancel floor after the various children's services/activities held over the Christmas period.

Mind you, it does reflect the light from altar and/or votive candles quite nicely.....
  • edited January 14
    Ah, but how do you know you're the only one? Someone else in the woods nearby might self-identify as another unicorn!

Drat - that's given the game away! The woods will be hooching with unicorns now ... though with any luck they won't be shedding glitter as they pass by.

Mrs. S, no longer unique :cry:
  • Wet KipperWet Kipper Shipmate
    edited January 15
    Piglet wrote: »
    I don't think we have any unicorns round these parts, but that might be because they've flown south for the winter.

Unicorns don't have wings - that's Alicorns /Pegacorns (part Unicorn, part Pegasus)
    As my daughter keeps reminding me when I mis-name her toys
  • finelinefineline Kerygmania Host
    There are ecologically friendly versions of glitter, though I’ve no idea how generally available or expensive they are. But I remember last time I went to Lush and was looking at the bath bombs, they told me the glitter was made from seaweed, and so biodegradable.
  • I've found some biodegradable glitter - £4 a small tube equivalent, as against £12.99 for 6 large tubs from Baker Ross. The biodegradable is not affordable for Guides when we need enough resources for 24 and are operating on a shoestring. (I am looking because the girls voted to make water globes, like snow globes, for one of their handicraft challenges. I can see I'm going to use sand! and maybe dye it with food colouring.
  • PuzzlerPuzzler Shipmate
    Am not feeling very sparkly this morning after a night of hardly any sleep. Have had to cancel my voluntary work as I am not fit to help anyone today. Fortunately this is very rare for me. I don’t know how insomniacs cope.
  • BoogieBoogie Shipmate
    Wet Kipper wrote: »
    Piglet wrote: »
    I don't think we have any unicorns round these parts, but that might be because they've flown south for the winter.

Unicorns don't have wings - that's Alicorns /Pegacorns (part Unicorn, part Pegasus)
    As my daughter keeps reminding me when I mis-name her toys

They really are the toy of the moment - my great niece is crazy about them!

🦄

• BoogieBoogie Shipmate
    edited January 15
    I've found some biodegradable glitter - £4 a small tube equivalent, as against £12.99 for 6 large tubs from Baker Ross. The biodegradable is not affordable for Guides when we need enough resources for 24 and are operating on a shoestring. (I am looking because the girls voted to make water globes, like snow globes, for one of their handicraft challenges. I can see I'm going to use sand! and maybe dye it with food colouring.

The sand would get washed clean and the water would be coloured. But you can get coloured sand.

🤔

• I worked that one out after I posted. Thinking it through, this whole project is really not environmental. Jam jars are not an option as they are too likely to break and hurt someone, so we are going to have to buy in plastic globes. Although I might start saving up some plastic tubs and see if they work. Sodding handicraft competition with all the tasks set to be fun by someone who is into the naffest of crafts.
  • ... glitter is on the list of unfriendly things to use ecologically ...

Wonder if I can use that to discourage a clergyperson of my acquaintance firing glitter cannons at the icon of Our Lady after she has been garlanded on Easter day....
  • MrsBeakyMrsBeaky Shipmate
    kingsfold, please tell me this is a joke?!
    I find that really weird.....
  • Nope. Really not a joke.

On Easter morning we sing Jesus Christ is risen today, then have a fanfare as we turn to the icon of Our Lady. She gets a garland of flowers and we sing a version of the Regina Caeli. And then (or during this) a couple of glitter cannons are fired.

At least one of the congregation had it as a video on their (I think) twitter feed. cant' find it though. Suffice it to say, it's a PITA to clean up.

• Environmental concerns could make it prohibitively expensive :wink: - really, having checked the costs of biodegradable glitter.
  • I seem to remember making snow globes in school and using desiccated coconut for the snow
  • Sadly it's not snow I need - these are globes portraying "under the sea" - and the obvious solution would be blue/green/silver glitter, but
    1. the mess is going to be horrible and a pain to clean up in a joint use hall,
    2. I really don't want to buy glitter if it's been listed as a problem ecologically