Cool Britannia (sort of): the British thread 2019

Comments

• Well done - a good turnout is vital, especially this time round, IMHO.
  • I shall drink it (well, some of it) tomorrow, either in Delight, or in Despair.
    We didn't know you had TWO boats.

• PigletPiglet All Saints Host, Circus Host
    Wishing you all wisdom and discernment as you vote.

I'm just back from a lovely lunch at Café Rouge with Cottontail, and a spot of further retail therapy (a navy bag, gloves and scarf to go with the jacket I bought yesterday).

One of these days I must get round to writing a few Christmas letters and cards ...
  • Well done - a good turnout is vital, especially this time round, IMHO.

I've seen pictures on-line of people queueing at polling places and noticed little if any rain. I was in London the week of the Brexit vote, and I remember torrential rain the actual day of the vote. I've often wondered if that had any effect, one way or the other. I'm glad to see that the weather shouldn't be keeping many people home today.

Prayers continue, as I notice the polls are about to close.
  • Before Christmas would be good... :wink:
    I shall drink it (well, some of it) tomorrow, either in Delight, or in Despair.
    We didn't know you had TWO boats.

Only when I've a drop too much WHISKEY. Then, I have to be Very Careful as to which one I try to board...or leave...the river tends to be bit damp, likewise (and also sticky) the mud.
  • Baptist TrainfanBaptist Trainfan Shipmate
    edited December 2019
    Pigwidgeon wrote: »
    There's another 4 1/2 hours to go, actually! So keep praying.

• Yes - the 'I'll vote after work' crowds are on their way!

And here, at least, it's stopped raining...
  • DooneDoone Shipmate
    Pigwidgeon wrote: »
    Well done - a good turnout is vital, especially this time round, IMHO.

I've seen pictures on-line of people queueing at polling places and noticed little if any rain. I was in London the week of the Brexit vote, and I remember torrential rain the actual day of the vote. I've often wondered if that had any effect, one way or the other. I'm glad to see that the weather shouldn't be keeping many people home today.

A lot of wind and rain here, horrible (Somerset), but it is calming down now with 3 hours to go. No idea if it has affected turn out - no queues, but looked steady (though, without a miracle, please Lord, JRM will get in anyway 😭).
  • mrs whibleymrs whibley Shipmate Posts: 27
    Voted here, then quickly to the pub to remove the lingering bad taste in the mouth. I recall 'Polling Stations' previously being called ‘ Polling Places'. Was that my youth, or the more recent decade or so spent in Scotland?
  • From the Scottish government website:

A ‘polling place’ is defined as the building or area in which a polling station will be located. A ‘polling station’ is the room or area within the polling place where voting takes place. Unlike polling districts and polling places which are fixed by the local authority, polling stations are chosen by the (Acting) Returning Officer for the election.
  • DooneDoone Shipmate
    Sounds like a real majority for Johnson, according to the exit polls (which are likely to be accurate). I feel sick and depressed. Lord have mercy 🕯
  • So. We have an exit poll

:(

• Wait and see - but it looks as though the worst is about to happen...

Kyrie eleison.
  • I don't wish to raise false hopes, but there have been instances in which the exit polls were incorrect, or, at least, notably off the mark.
  • Yes, that is so.

We live in hope (just about)...
  • I gather that they poll the same 144 constituencies every time,for consistency. But I have been thinking that a lot of seats are going to change hands this time. Maybe that may affect the accuracy of the exit poll?
  • Not sure our local voters have turned out in great numbers.

I saw one other person go into the Polling Station, but that was at 07:30. Mr RoS voted at 13:30, and didn't see anyone else there, and as he spent the afternoon playing scrabble in another room of the Polling Place he passed the Polling Station on his way out, at 16:00, and did not notice any activity.

It has rained heavily almost all day, so maybe everyone rushed up there in a dry spell?
  • I’m just back from around 18 hours at “my” polling station today. Despite the heavy rain the turnout was almost twice what it had been in previous elections so that meant 132 voters, 1 baby, 4 kiddies but no dogs this time. Not really looking forward to hearing tomorrow’s news.
  • Also back from poll clerking so a bit on the knackered side. Astoundingly awful weather did not help the turn-out, which was fine but not great, but happy for the number of first time voters.

Wakefield is being targeted so am not greatly hopeful.
  • mrs whibleymrs whibley Shipmate Posts: 27
    Cathscats wrote: »
    From the Scottish government website:

A ‘polling place’ is defined as the building or area in which a polling station will be located. A ‘polling station’ is the room or area within the polling place where voting takes place. Unlike polling districts and polling places which are fixed by the local authority, polling stations are chosen by the (Acting) Returning Officer for the election.

Thanks!
    Oh dear. :cry:
  • Piglet wrote: »
    indeed. I am questioning who are these aliens that I live amongst, who have made this decision. I obviously move in a very different world because I know hardly anyone who would have done this.

Pretty much sums it up. May God have mercy on us all.
    daisydaisy wrote: »
    ... I know hardly anyone who would have done this.
    Same here - I can think of literally only a handful of my friends who would vote Tory or who think Brexit is a good idea.

It's a very depressing thought.
  • O happy Scotland, though!

Well, sort of. Hopefully, that fair land will be able to become independent before Brex*t takes place...
  • Don't bet on it. I can see Boris just saying "no" every time he's approached.
  • I'm hoping that the BJ we've seen so far will morph into something more central and nuanced.
  • Well, I hope he'll morph into something...though not necessarily along the lines you suggest!
    Wet Kipper wrote: »
    Don't bet on it. I can see Boris just saying "no" every time he's approached.

Yes, no doubt he will, so I'm wondering how long it'll be before the SNP loses patience, and goes for UDI. BBC News, the source of all Truth™ reckons that a constitutional crisis is imminent.

Apologies to Hosts - this is not the right thread for such comments, I know. I shall hie me off instanter to Purgatory (and Hell...).
  • I wish someone - anyone - could tell me precisely WHY Brexit is a Good Idea, though using words like "We won, you lost..." or "snowflake".....
    And I really would like someone to tell me why, precisely, another 5 years of Conservative-led government with a lack of any effective Opposition is going to be Good News for the poor, the elderly, the sick ...indeed, for anyone beyond a very small circle of people who are so rich they don't care.

Even tea can't fix this.
  • Neither can WHISKEY...though I'm trying, really I am...
    :scream:
  • Maybe next year’s British thread should be “up the creek without a paddle “ or “going to hell in a handcart”.
    Lord, have mercy on this land.
  • GONE to Hell in a Handcart, certainly...
    :cold_sweat:
  • I agree with all the previous speakers - Lord, have mercy indeed. What we need now is a capable Labour Leader who can stand up to anyone, and preferably reveal their lies, weaknesses etc. etc. at PMQ.

But is he/she likely to arise?
  • In one of the main swing seats from Labour to Conservative and not sure what to do with myself. :cry: Given we're at the sharp edge of austerity cuts I'm furious but unsurprised.
  • Bishops FingerBishops Finger Shipmate
    edited December 2019
    Well, with all due respect to a man of integrity, it does look as though poor Mr Corbyn has been weighed in the balances, and found wanting. I feel very sorry for him - what a sad end to his career.

Alas, no immediate successor, worthy and able to stand up to the forces of darkness, appears to be available...

If there had been a chance of an interim PM leading a government of national unity, I'd nominate Caroline Lucas, but...there wasn't. Satan has triumphed, at least for now...
    Meanwhile, we poor Englanders (I no longer use the term 'United Kingdom', for that it is obviously NOT) carry on as best we can.

At least it's stopped bl**dy raining here.
    It was really quite a nice day here - not especially warm, but not unpleasantly cold either.

I went into town and hence on the tram to the Gyle shopping centre - I'm trying to familiarise myself with the public transport here in readiness for moving - and the ambles between house, bus stops and tram stops were quite enjoyable.

The only problem is having to keep a shedload of change in my wallet for bus fares. When I move here, I'll probably get myself a season ticket of some sort (although my sister pointed out that I'll only need to wait a couple of years before I qualify for a free one)! :flushed:
  • Edinburgh is behind the times. Our local buses do contactless.
  • They do in Edinburgh too, or at least they did in the summer.
  • Pretty dejected by the election result. Astonished by just how well the Tories did! And all this was after Boris Johnson hid from Andrew Neil, hid from a picture of a boy in a hospital, hid in a bloody fridge.

I live in London, where there was actually no net change of seats.
  • Our buses are bringing contactless in, or there are several different operator smart cards, including a council-run one that is truly inter-operator without costing a small fortune.
  • shamwarishamwari Shipmate Posts: 35
    Pretty dejected by the election result. Astonished by just how well the Tories did! And all this was after Boris Johnson hid from Andrew Neil, hid from a picture of a boy in a hospital, hid in a bloody fridge.

I live in London, where there was actually no net change of seats.

why is everybody so astonished and upset when the alternative to Boris was Jeremy?
    Because ... Brexit? Lies? Poverty? Decimation of the Health Service? How many reasons would you like?
    In happier news, I'd be v. grateful if those of a praying turn of mind would do so - I had a message from my estate agent today, and she said "Fingers crossed - keep checking your messages - I'm expecting an offer today".

I'm trying (and failing) not to get excited, but am indeed crossing everything crossable.

• DooneDoone Shipmate
    Oh, fingers crossed @Piglet 🙂! And totally agree with your comments regarding Brexit outcome and Tory lies ☹️.
  • Episcopal Digits duly crossed also!
    @shamwari - was that a serious question? JC, for all his shortcomings, is at least a man of some integrity.
    :angry:
  • Piglet, you're in my prayers every morning, but maybe I should add a request to St. Joseph as well, since he seems to head up the department of home sales.

Talons crossed...
  • Oh I so hope you get an offer. Everything crossed!
    Offer now forthcoming! It's a little less than I'd hoped for, but it should be enough to give me a bit of wiggle-room when I try to buy something here.

The catch? They want the closing date to be 13th January, and I'm not back from Scotland until late on the 9th ... <eek>
  • Fingers crossed you can do it @Piglet.
  • Yup. The trick to doing a move with little/no time on site is to make lists of what you know you want to bring back and where it is, and to arrange for packing cases/ boxes to be on-hand as soon as you get through the door. If bulky furniture is coming back then arrange shipping and book a hotel room for your last night.
    Offer now forthcoming! It's a little less than I'd hoped for, but it should be enough to give me a bit of wiggle-room when I try to buy something here.

The catch? They want the closing date to be 13th January, and I'm not back from Scotland until late on the 9th ... <eek>

Oh fabulous news! Lists and more lists seem to be very helpful.
This discussion has been closed.